Umma, about Key...

Unlikely Family

 Key sat in a small hospital room looking down at his boyfriend. He held onto his hand and ran his other hand through Jonghyun’s hair. He was careful not to disturb the bandages on the side of his forehead, which covered the stiches he had needed. Key remembered the panic that gripped him when Jonghyun was first hurt and all he could see was blood dripping down from under his bangs. The cut was not nearly as bad as Key had imagined, thankfully, but the impact was enough to knock him out. The doctor suspected that it was only a mild concussion. But then why hasn't he woken up yet?

He jumped up when there was a knock at the door. Jonghyun’s parents had arrived. Key gave a neat 90 degree bow before extending a hand to shake. “Annyonghaseyo. I am Kibum, a friend of Jonghyun’s.”

His mother pushed her way past him and took his seat next to Jonhyun’s bed. “My baby!” She cried. Jonghyun’s father took Key’s hand.

“I’m Jonghyun's father.” He smiled at Key. “Thank you for making sure he made it to the hospital. You know, you look really tired. Why don’t you go home and get some rest now? We will stay here with him.” Key gave the man a weak smile.

“Thank you. It was nice to meet you.” He grabbed his coat and gave another bow before heading out of the room. He rode the elevator down to the first floor and walked through the waiting room and out the front door. He stood there on the sidewalk for a minute, staring into space, then spun around and headed back up to the room.

He knocked lightly on the door. Jonghyun’s dad greeted him. “Kibum. Have you forgotten something?”

“Uh, no.” Key smiled. “I just cant go. I feel somewhat responsible. If it weren’t for him, I’d have been the one laying in the hospital. I… I just can't go…”

“Well that’s fine, son. Take a seat.” Key bowed again before sitting down.

“Thank you very much.”

Key was sitting in the hospital room chatting with Jonghyun’s mother when Jonghyun started to stir. His mother jumped up and ran to the side of the bed. Although Key was very anxious, he stayed back hoping to seem less suspicious. He knew that he was Jonghyun's first boyfriend and guessed that he hadn't told his parents that he was dating a boy yet. Jonghyun mumbled something incomprehensible a few times then it became clear that he was whispering 'Key'. His mother turned around and grabbed Key’s wrist and pulled him up to the bed beside her. "He's saying your name! Come closer."

“Jonghyun, I’m here.” Key said, trying to sound soothing. His eyes cracked open and his had found Key's arm. “So are your parents.” Key told him half reassuring him and half warning him to keep his mouth shut and his hands to himself. If his parents found out about their relationship on accident, their reaction might not be pretty. Key knew full well what it was like to have parents who didn’t understand.

“Key...” The boy whispered. “You owe me big time.” he said with a weak smile. Key laughed, happy to see he was well enough to be making jokes. He had never really stopped worrying that Jjong was seriously hurt and might be in a coma or something. Key had to resist the urge to hug and kiss him in celebration. His mother did not resist that urge, however, throwing herself onto his chest and hugging him tightly. His eyes bugged out and he patted her on the back sheepishly. 

A nurse and a doctor came in to check on him and said that he was going to be fine but they wanted to keep him for a couple nights just to be safe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Key, you look like crap.”

“Gee thanks.” Key laughed at the comment.

“Why don’t you go home and get some sleep? I'm going to be fine.”

“Yeah, ok.” Key said. “See you later, yeob- ahem" Key coughed and started over, "… uh… yo-your bags. They are at my house. I’ll give them to you tomorrow. Annyong.” Key rushed out of the room and to the elevator. As soon as the door closed he face palmed. “Kibum, what the hell is wrong with you?!? What a habit to have…”

As soon as Key left Jonghyun’s dad turned to his wife. “Yeobo. I’m hungry. Could you go get us some food?”

“Sure, sure.” She got up and left.

“Ok, boy.” Jonghyun’s dad began. “What is up with you and that Key guy?”

“Wh-what do you mean?” Jjong avoided his father's gaze.

“Son, I’m not dumb.  I saw the way you looked at each other. He stayed here for hours watching you and refused to leave. When we first got here he was playing with your hair."

“Oh, well… I uh…you see, he's just...”

“You have got to stop that stuttering thing, son. Just tell me, is he your boyfriend?”

