Chapter 13

When memories are gone

Nearly a month...Nearly a month went by since the incident in the studio. For Yonghwa, it was that, a simple incident. Something that didn’t have to happen and will never happen again.

Since then, they never talked about it and were acting like nothing happened. Despite all of that, things changed right from that moment. Yonghwa and Mee-Na were closer in the way they talked to each other, in their moves. They were still friends but the line between love and friendship seemed to get thinner and thinner.

“Yonghwa! Breakfast is ready!” Mee-Na screamed from the bottom of the stairs.

“I'm coming, just need to find my missing sneakers!” he yelled from upstairs.

“Just clean your room sometimes!”

When Yonghwa finally came out, going downstairs, Mee-Na was waiting for him at the bottom. He stopped beside her, looking at her with a smile.

“Tell me sweet Mee-Na, did you insinuate that I'm a messy guy?”

“Hmm let me think...Yep!” she winked at him.

“If I wasn't a civilized man, I would give you a punishment for insulting the owner of the house,” he grinned, wildly.

“And...which one?” she asked, coming closer, staring right in his black eyes.

Yonghwa looked down, being caught at his own game.

“Well...I...I,” he stammered, “I don't know. Maybe no breakfast for you, this morning.”

“Oh what a horrible punishment,” she replied, laughing.

She then left, going in the kitchen, still laughing. Yonghwa stayed there paralyzed. MEE-Na's laugh was the most amazing sound he could hear in the morning. She still had her long black hair wet from her shower and Yonghwa found this very y.

“Hey, owner of the house, you coming or what?” Mee-Na screamed from the kitchen.

“Yeah!”

“What were you doing?” She asked, as Yonghwa came into the room.

“Nothing,” he replied, sitting on a stool.

They began to have breakfast in laughter and joy, like every morning.

“Hey Yong, you have some soup on your lips,” Mee-Na laughed

Yonghwa looked at her, surprised.

“What?”

“You called me Yong. You never did that.”

“Oh sorry if I'm not supposed to. It's just for your close friends or family, right?”

“No that's not it. It doesn't bother me, and you're one of them now,” Yonghwa stated, smiling.

“Oh thank you.”

Mee-Na looked at him, smiling. She stood up, before kissing Yonghwa's cheek. The brunet stared at her when they suddenly heard someone, clearing his throat in the background.

“Ho-Joo? Wht are you doing here?” Yonghwa asked, ill at ease, after he turned around.

“We were supposed to work on a project. You know, starting to plan the upcoming tour of our artist,” Ho-Joo explained, “It seems I'm pretty early.”

“No, it's fine. I just didn't remember you were coming here.”

“Hi Mee-Na,” Ho-Joo greeted.

“Hello. Well, I think I should let you work. See you Yong.”

“See you,” Yonghwa declared, standing up, before patting Mee-Na's head.

Mee-Na left smiling, without forgetting to glance a last time at Yonghwa.

“It looks like you two became close,” Ho-Joo remarked, with a suspicious look.

“Oh don't start with that, okay? There's nothing. Now can we start to work?” Yonghwa asked, pretty irritated.

Yonghwa and Ho-Joo worked for nearly the entire morning about Yonghwa's first solo tour while Mee-Na was at another session. Despite all her efforts, nothing really changed. She started to remember some things she liked or hated but still nothing about her identity or the night when she was found.

Mee-Na came back home around 11:00am, carrying big bags. When she went in, sge dropped two bags on the floor. Yonghwa who was sitting with Ho-Joo in the living room, stood up when he heard the noise.

“Wow Mee-Na, what is it?” he asked, kneeling to pick up the bags.

“Sorry if I disturbed you. I just wanted to cook something for you today,” she replied, smiling.

“Cook for me? Oh that's really nice,” Yonghwa hugged her, before quickly breaking the embrace.

“Well you can hug me again after we've eaten okay?”

“I’m sure it will be perfect, sweet Mee-Na,” Yonghwa uttered, caressing her cheek.

Mee-Na giggled before going in the kitchen.

“Really, what was that?” Ho-Joo asked, in the living room doorway.

“What? I helped her with the bags. There's no big deal.”

“No big deal? I was talking about the hug, those giggles. That's a big deal.”

“Ho-Joo, we're just friends, close friends now. I just want to be nice to her. She's living with me so I want everything to be fine between us, that's all,” he shrugged.

“Yes but what I saw was more. Yonghwa, be honest, you're attracted to her. You've begun to have feelings for her, haven't you?”

