Chapter 6

When memories are gone

Few days had passed since Mee-Na's arrival at Yonghwa's place. She was slightly beginning to feel at ease, nearly at home there. This house looked like a dream. Never ever, she thought she could be living in such a place, even if she knew that one day, she'd have to leave. But for now, she was feeling good, and that was all that mattered to her.

This feeling was mostly due to Yonghwa, as gentle and caring as the day he saved her. He always had nice words for her, always doing everything he could to make her feel at home. Mee-Na was also puzzled by him, feeling very good around him. If she wasn't forced to leave one day, she never would.

It was the middle of the afternoon, and after a little walk around the property, Mee-Na came back to the house. As she went in, she noticed Yonghwa's coat on a chair, bringing a smile to her face. He's back home, she thought.

“Hey Yonghwa,” she greeted, going in the kitchen.

“Hi Mee-Na,” Yonghwa smiled warmly at her, “I was making some tea, do you want one?”

“Oh yes, please.”

“It's all done lady,” he uttered, taking another cup in the cupboard.

“So how was your day?” Mee-Na asked, sitting on a stool, at the counter.

“Great, but really freezing. Seoul can be cold in October but damn it was hard today.”

“Yeah but I took a walk outside of the house anyway,” Mee-Na said, playing with an apple, in the fruit basket.

Yonghwa stared at her with a “You're kidding” expression, before going back to the preparation of the tea, shaking his head.

“Hey you know, I think we'll be better in the living room with the fireplace. Let's go.”

Mee-Na nodded and they went in, before sitting on the couch. They both took a gulp of their tea and smiled at each other. They were feeling really good together at the moment. Until, Yonghwa's phone vibrated. He read the text message and sighed.

“Work?”

“Yeah as always. It's incredible, I sometimes have the impression that I can never have any privacy. I'm a work alcoholic but sometimes it's too much. Even when I'm at home for less than 20 minutes, work is calling me again.”

“Bad day?”

“No, not really. We began to talk about some projects today, and there were some disagreements. Not big things but boring stuff sometimes.”

The new projects were the promotion of his first album and the preparation of his first solo tour to launch the album.

“So you're better here,” Mee-Na uttered, smiling at him.

“Yeah, I really am lovely stranger,” Yonghwa smiled back, before looking through the window.

Even if she wasn't considering himself as a stranger anymore, Mee-Na loved her nickname.

“You know what this weather makes me think about?” Yonghwa inquired, staring at the wind blowing in the trees and the rain, started to fall.

“No.”

“Of my childhood and the very bad falls or winters we could have.”

“Here in Seoul?”

“No, I'm not from here. I grew up in Busan. Don't you hear my accent from time to time?” he asked in a smile.

“Hmm I never really paid attention to it,” Mee-Na smiled.

“Well, I'm doing some progress so,” Yonghwa laughed, “Anyway, back then the weather could be really bad there. Wind, snow, very cold,” he shivered from his thought, “And I remember when we were building snowmen and having snow ball fights with my brother. Sometimes, we could be frozen to the bones but we had so much fun.”

“Yeah, I can imagine. Snow is beautiful.”

“It's true. I like when the setting is entirely covered by white. Everything looks different and maybe more beautiful sometimes. But what I liked was the winter evenings with my family. We would snuggle with my brother the both of us, covered with a cover in front of our TV. We would drink hot tea and imagine what our lives could be. Our parents would listen to us with loving smiles on their faces. Those are good memories,” he smiled, lost in his thoughts.

“You seemed close to your family?”

“We are. I can't see them very often now, not as much I would like to. They still live in Busan and I'm a lot busy here...” he sniffed before clearing his throat, “Anyway, it was great memories. Memories of a happy childhood,” he smiled.

“They sound good, really.”

Mee-Na looked down, her smile fading away. Yonghwa noticed her sudden sad look, feeling embarrassed.

“Mee-Na, is everything alright?” he asked very gently.

“Yeah, It's just...I don't remember anything, my childhood, nothing. Usually, during this kind of conversation, I would have to share some memories too with you. But I have nothing to share,” she looked down sadly.

Seeing his guest unhappy was something Yonghwa didn't like at all. He slowly came closer to her, wrapping his arm around her shoulder.

“Mee-Na, it's nothing. One day you'll be able to share things with me. And maybe...” he paused, with a serious look on his face, “Do you think that it's maybe time for you? To see a specialist about your memory? Maybe it's time for you to begin to work on it?”

“Do you think so?” You think I already have to work to recover it?”

“Don't think I want to push you out,” Yonghwa smiled, “It's just...You need to find out who you are.”

“Okay, you're right. I won't be a so called Mee-Na all my life.”

“No you won't,” Yonghwa uttered, looking away sadly.

Yonghwa knew it was the right thing to do. She had to recover her memory and her life. The young girl was Mee-Na, only for him but it wasn't right. Despite that, he was sad to think she would leave, maybe sooner that he thought in the first place.

The only company he had in a long time will soon leave him.