Unexpected Surprise/ Chaennie

Words are all I have (to take your heart away)

Smol Chaennie Drabble in honor of our favorite chipmunk's birthday.

-----------------------------

“I can’t believe you’re really doing it.”

“I know, Rosie hates unwrapping presents.”

Today was Chaeyoung’s birthday as far as the blonde knew, Jennie was busy the entire day with a shoot, but really she was actually at Red Velvet’s dorm, getting help from Irene wrapping her presents, well present actually. Jennie thought for a long while what should get for a present, they had been dating for over four years, before they even debuted so really what can you give the girl who already has everything. Jennie had already gifted her a guitar, color pencils, sketchbooks, stuffed toys, so she was running out of ideas. Ultimately after a talk with Jisoo she decided that maybe popping the question on her birthday wasn’t a bad idea.

She had been wanting to do so for a while, since their coachella performance actually, something about having fun and letting their inhibitions out, watching the blonde be happy and free on stage just made her heart even more sure that the blonde was the one she was meant to be with. While they were in Australia, Jennie had asked the Parks for their blessing and of course they said yes. Mrs Park even gave her the ring her grandmother got married with, which was given to her her husband, Mr. Park and now it Chaeyoung’s turn to have it.

Alice from her side was exactic the girl that her sister had talked non-stop about since she moved to Korea was not only perfect for her in every way but so in love with her she was asking her to marry her. Jisoo and Lisa was incredibly happy and supportive as well. It has been a year since then and finally she was going to pop the question. It was the blonde’s birthday and so what better gift than this.

She had thought endlessly how to propose, but everything seemed to cliche having dinner was overdone plus too many people watching, travelling elsewhere was out of the question what with their upcoming comeback they needed to be here. Ultimately it was Lisa and Jisoo who came up with the idea. So,five boxes, each smaller than the last, and the ring in the last one. Would Chaeyoung be annoyed? Definitely but the end result would make it all worth it.

So right now, Chae was back at the apartment with the idea that Jennie was busy and unable to answer texts. Lisa and Jisoo were distracting her and would take her out for a few hours while Jennie set everything up at their dorm.

“You know this is going to annoy her to no end right?” Irene asked.

Jennie nodded wrapping the final box and carefully putting tape to keep it place. “Do you think she’ll say yes?”

“The girl is head over heels in love with you, I think that’s a given..”

“You think she’ll like the ring?”

“The ring was her mother’s, pretty sure that’s a given to.”

“Right, I’m cool, nothing to be nervous about.”

“Sure you are.”

---------------------------------

That afternoon while Chaeyoung was out with the other two girls, Jennie had gotten back home, set up the dinner table and made Kimchi stew, Chaeyoung’s favorite. The present was inside her room all wrapped and Jennie, Jennie was cool, nothing to be nervous about.

So a few hours later Jennie was pacing back and forth their leaving room waiting for the blonde to come back, when she heard the door open she stopped pacing and looked as Chaeyoung walked into the apartment, looking at the dinner table it was clear Jennie had not been at a shoot as she had told her this morning. It was also clear why Jisoo and Lisa did not came up with her but rather stayed in the car due to a “previous commitment.”

“Hi, baby.”

“I thought you had a shoot today.”

“I lied.” Jennie smiled sheepishly, she then took Chayeoung’s hand and brought her closer giving her a small peck on the lips.”But I think you’ll forgive me.” She pulled the blonde towards the dinner table and pulled out her chair for her. “I made your favorite.”

“Kimchi stew?” The blonde said happily.

Jennie chuckled. “What else?”

Chaeyoung watched as Jennie served the plates, making sure her plate was filled to the rim, she notices, there’s a plate full of green peppers on the table, and her favorite vinyl playing in the background. Is in this moment when she realizes how much she’s loved by the other girl and how much the other girl loves her.

“So, what did you do today?”

This was one of the favorite things about their relationship, the fact that they could start a conversation with one single question and make it last for hours without running of something to talk about. And when they didn’t they could be in comfortable silence, just cuddling or sharing the same space. Jennie told Chaeyoung she wanted to take her out for dinner but she wanted Chaeyoung all to herself tonight. Of course Jisoo and Lisa would be back but much later in the night.

