The Party

Unlikely Family

*Ding Dong*

Micha raced to the door.  She pulled the door open and in walked Key. 

"Happy Birthday Micha!" he sang, dropping several large bags in order to give her a hug. 

"Thanks, Key. What's all this?"

"Why, the decorations of course! Don't you worry, hun. This place will look fabulous when I'm through with it." He said, picking up a bag full of colored paper and heading into her living room. Micha giggled to herself and picked up the rest of the bags. She went in to start helping Key with whatever extravagant plan he must have for her dorm....

~~~~~~

"There! How do you like it?" Key asked, adding his finishing touch to the decorations. Micha thought it was all too much for a simple get together, but it really was nice.

"Wow, I had no idea you were so talented! The art department is lucky to have you!" she said. Key beamed as he looked around at his masterpiece.  There was a huge banner across the wall over the table that read "Happy Birthday Micha!" in pretty calligraphy.  There were little paper hearts hanging from the banner in various colors.  Key had painted a wonderful portrait of Micha which had almost brought her to tears when she saw it. There were also paper lanterns hanging from the ceiling that Key had hand made. There were balloons everywhere attatched the walls and the ceiling.

"Some of my best work if I may say so myself."  Key then spun on his heel and headed towards the Kitchen. He took the last bag with him.  Micha followed him and watched as Key pulled a big white box out of the bag. Inside was her birthday cake. 

"I decorated it myself." Micha was at a loss for words and Key smiled at her expression. He had gone to the bakery yesterday and special ordered a cake with no frosting. He spent all morning working on it (as well as the decorations). Micha was his first friend in a long while and he wanted to do something special for her. He smiled down at his cake now. He had used her favorite colors, light green and pale purple. 

"It... it's... amazing!" she squealed and pulled Key into a hug.

"What the hell am I supposed to do for your birthday, Key? How can I possibly top this?!" she pulled away to look at him, half-joking, half-serious.

"It's alright." he laughed. "I think I enjoy my handmade gifts more than the people who recieve them..."

"I think you're wrong this time. This stuff is awesome." Micha said looking around at his decorations. "Don't think you're taking any of this back with you!"

"Keep it, it's all yours." he laughed and started to fill his arms with bowls and snacks, making his way to the dining room.  Micha followed him and helped him set it up.

"Do you have any milk?"

"In the fridge." Micha answered.  Key went back into the kitchen and grabbed the milk from the fridge and a glass from the cupboard above the sink.  He took them back to the table in the dining room.

*Ding Dong*

"I wonder who that is." Micha thought aloud as she headed towards the door and Key started to poor himself some milk.  "Jonghyun you made it!"  Key looked up and instantly forgot what he was doing.  Standing in the door was the most beautiful guy that he had ever seen. He had dark, bronzed skin and his short-sleeved shirt did little to hide his rippling muscles. His chocolate brown hair was perfectly tousled and his features were somehow strong and delicate at the same time. His eyes curved into cute cresents with his smile. Key's mouth hung slighty open as he stared at Jonghyun. I want to have his adopted children.

Jonghyun's smile faded as he noticed the guy at the table behind Micha. His face was so familiar. Jonghyun's thoughts carried him back to middle school. 

He was in a science class talking to Kim Kibum, when suddenly they noticed that the class had gone quiet and the teacher was looking at the two of them.

"Is there something you boys would like to share with the class?" she had asked with a stern tone. 

"No ma'am" Kibum had replied. 

"Then how about answering my question." 

"We measure force with Newtons?" His answer was a question because he didn't know what the teacher had asked.  Suprise flashed across her face. 

"That is correct."  Once she continued the class Jonghyun turned to Kibum. 

"How did you know that?"

"It was a good guess.  I just knew that we were talking about force today." 

"Wow, you always have the answer when they do that.  From now on, I am going to call you Key."  Suddenly the memmory changed.  He was still in middle school, but it was a year later.  Now he was sitting in the lunch room with all of his friends.  Key had just told them that he liked Yongguk. 

