Chapter 11

When memories are gone

One week went by since Yonghwa was sick and felt Mee-Na's lips on his forehead. He often thought about that moment. Imagining Mee-Na leaning in, kissing him with a soft tenderness,

If Yonghwa often thought about that, it wasn't only because it was pleasant. He was wondering why Mee-Na did it. Why all of sudden, she wanted to kiss him and act tenderly towards him like that, when he wasn't supposed to react.

He never spoke about that with Mee-Na and Yonghwa thought it would be better. Mee-Na was a friend, a dear friend of his and no more. Moreover, she will have to leave sooner or later, so being involved with her wasn't a good idea.

Yonghwa was getting ready in his bedroom and was quite excited. Today, he would performed his first solo single, “One fine day” on TV for the first time.

When he was ready, he went in the living room, hoping to see Mee-Na to say goodbye before leaving.

Hey Mee-Na, I'm about to leave,” he said, coming in the room, finding Mee-Na reading on the couch.

Already? But it's pretty early.”

Hmm yes, but we have to install a lot of things for the big event of tonight, and I have to be there for supervising everything. There might be meetings and stuff too before that,” he cleared his throat.

Oh I see. It must be great to do this,” Mee-Na replied, smiling.

Yes,” he smiled back.

Once again, Yonghwa lied to her. He was surprised by his ability of deviate the reality, but he became more ill at ease abut lying to her all the time. He hated that but he couldn't reveal how famous he really was. He wasn't ready for that. Mee-Na was acting like he was the most ordinary person in the world and he was liking it.

So I have to go. I'll be home very late this evening I guess. But, by the way, you have a session today, right?”

Yeah, my fourth one. I hope I'll be able to remember something even something stupid like...If I liked peanuts or...if I ever kissed someone or...” she laughed.

Yonghwa smiled, knowing that she at least already did, by kissing him a week ago, even if it was on his forehead.

Yeah I hope so too. Have a good session and a nice day sweet Mee-Na,” he smiled at her.

Thank you Yonghwa. I hope tonight will be a success”

Thanks, that's nice, bye!”

Bye!” she waved to him.

Yonghwa was driven by Ho-Joo to the Music Bank studio. He greeted everyone and was leaded backstage. There he was waiting for his moment to rehearse under the staring look of Ho-Joo.

What?” Yonghwa finally asked.

Nothing,” Ho-Joo shrugged, “How's the girl who lives with you? She overcame her hangover?”

She did and she's fine,” Yonghwa sighed.

She really made a good impression that night. Han Seong-Ho was really entertained by all of this,” he smirked.

Oh I know, he called me but I don't care. She made a mistake, but now it's fine.”

Just hope she won't do any other mistakes that can ruin you.”

Can you stop with...” Yonghwa got angry but someone knocked at the door, “Yes?”

Yonghwa, it's your turn to reahearse.”

Good,” he stood up, “I don't want to stay here anymore,” he said, leaving.

The rehearsals began and everything went by pretty well. Yonghwa was a real perfectionist and a real talented artist who can sing live without any fear.

Before the beginning of the show, Yonghwa was waiting backstage. As he was getting ready, his thoughts wandered to Mee-Na. He was wondering about what she was doing and how her session went by. He was about to take his phone to call her for a minute, when Ho-Joo came in the room.

Yonghwa, are you ready? It's your turn.”

Yes I am,” Yonghwa replied, putting his phone on his pocket.

Oh and before I forget,” Ho-Joo declared, taking an envelope out his pocket, “Ha-Neul wanted me to give you that. Something you need to read for work, I guess.”

Oh thanks.”

Ho-Joo left the room and Yonghwa opened the envelope, a pink sheet of paper, smelling a soft fragrance was folded in two. He started to read the note. Ha-Neul wanted to see him after his performance, to have a drink.

No, it's not for work,” he sighed, “The guys were right, she seems into me.”

Yonghwa sighed heavily. Ha-Neul was a very pretty woman, always well dressed and she was his style, he couldn't deny it. But they were working together and was he ready for a relationship?

Oh what will I do?” he said, putting the note in his pocket before leaving for the stage.

As usual, Yonghwa illuminated the stage. His powerful voice, the emotion that was sweating from his interpretation and his charisma did wonders. Fans were crazy and the staff of the show was amazed.

After his performance, he left the broadcasting studio and got in the car, parked in the driveway.

So Yonghwa, you're going home?” Ho-Joo asked.

Ummm,” Yonghwa thought, looking through the window, “No, drive me at Tailor Coffee. Ha-Neul wants to meet me there. We have a thing to go over for work.”

Ooh? That late?” Ho-Joo inquired, suspicious.

Yonghwa didn't answer and finally arrived at the coffee. He walked in, before seeing Ha-Neul waiting patiently, looking at her phone.

Hey!” he said, coming closer.

Hey! You came?” she smiled wildly.

Yes,” he sighed with a slight smile.

Please sit down.”

Yonghwa did and ordered a coffee. He took his phone from his pocket. 11:00pm, Mee-Na must be asleep already.

So, how was the show? I bet you were amazing,” Ha-Neul asked, smiling seductively.

