It's a long story

Unlikely Family

Gosh, I love all the colors of fall. Taemin was slowly hopping along with his crutches to his next class, enjoying the scenery. He always loved to hop from one dried leaf to another and hear the satisfying crunching noise. He could no longer hop, so he settled for shuffling along and stepping on the leaves with his good foot

"TAEMINNIE!" He heard Key yell excitedly from behind. He smiled at his nickname and turned in time for Key to throw his arms around him. "How are you doing? Does your leg hurt? Give me this." Key fussed and took Taemin's bookbag.

"Thanks umma." Taemin smiled. He watched Key's face closely for a moment.

"I feel like there is something that you want to talk about." he said. Key's smile faltered, but he quickly recovered it and raised his left arm to flick his wrist at Taemin.

"No big deal, hun."

Taemin hobbled over to a bench and sat down. He patted the seat next to him. "Come on, you can tell me umma."

Key's shoulders drooped and he plopped down on the bench next to Taemin, crossing his legs. Taemin watched him fidget nervously for a while. 

"Well, I... I like Jonghyun hyung..." he finally said, half-mumbling. 

How cute, he thinks that I dont know, Taemin thought.  Ok I'll play along. "Really?" he asked. Key turned to him, his nervousness becoming replaced by excitement.

"He's just so... so gorgeous! He's y but cute at the same time and he's a huge goofball, but he's really passionate about singing. And omo, his voice is like heaven!" Key exlpained, starry-eyed.

"Oh, did he sing for you?" Taemin asked.

"Well, no. I may have...stalked him in the music department, while he was practicing...he didn't know I was there. Heheh." Key scratched the back of his head. Taemin giggled.

"Wow, sounds like you got it bad umma." he said with a smile. He noticed Key's expression fall. "So, what's the problem?" he added.

"The only problem is that I dont think Jonghyun knows yet..."

Playing dumb is rather entertaining. "But umma, how would he know that you like him if you dont tell him?"

"That's not what I mean, Taeminnie..."

Oh, I know. hehehe. "But... what do you mean then?"

"I don't think he knows that he's gay."

"If he doesn't know than how do you know?"

"Well, can't you see it? Don't you think he is?" Key looked worried now. Taemin decided to stop playing dumb.

"Of course I can. I was just wondering how sure you were about this.  Just give him some time, he'll come around."

"I guess you're right... come on, let's get you to class."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later, Taemin had situated himself sitting with his broken leg resting in a chair next to him. His sigh of relief turned into a gasp when someone leaned over him.

"Taemin-ah!" Micha said, giggling.

"Aigoo! You shouldn't scare crippled people, nuna." he said, holding his chest.

"Now, we're even. But I came to give you something. I know you're sad because you can't dance right now, but you will be better soon! In the mean time, here is some ice cream." she said, carefully bringing a bowl of it out from behind her back. 

"Thanks nuna!" 

"When you get better we can have a dance off."

"Great." Taemin smiled brightly at her.  I have such great frineds!

"Now let's go! I'll take your bag." she said suddenly.

"What? Where are we going?" He was reluctant to get himself into a standing position again.

"When we first met, I promised that I would sing for you."

"Oh goodie!" He got up at once, ready to follow her. Wow, I should get injured more often...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

"Yah! Minho hyung." The tall guy turned when his name was called and smiled upon spotting Taemin.

"Hey there Taemin. Where are you headed?"

"Lunch!"

"I'll go with you. Would you like me to carry your bag?"

"I most certaintly would." They stopped walking and Taemin handed him the bag. "Thanks."

"Sure." Minho slung the bag over his shoulder.

"Hey hyung, there is something that I have been wondering about you."

"Ne?"

"How come you don't tell anyone?"

"Tell anyone what?"

"About your money" Minho stopped walking.

"H-how do you know about that?" he asked, shocked. Minho was usually good at keeping his secret. Taemin coughed and mumbled something about going through Minho's wallet.

"Anyway, why do you hide it? Showing off is rude, but why keep it a secret altogether?"

"It's a long story."

"Maybe you should start now so I have time to hear the end." Taemin said cheekily. Minho laughed and they started walking again.

"Do you know about my parents?"

"Yes, sort of, sorry about that."

Once again, Minho's eyes widened in surprise. He hadn't told anyone.

"Your knowledge scares me, kid. Anyways, When my parents died, I was forced to live with my uncle.  He was a greedy man who hated me almost as much as I hated him. He never cared about me. The only thing he could think about after my parents were gone was the fun he was going to have with their money. He bought fancy cars and clothes and showed them off to attract women. He would also go to the bar every night, get drunk, and go to the casino and waste hundreds of dollars.  It makes me embarassed to even think of money because of him... Then, when I was in school, some of the kids thought that I got special treatment because I had money, so they wouldn't be friends with me.  Others thought that if they were my friends, they would get money from me. I don't tell people, because I want them to like me for who I am."

Taemin gave him a huge, toothy smile. "I like you for who you are, hyung!"

Minho chuckled and ruffled Taemin's hair. "Thanks, Taeminnie."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Jinki. Yah! Jinki hyung!"

