Chapter 5

When memories are gone

The next morning, Yonghwa woke up slowly. He was on a rare day off and thought he could take advantage of it for once. The wearther was surprisingly good for an October day.

He got out the bed and went closer to the window. He suddenly thought that Mee-Na and him could go out somewhere and enjoy some free time together.

He got dressed with black pants and a light blue sweater. After a quick last look in the mirror, he went downstairs to the kitchen. To his surprise, Mee-Na was already there, eating her breakfast quietly.

Hey lovely stranger,” Yonghwa greeted, walking in.

Hi! What was the use of finding me a name if you still call me lovely stranger?” Mee-Na asked smiling.

Yonghwa smiled back. He liked her outspokenness.

Well, I like to give nicknames to people sometimes, to tease them,” as he smiled, “So Mee-Na,” as he insisted on her name, “You're already awake? Don't tell me I'll be the only deep sleeper here?” he laughed, sitting on a stool.

You actually woke up pretty early. But no, I like sleeping a lot too. I don't know, I woke up often last night. I had some nightmares.”

Really? About what happened?”

Maybe, it was very blurred. All I can remember is that I had an agitated sleep,” she sighed.

Well, you're talking to an expert of agitated sleep.”

Really? You just told me you were a deep sleeper.”

I love sleeping but I also can wake up several times a night sometimes. We get use to it with time,” he smiled.

Maybe but I like sleeping too much anyway,” Mee-Na pouted, making the two laughed.

Yonghwa liked to see that Mee-Na seemed more and more at ease with him and moreover, to feel they could have a good connection.

Mee-Na, I was thinking of something this morning. As the weather seems good, would you like to go out with me? There are stables not far from here where we could see beautiful horses. I know the owner, I could show you the place.”

Well it sounds interesting. Alright, I would like to,” she stated, looking at him with a little smile.

So it's fine,” Yonghwa smiled too.

After breakfast, they planned to meet each other in front of the house in 45 minutes. Even if Yonghwa was on a day off, he always had things to do, like phone calls and things linked to his business.

Mee-Na was waiting for him in front of the house, looking around, feeling so at peace. A light wind was caressing her face and she was amazed by the quietness of the place. Not a noise around. Yonghwa's property was like a heaven of peace for her.

At Mee-Na's surprise, Yonghwa finally arrived in a pretty expensive car. He stopped in front of her and got out of the car.

Hey, sorry it took me some time. A last minute call.”

No problem,” she shrugged, “You're not too late.”

Good! So can we go?”

Sure.”

After you,” Yonghwa said, opening the door for her, before sitting on the driver seat, “I'll be your private chauffeur for today,” he smiled at Mee-Na.

Yonghwa, is it really your car? I mean it's great but looks pretty expensive,” Mee-Na uttered, caressing the dashboard.

It is mine and yes it's pretty expensive,” Yonghwa laughed, “But like all the little boys, I dreamt of a big car.”

I don't get this thing about men and big cars,” she sighed.

Because you're a girl, that's the only explanation,” Yonghwa laughed making Mee-Na laughed as well.

Yonghwa started the car and drove to the farm at 20 minutes from his property. On the way there, Mee-Na was glancing at him from time to time.

Yonghwa, can I ask you a question?”

Sure, go on.”

Why are you living alone out of the city like that? You're young and working so...Are you an anti-social person?”

Yonghwa laughed to her remark.

I'm not anti-social. I actually do like people. It's just in my work, you're always surrounding by people. I'm a lot under the spotlight because of my job...And I love it but sometimes it can be weighty. From time to time, I feel that I can't be totally myself because I'm always watched over. So when I'm not working, I love to be quietly at home even if loneliness can be really hard sometimes too...”

Yonghwa looked away, sighing. Mee-Na started feeling uncomfortable. It seemed that Yonghwa was more lonely than she thought. His smile was probably hiding something less cheerful.

So, are we finally at the stables?” she asked, happily breaking the heavy silence.

Yes nearly,” Yonghwa replied, smiling again.

They finally arrived to the horse stables. They were greeted by the owner, a warm and smiling mid-age man. He possessed 4 beautiful horses : a white one, a black one and two brown. Mee-Na slowly approached them and smiled. She was very happy to be there, she felt good amongst the horses.

Yonghwa was looking at her, while Mee-Na approached the black horse. She slowly caressed him, tenderly, to which the horse responded by giving her a soft hit with his head. Mee-Na laughed, making Yonghwa smile. She seemed so innocent and pure at this moment.

What?” she asked, finally noticing Yonghwa's eyes on her.

Nothing, it's just cute to look at you both like this. It seems like he adopted you.”

Kind of, I guess,” she smiled at Yonghwa.

