This one girl

Unlikely Family

Jonghyun had just finished his first class of the year and was headed down to the nearest cafeteria on the campus.  He was in a good mood due to the fact that his vocal class, the one he had been most excited about, had gone very well.  As he rounded the corner to a hall filled with practice rooms, he stopped short. Coming from the nearest practice room was a very lovely voice, almost as good as his own. It was sweet but it had an edge to it, and the unique sound made Jonghyun stop and listen. He peered through the small window next to the door and saw that the voice belonged to a cute girl with long brown hair. He could see the passion she had for music written on her face while she sang. He always got excited to meet people as enthusiastic about singing and music as he was. He loved to talk about singing styles, writing lyrics, and anything to do with music. Perhaps this girl would even like some advice from him, since she appeared to be younger. He lightly knocked on the window with his knuckels.  The girl looked at him through the window, and smiling, finished the last line of the song before moving to open the door.

"Hello," her beautiful voice sang, even when there was no song.

"Hi, my name is Jonghyun.  I heard you singing from outside.  You're almost as good as I am." Jonghyun grinned. He intended to compliment her more than to brag, but the way his smug remark came out was alright with him, he decided. If there was one thing Jonghyun could brag about, it was his singing abilities. 

"Aha, I'm Micha, and I've heard about you around the music department." Micha gave a quick bow and an appraising look.

"So they've told you how good I am?" 

"No." she said flatly.

"What?"

"They said you're arrogant." she corrected. Before he had time to defend himself, however, his stomach made a particularly loud growl. The girl smiled.

"Should we go get lunch?"

Jonghyun was still trying to remember just how much he had shown off in the music department as Micha, without waiting for a reply, walked out the door.  She peaked her head back in. "Aren't you coming?" His stomach growled again and he followed her out. 

Once they were seated in the cafeteria, and she had as much food on her plate as he did, Jonghyun began to ask about this new girl.

"So you're a vocal major too?" Jonghyun asked.  She nodded and swallowed a mouthful of chicken.  "How old are you?" he shot before she could stuff another whole wing into . 

"Eighteen" she mumbled around half of the piece of meat. Jonghyun laughed. He had never seen a girl eat like a guy and it was, in a strange sort of way, kind of endearing. It was nice to see that she was being herself. 

"So you're a freshman." She nodded. "I'm 20. I'm a Junior." He offered. She grinned.

"What advice can you give me about being a vocal major, sunbaenim?" she asked. He narrowed his eyes for a moment, wondering if she really wanted his advice or if she was just humoring him. He decided he was too excited to not give the advice.

"Well, just like any other major, it's a lot of work. But if you love it, you can sort of complain about it and enjoy it at the same time. And it's all worth it when you're finally doing what you love instead of required gen-ed classes. It's worth it when you look back and realize how much you're progressing. It'll be fun, don't worry." he smiled.

"That's the thing, though. I'm not sure if it's the one thing I love the most. I have a lot of interests that I could turn into a career. And there are so many choices..." Micha said, her smile fading with a huff.

"Oh." Jonghyun started, taken aback, "well lots of freshman are undecided. At least you declared a major and you're trying something out. Maybe it will work out for you." he offered. 

"Yeah, I really do love it. I even took private lessons to prepare for the vocal program here." she said, munching. Jonghyun smiled again.

"We should sing a duet sometime, I am possitive that we would sound very good together."

"Ok." her face lit up in a sweet smile again.

"Oh, I have to get to my next class in five minutes." he said, getting up and grabbing all his stuff.

"Bye Jonghyun-ssi, It was nice to meet you!"

"Call me Oppa."

"Do well in class Oppa. Hwaiting!" 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A slim first year with dirty blonde, messy hair strolled down a hall in the fine arts building, whistling tunelessly. The expression on his face was indifferent and somewhat vacant until he heard music pounding through a nearby closed door. He stopped slowly, lips pursed with curiosity. He pushed the door open carefully, poking his head inside to see a girl alone in the room, dancing. He recognized a combination of jazz and ballet, and something else that the girl might have made up on her own. He smiled and inched his way into the room, watching intently. Wow, nuna has great moves! Maybe she will teach me...

She did not notice him, even as he slowly walked up behind her. He was practically bouncing with excitement. She did a few last fluid movements as the music faded away. Then she noticed the boy standing right behind her and jumped about a foot in the air, letting out a surprised yelp.

 “Omo! Are you trying to give me a heart attack?”

“I’m sorry Nuna, but that was so amazing! How did you learn to dance like that? Can you show me some of those moves again?” he really was bouncing with excitement now.

“Whoa there, slow down. Who are you?” she said, still recovering from the shock.

“My name is Taemin. What’s yours?”

“Micha”

“It’s nice to meet you!” he said happily, holding out a hand for her to shake. She took it, smiling at his enthusiasm.

“So, you like dancing Taemin-ssi?” she asked.

“Like it? It’s my favorite thing in the world, Nuna.” He began, a bit calmer now.

“Yah, when did I say you could call me-?” he cut her off and put one arm around her shoulders, using graceful gestures with his other arm as he talked.