"...what if he is?" Jjong mumbled.

"Well, I want you to do whatever makes you happy, Jonghyun." his dad said with a small smile. Jjong's mouth fell open and he stared incredulously. He had never expected such an accepting reaction.

"Don't be so shocked. I thought you might be gay. I was prepared for this." his dad said. Jjong continued to look flabergasted. 

"Well, they say it can run in the family. Haven't you ever noticed? About your uncle?"

"Uncle Jinwoon?!" Jonghyun asked in disbelief.

"Yes, I am certain that he is gay, although he has never admitted it. Luckily, your aunt is a wonderful woman and they have a nice life together. But they will never truly be in love. It saddens me to think that he will never be with someone he loves. I want more for you, son. Even though your mother can be a bit hysterical, I love her with all my heart. If that's how you feel about Key, why should I object?" His dad explained. Jonghyun took a while to register everything he had just said. Then he sat up to give his dad a hug.

"Omo. I would have been happy if you just didn't disown me. But this...thanks, dad." his father returned the hug. Jjong pulled away and looked down at his hands.

“Well, since you're so alright with it...will you tell mom for me?” he looked up with wide eyes and a pout, attempting aegyo. His dad laughed.

“Oh, no! You get to do that on your own. But I will be here when you do and I will back you up. I think you should tell her right when she gets back.”

“WHAT?!?! I haven’t had any time to prepare for this.”

“I think that is best. Plus look at the bright side. We are already in the hospital.”

“Ha ha ha that’s very funny dad.”

Just then Jonghyun’s mom came back into the room.

“Umma…” He whined.

“Whats wrong?” she began to fuss over him and fluff his pillow. “Are you hungry? Uncomfortable? Do you need me to take you to the bathroom?”

“What? NO!”

“Well then what is it?”

“I just… um… I uh…”

It’s going to be better if you just say it, son.” His dad said. His mom looked to her husband questioningly, then back at her son.

“Ok, you know Key?” Jjong said with a big sigh. 

“Kibum? Oh yes, he is such a sweet boy. I love him."

“Well, I do too... He's my boyfriend...” Jonghyun got quieter and shied away from her expression as he spoke.

His mother merely blinked. "Excuse me?"

"Key is my boyfriend." he repeated. Her expression slowly turned sour.

"Do you mean to tell me.. that my only son is a ?" she said menicingly, her voice low and dangerous. 

"Hyojin!" his father said warningly.

"Don't you Hyojin me! I will not have this! No! You know, I put up with a lot of your crap, Jonghyun, but this is too much. We let you chase after your stupid dream of being a famous singer instead of getting a real job. So here I am worrying that you won't be able to support your wife and kids. But now, you think you're not going to have a wife and kids! Do you realize that you will look like a freak? I will not have you ruining the family! How dare you do this to us?!" her voice rose to a yell.

"It's not like I have a choice!" Jonghyun tried to defend himself.

"Oh yes you have a choice. And I will decide for you right now. You are going to stop messing around with that little fa-"

"YAH!" Jonghyun yelled over her, anger now overpowering his fear, "don't you dare call Kibum that nasty name!" 

She looked completely taken aback. However, she continued to yell at him after she regained her composure. Jjong's father decided it had gone too far, especially because the people outside the room had begun to stare. He half dragged his wife out of the room and tried to calm her down. Jjong watched them bicker through the large window in the room. Eventually, she stormed off and his father came back in the room.

"We're going home for the night. I can try to talk some sense into her at home. Will you be alright?" he asked. Jjong nodded.

"Thanks, appa." he said quietly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Key had come to the hospital the next morning after Jonghyun called and said his parents left. He told Key everything that had happened, even the things that his mother had yelled at him. 

"Do you think my life will turn out as awful as my mom thinks it will?" Jjong asked, looking down. Key lifted his chin.

"Yeobo, that's ridiculous. Of course not. Just think about what your dad said. Don't you want to be with someone you love and do what you love to do? Even if you don't make much money that way, you will be so much happier. And anyway, you are in a very nice program at the college and I am sure someone will find you and be blown away by your beautiful voice." Key smiled as he fussed with Jjong's pillows. Jjong stopped him by taking both of his hands. 

"You really think my voice is beautiful?" 

