Remembering...

A Whole New World (PAUSED)

 

BO MI’s POV:

 

I was awake, but I was in total darkness. My eyes seemed to be glued shut and my body wouldn’t respond to any of my attempts to move. Wake up, Bo Mi!!

Okay okay, calm down. What happened? Where am I? My mind raced. Even though I couldn’t move, I was fully conscious.

I tried to think what I remembered last…

Cold, sticky milkshake dripping off me…

Running…

Falling…

Water…

A loud crash…

And thinking: I’m gonna die, I’m gonna die!

Here I am and this is nowhere. I can’t move. I am stuck.

I began to panic, struggling to remember. With my mind opened and awake and thoughts happening, it all began to rush back, all that had occurred, all that had happened, and I couldn’t take it. It was all messy and jumbled up.  It made my head hurt.

So I tried to slow down and deal with things one at a time…
 

“I was on a break, on a cruise when some guys crashed into my cabin and crushed me and then I helped them, but they rudely crashed into me again and I spilt my milkshake –only all over me- and then I chased them and I fell – or crashed- into the same guys and there was a wave and someone grabbed me (I think) and I fell in and I survived somehow and now I can’t move and yet I’m fully conscious and…”
 

STOP! Slow down, Bo Mi. This is not a good time to panic. Take it slowly!
 

“My name is Bo Mi and I am 19 years old and I am shipwrecked.”
 

There, that’s right. Just keep it simple…


“I was on a cruise, resting from my studies when I fell off during a storm.”
 

There, let’s keep it that way. Short thoughts.


“I miraculously survived and I do not know where I am.”
 

I felt like adding, “I cannot move”, but I knew that would somehow freak myself out again. I must keep it to simple short thoughts until I could get a grip. First of all, I need to try listening to my surroundings and trying work out where I am…

I was aware of the coolness and of a soft breeze. I could hear the familiar sound of waves crashing nearby. I was lying on something soft, yet hard. It was also prickly. I could hear murmuring and movement, then the sound of someone slurping noisily. So I am not alone? And yet I’m not rescued and in hospital?

My throat was dry and felt swollen. It hurt to swallow, even though I had nothing to swallow with. Slowly I felt control of myself come back. I rolled my head to the side slowly. Bright lights danced before my closed eyes. Why does it hurt, so?

I groaned at the pain and then winced at the aching of my throat. My lips were dry and swollen too. Opening my eyes I saw five blurry figures. I couldn’t make any of them out. The sun was behind them, partially blinding me so I could not see them properly. Only as shadows.

 But they were guys and they were all staring at me. I couldn’t see their expressions, but I could tell they were shocked. The silence was awful.

I opened my mouth to say something, to break the silence. My voice croaked like a dying man, “Wh-what?” I murmured, unintentionally.

Stupid! Ask where you are!

“Where a-am I?” I hated how weak I sounded. My eyes were puffy and stung, I rubbed some sand out from one of them.

No one made a sound. They just stared at me.

Umm… do you guys understand Korean? Oh stupid! I slapped myself mentally. If there were any language most people would know it would be English! Right?

Clearing my throat I spoke in English “Can you tell me where I am, prease?”

I cursed slightly to myself. I had slurred at the end and my accent had come through, ugh how embarrassing! When I had first started to study English, I had the “cute” engrish accent that most Koreans have when they talked like an American. I hated how I talked with the slight slur of “l” making it sound like the weird sound “rr”. Over the years I had perfected it, or so I had thought.

“Um, we don’t know either, so we can’t tell… you.” The soft voice spoke in Korean and yet sounded like it was strangled with many emotions. It sounded familiar… but I couldn’t think of whom it belonged to.

Wait! They didn’t know? Then… who were they?

One of them came towards me, holding something. Like a large oval football, only… different?

“Drink.”

For a mere second my mind drifted back to middle school, where we had been repeatedly taught not to take anything from strangers, especially guys. Then I remembered my craving thirst and my sandpaper-like throat.

Stuff that!

I tried to grabbed the football-thingy, but almost fell on my face. I still had no control of my balance or my body. The guy lifted me up and placed the dark ball-thing near my mouth near my mouth, tipping it up slightly. I could feel the cool liquid splashing against my lips. I took a small sip and relished it. It was coconut milk. It was sweet and creamy. I slurped loudly as I drank, enjoying the coconut milk trickling down my throat.

“YAH! Onew, why are you giving her our last coconut? Why are you looking after her??” A voice whined. I feel hurt at the way he said “her”. It was almost as if he hated me for some reason…

Onew… why did that sound so familiar? Dang it, THINK, Bo Mi, THINK!!!

The-very-familiar-but-I-just-can’t-place-him-Onew spoke in the soft voice I heard before, “We can’t just let her die, Key. She has as much right to drink this as you have.”

Key… this too was familiar. Gah, why can’t you REMEMBER?

