Chapter 7

When memories are gone

This new day was a special one for Mee-Na. She would begin her long series of appointments for recovering her memory.

After their discussion, Yonghwa started to look for the right doctor for her. Someone Mee-Na could trust and made her feel comfortable, but also someone who will stay quiet about what Yonghwa chose to do. The professor finally chosen by Yonghwa was a middle-aged woman called Dr. Yoon.

Yonghwa and Mee-Na were leaving the property. The ride was silent and Mee-Na wasn't really inclined to talk. She was really nervous about her appointment and moreover she was scared about one thing: What will she find about her life? What Mee-Na didn't know was that Yonghwa had the same concerns about this first meeting. Unconsciously, he had the same fear as Mee-Na: What will he find about the real her?

After half an hour, the car finally parked in the underground parking.

“Yonghwa, you know you don't have to come with me,” Mee-Na said a little embarrassed.

“No I want to. It will probably be a hard time for you so I'd like to be there, as a friend. And if you remember something about your life, I want to be the first one to be happy for you,” he smiled at her, not really convincingly before he took her hand.

Mee-Na looked to Yonghwa's hand on hers, before the brunet quickly took it away.

“Sorry,” he cleared his throat.

“No it's ok,” she said giving the hint of a smile, “So let's go,” as she took a deep breath.

They took the elevator to the 6th floor: Mental Health Department. To Mee-Na, it sounded like she was crazy, ready for confining.

“Mr Jung, I'm Dr Yoon, nice to meet you.”

“Thanks, same here,” as they shook hands.

“And you're Ms...”

“Mee-Na, only Mee-Na,” she replied, shaking the Doc's hand, nervously.

“So if you don't mind, follow me...only the lady,” as Yonghwa was about to go in with Mee-Na.

“Oh ok,” he answered, disappointed, “I'll be right here. Don't worry, it'll be fine, ok?” he uttered, putting his hand on her shoulder, smiling.

Mee-Na nodded with a smile.

When Mee-Na went in the office, she noticed a lot of books, all about mental sciences and illness. The wall behind the professor's desk was full of diplomas and awards for Dr. Yoon. Yonghwa did choose a great specialist for her.

“So Mee-Na, please take a seat,” Dr. Yoon suggested, in a very warm tone.

After that, she explained who she was to Mee-Na, how long the “therapy” will last and what it will consist of.

“So tell me more Mee-Na. You lost your memory, but did you lose all your memory or only the elements linked to what happened that night?”

“No everything. My name, what happened, everything.”

“You were found by Mr Jung in front of his house, right? Why here?”

“As I just told you, I don't know,” Mee-Na answered firmly, “Sorry. It's just...It's irritating not to remember a thing, even my name.”

“Yes I understand. So tell me, who is Jung Yonghwa to you?”

“Who is he to me? Well...” Mee-Na smiled, “He's the one who saved me, who took care of me without knowing me. He's caring, tender and...” Mee-Na blushed without knowing it, thinking of him.

“Hmm I see,” the doc expressed, looking at her with suspicious eyes.

“He's my friend, my only friend for now.”

“Alright, so please follow me to the table. We will begin.”

Meanwhile, Yonghwa was waiting for Mee-Na in the waiting room. He was quite nervous. He didn't know how the meeting was going. The idea of Mee-Na, facing her memories alone, made him feel anxious.

To keep his mind busy, he read magazines about the mental sciences and the brain. Yonghwa liked to learn about everything. He was really more cultured and smarter than people gave him credit for.

After a while, the Doctor came out of her office.

“So Doctor? How'd it go?” Yonghwa inquired, standing up.

“Fine, everything's fine but the first tests I did didn't bring anything conclusive.”

“Oh really?” Yonghwa asked, worried.

“No, I think her trauma must be more severe than we thought and it will probably take longer than planned.”

“Alright. Do what you think is right.”

“Now I will try to stimulate her memory by showing her some celebrities' pictures and movies. We all have memories link to movies or something.”