"Huh? Oh hey there, Taemin." Taemin found him sitting on a rock just outide the fine arts bulding.

"What's wrong hyung?" Taemin asked, noticing his downcast expression. Jinki let out a big sigh.

"I found out that Minho likes Micha too... I am almost sure she'll pick him." he let out a tired laugh. "It's like high school all over again..."

"I wouldn't give up hope just yet hyung. What makes you think she wont pick you?"

"Just look at him.  He is tall and handsome, he's going to be a doctor, he is nice to everyone, and he plays soccer like a boss." Jinki counted the wonderful things about Minho on his fingers, finishing by throwing his hands in the air and dropping them in defeat.

"Are you jealous of Minho because you want to date Micha, or are you jealous of Micha because you want to date Minho?"

Jinki laughed. "It does sound kind of like that, doesn't it? It's just that he has everything I don't."

"Well maybe Micha doesn't want what he has. Maybe she wants what you have." Taemin offered. Jinki merely shrugged and looked out at the fine arts building, thinking. After a minute of silence, he looked at Taemin for the first tmie since he sat down. "What's with you? You look like I do when I try do to a math problem."

"Can I ask you a question hyung?"

"Go for it."

"Where did you transfer from?"

Jinki hesitated and stuttered. "Ah, t-that, well, you see, when I was younger, my sister and I were taken to america."

"Taken?" Taemin asked. Jinki ignored the question.

"We had to act, in movies, to make money."

Had to?" Again Jinki ignored Taemin's question.

"That's why I got a theatre scholarship. Acting is the only thing I have known since I was twelve."

"When do I get to meet noona?" Teamin asked. Jinki smiled.

"She is still working on a movie in america.  I didn't want to leave her there, but she is staying with some friends that we made in the first movie we shot.  We have known them for several years and they are like family to us, so I know she will be safe.  As soon as she is done with the movie she is coming here."

"I have one more question hyung."

"What's that?"

"Why did you decide to come here when there are so many good schools in America, and you had already etablished a career?"

"That, my friend, is a story for another day. I've got to get to class."  Jinki said.  Taemin stayed on the rock, watching his figure disappear into the fine arts building and down the hall. Hmm...There is definitely something he is leaving out of this story. I will find out one way or another, though...  I have seen everyone but Jonghyun today. I am sure he will turn up soon...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Jonghyun hyung!"

Jonghyun quickly turned around to see Key jogging to catch up with him.  He smiled and waved, and as he watched Key come closer, his smile grew. Every time he saw Key there was a small twinge of guilt in his stomach, but it was soon overpowered by excitement. Jonghyun wasn't exactly sure what he was excited for, but he was starting to realize how happy he was after talking to Key. Why does he have this effect on me? I smile like a fool everytime I see him...It's just because I have my old friend back. That's why...

"What's up, Key?"

"Have you eaten?"

"Ani. Wh-"

"Great!" Key's arms shot up in excitement. "Let's go." He grabbed Jonghyun's wrist.

Jonghyun was distracted for a moment by the fact that Key was practically holding his hand, not really noticing that he was being dragged across campus. "...Ok." Jonghyun let key pull him to a small cafe just around the corner. 

Right after ordering, Key began a conversation, or rather, began to talk continuously while Jonghyun listened. "So we have a break coming up soon and I was thinking that the six of us could..."

Jonghyun quickly lost focus and zoned out, paying more attention to Key's appearance than his words. His wavy, sandy brown hair fell to his eyebrows, which Jonghyun watched raise as he became excited. Jonghyun noticed the bright blue eyeliner that made his brown eyes pop and then his cute, matching blue jacket. He has always dressed stylishly, but have I always found it this cute? He was so bright and full of energy, Jonghyun also noticed. He had always liked that about Key. He had also always admired Key's artisitic abilities. He remembered his first day of third grade.  He was new to the school and was a bit afraid that he wouldn't make any friends.  He went into the class room and saw a boy, Kibum, playing with playdough.  He had made a near exact replica of the toy he had standing in front of him.  Jonghyun went over and asked if he could play too.  Key enthusiastically welcomed Jonghyun to join him and showed him how to make sculptures. They were instant friends. 

Key was still rambling on. He smiled as he went on and Jonghyun smiled back. His cheeks formed into cute circles when he smiled.  He's so cute when he laughs... and his eyes just light up.  Wait wait wait! What am I doing? This isn't right... is it possible? His thoughts took him back to the first day of classes after Micha's birthday and the conversation he had with Taemin.

"There is this thing, you know, called being gay."

Can it be that I... like him? Jonghyun stared intently at Key, judging whether or not he would classify the feeling that he had when he was with Key as liking him.  His eyes are so pretty... And when he smiles I can't help but smile back.  His hair looks so soft.  Jonghyun lifted his hand off the table as if to Key's hair, but stopped himself. He even looks cute when he is annoyed, when he tilts his head to the side like that and his eyebrows scrunch together. Jonghyun noticed the unnatural rate of his own heartbeat. Oh my god. I really do-

"YAH!" his thought was cut off by Key's yell. "Are you even listening to me?"

