Dr. Lau

You're My... Destiny?!

Here we go, everyone! Chapter 2, for all my wonderful subscribers and co-author. Here's Henry!

====

Chapter 2

                “So, how were my results, Henry?” Hyoyeon asked her doctor cheerfully, lying back on the examination table. Her shirt, which was quite small and tight on her, revealed her toned stomach, as well as a pierced belly button. Henry, being modest, glanced down at his clipboard and cleared his throat.

                “Ahem. Miss Hyoyeon, I’ve told you before, call me Dr. Lau,” he replied. 

                “Aw, Henry! I thought we were friends!” Hyo pretented to look offended. Henry just sighed.

                “Hyoyeon, I’m being serious. I’m afraid I have some bad news.” There was a worried look on his face.

                “What? Am I going to die in a month?” Hyoyeon joked.

                Henry pursed his lips in a tight frown, and looked down to the floor.

                Hyoyeon widened her brown eyes. “Am I going to die, Henry?” She searched his face.

                Her doctor exhaled deeply, then slightly nodded. “I’m sorry Hyoyeon. It seems that you have contracted the disease your parents died from, and we caught it too late. You have about a few months left. All you can do is try to find a blood donor, but the chances of finding a safe match so quickly are one in a million, especially since you have a special condition.” After saying this, Henry looked into his patient’s eyes and saw fear, worry. He wanted to somehow comfort her, all he could do was pat her hand gently.

                Hyoyeon sat, thinking hard. Oddly Doctor Lau’s hand somehow seemed to help calm her, and she made the decision to deal with this situation with as little tears as possible. What she said next surprised him. “I need you to do something for me, Henry. Whatever you do, please don’t tell anybody about my condition. Please.” Henry couldn’t take his eyes away from Hyoyeon’s hard gaze.

                “I don’t think I can,” he began.  

                “I can’t stand the thought of making anyone sad,” she simply said, not caring that she had just cut him off.

                If this were any other patient, Henry would have explained the rules of his profession, and why he could not withhold information that affected someone’s life.

                But this was Hyoyeon.

                His sunniest patient, the one who made check-ups, he had to admit, fun. He couldn’t just outright refuse. “I can’t keep this from everybody,” Doctor Lau said as his patient bowed her head dejectedly. “But, I promise I will only tell a couple nurses who will be sworn to secrecy. I’m going to need help if we want to find you a blood donor.” A gasp was heard and Hyoyeon’s head snapped up, glittering trails of silent tears visible on her face.

                “Eeeeeeeeeeek!” she squealed, and flung her arms around the momentarily startled doctor’s neck. “Thank you, thank you so much, Henry! You’re a true friend.” Hyoyeon spoke into the crook of his neck.

                Henry, who had stiffened up when his patient squealed, let himself exhale and relax in her embrace, and said, “No problem. It’s the least I could do, Hyoyeon.”

 

                When Hyoyeon left the medical clinic, she seemed to be in the exact same mood as she was in before she went in for her check-up, except now there was a fire of determination behind her eyes. She pulled out her cellphone and dialed a number.

                “Annyeong, Taeyeon-ah! Are you busy later tonight? No? Then let’s go out to a bar tonight; I want to meet someone.”