Hunger

A Whole New World (PAUSED)

NO ONE’S POV:
 

It was impossible for Taemin to sleep that night. Every time he tried to move into a comfortable position it felt like a million daggers were stabbing into his back. He couldn’t sleep near the others either, in case they rolled on top of him (as usual), so he shivered into the night.

It was uncomfortable to lie on his stomach. It was hard to breath and sticks poked into his stomach. With much pain he had sat himself up and stared at the sky. This was long after the others had drifted off and their light snores and breathing could hardly be heard over the strange clicking and croaking noises of bugs.

But the sky, oh boy, he had never seen anything as beautiful. It was not black, as it was in cities like Seoul, but in fact a deep glowing blue.

And the stars!

Taemin was mesmerized at the magnificent sight. There were millions of them, sparkling in the sky, like thousands of freckles. The moon was golden, a rare sight indeed! Taemin thought deeply.

A golden moon… doesn’t that mean it’s like harvest time in some country?

Taemin felt pleased that he knew this and felt very wise. After all, he thought, no one else is awake to see this glorious sight! The soft crashing of the waves in the background was calming.

His stomach growled and rumbled. He was still hungry and his mouth already felt dry. His back felt better though, after the coconut flesh was placed on his wounds. His eyes caught a falling star, flashing across the sky.

He crossed his fingers and toes and scrunched up his eyes. I wish that we will get rescued tomorrow! And that everything will go back to normal! And that I won’t have any scars from these gashes on my back!

I wish-

Suddenly Taemin yawned. He was more tired than he thought. Stiffly he lay himself down on his stomach, after brushing away various sticks and leaves. His eyes closed shut almost immediately. They felt as heavy as… as…

 

~~~

 

Taemin’s sleep was a fitful one. Drifting in and out of sleep, his dreams turned into nightmares, causing him to wake up in a cold sweat after rolling on his injury multiple times. It was early in the morning, before it began to turn light, that he decided that he would drowsily stay awake.

Half-consciously he watched the grass in front of him appear, until the light was a dim grey. He thought he heard someone get up, but he ignored it. He fell into a light sleep once more.

 

~~~

 

Onew clutched his stomach in pain. It was early morning, only a faint grey light to see by, but he felt wide-awake. Over and over again, his stomach cramped, empty and craving for food. He hadn’t eaten in almost 24 hours, and that had only been a small piece of coconut. Other than that he hadn’t eaten for about 40 hours! Almost two days.

Food. He needed food!

Struggling up her peered around in the dim light. The sand was white and the water was a colour darker than black. There were no waves, leaving the inky water calm and flat, like glass.

Small objects lay around the beach. Too small to be a human and they were strangely shaped. Onew stumbled towards them and collapsed on his knees when he got to the nearest one.

He eyes grew wide, recognising one of his suitcases. They must of fallen off the deck too. His hands shaking, he dialled in the correct numbers and, with a click, it unlocked. His heart thumped and he opened up the case slowly.

He grinned.

He was saved.

~~~

 

 

Thump!  Thump! CRACK!!

Taemin’s eyes jerked open and he sat up quickly. He held his head as the blood rushed to his head, making him black out momentarily. He must have fallen asleep for only a few minutes. The sun was just beginning to peak over the still, black waters of the ocean.

His back didn’t feel as painful, only a continuous ache and stiffness bothered it. He stood up and almost fell again, his back exploded with sudden pain. It felt like someone was pushing a white-hot rod into his back.

Ah, there’s the pain!

He rubbed his hair and them froze. It was matted and sticky from the salt water and it was FULL of sand. He flicked his fingers across the tuft of light brown hair over his forehead, watching as sand cascaded out and onto his shoes.

Shoe.

Where did his other one go?

He looked around confused, when suddenly he heard another thump and a growl. Turning around in the brightening light he saw a small figure hitting a round object onto a rock.

It was she!

Taemin stood there awkwardly, watching her attempting to break open the coconut. Amazingly it split in half on her next try, but she only groaned and threw it away. It was old and dry inside.

GGRRRRZZZUUMMMBBLLLLL!

Taemin clutched his whining stomach. It felt shrunken and sore. The girl turned and spotted him in surprise. The watched each other awkwardly.

Taemin felt as if he should be angry with her, but Onew’s words kept coming back at him.

What happened happened and we can’t change it, we can only live with it and try to make the best out of it”

That meant that they couldn’t hold their hatred towards her, if they were to all survive. Taemin doubted he could stop hating her, even now he felt a deep hurtful anger deep inside.

But now he was clouded with hunger and lack of sleep. Hate was the last thing on his mind.

“Umm, hey there.” She mumbled. Taemin turned to look at the ground.

“My name is Park Bo Mi, what about you?”

Bo Mi? Like spring? Hmmm, such a pretty name for a mean girl…

“L-Lee Taemin.” Taemin felt shyness overcome him again. Dammit!

There was movement behind him and a groan, “Morning!” a cheery voice said.

Onew beamed sleepily at them, one hand clutched his stomach. It looked as if it was bulging slight to Taemin.

There was more movement and Minho also sat up, rubbing his eyes “Where are w-“ he paused , looking around him.

“Never mind.” He sighed and wandered over to Taemin. He winced at the sight of the maknae’s back. It was even more swollen than before and inflamed, but it had stopped weeping.

“Are you okay, Taemin?” his voice was filled with worry.

“Oh yes, I’m much better today, hyung. J-just very-“ Taemin winced and muttered weakly, “… hungry”

“I’m hungry too, but all the coconuts in the pile are old and empty!” Bo Mi complained.

Onew began to laugh “That’s because that pile was for the rotten ones!”

Bo Mi glared at him and threw a coconut she was holding on the ground. She plonked herself onto the ground.

Minho rolled his eyes. He was hungry too, his stomach was really sore.

“So no coconuts fell during the night? Hmmm, we should go look for other food or even better: Help. Maybe there’s civilisation beyond the jungle?” Minho wondered.

“Did someone say FOOD??” Jonghyun sat up, blinking and rubbing his eyes. Key curled up against him, still asleep.

“Hmmm, okay then. Taemin and… the girl… you can stay here. There’s no telling what Key will do when he wakes up and finds that we're still here.” Minho turned to his hyungs “Jonghyun and Onew, we’ll go look for help and/or food. Okay, hyungs?”

The two nodded, scrambled to their feet and began to follow after Minho.

“MY NAME IS PARK BO MI!!!” a shrill voice bellowed.

Everyone, except the sleeping Key, looked around at the girl, who glared at the members walking away fiercely, her hands clenched with rage.

For a second, everyone was shocked.

Minho mentally wished Taemin good-luck and then led the other two into the large leafy bushes. No one remembering how much Key loathed her and what he would do when he awoke.

 

 

 

Hmm, what did Onew find?
And what will Key do when he awakes??
Ooooo, I wonder ~

I am soooooo sorry for not updating for a while! And that when I finally do the chapter is so “bleh”.
Schoolwork is taking over my life! T^T
I will try my best to update soon with a better, more interesting chapter!



A special shout-out to the amazing mickeyee, my best chingu, who created my new poster!
(She's a REALLY good writer too)
~~THANK YOU ~~