"It's only my favorite sound in the world. But I may be a little biased..." Key smiled. Jonghyun pulled him a little closer and began to sing to him softly. Key closed his eyes and leaned his head on Jjong's chest, letting the sound soothe him.

"사랑해요 그대만을 저 하늘만큼...."  

They were interrupted by someone clearing their throat. Key quickly sat up and looked around to see Jonghyun's father standing in the doorway with a huge smile on his face. Key turned bright pink and let go of Jjong's hands.

“I'm sorry Key, but I'm going to have to ask you to leave. Mrs. Kim is on her way up right now and she needs to speak with Jonghyun."

“Annyong.” Key said to Jonghyun, standing up to leave.

“Bye yeobo,” Jjong smiled. Key bowed to Jonghyun’s father and disappeared seconds before his mother appeared in the door way.

His mom acted as she normally did. After about fifteen minutes of talking about school and the first part of his vacation, Jonghyun dared to bring up the topic. “Umma, about Key…”

“Yes, well..." she sighed, "Son, I love you. You might do some foolish things, but you are my baby and Key is a nice boy… and you're an adult, you can make your own decisions. I suppose I can't stop you.” she said haughtily. There was a silence while Jjong stared at her and she looked away with her arms crossed. Then Jonghyun got out of his hospital bed and wrapped his arms around her. She looked confuzed for a second, but couldn't help a soft smile forming on her lips.

“Thank you umma.” He whispered. 

“There will, however, be some rules! He can come to the house, but not for big family gatherings. And you can't be roomates at college. And absolutely no public displays of affection! And don't..."

Jonghyun just nodded and agreed to anything she said, happy for any form of acceptance from her. He didn't really plan on following her rules for very long anyway...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Oh come on, Tae.” Micha begged. They were sitting on the bed in Minho and Chohee’s hotel room.  Minho was in the kitchenette finishing up dinner for the six of them, chuckling as they continued to pester Taemin as they had been since lunch on Monday. 

“Yes Please tell us how you two met!” Chohee joined in.

“We really should know more about you, ya know…” Jinki said thoughtfully.  “You seem to somehow know every thing about us, but we know prettymuch nothing about you.” He looked at Taemin with a confused expression.

“Yeobo.” Junhyung whispered and kissed Taemin’s cheek.  “I think you should tell them.  But start from the beginning.  Otherwise, it won’t make much sense.”

“Oh all right!” Taemin finally gave in as Minho brought a tray of food over to them and joined them on the bed.  “Well the first thing you should all know is that I am actually 16 years old...” 

They listened in awe and gasped along the way as he spent the next two hours telling them everything: why he knew everything about them, why he was in college so early, and why he had a strained relationship with his parents, to this day. Taemin had gotten through his life story up until when he was 12 and started talking about the bookstore where Junhyung used to work. He smiled and glanced toward his boyfriend. Junhyung took over. 

“The first time he came in, he was really upset about something and started to cry, so I comforted him. He just looked so precious and sad; I had to hug him... After that, he began to come in every day. We would just talk about anything and everything. I fell for him right away.”  He squeezed Taemin’s side and he let out a small yelp.  “I could tell when he realized that he liked me too.  It was really cute.”  Junhyung laughed.  “There was a day where he was suddenly all nervous and he acted really weird. Then the next day he came in and headed for the back of the bookstore and motioned for me to follow.  I got back there and he shoved me against the wall and-“

“Yah!” Taemin cut him off.  “They don’t need to hear about that.” He said shooting a nervous glance at Minho.  All the others followed his gaze. 

After a few seconds of receiving awkward stares from his friends, Minho gave an exaggerated sigh. “Oh, go on then!” He smiled.  “I'd hate to stop your story.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Micha woke to the sunlight shining through the window. She looked at the clock on the table beside the bed in her hotel room.  It said 11:48. “Oh god,” she mumbled. “Jinki, why did you let me sleep so long?” she asked rolling over. She found the other half of the bed to be empty. On the pillow, however, was a note.

 Hey Yeobo, I knew you would sleep late. I already told the others that we wouldn’t be with them today. I have a big day planned for the two of us, so go ahead and get yourself ready then head for the kitchen. 

