Sacrifice

You're My... Destiny?!

Chapter 10

                Henry paced up and down the hospital corridor, running his hands through his hair. He kept raving at himself for being so stupid. He should have seen the signs sooner. Now that it was too late, all the clues were clearly piecing together in the doctor’s mind.

                Hyoyeon had been tired. She mentioned that she felt cold at the dinner table, and according to Taeyeon, she wasn’t eating enough. Hyoyeon’s normally sweet voice was gruff. And it had been 3 months since his own diagnosis.

                Frustrated, Henry continued pacing until her turned and bumped into an old woman.

                It was Hyoyeon’s grandmother, accompanied by a nurse.

                Henry tried to say something to explain, or maybe to comfort, but what came out instead was, “I’m sorry.”

                The elderly woman smiled and said to Henry, “Don’t worry.” Then she turned to the nurse and said, “Prep me for the surgery, please.”

                “Wait, what?” Henry thought he had misheard.

                “I’m going into surgery so my granddaughter can live. I found out I’m a good match, so I’ll be her donor,” Hyo’s grandmother explained patiently.

                “But you can’t! You’ll probably die!” Henry sputtered.

                “It’s my choice,” she said quietly. She gave the man a last comforting hug, then walked through the doors at the end of the hall without another word.

                Henry stood in disbelief until he felt a pair of hands at his back.

                “To Henry and Hyo, once she has awakened,” Taeyeon read outloud from the piece of paper that was taped onto Henry’s shirt, and handed the folded note to the distraught doctor.

 

                Hyoyeon opened her eyes. A white ceiling stared back at her. She turned to her left, and what she saw was disconcerting.

                Her granny was on the other bed in the room, seemingly in a peaceful sleep. But in her gut, Hyo knew the truth. Tears began to trickle down from her eyes, and she turned her face away from the body that no longer breathed.

                On her right, she found her husband asleep in one of the uncomfortable hospital chairs, one of his hands clutching a piece of unfolded paper. At the sight of him, with his hair all frowzy like a bird’s nest, Hyoyeon smiled slightly.

               

                When one of the nurses walked in, she found Hyoyeon a crying, laughing  mess, reading a note with her husband, now awake, by her side.

 

 ====

A/N: Not gonna lie, I've been feeling a bit 'below par' lately. I've been feeling stuck in all my current stories. And I'm sick, as I have been for the past week, so I'm not in the best mood. But I think I've gotten stuff figured out (at least for this story) and am ready to post the last chapter sometime this week, the latest day 4-3-2011 (the 4th day of the 3rd month of 2011, people. not april. that's way too late). However, as I stated earlier, been feeling iffy, so I'm not very confident in this story as I was. Sorry to be such a downer, especially after posting such a lame, short, chapter. you all deserve better. :'(

On another note, I've really come to love tumblr.