Oh thanks,” Yonghwa laughed shyly, “It was good. I think I did well.”

I wasn't sure you would come. I was afraid to be cross the line by inviting to have a drink.”

I was surprised but that's okay. We can meet up and talk, I mean we work together. It's...” Yonghwa said, ill at ease before taking a sip of his coffee.

Yes we get to know each other. I chose this place because I know you love coffee,” she smiled.

Who doesn't know that? I'm a coffee addict, I even wrote a song on a coffee shop,” Yonghwa laughed.

From this moment, Yonghwa and Ha-Neul started to laugh and talk together, having a great time. From the outside, they could look like a couple on their first date. Talking and laughing shyly with each other.

But suddenly, Yonghwa stared at his cup of coffee, lost in his thoughts. He was thinking about Mee-Na, but why? He was spending a surprising good moment with Ha-Neul and she was popping in his mind just like that.

Actually, Yonghwa was wondering if Mee-Na waited for him. He was supposed to be back home after the live show, pretty late in the evening but he was supposed to be already at home. Maybe Mee-Na waited for him, wanting Yonghwa to tell him about the event; maybe she wanted to speak about her session with Dr Yoon.

Yonghwa didn’t think about calling her to say he won’t be back, and now he was having a date, without thinking about her, once again...just like during the reception at his house.

He looked at his phone, already midnight. It was too late to call her, she was probably sleeping for a while now.

Yonghwa, are you alright? Why are you watching your phone like that? Am I bothering you?” Ha-Neul asked, with a slight smile.

No, of course not. I was thinking it's already late. I think I should go now. I have things to do pretty early tomorrow.”

Yonghwa was thinking of his daily breakfast with Mee-Na.

Alright but...You seem worried about something. I don't know you so well but I think I'm right, thinking something is on your mind.”

You're not completely wrong,” he sighed, “But I'm fine...”

Ha-Neul stared at him with insistence.

Well...It's about a woman...” he stated, hesitantly.

A woman? Which one?” Ha-Neul asked, faking a little smile.

I don't know if I can trust you. As you said, we don't know each other that much,” he uttered, looking deep in her eyes.

C'mon Yonghwa. You trust me enough to have a date with me that late, and we're working at the same agency. I'm not gonna talk about you behind your back.”

Alright. Her name is Mee-Na. I met her by accident and she's living with me at my place.”

What? You live with a woman!” she said, quite loud, “Sorry...”

Yonghwa sighed, “But it's not what you think. For an unknown reason, she lost her complete memory. She doesn't know who she is or even who I am. And...I think I like that a lot.”

So what's the problem?”

It's that she will have to leave once she recovers her memory. Even if she never will, I can't keep her captive in my house. But I don't want her to leave either.”

Why's that? Ooooh don't tell me you're in love with her?”

No, I think I just like her a lot. She never judges me, she understands me. She sees me as such an ordinary person. I know that what I’m doing isn’t good and it’s torturing me,” as he paused “because I want her to stay. I always think about what I have to do and…”

At this moment, Ha-Neul understood. She understood she will never be in Yonghwa's heart. She understood that he was in love or nearly there already.

She slowly felt jealousy, appearing in her. Sooner or later, this woman will be living something she was dreaming about since her first encounter with Yonghwa. Ha-Neul couldn’t help it, she was in love with the artist.

While Yonghwa was talking about Mee-Na, with a sparkle in his eyes, Ha-Neul was smiling slightly. She was faking happiness and understanding while she was feeling jealous.

Well Yonghwa, just see what will happen. Take advantage of the friendship and the bond you have with her until things change. Don’t torture yourself, just enjoy.”

Yeah, you’re right. Even if I’m tired of being told what I have to do eventually,” as he sighed “Well, I’ll be leaving. It's really late and I start to feel tired. Would you mind driving me back home?

No, sure. Let’s go,”

They left the coffee and drove to Yonghwa’s property. After speaking for a few more minutes in the car, Ha-Neul left.

Yonghwa slowly went in without making a noise. All the lights were off, Mee-Na must be asleep. He a little lamp before walking into his living room. He put down his keys and noticed a little sheet of paper folded in two, with his name on it.

Something for work again?” he sighed.

He unfolded it. It was a little note from Mee-Na, very neatly written. Yonghwa smiled and began to read it.

Yonghwa,

I waited for you to come back but it seems you were delayed longer than you thought and my eyes were closing. It’s nearly midnight and I’m tired. I really hope your event was great and I can't wait to hear a report tomorrow,

Have a good night....Mee-Na”

Yonghwa smiled wildly. This little note really pleased him. As he predicted, Mee-Na waited for him but he was too busy having a so called date with Ha-Neul.

Sorry Mee-Na, I would have been happy to tell you about my night.”

Yonghwa sighed, putting Mee-Na’s note in his pocket. He went upstairs to his bedroom, but stopped in front of her bedroom door. He opened it very slowly. Mee-Na was peacefully asleep with a smile on her face. Yonghwa smiled too, witnessing her cuteness.

Sleep tight sweet Mee-Na,” he whispered before closing the door.