Micha climbed out of bed, showered and got dressed before going into the kitchen. Jinki was not there, but there was a note on the counter. She picked it up and read it.

Are you thirsty?

Just then, Jinki walked in wrapped his arms around Micha’s waist from behind and kissed her cheek before whispering in her ear. “I heard that home made chocolate milk is your favorite.” He let go of her and spun around to the fridge.  He pulled out a gallon of milk and a bottle of chocolate syrup and set them on the counter next to the spoons and glasses he already had out. She smiled at him and took one of the glasses.  He poured milk into her glass and his own while she grabbed the chocolate syrup.  Jinki moved to stand behind her again. “Let me help you with that.” He said taking her hands with the chocolate syrup in his own.  He squeezed the bottle over her glass and then flicked it toward her shirt. She jumped and let out a small squeal.  “Oh, I’m sorry.” He laughed. “Did I get some on you?”

She dipped her hand in the milk glass and flicked the milk in his face, giggling. 

“Oh so that’s how it’s gonna be?” he asked grabbing for the chocolate syrup bottle.  Micha beat him to it and squirted chocolate syrup all over him while he ran around the counter in an attempt to get away. Then he grabbed the sprayer from the sink and aimed it at her.

“Ohh, no! You wouldn't."

"I would.” He threatened with a chuckle. Micha looked around for something to defend herself. She grabbed a glass of milk. “Two can play at that game.”  She threw all of its contents toward him and he was drenched in milk.

“Chincha?” He asked, his mouth hanging open in disbelief as he wiped milk off his face. 

“You're right.” Micha gave a smirk. “I do love chocolate milk.” She moved around the counter and started to squeeze the chocolate syrup all over his head. This time, he really did spray her with the sink nozzle. After a few minutes of squeals and laughs, Micha ran out of chocolate syrup and began to play fight with Jinki over the nozzle, when suddenly Jinki slipped in a puddle of syrup. He fell to the ground pulling Micha down on top of him, laughing the whole way. She kissed him. "I think I need another shower” she whispered.

“Me too.” Jinki smiled at her. “Let me go first.  I have something else to get ready while you take your shower.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

About 30 minutes later, Micha was syrup-free and dressed. She went back into the kitchen to find it all cleaned up with another note on the counter.

They want to see you at the front desk in the lobby.

Although confused, Micha got on an elevator and headed to the front desk. She was met by a smiling woman. “Here you are Micha.” She said handing her a set of keys.  “Just head right out the front door there.”

"O- ok thank you.” Micha said giving a slight bow and heading out the door.  Once she got outside she saw Jinki standing next to two mopeds.  When he saw her he smiled and tossed her a helmet.

“Follow me.” He said as he climbed onto his moped.  They rode for about fifteen minutes, leaving the big city and heading into the heart of a small town. They parked their mopeds.  Micha pulled off her helmet and set it on the seat.

“What’s here?” She asked Jinki. He smiled and pointed across the street.  She turned around to see a Mexicana Chicken.  Written in pretty clagriphy on the windows was “Welcome Micha!”  She laughed. "Ha ha, ohh Jinki. This is so cute." 

Jinki took her hand and led her across the street and inside the building.  He ignored the 'please wait to be seated' sign and took a seat at a table for two that was already set. As soon as they sat down a waitress brought out two heaping platefuls of chicken. Jinki began to stuff his face right away, but after a few seconds he noticed that Micha was just staring from the plate back to him.  He put down the wing he was working on.

“Is something wrong?” He asked, brows furrowed with worry. 

“No, no. It's all perfect! I just… what’s going on here Jinki?” 

He smiled at her and relief spread across his face.  “I just figured since we are on vacation we could spend the day having fun together.  I wanted to do something romantic for you. I love you.”  She smiled back at him and lunch carried out normally.  They talked and laughed as they usually did.  When Micha finished eating she looked down at her plate. The plate itself was another note.  It said

Your chariot awaits.

Jinki held out a hand and she took it. He led her out side where a limo sat by the sidewalk.  In the window was another message that simply said

~MICHA <3

With a little heart.  Jinki opened the door and bowed, “My lady.”

Micha giggled and climbed inside. "Why thank you, kind sir."