Would you like to ride one?” the owner asked.

I don't know. I can't remember if I ever did this before.”

I'll help you,” the owner replied with a friendly smile.

Yeah, just try to climb up and go a few steps for today,” Yonghwa said.

Oh say the one who never wanted to try riding,” the owner teased.

What? I did...It's been a while but I did,” Yonghwa answered offended.

No you got scared when you start climbing up. You rode with me instead,” the owner laughed.

Really?” Mee-Na asked, laughing.

No no he's kidding. I rode by myself...I swear I did,” Yonghwa tried to defend himself, laughing.

Anyway, I can try,” Mee-Na stated.

Mee-Na and the owner approached the black horse. He explained a few things to her before helping her to ride. Mee-Na attempted a few times, letting her tongue out in concentration, making Yonghwa smile. After a last attempt, Mee-Na was on the horse.

Hey look, I did it!” she declared happily to Yonghwa.

It's great, now just let the owner guide you a little. I'm waiting over here.”

Mee-Na nodded before leaving with the owner. The man had her ride around his property, before bringing her to the stables. After a good stroll, Mee-Na finally joined Yonghwa, who was waiting for her, looking at his phone.

Hey Yonghwa, we're back,” Mee-Na said smiling.

Hey,” as Yonghwa put his phone in his pocket, “How was the ride?”

Great!” she replied, getting down off the horse, “Thank you,” she thanked the owner.

It was a pleasure miss Mee-Na.”

I really appreciated that. Thanks Yonghwa.”

It's okay, I'm glad you had fun. Come with me, he also has a beautiful water spot just right here.”

They both joined the small pond and sat on the bench, looking at the water. They start talking about the great moment Mee-Na spent with the horses. After some minutes, Mee-Na was getting cold as the wind became stronger. She silently came closer to Yonghwa.

Are you cold?”

Yeah a little.”

Hmm well...You can come closer if you want,” he said hesitantly, before clearing his throat.

He opened his arms, inviting Mee-Na to come closer. She snuggled more against him, feeling the warmth of Yonghwa's body.

Mee-Na, maybe I'm wrong...” Yonghwa started hesitantly, “But I have the feeling that you're less scared of me. You seem really more at ease already.”

Well, why should I be afraid of the person who saved me, after all?” she inquired, staring at Yonghwa.

Yonghwa smiled before wrapping his arm around her shoulder. After all, he saved her and she could bring much more than he ever expected.

When they went into the house, the two people were laughing. Laughing like they never did before together. Yonghwa told Mee Na some jokes on their way back and he couldn't help but laugh.

You're very funny Yonghwa,” Mee-Na said smiling.

Thanks, say it again.”

What? That you're funny?”

Yeah, I love when people say that I'm funny,” he smiled.

Well you can and yes, you're funny” as they both laughed.

When they went in the living room, Yonghwa made a fire in the fireplace.

Mee-Na, I have things to do right now. I'm sorry to be so busy, but now, please make yourself at home. Until you'll recover your strenght and your mind, this is your home, right?”

Alright, thanks.”

So I'll be in my office for doing some business. Enjoy the house,” he uttered as he left.

Mee-Na was left alone, in the big living room, wondering what she could do on her own. She started to wander around the room before reaching the bookshelf, running her fingers on some of the books' spine.

She finally picked one named Familiar Things written by Hwang Sok-Yong. She went upstairs in her bedroom before sitting on the floor, starting to read.

Meanwhile, Yonghwa was in his office. He didn't have any business to do, he just wanted to be alone for a few moment to think. An idea crossed his mind when he was with Mee-Na earlier. He had to protect her until she felt ready to confront the world and Yonghwa had to protect himself, too. He was doing something illegal and he was a very famous man.

He finally picked up his phone and called several persons. He called his manager Bruce, Ho-Joo, Mr. Park and his band members, asking them to come as soon as possible to his place. They all planned to be there by an hour.

One hour later, they all arrived and Yonghwa convened them in the living room. Everybody sat and waited to know what was going on.

Yonghwa, why are we all here?” Jonghyun asked, playing with his fingers.

Well, you all know that 2 days ago, Mr Park here wanted to see me,” he started and his band members agreed, “Well...It's because I'm doing something pretty illegual....”

What?” Bruce asked, surprised.

The thing is I shelter someone here. A young lady...”

Wow Hyung you surprise me,” Minhyuk teased, “But why is it illegual to do that?”

Because it's against her will,” Ho-Joo stated.

No it's not,” Yonghwa uttered firmly, “We found her by the road and she doesn't remember anything about who she is and what happened. Mee-Na, the name we gave her for the moment and I, we decided that she will stay here permanently,” Yonghwa explained, scrutinizing their reactions.

