Chapter 8

When memories are gone

Yonghwa's first solo album was soon to be released. He put a lot of efforts into it and was really hoping to be successful. His CEO and his manager convinced him to launch kind of a party, but what he didn't know was it would take place at his house. He liked to have people around sometimes but people like friends or family. That night, he knew that some people from his agency and maybe a few people from the entertainment industry would be there, but only few real friends.

His management advised it to do it and once again, he obeyed. Some of his famous friends would be there as Cnblue members, of course, and also one of his closest friend actress Park Shin Hye. Yonghwa didn't have a lot of time for seeing her so he thought it would be a good occasion to catch up with her.

He also wanted Mee-Na to be there as his special guest, but he didn't know how to do this. She wasn't supposed to know his real identity and his real job. How could he hide it during an entire evening?

Before leaving for a meeting in Seoul, Yonghwa went to see Mee-Na in her room. He wanted to invite her himself.

“Hi Yonghwa, you're a pretty early riser today,” she greeted her host, opening the door wearing a tank top and a short.

“Hmm yeah...” he replied, puzzled by the vision of her body, “I have a meeting about a big event in town today. Can I come in for a minute?” he asked, pointing into the bedroom.

“Of course, I didn't make the bed yet, don't pay attention,” Mee-Na apologized, smiling.

“Wait, you're making your bed every morning?” Yonghwa inquired, surprised, “Wow, I make it maybe every two or three days.”

“Well, I'm not lazy like you,” she laughed.

“Hey I'm not lazy!” he declared in a laugh, “I just don't like having to do the housework myself,” he shrugged.

“Yeah I know. I'll be right back,” she suddenly said before leaving the room for the bathroom next door.

When she came back, she had a t-shirt on and pyjama pants.

“It's better,” she sighed, “So what do you want?”

“Well, I'm throwing a kind of a reception tonight, you know, for work. A party I'm obligated to throw.”

“Yeah?”

“Well, I would like you to be here...as my guest,” Yonghwa uttered, hesitantly.

“What? Really?” Mee-Na reacted, surprised. “But nobody knows me and I thought you wanted to keep me a secret. They will wonder who I am,” she expressed, worried.

“I know but you will be my guest for the evening. They're not obligated to know you're living here. It's my house, my reception and I invite who I want. And there will be some of my closest friends. You could hang out with them, don't worry. So will you be there tonight?”

Mee-Na looked down for a minute, hesitating. She won't know any of the guests, some important people will be there. But she looked at Yonghwa, who was staring back at her with eyes full of hope and tenderness. She couldn't resist, like anytime he was asking for something.

“Ok, I'll be there. But I don't really have clothes for that kind of event.”

“Go do some shopping or I can ask Se-Ra to find you a dress.”

“No I'll go but...”

“I'll pay for it, don't worry. So great, see you tonight,” he uttered as he began to leave.

He his heels slowly before glancing at her.

“I'm sure you'll look very pretty.”

After saying those kind words, he left Mee-Na blushing in his room.

The evening finally arrived quickly. Yonghwa was just done getting dressed when he heard Ho-Joo, calling him. Most of his guests had arrived and it was time for him to join them. As he walked by the corridor, he glanced at Mee-Na's door, wondering how she will be dressed tonight.

As Yonghwa made his way downstairs to meet and greet his waiting guests, he noticed his great friends of his band and Shin Hye talking together.

Yonghwa used to have a crush on her back then, but their friendship never turned into something romantic. Even if rumours were still going strong, especially among his fans, he realised that it was better to have her as close friend. True friendship is such a rare thing in this business.

After spending some time to greet everybody with simple pleasantries, Yonghwa was gazing around his living room at his guests chatting, drinking even kind of flirting for some of them. He took a glass of wine and took some time alone, leaning on the wall, turning his head towards the stairs when he saw her...

Mee-Na was going downstairs slowly in a very beautiful and classy grey dress. Her hair was dropped on her shoulder and her make up was very soft, very natural. Yonghwa stared at her, founding her absolutely breathtaking. It was all he likes in a woman. Mee-Na was looking around for a knowing face.

Yonghwa smiled, before making his way to the bottom of the stairs, but was stopped by his CEO Han Seong-Ho.

“Yonghwa, who’s that girl?” Han Seong-Ho asked pretty coldly.

“No one, just one of my guest,” Yonghwa shrugged but being slightly irritated by his CEO’s sudden interest for Mee-Na.

Yonghwa left with no more explanation, leaving Seong-Ho doubtful.

“Hey Bruce,” The CEO asked as the manager was walking by, “Do you anything about her?”

“Hmm…Well…” Bruce uttered slightly embarrassed, “Not really,” he shrugged before leaving.

Yonghwa finally joined Mee-Na at the bottom of the stairs.

“Mee-Na...” he uttered gently as she was from behind. The young girl turned around, smiling at him, “Let me tell you that as I predicted...you're very beautiful,” Yonghwa complimented with a smile.

Mee-Na blushed, smiling shyly.

“I think I can say the same for you too.”

Yonghwa smiled, embarrassed at his own compliment.

