The Gaelin Gambit

Golden Quill - The Leaders (GQ3)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There was a spring in Mika’s step as she walked up the porch and faced Davi and Sung-kyung. It was clear she expected some sort of commendation for her performance.  

“Shouldn’t you bow to your Madame?” Davi immediately set her down to earth, “After all in this house, you’re just a butler.” 

Mika’s pressed her lips together, her jaw clenched, her hand came up. 

“Do it.” Davi dared.

Mika stepped, “Do I look like Hana? I don’t rush in. Only fools do that.” 

Sung-kyung stepped forward, but Davi held out her arm to stop her.

“Everything okay?” Tao came to check why they were taking so long.
“Fine,” Davi walked back inside. Her back straight, with perfect poise, “Oh Mika, since you’re the only butler, be a dear and fetch me a cup of tea.” 

Tao stopped the young butler from entering, “You killed good people. Isa was my friend…”
“Well, they were like sisters to me, so imagine how I feel?" Mika replied. 

The judges were discussing the handover with Yimin when they slipped back into the dining room. “We will vacate the house for now, but still require the barn and run of the island. You may continue to watch the Golden Quill Competition but no one is to leave the house.” Jin handed Yimin a copy of the post-competition rules. 

“What about the guards?” Yixing asked. 

Davi sat down heavily, the adrenalin of her open declaration to Kris, wearing off. 

“You’re not feeling well?” Sung-kyung crouched in front of her. 

Davi’s smile was weak. 

“Let me check on that tea.” she used the dining room entrance to the kitchen. It was empty. Not even a chef or under-butler. Sung-kyung searched for the same coffee they had that morning. She needed something strong. Where was it? Everything was here, except what she needed. Her legs became shaky and she sank onto a sack of rice. Her heartbeat was erratic. She could count each heavy thump clearly. In the coolness of the pantry, she cried remembering the instant flash of pain on Sehun’s face when Isa had fallen off the bridge. It was raw, something even he couldn’t control. But, it was the price for Yimin to lead the Zhang family. He was the only truly pure one amongst his brothers. One less psychopath with power had to be a good thing. 

“This wasn’t what I wanted.” 

Sung-kyung only paid attention cause it was Yifeng and he sounded uncharacteristically upset. Not angry, not violent, almost sad? 

“Those es left me no choice. They ganged up on me!” 

He must be talking to Mika...Sung-kyung edged closer to the door and peeked out. She couldn’t see them because of the wall separating the scullery from the main kitchen, but she could hear them clearly now. 

“The plan was for Isa to win, do you know how complicated this makes everything?” 

“If you’re too afraid to kill your brothers then I’ll do it for you but you have to keep your promise…” 

“We’ll do it tonight, once we have the island to ourselves again.” Yifeng placated her, “Just don’t raise any suspicions. Do your job…” 

Sung-kyung didn’t wait to hear the rest. She slipped back down the service passage and into the Dining room. 

“Guys!...” she was panting, “Guys....” she didn’t have much time, they could come back, “We were right. Yifeng...he…” 

“Breathe!” Davi rubbed her back

“Yifeng does plan to steal your place but the real kicker is that Mika's in on it too....” she snapped her fingers, her eyes bright and big as she recalled the moment w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter