Desperate Times Call For Desperate Measures

You're My... Destiny?!

A/N: Already?! I can't believe this is happening already. Don't know what I'm talking about? Read the chapter to find out! Again, I feel like I could have added more detail or something, I don't know. If there's anything that seems awkward, please tell me so I can edit it! Thanks~

Oh, yeah, this chapter was inspired by a scene from Gilmore Girls, an AWESOME show. <3

====

Chapter 4

                Hyoyeon held her breath and waited.

                “Hyoyeon, breathe normally. Your results will be worse if you act like you’re dead,” Henry reminded as he used a stethoscope to examine the usually talkative girl. She followed his instructions and straightened her back.

                “Sorry, it’s just, I’m so nervous. I have so much I want to do in my life, and I’m scared that maybe I won’t get to do it all,” she said.

                 He put the cold metal on her skin and listened, then straightened up and wrote something on her file on the supplies table in silence.

                “Well, how are my results?” she asked.

                Henry cleared his throat quietly, and Hyoyeon’s face dropped. “Oh, no. You mean it’s getting worse?” she lamented.

                “I didn’t even say anything,” he commented.

                “But I know you, Henry. Anytime you clear your throat, you give me bad news. And I’ve been hearing a lot of that lately,” she explained. Henry felt a pang of sympathy for Hyo.

                “I’m sorry,” was all he could say. Hyoyeon sighed and just asked how long she had left to live. “Two months, three months max.” Henry quietly said.

                “Three months, three months!” Hyoyeon put her head in her hands. Three months. That was all she had left. Just three months to find a husband and get married. Hyoyeon was at a loss, she did not know what to do.

                “I’m very sorry,” Henry repeated. Then he added, “We’re still looking for a donor, so you might have a chance. However, our database hasn’t put something up yet. If there’s anything else I could do, I will try to the best of my ability to do it.”

                “No, Henry, it’s okay. You don’t have to do anything anymore,” she said miserably. “You don’t have to go to such great lengths for me.”

                 “I don’t have to, but I want to,” he answered.

                Tears began to well up in Hyoyeon’s beautiful brown eyes. “Why? What’s the point, Henry!” she cried out.

                “I want to give you the best chance possible to live,” the doctor began.

                Hyoyeon was about to spout out another objection when he continued, “Because we’re friends. And I care about you.”

                Something spurred in Hyoyeon’s heart. She was touched by Henry’s words, and at the same time, inspired. What he said prompted her to think of something that she hadn’t thought of before. She took her face out of her hands and stared into her doctor’s eyes. “You said you would do anything?” she asked, wanting to make sure he was serious in his offer. He nodded.

                “Henry,” she started. Her eyes reflected determination, but also a hint of desperation. The doctor sensed that something big was about to happen, but stood still and paid attention to her next words.

                Silence seemed to engulf the examining room. His eyes were locked onto hers; he was hypnotized.

                “..Will you marry me?”

                Henry’s eyes widened and his mouth formed an O. Out of surprise, he mumbled, “O-, okay.”