 When the car stopped, Micha made to get out but Jinki reached across her lap and grabbed the door.  “Wait.” He whispered.  She became aware of how close he was and closed the small space between them with a gentle kiss.  He broke it. “You have to put this on.” He said pulling a blindfold from his jacket pocket.  He put it over her eyes and tied it behind her head. 

“Why?”

“Because I want you to be surprised. Can you see anything?”

“No.” she smiled, becoming excited.

“Ok, slide out this way. Watch your step. Careful.”

“Which way are we- EEE”  Micha let out a squeak when Jinki picked her up.

“I got ya. Don’t worry.” He whispered to her. After a minute of walking he set her down.  “Ok have a seat here.” He said still guiding her. “Ready?”

“Yes!” He untied the blindfold and Micha gasped in amazement.  She sat at a table set for two. The table was on top of a little bridge lined with candles, going over a pond. Floating all over the water below them were water lilies and lily pads. The branches of a big, beautiful cherry blossom tree billowed out toward the table. Jinki took the seat across from her. He snapped his fingers and Micha turned to see a string quartet start playing a romantic melody behind her. He snapped again and a waiter carried a tray up on to the bridge.  It had two plates of patbingsu. He set them down and walked back off the bridge. 

"Omo... You shouldn't have." Micha said, looking around in awe.

"Do you like it?"

"Of course I do. It's beautiful." she smiled and took his hand across the table. 

After talking and finishing their dessert, Jinki gestured toward the small bouquet of flowers on the table. In it was another note.  

I bet by now you are feeling really confused as to what the point of all this was. Just know that I love you and you don’t have to wonder any longer. Look up.

When Micha put down the note, Jinki was not in his chair but was on one knee on the ground beside her.  He held a little black box and when she looked at him he opened it to reveal the most beautiful ring she had ever seen.  “Micha, saranghaeyo. Will you marry me?”

“OMO! Jinki. Saranghae. I want to more than anything in the whole world… but don’t you think that this is a bit… soon? I mean we are both still in school and...“

Jinki just smiled. “Micha, do you remember what I told you about my family?”

“Yes.”

“Well that experience made me realize that you have to take life as it comes. That there may never be a second chance for something because you never know what will happen, and right now my heart is telling me to tie myself to you in every way that I possibly can. Because I don’t ever want to lose you. You make me happier than I have ever been before. You mean more to me than everything else in the whole world. And I know that that will never change. So why should I wait? I want you by my side forever. I want you to be mine.”

Micha slid off her chair and landed on her knees next to him.  She placed her hands on his cheeks.  “I’m yours.” She whispered before leaning in for a kiss.  “I will marry you." Jinki wrapped his arms around her and gave her another kiss. Then he helped her up and slid the ring on her finger. 

"hmm… don’t you think you could have gotten a bigger diamond?” she joked.

Jinki laughed with her. "You are going to have to talk to Key about that. He said you would like this one."

“Its perfect.” She whispered

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Do you want me to take you to the bench?”  Minho asked with a yawn. They had just gotten back from the vacation.

“No, I guess not.” Chohee sighed. “I’ve gone all week without being there. I guess I can wait one more day. Go home and get some rest. I’ll see you in the morning.”

“I love you.” Minho said. He gave her a kiss before heading out the door. After a few minutes, Chohee peeked her head out the door to make sure Minho had gone. She had changed her mind. She was tired, but she couldn't shake the feeling that she needed to be at the bench tonight of all nights. She drove to town and found a parking spot before walking to the bench in front of the shop and plopping down. She watched as the lights flicked off on every building on the block, one at a time over the course of about an hour.  One of the last ones to close was the shop behind her. She heard the shopkeeper step out side whisteling and fiddling with his keys. He began to walk away but he stopped short.

“Oh, you're back?”

“Yeah…” she sighed.

“I am really sorry, I don’t mean to be rude but…” the shopkeeper hesitated. “But what exactly is it that the four of you are looking for?”

“Im sorry? What do you mean?”

“Well, its just that, every night until last week you and that boy would come here and just sit on the bench and stare at that sushi place. And every day an older couple that looks just like you comes and sits there and does the same-“

“What?!?” The shopkeeper jumped back when Chohee yelled. “This couple, do they look old enough to be my parents?"