“I haven't,” Yonghwa replied, firmly, “Well, maybe. I'm attracted to her but I don't have feelings. I mean, I don't think so, and...Oh Ho-Joo you !” Yonghwa uttered, sitting on his couch, annoyed.

“Well Yonghwa, I warned you but you're stubborn. Maybe on your side, there's not that kind of feeling yet but for her, I think it's pretty obvious.”

“Do you think?”

“Yes and it's not good...Yonghwa,” Ho-Joo started, sitting next to him, “A missing as was published for her two days ago in the press. Mr. Park told me and I saw it this morning. They're looking for her.”

“What? Really?” Yonghwa asked, sadly.

“But what did you expect? That you could keep her here forever?”

“No, not really.”

“Yonghwa, don't fall in love with her. If it's not already the case, be careful and keep your feelings to yourself.”

“Yes, you're right,” Yonghwa sighed, looking toward the kitchen.

“We're done for today. I have to go back to the agency and report what we worked on to Han Seong-Ho. I have to go,” Ho-Joo stood up.

“Okay.”

They headed to Yonghwa's door. Ho-Joo said goodbye to Mee-Na before leaving.

“Mee-Na, I'll be busy until lunch. Call me when it's ready, ok?”

“Sure!” she yelled from the kitchen.

Yonghwa locked himself in his bedroom, sat on his bed and thought. He thought about Mee-Na, about this missing ad being published. But moreover, he thought about his feelings. What did he feel exactly for her? Friendship? Caring or even love?

Those reflections drove him insane. In the hopes of clearing up his mind, he decided to call someone he could trust. Someone who already know Mee-Na and the situation and with whom he could talk easily, knowing that his feelings would be saved : Minhyuk.

Yonghwa and him were close but moreover, Minhyuk was good at keeping secrets and even if he could nag sometimes, he was pretty wise and was giving good advices.

After a long call, Yonghwa finally joined Mee-Na for lunch, but his mind wasn’t really any clearer.

“Oh Mee-Na, that was very delicious,” Yonghwa sighed, slumpin in his chair, putting a hand on his stomach, “We discover another talent of yours.”

“Really? I'm happy you liked it,” she grinned.

“And thank you for doing this for me. You're the first person, beside my mom and Ahjumma, who ever cooked for me. Well, if I don't include the three stupid guys you've already met,” he smiled.

“Oh you're kidding! None of your girlfriends did that?”

“Sweet Mee-Na, it's a topic I prefer to avoid if you don't mind,” Yonghwa smiled.

“Oh tell me, what is your type of woman?”

“It's not fair. I can't ask you that, you don't remember anything.”

“Nevermind, so answer me,” she smiled.

“Oooh, I can't refuse you anything,” Yonghwa smiled.

“Wrong, you refused me the last piece of cake,” Mee-Na stated, sticking out her tongue.

“Oh true,” Yonghwa laughed, “Well, so my type of woman, hmmm...” he thought, rubbing his chin, “Physically, I don't have a real type. I love sophisticated women but actually, any kind of girls can attract me as long as I find them attractive,” he smiled, “I think it's more a question of personality and the feeling I have with them,” he shrugged.

“And so about the personality?”

“Oh you're really nosey. I like warm and nice girls. I like them quiet but with a cheerful personality. I like them being able to laugh and have fun. A woman who can't have fun won't catch my interest. She has to be cultivated a little...What else? I like a good ear when I need to talk or...plead myself,” he smiled, “I think that's pretty much it,” he shrugged.

“Well, it's already a lot of things,” Mee-Na laughed.

“No...Well maybe,” Yonghwa smiled.

“And you never found this woman?”

“There have been some interesting women. But no, not really. I've been very busy too to even think about that,” he smiled, “But I'm not desperate, I'm sure...I'm sure I will find her...soon,” Yonghwa said, staring at her.

Mee-Na blushed before turning her eyes away. Yonghwa then looked at his plate, playing nervously with his fork.

“Okay Mee-Na, thanks for the lunch but I have to go” as he stood up, “I'll be at work.”

“Al...Alright. See you tonight.”

“Yeah, bye.”

Yonghwa waved at her before leaving for his agency. He didn't really have to go there but he needed to get away from the house, to get away from her. What did he insinuate by “I will find her soon”? And the way he stared at her.

Ho-Joo was maybe right. Was Yonghwa falling in love with Mee-Na?