"Eww. Are you a Key?" everyone at the table started teasing Key in this manor and, not wanting to be self, Jonghyun halfheartedly joined in the teasing. And when the teasing became more hostile, he just kept quiet. Key didn't show up in any of his classes after that and at the end of the day, Jonghyun saw him crying. He went over and put a hand on his shoulder nervously. 

"K-Key? Hey don't cry. I'm sorry for earlier, I should have-"

"Sorry?! You're supposed to be my best friend! You should have stuck up for me!" Key pushed Jonghyun's arm away, distraught.

"I know, I-I..." Jonghyun stopped short when he noticed and angry bruise forming around Key's left eye.

"Oh save it!" Key said, starting to sob again as he ran off. Key wasn't in school all week and by the next week, word had spread that he had transfered schools.  Jonghyun had never seen Key again.   

Now he looked at the grown young man before him. His mouth hung open and the glass of milk he was pouring had started to overflow.  Oh no. He remembers. How can I apologize?

"Yah, you can always refill the glass later if you are still thirsty." Micha said. She had been glancing from one of her new friends to the other, with a look of confusion.

Key snapped out of it and began to clean up the mess.  "Oh, I'm sorry Micha, I just..."  He looked up at Jonghyun as he trailed off.

"Um, Key..." Jonghyun didn't know what to say.  He wanted to take back all of the pain that he had helped cause and get his best friend back.

"Do you two know each other?" Micha interjected.  A confused, thoughtful look crossed Key's face.

"I don't think so." Key stretched a hand out towards Jonghyun. "Annyonghasaeyo." Jonghyun saw a familiar smile spread across Key's face. His lips curled up cutely and the sight struck Jonghyun as being very pretty. Has Key always been this pretty? Wait, why are you thinking that? Focus. He quickly cleared his mind of the thought, trying to keep his expression normal. He took Key's hand in his own. His skin was impossibly soft. How does a guy's skin even get this soft? Jonghyun thought. He felt Key start to pull his hand back and instinctivly he tighted his grip.  He saw Key blush. WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!? Quick, say something!

"Nice to meet you." Jonghyun said. Key said the same and Jonghyun let his hand go this time. Key avoided Jonghyun's intense look and glanced away shyly. Is it possible that he really dosen't remember..? Jonghyun thought, studying him and trying to see any signs of recognition on his face.

"Annyonghasaeyo!" an unfamiliar voice sang from behind him, making him jump.

"Oh Taemin!" Micha smiled. 

"Noona! Happy Birthday!" Taemin smiled not only because he was happy to see his new friend but also because he could see that he had just diffused an awkward situation.

"Aha, yeah happy birthday from me too." Jonghyun added, realizing that he had been too distracted by Key to say it earlier.

"Taemin, this is Jonghyun and Key" Micha pointed to them respectively and the three of them bowed to each other.

"Can I get you guys something to drink?" Key offered. 

"I'll take some milk." Taemin said. Key nodded and looked at Jonghyun expectantly.

"Uh, me too." Jonghyun replied after an unusually long pause. Taemin took notice of his awkward behavior, and decided that something was going on between these two and that he would find out what. 

"Taemin, Jonghyun is also in the music department. He's a vocal major." Micha prompted.

"Oh, maybe I'll see you around, hyung. I dance, but I like singing too." Taemin smiled sweetly. 

"And Key is in the art department.  He made all of the decorations and decorated the cake himself."

"I was just about to ask about that. They are very pretty hyung, you must have gotten in on an art scholarship." Taemin said.

"Full ride, actually." Key replied quietly. Taemin quickly caught Key's blush as he spoke, and turned to see Jonghyun's reaction. He watched as Jonghyun's expression changed from one of amazement to realization and a smile spread across his face, as if he were remembering something pleasant. 

*Ding Dong*

 

"This must be Jinki" Micha said, pulling the door open. "Jinki Oppa!" She pulled him inside.  This is Taemin, Jonghyun, and Key. They exchanged hellos and Key handed milk to Jonghyun and Taemin.