“Come with me, I want to introduce you some of my closest friends, with whom I can guarantee you won't have any troubles with.”

“Alright.”

Yonghwa gently put his hand on Mee-Na's lower back and guided her to his friends. They joined Minhyuk and Jonghyun who were chatting, a beer in their hands.

“Hey guys, please let me introduce you to Mee-Na,” Yonghwa introduced, smiling at her.

“Hi!” they both greeted, smiling warmly at Mee-Na.

“Hello,” she greeted, shyly.

“And who is she?” Jonghyun asked, already knowing the answer.

Mee-Na suddenly became nervous.

“You know it. I shelter her for a time but not a word to anyone here alright?”

“Sure,” Minhyuk shrugged, “Nice to meet you,” he smiled at her.

“Alright, so be careful because Minhyuk knows how to be lovely with his cute smile but don't be fluttered by it. He doesn't worth it,” Yonghwa teased.

“Hey, you're not any better Hyung,” Minhyuk replied, slapping Yonghwa's shoulder.

“Oh two kids...” Jonghyun sighed, looking at Mee-Na with a smile while she was laughing at the scene between the two friends.

“Anyway Hyung...” Minhuyk whispered, leaning to Yonghwa, “She's really pretty.”

“Oh Minhyuk...” Yonghwa whispered, rolling his eyes. But he couldn't deny he was right. Mee-Na was really beautiful this evening.

“Yonghwa, they look nice,” Mee-Na whispered.

“Yes they all are. They're like my brothers so don't worry,” he reassured her.

“Hey Yonghwa, I finally I found you,” Shin-Hye uttered, coming to them before hugging him tightly.

“Hey Shin-Hye, you look really good. Did you lose weight?” he teased with a smile.

“Don't start with this,” she said, laughing and hitting him.

Yonghwa introduced Mee-Na to Shin-Hye and Jungshin who was with her. He created a fake story about Mee-Na as he didn't want to reveal the truth to Shin-Hye. Contrary to Jungshin who greeted Mee-Na warmly, Shin-Hye was a little less warm than the boys. She was wondering who could be this new girl into Yonghwa's life.

From then on, Yonghwa and Shin-Hye were catching up, talking and laughing with the Cnblue members. They looked both very close as they were being very tactile with each other.

For Mee-Na, it was pretty irritating. She was wondering who this girl could really be for Yonghwa and to be honest, she was feeling a bit of jealousy without knowing why.

“I...I'll leave you two minutes. I'll go to get a drink, excuse me,” Mee-Na softly apologized herself.

“Mee-Na?” Yonghwa wondered, looking at her leaving, a little disappointed.

While Mee-Na was at the buffet, Yonghwa was glancing at her from time to time. He wanted to make sure everything was alright with her. It wasn't easy with Shin-Hye talking to him a lot to catch up with him, as they didn't see each other in a long time. Suddenly, Yonghwa's interest was caught by a young and good looking executive of his agency who was talking to Mee-Na; a little too much for his taste.

Mee-Na was laughing, smiling shyly to what the young man was telling her and Yonghwa was quite ill at ease to see this spectacle in front of him. The young stranger offered a drink to Mee-Na while they were enjoying a conversation.

“Yonghwa, am I so uninteresting?” Shin-Hye asked in a laugh, making the Cnblue members to laugh as well.

“Hmm? No of course not. Sorry,” Yonghwa apologized, going back to the conversation.

But after an instant, his eyes moved to Mee-Na again. He was watching her from the corner of his eyes. He suddenly saw red when the young man, put his hand on Mee-Na's hips. Yonghwa quickly walked over to them, leaving his friends surprised.

“Mee-Na? Is everything ok?” Yonghwa asked gently, making the young man remove his hand.

“Yes, I think.”

“Excuse me...” the man uttered, leaving quite upset.

“Mee-Na, be careful. You're very pretty tonight and some of the man can be drunk and have wandering hands. Don't let men touch you like that, ok?” he asked with a smile and a very protective look.

“Ok, I'll be careful.”

“And don't drink too much,” he said, caressing Mee-Na's already red cheek by the drink she'd just drunk, “You know maybe...”

“Yonghwa! Come here a minute!” his CEO called him, making the singer sigh.

“Sorry, excuse me. See you later.”

From that moment, Mee-Na was left alone in the living room. She didn't know anybody and everybody was looking at her. They were all wondering who could be this pretty girl. She walked to the buffet again, taking another drink, before glancing at Yonghwa who was still chatting with his friends.

After a moment, she felt dizzy. Her head was spinning, her legs felt like cotton. She took some steps and stopped, leaning on the first piece of furniture she found. Yonghwa was glancing at her while chatting, wondering what she was doing.

Mee-Na did a few more steps, hoping to reach the kitchen to relax alone, but she couldn't hold on and felt herself fall to the floor. Yonghwa saw everything and rushed to her.

“Mee-Na!” as he ran, arriving just in time to catch her, before she touched the floor.

“Yonghwa?” she asked, confused.

“Hey Mee-Na, are you alright? What's wrong?” he inquired, worried.

“I...I think I drank too much,” as she caressed Yonghwa's cheek, smiling.

“Oh Mee-Na,” Yonghwa sighed, caressing her dark hair.

“Hyung, what's wrong with her?” Minhyuk asked him.

“Nothing. Please bring her...” his voice went hoarse as he carried her in his arms, “a glass of water and some wet towels. I'll carry her upstairs in my bedroom.”

“But Yonghwa, the party...”

Yonghwa looked at Minhyuk and the drummer left for the kitchen without a word. Everybody was watching Yonghwa carrying this lady up the stairs.

Once in his room, he laid Mee-Na on his bed softly and removed her shoes, slowly. They both smiled at each other as Yonghwa was caressing her face.

Yonghwa was looking at her tenderly, sat on the edge of the bed. Mee-Na was comfortably lying on his bed. He ran his fingers through her hair in a tender touch, smiling at her.

“Better now? You feel better lying on this bed, right?”

“Yeah, my legs were jello. My head is spinning and I…I feel a little sick,” as she put her hand on her chest.

“Great,” Yonghwa sighed “But try not to throw up on my bed,” he requested, smiling.

“Hey!” as she gave a little punch to his shoulder “Oh my head,” as she put her hand on her forehead.

“It hurts right? Well, that’ll teach you to hit me.”

They laughed and stayed silent for few seconds.

“Mee-Na, why did you drink like that? I told you not to overdo it, to be careful.”

“I...I don’t know. I was really nervous to be around all those strangers. And it didn’t work itself out when you introduced me to all of your friends.”

“Well yeah I can understand. It's not always easy to feel at ease with people you don’t know.”

“And you left me alone,” Mee-Na blond remarked, looking away.

Yonghwa looked at her, sadly.

“You left me alone among all those strangers, just to chat and have fun. I felt abandoned and anxious with all these eyes on me, wondering who I was.”

“Mee-Na, I’m...I’m sorry for having been busy, and for enjoying myself while you were alone. Please for...”

Yonghwa didn't have the time to finish his sentence as Minhyuk came in the room. He quickly stopped his hand which was about to caress Mee-Na's face.

“I have everything you asked for, a glass of water and a little towel with fresh water on it.”

“Thanks. Give it to me, please,” as Yonghwa held his arm out to his friend, “Drink a little. It'll make you feel better.”

Mee-Na lifted her head a little. Yonghwa put his hand behind her head, helping her to drink the water.

“You know, I could do it myself. I could take the glass in my hand.”

“Yes, but I like to do it. I'm used to taking care of you,” he uttered, tenderly.

“Oh Yonghwa, I need to lay back. My head is spinning,” Mee-Na uttered, putting her hand on her forehead.

“Oh sorry.”

She lay back on the pillow and Yonghwa took the wet towel. He tenderly caressed her forehead and her cheeks, red by the alcohol.

“Mee-Na, why you didn't came over to me at the party? Instead of being alone, I would have stay with you.”

“No, I didn't want to disturb you.”

“You’ll never disturb me, okay?”

Mee-Na nodded and slowly snuggled in the bed, turning her head away from Yonghwa.

“Yonghwa? Can I see you for a minute?” Minhyuk requested.

“Sure. I'll be...” but Mee-Na was already asleep.

He stood up but noticed Mee-Na's dress being slightly lifted up, revealing the up of her thighs.

“You have to be more careful, lovely Mee-Na,” he whispered.

Yonghwa, then, joined Minhyuk in the corner of the room.

“What?”

“Hyung, what are you doing?”

“What? What am I doing?”

“With her. Yonghwa I saw.... I saw everything. I was behind the door before coming in and...”

“You were spying us?” Yonghwa asked, raising his tone a little.

“No Yonghwa, it's just...” as Minhyuk put his hand on his friend's arm, “I know you. I know you for 6 years now. And what I saw...this tenderness, the way you care about her. Yonghwa, you're becoming attached to her.”

“Yes that's normal. She's a friend of mine and she's insecure. I have to do that,” he replied, looking at Mee-Na asleep, smiling tenderly.

“Hyung, when you carried her earlier, everybody was shocked because you never acted like that in public, I mean...For us, who know you so well, we know that you're capable of this kind of thing because you're a kind and caring man. Moreover, you don't like to see people in need, especially women. But it could be misinterpreted, you can't act like that with her. She'll have to leave one day. Don't become too attached to her or you will probably suffer because of it.”

Yonghwa looked at Mee-Na and sighed.

“Minhyuk, she's just a friend. I know it could look like she means more to me but it's not that. I am responsible for her as long as she lives here. She's not anymore to me.”

“Are you sure? Because it won't be good for you.”

“I know.”

“Good,” as Minhyuk patted Yonghwa's shoulder, “You stay here or...?”

“No, I'll come back to the party. She's asleep. She doesn't need me now.”

Minhyuk left the bedroom. Before leaving, Yonghwa glanced one last time at Mee-Na. She couldn't mean anything more to him, he knew it wouldn't be good for him, but Yonghwa couldn't deny he was liking Mee-Na more and more as the days went by.