Yonghwa!” Bruce and Ho-Joo yelled.

Only until she remembers something or at least she would feel ready to look for who she is outside. I made you come here to explain you the situation and to guarantee me that you won't speak about her in any circumstances. Family, police, medias at least until we make the decision to.”

Hyung...” Jungshin started, rubbing his chin, “I get that you wanted and want to help her but to keep her here kind of secretly. I don't know...”

I'm not keeping her against her will. We talked about it and she decided to stay for a while.”

Well, it's pretty unusual but at the same time, if she's agree and if it's temporary...” Jonghyun uttered, “I think that's fine,” he shrugged.

Yeah pretty much but be careful anyway,” Minhyuk smiled and Yonghwa smiled back at him.

Are you all out of your mind?” Bruce yelled.

I'm afraid they are,” Ho-Joo replied.

Yeah I know what you're thinking,” Yonghwa said to him.

Yes you know what I'm thinking of this situation. You know it's not good.”

Yes tell him!” Bruce stated, pointing to Mr. Park.

Well, I'm not really for this situation but if the young girl is consenting, there's nothing we can do.” the lawyer explained.

I can't believe this,” Bruce sighed, rubbing his forehead.

Yonghwa, listen. I know why you're doing that. You want to help that girl which is good, and you probably want some company here. But this, it could bring you some big troubles,” Ho-Joo explained.

But I'm just sheltering someone who needs help damned!” Yonghwa uttered angrily, “She's free to go anytime she wants! Why do you always have to tell me what's good or not? It's my private life!” he screamed making his band members to startle.

We have to tell you what to do for keeping you on tracks and prevent any scandals to happen!” Bruce screamed too.

Scandals always scandals. In this country, everything can be a scandal. She's not my prisoner.”

I don't even what to think about the CEO's reaction...” Bruce sighed.

Don't tell him for now. I don't want Han Seong-Ho to know about her.”

But...” Bruce started but was cut by Jonghyun.

Yonghwa is right,” Jonghyun finally said, “I'm not really convinced that it's the best way to act but there's nothing completely wrong in this.”

Ok, you want to have a girl at home?” Bruce said angrily, “Fine! But don't come back to complain if you get in troubles because of this girl. Her presence will destroy your life and carreer!”

Suddenly, the door of the living room slowly opened. Mee-Na was in the doorway, with tears in her eyes.

Mee-Na?” Yonghwa asked, looking over at her, “You were there? What did you hear?”

She didn't answer and just sniffed.

Everybody out please.”

Yonghwa...” Bruce started.

Everybody out!” Yonghwa stated firmly.

The Cnblue members looked at their leader pretty surprised but obeyed anyway. Minhyuk and Jonghyun, both, patted Yonghwa's shoulder with a slight smile before leaving. Jungshin left without a word with Ho-Joo and Mr. Park.

Yonghwa...” Bruce uttered close to the singer, “I can't understand this. Don't lose your mind for her.”

When everyone had left, Yonghwa went right to Mee-Na, before putting his hand on her shoulder. But the girl moved her shoulder away.

Mee-Na...For how long were you there?” he asked, concerned.

Enough long. Enough long to hear everything. It was...” she paused, sighing.

Mee-Na, it's nothing.”

Nothing? Since I've been here, it's like everybody is screaming at you. You seem to always argue with someone. He was right...”

Who?”

The last man who screamed. I will des...”

Stop! Stop this!” Yonghwa cut her off, firmly but turned his tone in a softer one when he saw her surprised look, “Come with me,” as he held out his hand to her.

They went on the couch and sat down. Yonghwa was still holding her hand in his.

Look this place. Look around you...I have a pretty big house and it's beautiful isn't it? But it's also empty. I'm living alone here for quite a time with no one sharing my life. I have many friends in my business but we're all so busy that they barely come to visit. But now, you're here Mee Na. I know that it won't last and that one day you will have to leave. But at the moment, I don't want you to feel bad for living here. You don't owe me anything, alright?”

Mee-Na shook his head as a response.

And for this thing of destroying my life...” Yonghwa paused, “Don't let anyone try telling you that. And for the rest, I'll deal with it, with them. Just enjoy staying with me. And honestly...” Yonghwa paused, lost in Mee-Na's eyes, “How's a pretty girl like you going to destroy my life?” He inquired, about to caress Mee-Na's hair but took his move back, embarrassed.

Mee-Na starred at Yonghwa, before hugging him all of sudden.

Yonghwa, it means a lot. But, I'm so sorry for all of that.”

Don't,” Yonghwa replied in a slight smile, putting her head on his shoulder.

Thank you,” she whispered, bringing a bigger smile to Yonghwa's face.