"Can I get you something to drink, Jinki-ssi?"

"Milk would be fine, no need to be so formal Key-yah"

"Here you are." Key smiled at him.

"Ok" Micha said, "Minho is still at soccer practice so, everyone is here that should be here now. "

"Great!" Key exclaimed, clapping his hands together. "Let's head into the living room.  I thought we could start with some games, like push hands. It is the game where two people stand facing each other and try to knock each other off balance, you know."

They played kai bai bo to determine the order. In the first match, Taemin held very still while Micha swatted away at his hands. Then when she went to attack again, he lined his hands up with hers and gave a small shove. She stumbeled back laughing.

"That was fun noona, but you have no strategy." he shook his head and smiled at her.  Then Key and Jinki lined up.  Taemin watched as Jinki  tried to copy his strategy but Key was smarter than that.  When Key pressed his hands to Jinki's, he didn't apply any pressure and Jinki became confused.  Just as Jinki threw his weight forward, Key removed his hands and leaned to the side.  Jinki fell over Keys leg and knocked Key down too.  They both laughed and helped each other up.

Up next was Taemin verses Jonghyun.  Taemin wanted to see what would happen if it came down to Jonghyun and Key together.  He was suspicous of their relationship, so he threw the match by using the same method again.  Jonghyun picked up on it quickly and won.  Then Key and Jonghyun lined up.  Taemin could see Key blushing. The atmosphere seemed to change.

Jonghyun was suddenly very nervous.  Why on earth did you think that winning would be a good idea? Is this the reality that you wanted? He looked Key in the eye, which proved to be a bad idea because he only noticed that Key's eyes were a very pretty shade of brown. Stop it! Stop it! If ever you needed to focus, it would be now! Suddenly Key threw his weight forward, expecting to hit Jonhyun's hands and send Jonghyun falling backwards. But Jonghyun pulled his hands out of the way.  Key, loosing balance, raised himself up on his tippy toes and grabbed onto Jonghyun's sholders to keep from falling.  They stayed like that for a minute, their faces only centimeters apart. Against his better judgement, Jonghyun looked into Key's eyes again. So pretty... Key cleared his throat and stood normally again.  Jonghyun put his hands up and Key copied.  They just stood staring at each other for a few seconds.  He is so cute when he blushes... No Stop! Focus! Jonghyun pushed Key, who was too distracted by Jonghyun's unwavering gaze and fell to the ground. Jonghyun held out a hand to help him up. "Good match." he said. Suddenly back to his senses, Key smiled.

"Yeah." he replied and let Jonghyun hoist him up. Then Taemin, obviously very excited now, came bouncing over.

"That was fun Key hyung, what's next?"

Key smiled, grateful to Taemin for changing the subject. "Luck-Fire-Luck."  The maknae stopped bouncing.

"What's that?"

Key went and sat on the floor by the coffee table.  On the table sat a turn table.  Five lettuce wraps sat on top of that.  "All of the lettuce wraps have rice in them, one also has some wasabi.  We pick at random and we eat them at the same time.  If you eat the spicy one, and you can't keep a straight face then you lose. Everyone else will try to find out who it is. Since I made them, I will close my eyes and you guys spin the turn table so that I dont know which is which."  After they did this Micha picked first because it was her birthday, then the rest of them each took one.  "On the count of-

*Ding Dong*

"That must be Minho!" Micha jumped up and excitedly ran for the door. Jinki watched her go, noticing how she stopped to look in the mirror on the wall and fix her hair before opening the door. 

"Minho Oppa! Please come in! She grabbed his wrist and pulled him toward the living room.  She dosen't like him, does she? Jinki wondered.

"This is Key, Taemin, Jonghyun, and Jinki."  She pointed them out in the order that they sat around the table. They exchanged hellos. Taemin just looked at the others as they were introuduced. Jinki had a slightly disturbed look on his face. He saw that Minho also noticed this, with a look of confusion.  Could something be going on there too?  What is with these people? I thought they didn't know each other...