“Yes that's true. It could be helpful.”

“I'm joining Mee-Na for the end of the session.”

The professor was nearly in his office, when Yonghwa gently caught her arm.

“Excuse me, don't...Don't show her pictures or articles about me. You probably have some magazines which are talking about me or Cnblue but...”

“Why not? She's living with you.”

“Yes but she doesn't remember who I am really. How successful, wealthy and famous I am. She doesn't know that I'm not just working in the music business but that I'm kind of an idol here. And I don't want her to know before she...” he paused.

“Mr Jung, that's not a good idea. This woman trusts you. She puts all her trust in you and if you're not honest with her, what will happen when she finds out that you lied to her?”

Yonghwa didn't answer and the Doctor went back in her office.

“Yeah, I know I'm wrong,” he sighed, sitting on his chair again.

After an hour, Mee-Na went out of the office, quite tired.

“Are you alright?” Yonghwa asked her, putting his hand on her arm.

“Yeah, pretty tired but I'm fine.”

“We're going home. You'll relax there,” he said, smiling.

The young lady nodded before they started to leave.

“Mr Jung? Please, can I see you a minute?” Mrs Yoon required.

“Sure,” he answered, coming closer to her.

“Alright, the session didn’t do much for her in helping regain her memories but I think that it would be great if you helped her to work on those memories as well. By stimulating her senses with smells, music, and that kind of thing. Like movies, we all have memories link to some smells or music.”

“Alright, I'll try if it could help her. Thank you very much.”

“Mr Jung, be careful. Don't become too attached to her, not too much.”

Yonghwa looked at Mrs Yoon, before leaving...Why did she say that?

Once they arrived home, Yonghwa decided to prepare his own session for Mee-Na. After she got some rest, she joined him in the living room.

“Welcome to the Jung Memory Workshop!” he said happily, his arms wide opened.

He was in front of a big table where he placed a lot of candies and perfumed candles.

“You're silly Yonghwa,” Mee-Na smiled.

“Yes I am. Come on,” he smiled back.

The Jung workshop began. Yonghwa made her taste candies, of course, without forgetting to eat some along the way.

“Hey you're not an amnesic!” Mee-Na said, slapping Yonghwa's arm, noticing his mouth full of candy.

“I don't care, I like candy,” he hardly articulated, making Mee-Na laughed.

Then Yonghwa made her smell a lot of perfumed candles. He got many of them as he loved them very much. Like Mrs Yoon told him, some fragrances were bringing him special memories. Unfortunately, with no real results for Mee-Na.

“Oh it's enough for today, I'm tired,” Mee-Na uttered, sitting on the couch, “And it's useless. I don't remember anything. I never will...”

“Don't say that,” Yonghwa sat next to her after he put some classical music, “It requires some time, it's normal.”

“Yes, if you say so...” she sighed, sadly.

Suddenly, Mee-Na turned her head to the state of the art sound system, frowning her eyes in concentration.

“What? Mee-Na?”

“This music, I…I know this music. I already heard this classical piece.”

“Really?” Yonghwa declared happy.

“It was in…in a restaurant,” as she closed her eyes “I probably heard it while I was dining in a restaurant, and…” as she paused “Damn! That’s all. There’s nothing more. I can’t recall anything more!” as she became upset, with tears appearing in her eyes.

“Hey Mee-Na, it’s ok,” Yonghwa said, taking her in his arms, without thinking about his move, “Don’t worry, it’s a great beginning.”

“Really?” she asked, wrapping her arms around Yonghwa.

“Yeah, and I nearly succeeded where the Doc failed,” he replied smiling.

“Yeah, you’re right,” as she lifted her head to look at him, “Yonghwa, you’re really too nice with me. I really appreciate it…and I love your arms,” as she snuggled more into them.

“You do?” Yonghwa asked, surprised.

“Hmm hmm…”

“So stay, stay in my arms...” as he put his head on Mee-Na’s slowly.