Chapter 15

When memories are gone

December arrived. The snow was beginning to fall and more importantly, Christmas was coming. Mee-Na was very excited to see the festive season arriving. Thanks to her sessions, she remembered how much she loved Christmas.

Mee-Na was also very excited abou the idea of doing something special for Yonghwa. She still had in mind all the things she said to him during their first argument. Even if Brian wasn't mad at her at all, she wanted plan a surprise for him.

Yonghwa!” Mee-Na called from the living room.

Yes!”

Yonghwa joined her and was surprised to see her, dressed, with the perfect outfit to face the cold weather.

Hey where are you going?”

In town. I'll be out for an hour or two.”

Don't go alone. Take someone with you.”

Don't worry. Se-Ra is going with me.”

Good. But why do you need to go in town?”

A little surprise,” she replied, grinning.

Why am I suddenly scared?” Yonghwa asked, smiling.

No don't be, you'll like it,” as she kissed his cheek, “See you Yong!”

Mee-Na left and Yonghwa smiled. He was glad to see Mee-Na happy again with him. But on the other hand, he was also a little scared about this little surprise.

For nearly two hours, Mee-Na walked down the streets of Seoul. She was fascinating by the lights, the stores with their wonderful and beautiful windows decorated in the spirit of Christmas. All those wonderful things made her feel happier.

She ended her shopping by buying a gift for Yonghwa. It wasn’t anything big, but she hoped, Yonghwa would like it and she’d be totally forgiven.

She finally came back home, her arms fill of bags.

Yonghwa, I’m here!”

Yonghwa quickly came downstairs, in a hurry to see this so called surprise.

Mee-Na, what are all those bags?”

A part of my surprise,” she said, taking off her coat, “Oh and I had Chinese food for lunch,” she uttered, going in the kitchen, winking at him.

Yonghwa sighed, waiting for her to come back. He had his arms crossed, tapping his feet on the floor, impatiently. He didn’t enough information about his surprise.

What are you waiting for?” Mee-Na asked, coming happily from the kitchen.

You don’t know? I’m waiting for your surprise,” he said, frowning.

Oh I see, so…” she stated, opening one of the bags, “Here is our complete Christmas array!” she expressed happily, showing big Christmas stockings to Yonghwa, “And there are decorations and we’ll have our Christmas tree tomorrow!”

I knew I wouldn’t completely like this surprise,” Yonghwa whispered.

What? You’re not happy?” Mee-Na asked, noticing his embarrassment.

It’s not that Mee-Na, it’s very nice of you, really but…” he sat on his couch, “I don’t really decorate the house for Christmas and I don’t always celebrate it.”

You don’t?” as Mee-Na sat on the couch too, “But why?”

First of all, I live alone so I don’t decorate the house for myself you know. Moreover, with my work, I can be pretty busy this day. It already happened for me to be overseas on this day. So most of the time, it’s like any other days of the year for me,” he shrugged.

Oh really? It must be hard sometimes.”

Sometimes. But don’t think, I don’t like Christmas or that I never celebrate it. I do but sometimes it’s just a classic working day for me. Like for this year, I didn’t plan anything special. I’m so sorry, sweet Mee-Na, I cut you off in your excitement,” he apologized, embarrassed.

No it’s nothing, I understand. It’s just…” she looked down sadly.

Just what?”

I also bought you a present for Christmas so…”

You bought me a present, really?” Yonghwa asked, surprised but touched.

Yes, I thought we’ll do something big for Christmas and it was a way to apologize for the other day.”

It’s really nice but you don’t need to do that. You’re forgiven and for the present well…”

I know!” Mee-Na declared, happily, “I can give it to you now. After all we’re only a few days away from Christmas. What do you think? And to be honest, I can’t wait to give it to you.”

Yonghwa couldn’t say no, seeing how happy the young lady was.

Alright, we can do that.”

Great! Hold on for a second.”

She stood up quickly, before looking in one of the bags, taking a rather big box out.

Here!” she uttered, holding it to him with a grin.

Thanks. So let’s see,” Yonghwa replied, rubbing his hands.

Yonghwa opened the wrapping paper and smiled wildly. Mee-Na got him a black mid-length coat.

It would be great for winter and I saw you in a white one once, but I thought a black one would be good too.”