The so-called-Key sat up. From the angle he was in before, I had thought that he had been snoozing. His shadowy face peered at me; I could feel the venom that poured out from his stare.

“Don’t you remember what she did to us? She was the one that got us here! It’s all her faul-”

“Key” Onew cut in, “That’s enough. What happened happened and we can’t change it, we can only live with it and try to make the best out of it.”

I slurped again, the last drops of milk that dribbled on my chin. I immediately wished I hadn’t been so loud. Four faces glared at me, pure black hate dripping from their dark eyes.

What did I do to them? How did I get the-

Then I remembered… Headdesk

They were… SHINee! They were the ones that crashed into my cabin. They were the ones that cause me to fall off the cruise! If it wasn’t for them pushing me over and spilling my milkshake, I would have never been here! Boy, were they in for it!

“Listen here, Key” I yelled. I hadn’t meant to yell, so I lowered my voice, “I didn’t cause you to be here. It was YOU! If it wasn’t for you guys, I wouldn’t of slipped and crashed into you! I probably would have made it inside if-“

Key interrupted fiercely, “NO! If it weren’t for you we wouldn’t be here! You tricked us into following you onto the cruis-“

“Umm, NO! That was your fault! If you had kept your eyes open you could of seen the sign behind the desk! The cruise’s name wa-“

THAT’S ENOUGH!!” Onew bellowed. He stood up, towering over all of us.

Everyone stopped. Everything was silent, not just from us, but from the clicks and the chirps of birds and insects as well. Even though I hardly knew Onew, I knew that he wasn’t one to get upset easily. The sudden noise of his voice had silenced everything. Even the crashing of the waves seems to have stopped.

Even though it seemed like an eternity, it really only lasted a few seconds. A bird began to caw, then an insect began to click and buzz, then more birds joined in and the waves smashed loudly onto the sand. His stern face suddenly melted into a warm smile.

“Now, it’s been a long day. Waking up and learning your shipwrecked isn’t easy at first, but lets just calm down. It’s…” he paused and looked at a watch on his wrist. He frowned and peered at it closely, then shook it and listened carefully. Then he sighed “It’s around late afternoon already, I guess. I’ve been awake all day, looking after everyone mostly and I’m tired. Everyone would still be exhausted, mentally and physically, I guess.”

“But I’m hungry, hyung.” A small, whimpering voice piped up. “And thirsty! You said there were no more coconuts?”

Onew smiled “Oh no, there’s more. But they’re all at the top of the trees! The ones I found, that we drank from, were on the ground! I only found five ripe ones, but I, err, smashed one of them when I tried to break it against a rock.” He smiled ruefully and rubbed his behind neck. “As for dinner, I suppose you, or one of the others, can break the empty coconut we used and eat the flesh. It would be good for you scars too, Taemin-ah.”

And with that Onew skipped over to a clear patch of grass and lay down comfortably. Within moments he was asleep a wide smile on his face. He looked so peaceful and happy. I wished I could be as calm as he had been, besides his outburst.

~~~

It was awkward after Onew had gone to sleep. The sun set quickly and the air started cooling from the heat of the day. The tallest one took a couple of the empty coconuts away, silent and solemn. There was the sound of something thudding and then a loud crack and the sound of shredding. Soon afterwards he returned, handing out bits of broken coconut.

He awkwardly gave me a piece too, but it was a small piece. Meanie…

Then I watched him as he used the larger pieces on the One-Who-Whimpered-Earlier’s back. It was too dark to see what he was doing and why he was putting coconut flesh on the Whimpering-One’s back, but it looked painful. The Whimpering-One would gasp and whimper –of course-, as I chewed on my “dinner”.

In less than an hour it was dark. The sky was bright and full of purple, pink and orange streaks, with small bright stars glowing and appearing one by one. But the surroundings were dark shadows and I could barely distinguished one object from another. I could hear the others settling down though.

I moved away from them. They were guys after all, and I needed some privacy and time to think. Time to take it all in. The only decent enough guy, it seemed, was Onew. But even he was stiff and awkward around me. I shivered and curled into a ball, pulling my knees closer towards me. More stars began to appear and shimmer from the dark sky. I shivered; there was a sharp chill in the air.

Sigh… maybe its all one big nightmare… and I’ll wake up in my own bed, in my own room, in my own –well, one of my parents- houses. Either one of their houses…

My dad’s one in America or my Mum’s in Seoul…

Either one sounded good, about now…

Actually… all I wanted was to go back, to when they had been together. When we had lived in the country with my grandma. When she had been alive and had protected me against the fights. The time before I found out The Secret and the time before my parents broke up…

When everything was right…

 

 

 

Sorry for the fail of an update! T^T
So Onew realises that they have to work together to survive, right?
Or is he being kind to her because of something else? Fufufu~
Hmmm, next chapter will be better! ^^
PLEASE comment! I feel as though no one is enjoying it yet! >.>
~ Thank you for reading ~