"Yeah...they are probably right around that age. Why?" 

"What time do they come!?” She jumped to her feet and moved toward him. He took a step back in surprise.

“Um… they are always here at 8. They stay until about 4.” he said. Chohee let out a squeal of joy. She took the shopkeeper's face in her hands and gave him a smooch on each cheek. 

“Thank you! Thank you so much!” she yelled. And with that, she turned and ran off, leaving the shopkeeper standing there utterly bemused. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Jinki woke to a knock on the door to his dorm room. He sighed and rolled out of bed. The knock turned into a pound and he heard Chohee begin to yell at him as he walked to the door. “I’m coming, I’m coming.” He said, not loud enough for her to hear over her own pounding and yelling.  “What do you want? Don’t you own a watch? It’s like 7am.” He complained as he pulled open the door.

“Get dressed.” She said pushing her way into his dorm room. “Quickly, but put on something nice.”

“But, why? I have to-"

“No, no excuses. This is more important!” She pushed him into his bedroom.  “Get dressed now.”  He followed her orders sluggishly and got in her car.  She drove them to the bench. 

“What are we doing here?” he asked as he got out of the car and followed his younger sister. 

She sat on the bench.  “Just sit here with me oppa.” She said patting the spot next to her.  “It will make sense soon.” 

“But… aish…”  She shot him a puppy dog look and he shut up and sat next to her.  They both watched the sushi place and Jinki noticed Chohee look around and check her watch. After a few minutes someone cleared their throat next to Jinki.

“Excuse me,” came a sweet familiar voice. “But we usually sit there.”

Jinki and Chohee both looked up at the woman.  A smile spread across Chohee’s face, Jinki’s was filled with shock, his eyes opened wide and he began to stutter. “Umm..umma…appa?”

“Told you it was worth coming.” Chohee whispered before standing up and facing her parents who could only stare at them open mouthed.

“Umma? Appa? Do you recognize us?” Chohee asked.  “It’s me Chohee and Jinki…”  Her mother took a step toward her. She reached out a hand to touch Chohee’s face, but stopped and began to pull it back. Before she could, Chohee grabbed her hand and placed it on her own cheek.  “It’s ok umma.” 

“Is… is it really you?” their mother’s face scrunched up as she fought back tears.

“I knew you’d never give up hope!” Chohee sang. Their mother let out a sob as she pulled Chohee into a tight hug.

“Oh dear lord…” Their appa said taking a seat next to Jinki and taking a good look at him. Jinki stared back in disbelief. “Son… I am sorry that I couldn’t protect you.” A tear escaped the man’s eye and ran down his cheek. Jinki threw his arms around him. “It’s okay appa.”

“Yeah, appa. Jinki protected me the whole time.” Chohee added. As she pulled back from the hug, their mother looked at Jinki for the first time. She went over and put her hands on either side of his face. Tears were still streaming down her face.

“My baby…” she said as Jinki stood up to hug her.

“Both of my babies. You’re alive. You’re here. Oh, thank you lord…” she cried into Jinki’s shoulder. Chohee went and sat next to her appa on the bench. She took his big hand in her own and began to trace the lines on it the way she used to when she was really little. Tears began to run down his cheeks as well.

“Oh… but they’re not babies anymore. It’s been so long. Where have you been? What happened?” their father asked.   

“It is a long story appa,” Chohee said quietly.  “We have a lot of catching up to do…”

“Why don’t we go to the sushi place there and have lunch?” Jinki suggested. 

“Sounds like a good idea!” Chohee said cheerfully. She jumped to her feet and pulled her dad off the bench.

As they went, the shopkeeper, who had witnessed the whole scene, sniffled and pulled out a handkerchief.   

“So beautiful…”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Key and Jonghyun arrived at their usual secluded table for their Friday night dinner to find everyone but Taemin and Junhyung already there. Micha gasped as they sat down, noticing the bandage still wrapped around Jonghyun’s head.  “Jonghyun, what happened?” Her worried expression shifted to a smile as she added, “Did Key get a little too frisky?”

“Micha!” Key kicked her under the table and shot a nervous glance at Minho who seemed to be laughing.  “No! A big wooden sign fell on him at the amusement park, so we were at the hospital. Why would you ask if I was too frisky?”