Mee-Na, it’s beautiful. I really love it. Thank you very much.”

Try it on.”

Yonghwa nodded, standing up and put the coat on.

Perfect!” Mee-Na expressed, happily.

Yonghwa surprised himself by blushing, before smiling. He slowly approached Mee-Na and kissed her cheek tenderly. A tender kiss like never before.

Thanks sweet Mee-Na,” he said with his hand under her chin.

Mee-Na blushed before turning her head away, embarrassed.

Well, now I’m the one who’s embarrassed,” Yonghwa declared, scratching the back on his head.

Why?”

Well, as I didn’t plan anything for Christmas and as I wasn’t expecting you,” he smiled, “I didn’t buy you anything. That’s not fair.”

Oh no don’t worry about that. I didn’t do that for having a present in return, it’s okay,” as she caressed Yonghwa's arm tenderly. “So let’s eat!”

Mee-Na left for the kitchen, happily. Yonghwa took his coat off and stayed alone for a few seconds. She didn’t do that for having a present in return but he felt embarrassed by this situation. He had to find something for her, something as special as her.

Yonghwa! Lunch’s ready!”

I’m coming!”

He joined her to share some tasty Chinese food. After a hearty meal, they went into the living room to have a cup of coffee together, in front of the fireplace. Yonghwa finally stood up, before putting his jacket on, under the questioning look of Mee-Na.

Where are you going?” she asked, surprised.

I won’t be long. I just remember that I have one or two things to see at work. I’ll be back in hour tops.”

Okay. Don’t catch a cold.”

No don’t worry. See you later.”

In reality, Yonghwa decided to leave the warmness of his house and face the cold weather, to buy a present for Mee-Na. He felt he had to do it. As he said to Mee-Na, one hour later, he was back at home.

Wow what a bad weather,” he uttered, walking in and removing the snow from his coat.

Yes, it was very smart to go out for only an hour,” Mee-Na rationalised.

Sure. It was as useful as your shopping was.”

Yonghwa came near the couch where Mee-Na was reading a book and smiled.

And here’s the reason why I went out,” as he handed her a little envelope.

What is this?” You didn’t have to get me anything.”

I know, just open it.”

She carefully opened the envelope, finding two planes tickets.

Destination: Paris. Departure: 12/31/2014...,” she began to read slowly.

Mee-Na’s face suddenly lit up with a wild smile.

We’re going to Paris?! For the New Year?!” she asked, excited.

Yeah, just the two of us.”

Oh Yonghwa, thank you! Thank you!” as she jumped from the couch to hug him.

Well you told me one day that you found Paris fascinating, that you wanted to go there for shopping so…” he explained, smiling.

You’re amazing, thank you!” Mee-Na thanked him, hugging him again, “And for someone who didn’t have any plans for the end of the year and didn’t think about a gift for me, well…” she looked down suddenly.

What? What’s wrong?”

Well, I only bought you a coat and you offered what could be the trip of a lifetime. I feel a little embarrassed. I mean it’s expensive and…”

Don’t worry about that,” Yonghwa uttered, putting his hands on his shoulders, “I can afford it and I wanted something special for you,” he said shyly.

Well, you couldn’t do any better. Thank you so much,” she thanked again, hugging him.

You’re welcome sweet Mee-Na.”

Yonghwa put his head in Mee-Na’s neck and they stayed embrace for a few moments. They were feeling warmness and safety in each other’s arms.

Mee-Na,” he looked at her.

He slowly leaned in but Mee-Na shook her head.

No,” she uttered, nearly in a whisper.

Yonghwa gave the hint of a smile, disappointed, before breaking the hug. The silence was heavy between them. He wanted to kiss her but Mee-Na rejected him, and he didn’t know how to deal with that. Mee-Na, made a step backwards, looking down.

I’m going to make some hot chocolates. It’s a good weather for it. I’ll be in the kitchen if you want one too.”

Alright,” he replied with the hint of a smile.

Mee-Na left and Yonghwa stayed in the living room. He was quite surprised and disappointed by Mee-Na’s reaction. Maybe he was wrong? Maybe the feelings were only on his side? But there was one thing he knew for sure, in two weeks he would be alone with Mee-Na in Paris.