Chapter 14

When memories are gone

Yonghwa was at FNC, in his studio, trying to busy his mind. He was upposed to think about his tour, to work on new Cnblue material, but each time he tried to concentrate, the face of Mee-Na came up in his mind.

As he was working on a new composition, Mee-Na's face came in his mind again and he couldn't focused anymore.

“Damned!” he uttered, threwing the computer mouse away on the desk.

He slumped in his leather chair, looking at the ceiling. He took a little stress ball he had on his desk and threw it in the air.

“It's not possible. What did I speak to her like that? It looked so obvious that I was trying to tell her something. But what did I try to tell her exactly? I can't be attached to her. Ho-Joo is right, I can't be in love with her. But she's attracted me so much, she's so great. Oh why is nothing never simple in my life!” as he threw his ball against the wall.

The big noise resounded in the corridor. Ho-Joo who heard the noise, slowly opened Yonghwa's door. Only his head, was visible behind the door.

“Yonghwa? Can I come in?

“Yes, if you want,” Yonghwa replied, still looking at the ceiling.

“With who were you fighting in here?”

“Myself, only myself.”

“Yonghwa, are you alright? Is it because of what I told you earlier?” Ho-Joo asked, coming closer to the desk.

“Yeah…no…I don’t know…” he shrugged.

“Go back home, it's already 6:00pm. You locked yourself here for the entire afternoon.”

“No not home. I'll go to Minhyuk's. I think he should be home, I would like to talk to him.”

“Ok, see you then.”

Yonghwa drove to Minhyuk's place, hoping he was home. Yonghwa was hoping that his friend was done with his schedule. He rang the bell and let out a sigh of relief when Minhyuk opened the door.

“Hyung? What are you doing here?”

“Hey, sorry I dropped by without calling.”

“No problem. You can come over whenever you want,” Minhyuk shrugged, “Come in.”

They walked in and sat on the couch in silence. Minhyuk looked at his friend, worried. He had a face the drummer didn't like to see.

“So hyung, what's wrong?”

“How do you know that something is wrong?”

“I know you for what? 5 years or so? I think we're close enough to tell that I know you pretty well,” Minhyuk smiled, “So...what's the problem?”

“Mee-Na, the girl who's living with me and that I introduced to you at the party, you remember?”

“I do and we talked about it this morning. I suspected that you'd like to talk about her again.”

“Yeah.”

“And so? What's wrong? You need to be more explicit.”

“I'm...I'm afraid that I'm falling for her.”

“Oh really? You're attracted to her?”

“Well...” Yonghwa looked down.

“Oh wait, you're in love with her?” Minhyuk smiled.

“Well, I guess yes,” Yonghwa sighed.

“Hey but that's great. My hyung is finally in love,” Minhyuk said enthusiastically, patting Yonghwa's shoulder.

“No it's not Minhyuk,” Yonghwa stated, moving his shoulder away, “No it's not a good thing.”

“Why not?”

“I can't fall in love with her! It's forbidden!” Yonghwa declared, raising his tone.

“And who told you that?”

“Everybody!” as he raised his voice again, “But that's not even the question! I can't fall in love with her because she has to leave at some point. Minhyuk, she has a family somewhere, maybe she had a boyfriend or a husband. She already had a life where I don't belong. They must looking for her,” Yonghwa sighed, calming down.

Minhyuk sighed before talking on a soft tone, “You're right Yonghwa, probably she did have that. But at the moment, the only life she has is with you., the only person she knows is you. You're both alone so why won't you take the chance to have her by your side, get to know her better?”

“And also...I don't want to suffer. You know that I suffered enough because of the rare women I became attached too. I'll be busy this year and I can't suffered from an heartache. When she leave, I'll suffer for it, to have to let her go, if I have an affair with her now.”

“I understand. But aren’t you already suffering in a way?”

“Yes, I'm always thinking about what to do. And meanwhile, she attracts me more and more. Oh Minhyuk, why are things never easy in our lives?” he said, slumping in the couch.

Minhyuk slumped too, sighing.

“We chose to become idols,” Minhyuk smirked, “Yonghwa, it could be easy if you wanted to. I mean she's already living with you so for the secret, it's good. I know you have been hurt in the past, especially with the last girl you tried to date and broke your heart but...”

“Minhyuk!”

“Sorry, it's not the time for that conversation, you're right. But hyung, you're a good man. We all put our love lives aside because of our carreer, you maybe more than us. But you need to find someone to love, you deserve it. It's great to listen to what people are advising us, but sometimes we should try to decide for ourselves. Especially, when it comes to our private life. We deserve to be happy and to think about us sometimes. You're no exception,” Minhyuk smiled warmly at Yonghwa.

“When did you become so wise?”

“I always was but you were to busy teasing me,” Minhyuk laughed.

“But you think so?”

“Yes. Does she have the same feelings for you?”

“I don't know, maybe. We're really close now, so I guess. But I think she has the same fear as me. You know, to be already involved with someone etc...”

“For the moment, she's not. And even if she found that she is, nobody can be better that my hyung!” Minhyuk declared, laughing and Yonghwa smiled at him.

“Thank you Bro'.”

“You're welcome. You should come over more often.”

“I know but seeing your face for work is enough,” Yonghwa laughed, hitting Minhyuk's shoulder slightly.

“Here we are, back with the teasing,” Minhyuk laughed.

After spending some more time with his friend, Yonghwa finally left for his house. His conversation with him left a lot of questions in his head, but maybe Minhyuk was right.