“Well, Taemin told us…”

“Oh, don't blame your dirty mind on my baby!”

“No it’s true! Taemin said you left early to have alone time. I don’t think he’s the innocent little baby you imagine him to be.” Minho interjected.  “Did you know that he is dating his roommate?”

Key laughed nervously. “You’re kidding right?”

“Actually, he’s not.”  Key heard the sweet voice come from behind and turned to see his baby standing there holding hands with a rather intimidating looking boy. Key’s mouth fell open.

“Jonghyun, umma, this is Junhyung, my boyfriend.” The small boy slipped his arm around the waist of the bigger boy. Jonghyun said hello but Key just eyed Junhyung suspiciously as they both took a seat.

"Well, Junhyung-ssi, what makes you think you deserve my baby?" Key said crossing his arms and raising his eyebrows.

"Umma! Be nice!" Taemin whined.

"Actually I'm not sure that I do deserve him" Junhyung answered Key's question earnestly, "he is extraordinary in so many ways. I am lucky that all he expects from me is some affection and the occasional gourmet meal. And don't worry, umma. I would never dream of hurting him." he said with a small smile. At this, Key seemed pleasantly surprised and his stern expression faded. He quickly regained it, however.

"Hmph. You seem...quite nice. I suppose I'll allow you to continue to date. But I'm watching you." Key said, completely serious. Taemin rolled his eyes and the rest of the table tried to hide their giggles at Key's continued act as Taemin's mother. Junhyung humored him and said a polite thank you and bowed.

"He is actually really sweet, Key." Micha said. "Yah, Taemin! You should tell Key and Jonghyun the story of how you met!"  

"Ohhh, no. I already told my whole life story!" Taemin complained. 

"Oh, fine then. I'll tell you later Key, it's so cute." Micha said.

“Hey, did we mention Taemin’s a super genius?!” Jinki interjected. 

“Really? Omo, I always thought there was something different about him!” Jonghyun said “Taemin what is the square root of 781.2?”

“What do I look like, a calculator?” the boy smiled at him “…it is about 27.95 if you must know.”  Jonghyun pulled out his cell phone and did the math on his calculator before turning his shocked expression on Taemin.

“Yah, Taemin…” Jonghyun said with a mischievous grin on his face.

“I will not write your papers for you Jonghyun.” Taemin smiled.

“But-but it would only take you like… five minutes!”

“Trust me, man.” Junhyung said putting a hand on Jonghyun’s shoulder. “You don't want him to help you with your homework. He'll just lecture you and go on and on for hours…” he explained, rolling his eyes and smirking. Taemin hit him on the arm.

“Well anyways,” Taemin said “We wanted to invite you all to our house for the next Friday night dinner.”

“That sounds great, Tae.” Chohee smiled at him and the rest of the table murmured in agreement. “I've got to tell you all something, I just can't wait anymore. Jinki and I have great news, we found our parents!”

This statement was met with a chorus of “WHAT?!" and "OH MY GOD!!" from everyone at the table. 

"Omo, after all these years! That’s wonderful, Chohee!” Key said, “How did you guys find them, and where?”

“Well you know the bench Minho and I were going to every night? Our parents were going there every day, hoping we would somehow show up! And we did! I ended up talking to the shopkeeper of the store behind the bench and he mentioned something about them.”

“That’s crazy…” Jonghyun said thoughtfully. 

They talked about the exciting news through their meal and after they all got their dessert, Micha said “Wait. Before you start eating, Jinki and I have an announcement.”  She pulled the ring out of her pocket and slipped it on her finger.  “Jinki and I are engaged.”

“WHAT!?” Taemin stared at the ring in disbelief before jumping up to hug them. "Congradulations!" 

“Told you she’d say yes, Jinki!” Key said, beaming.

“Oppa, that’s amazing! I’m so happy for you!” Chohee said, getting up and hugging both of them as well.

“Congrats guys!” Jonghyun said.

Everyone else threw in their congrats too, and Key began to question Micha about the details. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey there!

Taemin's entire life-story can be found here.

And you really should read it because everything will make more sense.

And who doesn't want more Taemin?

Also, Jinki and Chohee's life-story can be found here.

There are a bunch of side-stories in there, check them out. ;)