“When I dance, it’s like the whole world disappears and the only thing left is the music and the feeling it gives me. Then I just move which ever way that feeling takes me. You know what I mean?” she smiled and nodded. “What’s your favorite thing to do, Nuna?” her smile grew wider.

“Sing.” She said. Then suddenly Taemin got excited and bouncy again.

“Ahh, I bet Nuna’s singing voice is wonderful like her dancing! Will you sing for me?” Micha looked from the clock to Taemin’s shining, expectant face. He was a bit forward, yes, but uncannily adorable. She ruffled his hair.

“Mianhae, Taemin-ssi. I have to go to class now.” she said. He pouted.

“Haha, don’t worry. I’ll see you some other time. Get out your phone, we’ll exchange numbers.” She added. He beamed.

“Ne, Nuna!” 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Although he had already been on the field practicing for two and a half hours, Minho continued to push himself harder. He kicked the ball and it soared through the air and into the goal. Minho took a deep breath, proud of his efforts for the day. He was excited for his first soccer practice of the year that would take place the next day. Suddenly for the first time, Minho realized that he was not alone on the practice field.  He was on his way to the goal to retrieve his ball when he spotted her. He stopped, watching with quickly increasing interest. At first he noticed her good footwork. Then he noticed how pretty she was.
 
He watched her as she worked the ball around her half of the practice field and finally went in for the goal. He retrieved his ball and jogged over to where she had just picked up hers.
 
"You like what you see?" she asked with a joking smile on her face.
 
"You have quite a tallent." Minho returned the smile.
 
"You're not too bad yourself." she managed to grin cheekily through her labored breathing.
 
Minho stretched out a hand, "Minho."
 
"Micha," she replied with a firm handshake, "are  you by chance... Choi Minho? Captian of the Boys soccer team in only your sophomore year?"
 
"So you've heard of me?"
 
"All great soccer players should know what kind of competition that they have." she half-joked. Micha found her eyes lingering on his face.  He was a handsome guy and she had heard much about his kind yet competetive personality.
 
"Is that a challange?" Minho asked, beginning to like this girl.  Although it was his second year at the university, he had not made many friends.  He spent most of his free time on the soccer field.  He felt like he belonged there.
 
"Of course it is.  How 'bout we play a quick game? The first person to score two points wins."
 
"Deal."  They shook hands and placed the ball in the center of the field.  "On the count of three, Hana, Dul, Set!"  Minho popped the ball into the air with his foot and used his head to hit it over her. Taking advantage of his long legs, he ran around her. She wasn't slow, though, and before he knew what happened she had passed him and sent the ball down the field in the opposite direction.  Minho followed, but Micha was faster than he thought.  He caught up to her just as she scored the first goal.  Oh, it's on, now!  They placed the ball in the center again.
 
"Getting worried?" Micha asked.
 
"Ha, in your dreams!"
 
"Hana, Dul, Set!"
 
Minho quickly maneuvered the ball around Micha.  He worked his legs harder than he had had to in a long time.  He could feel the muscles protesting but he could not loose.  He made the goal.  They played again.  This time it was fifteen minutes of the ball shifting sides and getting closer to each goal, then further away again.  Finally Minho scored.  "Ha, ha."  He yelled triumphantly.
 
"Well, they weren't kidding, you are good." Micha panted. 
 
"As are you, I haven't had that much of a challange in a while!"
 
"Kamsahamnida, Minho-ssi," she smiled at him.
 
"Please, call me oppa." He smiled back.
 
"Well, oppa, I have to get going for now."
 
"Ok, I'll see you around.  If you ever need to find me, I'll probably be here." Minho smiled again as he waved good bye to Micha.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Jinki stood at the counter in his favorite restaurant on campus, waiting to receive his usual order. His eyes lit up as he saw the tray piled high with golden, crispy fried chicken. He reached out to take it, but his hand was swatted by the girl waiting next to him in line.
 
“Yah! That’s my chicken!” although slightly irritated, her voice sounded sweet. Jinki did a double take, noticing her for the first time. She had a cute, round face and long, wavy chocolate brown hair. Her hazel eyes sparkled beautifully, even when they were narrowed in annoyance. Omo, she’s so pretty.
Then, her eyebrows rose in confusion.
 
“What?” she asked. Jinki realized he had been staring.

“Uh, sorry. I-it’s just that this is what I ordered: the special with extra helpings of fried chicken.” He explained.

“Really? That’s funny. We ordered the same thing.” She smiled warmly, taking the tray. Just then, a second tray with a large pile of chicken was slid across the counter. Jinki looked from his tray to the tray in her hands in slight disbelief. It must be a sign.
She giggled at the awed look on his face.

“Would you like to join me?”

“Sure!” Jinki replied and followed her to a nearby table. He was so excited to get to know this girl and see if they had more in common. As he got to the table she had picked, he stumbled and the chicken wobbled dangerously. The girl swiftly put one hand on his shoulder and one on the tray, steadying him and catching the food.

“Careful! You almost lost your food. That would’ve been so sad; the chicken here is so delicious…” she said in a sad voice. Then her bright smile returned and she let out a little laugh.
 