"Hello, Minho-yah. We were just starting a round of luck-fire-luck.  You can join if you like." Key offered.

"That's ok. Thank you though." he replied. Jonghyun watched Key flash his cute smile at Minho. He noticed a minute later that he was uncomfortably hot and his hands had clenched into fists. He tried to relax. What is wrong with me today? I must be catching a cold or something...

"Ok on the count of three then. Hana-dul-set!" Minho watched as all five of them stuffed a lettuce wrap in their mouths. They chewed slowly and at first it seemed like no one had the wasabi wrap.  Just then, Taemin started to laugh and his eyes started to water.

"It burns! It burns!" he shouted as he waved his hands in front of his open mouth. The others started to laugh but Key looked concerned. 

"Swallow it quickly!" Key instructed as he ran to the table and grabbed a full glass of milk.  "Here drink this, hun." Key said soothingly. Taemin chugged the whole glass.

"Ahh, thanks." he sighed in releif. 

"How about we have cake now that eveyone is here" Key suggested. 

"Good idea, i'll get it, you guys go to the table." Micha said.

"I'll help you" Jinki followed her into the kitchen, enticed by her beautiful voice.

"Great thanks."  They walked in the kitchen and put all of the candles in the cake, then lit them.

"It's your birthday, go sit in there. I'll carry the cake." Jinki watched her go. She turned out the lights as she went. The only light eminated from the ninteen candles on the cake that Jinki now carried. He stepped out of the kitchen and the group started to sing happy birthday. Just as his luck usually went, he felt his feet betray him, with nothing to trip over but each other. He stumbled and felt the cake leave his hands.  Then he heard mass chaos break out and suddenly Minho was helping him up.

"Are you ok?" he asked. Through all the confusion, he managed to feel a pang of guilt for disliking Minho earlier.

Jonghyun had watched as Jinki tripped over his own two feet and the cake went flying. He saw it hit the curtian and the curtian burst into flames. "Oh no! Oh God! What do we do?! HELP! HELP! 911!!!"  Just then Key grabbed his hands and held them tightly, telling him to calm down. Only then did he realize that he had been flailing them around. 

"Taemin, Micha, fill the bucket under the sink with water and bring it in here quickly."

"What do I do?" Jonghyun's voice raised in panic.

"Breathe."  Key let go of his hands and he started to stomp on the flames. Jonghyun joined him. Then Taemin and Micha made their way over with the bucket.  The two of them struggled under its weight but Key took it from them easily and pushed Jonghyun out of the way at the same time.  Slowly, he poured the water all over the flames, extinguishing them and filling the room with even more smoke.  Jonghyun admired the way that Key had taken charge of the situation.  He watched the mucles in Key's arms as he put out the flame.  Somehow, looking at Key, Jonghyun suddenly felt safe.  Then he was hit with a wave of guilt, sad that he couldn't provide the same strength and protection for his best friend back in middle school, when he needed it most.  From now on, Kim Kibum, I will protect you.

Once the fire was out, Key looked around, "is everyone ok?" he asked sternly.  After everyone nodded Key let out a sigh of relief.  He dropped the bucket and plopped down in the nearest chair. There was a moment of silence as everyone calmed down from the shock. Then suddenly Taemin started to laugh.  Everyone joined him.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone had helped clean up and Jinki was the only one still around.  "I am really sorry that I ruined your party... you must hate me now..."

"Honestly, Jinki Oppa," he liked the way she said his name. "You didn't ruin the party.  We all had a good laugh because of it.  No one was hurt, that is what really matters.  And really, how could I hate such a cool guy like you?" She had meant to just comfort him, but as she said it, she realized how right it sounded. She really did think that Jinki was cool. I also think that he is cute and funny and-  oh god I am starting to fall for him. His huge, warm smile left her feeling slightly dazed.   

"Well, I am going to get you some new curtians at the very least."

"I'll accept that." she smiled back.