Yonghwa went in his house, happy to see Mee-Na again...But he was very surprised to see that Mee-Na was not alone.

When Yonghwa walked in from the front door, he could hear some laughter coming from the living room, it was Mee-Na.

He slowly walked to the living room door, before stopping in the doorway. He saw Mee-Na talking to a young man, a man who worked for FNC.

“So what’s happening in here?”

“Oh Yonghwa, you're already home,” Mee-Na smiled, but being visibly ill at ease.

“Well, it's my house as far as I know.”

The silence came, everybody was uncomfortable.

“So Hyun-Tae, could you please tell me what you're doing here at this hour, in my home?”

“Well Yonghwa,” as Hyun-Tae stood up from the couch, “Han Seong-Ho wanted you to sign this agreement for an upcoming contract and the deadline is tomorrow. You were supposed to see him before leaving the agency but...”

Alright, give it to me.”

Hyun-Tae did what he was told and Yonghwa quickly and firmly signed the sheet of paper.

“Now I think you can leave,” Yonghwa suggested firmly to Hyun-Tae.

“Oh okay then, bye Mee-Na, it was a pleasure,” as he waved to her.

“Yeah sure, bye Hyun-Tae!”

Hyun-Tae left and Yonghwa closed the door, quite upset, before going back in the living room.

“You were pretty rude Yonghwa. He just came to help you out.”

“Oh really?” Yonghwa asked, turning around to face her, “But Mee-Na, what did you have in mind?” he asked, firmly.

“What? Nothing, what do you mean?”

“Did you open the door for him?”

“I did. I partially opened the door and he introduced himself as someone working at your agency. I thought it was okay,” she said nervously.

“But you were careless!” Yonghwa expressed, raising his voice, “You opened the door, being alone here. And if it was a policeman or a journalist! What would you have done?”

“I didn’t see the problem!” she screamed too, “If it was a policeman, maybe he could have helped me! And a journalist? Why would a journalist want to be here?”

“You don’t know my world! You don’t know what we'd be in the middle of! What would happen if it made it to the front page of a newspaper, that a young girl is living with me?”

“And what’s the matter with that? Would it be so horrible for you if they revealed that!”

Mee-Na began to cry, before trying to calm down.

“And stop yelling at me!”

Yonghwa looked at her, completely confused. He was never the kind of man to raise his voice anyone and he was doing it with the last person he would like to do it. Now Mee-Na was crying in front of him and he hated that. He hated to be the reason for her tears.

“Mee-Na...” as he came closer to her, “It's just...I don't want anything bad to happen to you. You mean a lot to me. I just want to protect you you know, until you found more about yourself because I don't want you to face the world being so fragile. I care about you and...”

“You care about me?” she asked, surprised.

“Og course I do.”

“No you don't!” Mee-Na screamed, “If you were caring about me, you would ask me how my sessions are progressing. You would come with me like you did the first time! But you've been so busy those last few days that you forget about all of that. I only see you at mealtimes! You also stopped helping me to work on my memory! Do you think that's caring about me?”

Yonghwa was shocked to hear that. Was he so bad with her? Was he so absent?

“Mee-Na...I'm...”

“Dinner's in the oven. I'm going upstairs,” Mee-Na uttered, passing him, running.

“Mee-Na!” Yonghwa screamed.

Mee-Na banged her door and Yonghwa jumped at the noise. It was their first argument and it was horrible for him. He never thought they would argue like that together, especially without being a couple.

Yonghwa went upstairs and took the door handle of Mee-Na's bedroom, sighing. He opened it slowly, seeing Mee-Na on her bed, crying. He slowly approached the bed.

“Mee-Na?”

As soon as he sat on the bed, Mee-Na hugged him, crying.

“Yonghwa, I'm so sorry. I was awful to you.”

“No Mee-Na, it was nothing,” he stated, caressing her long dark hair.

“You take care of me, you allow me to stay here with you and you make me live wonderful things. And me...me, how can I say those horrible things to you. I'm so sorry.”

“Please stop, don't cry. I hate when you cry. Just relax now.”

Mee-Na laid on her bed. Yonghwa did the same, wrapping his arm around her.

“It's just...I feel so alone when you're not here,” Mee-Na explained, “You're the only person I know and it's too hard sometimes. My memory hasn't come back yet, maybe I'll stay an amnesic all my life. Even you, you don't try with me anymore. You know, I'm hopeless,” she sniffed.

“No, it's no that.”

“So, what then?” she asked, turning around to face Yonghwa.

“I really think and I hope you'll be able to remember who you are. It's just...” Yonghwa hesitated, “I like you. I really like you and I'm happy to have you here with me. I don't feel alone anymore when I come back home and I don't want you to go back so soon, even if I know that what I'm doing isn't right,” he uttered, giving the hint of a smile.

“Yonghwa, how helping a stranger could be something wrong?”

Yonghwa smiled at her, before caressing her cheek. Mee-Na was looking at him in the eyes and Yonghwa felt flustered by her beautiful eyes.

It could be the moment to tell her the real reason, the moment to try to kiss her again. But Mee-Na was overwhelmed and he didn't want to take advantage of that.

“It's over now. I won't be so absent anymore, even if my work doesn't let me as free as I want. But I promise to make more of an effort,” Yonghwa said, pulling her in his arms. “

“No don't. You're perfect.”

Yonghwa smiled and caressed her hair. He was in love with her. He couldn’t deny it anymore and it seemed Mee-Na had feelings for him too. The only thing was: Will they be able to love each other?