After dinner was done, Jennie told Chae dessert would be coming later thanks to Jisoo and Lisa who were picking up her favorite cake. In the meantime it was time for the present. The big moment.

Jennie cleared the table and pulled Chaeyoung to the living room asking her to please sit down while she went to get her present,

“Jen...you didn’t have to get me anything.” The blonde said after seeing the box in Jennie’s hands.

“Shh..” The brunette gently shut her up with a peck. “I wanted to. So please let me spoil you for once.” She said referring to the fact that Chaeyoung was usually the one who filled Jennie with little gifts, small drawings on her napkins, a post in with her morning juice, sweet text messages etc… Jennie liked being taken care of. But at the same she wanted to take care of her girlfriend. Maybe she wasn’t as open with declarations of love but she tried to show her in differents ways. Like the way she made her breakfast every morning, the gentle way she wakes her up, helping put on her coat and scarf before she goes out. Hopefully with this she can show her how much she loves her and even then she knew it wouldn’t be enough to describe it.

“Still you didn’t have to, baby.” She said as she finished unwrapping the fist box not looking up.

Jennie shifted in her seat nervously. “I know but I’ve had this hidden for a while, I’m actually surprised you didn’t find it sooner.”

Chaeyoung chuckled and gave her a pointed look. “Have you been in my room?” She said knowing how her room was cluttered with stuff. “Even if you had left it in plain sight I don't think I would’ve found it.” She said smiling before sighing. “Really another box?”

Jennie shrugged as she left her wine glass aside. “You know the first time I met you, this little girl from Australia with her guitar, I didn’t know how much you would change my life.”

Chaeyoung stopped for a second. “Babe…”

“Keep going.” Jennie encouraged her, knowing she had gone through the second box and was working on the third one. “You know what I thought the first time I saw you? I thought you were the most beautiful girl I have ever seen, and I knew I just had to talk to you somehow.”

The blonde smiled and blushed before rolling her eyes. “Seriously… how many more?”

“You’re doing well so far.” The brunette chuckled. “Just keep going, baby, you’ll love it I promise.”

“Jennie, I swear to God…”

“And then I got to know you and I found out you weren’t only beautiful on the outside, but the inside as well.” The brunette’s eyes were sparkling and her heart was beating a mile a minute because Chaeyoung was pretty much done with the third box and was now working on the fourth. “You’re the kindest, most generous, compassionate person I’ve ever met. You are one of a kind Roseanne Park.”

As Chaeyoung unwrapped the final fox, Jennie went down on one knee. The blonde’s breath hitched at the sight of the velvet box and she looked at Jennie questioningly only to have her heart stop at the sight of the brunette kneeling down on one knee in front of her.

“What? Are you…”

Jennie smiled. “Oh yeah, this is happening.” She said and with shaky hands she took the box from Chaeyoung’s hand and opening it, showing her the ring. The blonde’s eyes filled with tears at the sight of it, because she knew that ring, she had seen it on her mother’s fingers and there was only one way that Jennie could’ve gotten it and if she had it then it mean this wasn’t a spour of the moment thing but something that Jennie had actually thought about and even talked to her parents about which meant the world to her.

“Now, where was I?” She pauses for a moment before she continues. “You’re my best friend, you’re my favourite person. I don’t know how you do it but one smile from you, and I feel like I can fly.” The brunette paused swallowing. “I’ve had this ring for like eight months now, and I tried to find a way to propose and I racked my brain for a way to explain how much you mean to me. But I couldn't find anything that got even remotely close.” She continued, with her shaky hands removing the ring from the box.

“You make me want to be better person, you make me stronger, I know I can do anything with you by my side. I love you more than I thought I ever could and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. So Roseanne Park will you marry me?

There’s definitely tears in Chaeyoung’s eyes now as she nods and before either of them knew it, the blonde’s arms were around Jennie, both girls on the floor, pulling her into a hug. “Yes,” She repeats this time whispering into Jennie’s shoulder as she held her close, She then cups her cheeks pulling her close for a kiss. One they linger on for a moment, enjoying the warmth, comfort and love of the kiss.

“I love you so much.” The blonde says after pulling away.

“I love you too.”