Oh yes. He was going to like this girl.
 
“Wow, you’re right. You just saved me from a world of misery and despair! How can I ever repay you, my dear lady?” he started to joke. Her laugh was quite charming. He decided to make this girl laugh as much as possible. 

“Well, you can start by telling me your name.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Gah!" Why kibum? Why can't you just walk up to someone and make conversation? How hard can it be for a guy to make ONE friend on a campus full of people? 

"I need a new shopping buddy..." he said aloud.
 
"Should we go right now?"

Key looked up. He had been sitting on a bench waiting for a bus to the mall with his elbows on his knees and his face in his hands. He saw a cute girl smiling at him. He smiled back.
 
"I was just about to head to the mall. Would you like to go together?" she asked.
 
"Sure, what's your name?" He was excited to finally meet someone.  He is a very talkitive person if someone talks to him first, but he had a hard time starting any conversations.  That was a part of the reason that he was starting his second year at the school with, still, no friends. 
 
"I'm Micha."
 
"My name is Kibum, but people call me Key." he reached out a hand.
 
She shook it.  "Ah, short for Kibum?"
 
"Well yes, but it's also because I'm the "key" to solving all the problems.  I usually have the answer for any question."
 
"Oh really? So, when's the bus going to get here?" she asked.

"In about two seconds." he replied. She turned to look down the street, and sure enough, the bus rounded the corner. It stopped in front of them.

He gestured for Micha to get on first, then followed and plopped down on the seat next to her.  The bus started to pull away and Key reinitiated the conversation.
 
"How old are you?"
 
"18."
 
 "Aha so your're a freshman.  I'm 19, feel free to call me Oppa.  How was your first day of college?"
 
"Better than I thought it would be.  I don't live near the school so I was worried about making new friends but I met four people other than you."
 
 "Oh, wow. You should tell me all about them!" he said, shaking his arms back and forth excitedly.   
  
 "Well the first guy I met, his name was Jonghyun, he was pretty nice. Kinda full of himself though."
 
 "Hmmm... That name sounds familiar... anyways, you were saying?"
 
  "Well, Jonghyun said he heard me singing, and he interupted my practicing, but I didn't mind. We ended up having lunch together and he's actually really nice. Then later I was practicing my dancing when all of a sudden I noticed that there was a person standing behind me.  I about wet my pants 'cause I thought I was alone.  He was cute, though.  His name is Taemin.  He called me noona with out even checking to see if I was older but he was very passionate about music.  Especially dancing."  Just then the bus stopped at the mall.  They got off and headed inside. 
 
"What store did you want to go to?" Key asked.
 
  "Well, at the mall back home, I usually go to 'Gilan Products' but if there is somepla-"
 
  "Perfect! Me too." Key linked arms with Micha and pulled her toward the store. "So you were telling me about Taemin" Key prompted.
 
   "Yes, just finished actually. Later, after my next class, I went out to the soccer field. There was only one guy out there practicing. He didn't seem to notice me, and I didn't pay much attention to him at first either. But when he came over and started talking to me, omo...  His hair was all tousled and I could see his toned arms and his voice... " she trailed off, staring into space.

"Was his name Minho?"

"Ne."

 "Oh, I know him.  He is in one of my classes. And girl, I agree- he is fiiine." Key giggled and Micha nodded in agreement.  "So what happened?"
 
 "We ended up playing a match. He won. I like how determined and passionate he seemed though..." she started staring into space again.
   
 "Ooh, someone has a crush~" Key sang, pushing her shoulder.
 
 "So anyway," Micha blushed and changed the subject, "then I went to have dinner.  I was waiting for my food and it came out but the guy next to me tried to take it.  I swatted his hand and he had this really cute confused look on his face.  We had ended up ordering the same thing.  We ate together and talked for nearly two hours before he had to go to class.  His name is Jinki.  We got along really well.  He had a good sense of humor."
 
  "Sounds like you may like Jinki too."
 
 "Hmm, I'm not sure."  By now Micha had two outfits to try on and Key had two armfulls.  They went to the dressing room and modeled them for each other.  Micha bought one shirt and Key bought two pairs of pants, four shirts, and a pair of shoes and a belt. Micha smiled to herself at the sight of him carrying so many bags, which he insisted that he could carry himself. What a dork. He reminds me so much of my friends from highschool. See, Micha. Life goes on after highschool. I think I will be just fine at this university...
 
 "Thanks for coming with me, Micha, this was really fun." Key told her as they got off the bus back at the university.
 
 "No problem. Hey, my birthday is on Friday next week.  I want  to have a birthday party.  You should come."
 
"That sounds great!"  Key smiled. "I'll see you later, then Micha-yah."
 
"Bye, Key Oppa!" She waved as they headed in opposite directions. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

Author's Note:

Annyonghasaeyo!

My fabulous donsaeng TtangJinJae and I are collaborating on our first ever fanfic! ^^

This is a first for both of us, so feedback would be greatly appreciated.

We're really excited about this story, hope you enjoy!

~krys