"Oh! I uh.... Well you see...." Jonghyun began to stutter and suddenly stood up. "The thing is... Bye." He ran out of the restaurant leaving a confused Key behind.

 ------------------------------------------------

"Taemin-ah!" Jonghyun panted when he finally reached the place that he asked Taemin to meet him.

"Annyonghaseyo hyung. Where's the fire?"

"Taemin, I think I'm gay." Jonghyun said, a trace of disbelief still in his voice. Taemin burst out laughing.

"How did you come to that conclusion?" Taemin asked when he manged to stop the laughter.

"I like Key."

"Its about time you realized it, I mean the way you stare at him all the time..."

Jonghyun covered his face with his hands and tipped his head back. "What do I do Taemin?"

"Tell Key."

"What?! I can't just tell him. How can I just say that?"

"Say 'yah, Key. I really like you." Taemin said simply. Jonghyun spluttered, looking ready to protest, so Taemin went on.

"Look, hyung. It doesn't have to be complicated. Just say something simple or do something small to show him that you like him. You need to tell him how you feel if you want to be with him. Don't worry, you can do it hyung! I have a good feeling about this. Besides, look at this hot bod! Look at these guns!" Taemin said, giving Jonghyun's arm a good natured slap. "Who could say no to you?" 

"Thanks, kid." Jonghyun chuckled. He let out a big sigh and looked down, thinking. 

"I should tell him. You're right..." he finally said.

"Of course I am."

Jonghyun pulled out his phone and sent a quick text before taking off running again, shouting a thank you to Taemin.

"What a goofball." Taemin shook his head and smiled. "They'll be so cute together..." he mumbled to himself.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Key had just paid the check at the restaurant and was slowly walking back to his dorm. I can't believe he just took off like that... why would hyung do that to me? He must have had a good reason...He BETTER have a good reason!

A cute tone sounded from his pocket and he pulled his phone out.

TEXT FROM:

Jonghyun hyung

 Key, I am sorry that I ran off like that.  Please meet me at the nature walk on campus ASAP. I'll explain there. Please hurry. ~Jonghyun

~~~

A few minutes later in the nature walk, Key spotted Jonghyun running toward him.

“Yah! What was all that about? Just leaving out of nowhere?” Key said, still annoyed. Jonghyun looked at him for a moment and his chest tightened with fear. He quickly looked away, finding it hard to look Key in the eye now.

"Let's walk." Jonghyun said, putting a hand on his back and walking alongside him. They walked for a while, Key becoming impatient and  somewhat confused and Jonghyun having an internal battle. Okay, Jonghyun you can do this. Oh, god no I can't! This is insane. No, no n-

"Alright, you're freaking me out. Why don't you just tell me why you ran off? Is there something going on? Did someone get hurt? Oh, no it's Taeminnie, isn't it?!" Key asked, becoming worried.

“No! No, everyone is fine. I just... need to tell you something. Come this way.” He said, taking Key’s hand and guiding him off the path and into the trees. He pulled some branches out of the way and motioned for Key to go through. When he did, he found himself in a little circular area enclosed by trees and thick shrubbery. In the center was a small tree surrounded by red flowers. Jonghyun took his hand again and led him to a bench behind the tree.

“Wow, how do you know about this place?” Key said looking around.

“I just stumbled on it once and now I come here sometimes to think. Please, sit down.” Key sat and Jonghyun began to pace in front of him, running his fingers through his hair nervously.

“You wanted to tell me something?” Key prompted.

“Yes…well I…” Jonghyun stopped and faced Key. He noticed Key’s expression, his cute lips were pursed in confusion. Jonghyun took a deep, shaky breath.

“You see…how should I put this…I realized, no I feel…well, you’re such a…your smile is just…” even though Jonghyun was still avoiding his eyes, he noticed Key’s expression softening. He tried to go on and get to the point.

“I didn’t think I could feel this way about…I can’t stop thinking about you and… what I mean to say is-” Key had stood up while Jonghyun struggled to form a coherent sentence. Key took Jonghyun’s hand to stop him and looked into his eyes.

“I like you too.” He said. They looked at each other in silence for a few moments. Jonghyun searched Key’s face as if it would confirm what he had just said to be true. What is that expression on his face? Nervousness? Fear? Maybe, but there’s something else…could it be happiness or excitement? Because of me…?

Jonghyun reached up and touched Key’s cheek lightly. He let his thumb slowly brush across his bottom lip. Key’s cheeks turned a light shade of pink and he looked down. Jonghyun slowly pulled him into a hug and after a moment Key hugged back, wrapping his arms around him. Jonghyun let out a shaky laugh.

“I had no idea you liked me too…Key, will you be my boyfriend?” Key nodded and mumbled a yes into Jonghyun’s chest. A wide smile spread across Jonghyun’s face and he held Key tighter. Then, he felt Key shake.

“Hey, are you crying? Did I do something wrong!?” they pulled apart a bit and Jonghyun saw Key’s eyes fill up with tears.

“No! No, I'm sorry…I’m j-just so happy.” Key half laughed, half sobbed. This is the most adorable thing I’ve seen in my life, Jonghyun thought. He wiped Key’s cheek and pulled him into a hug again, this time picking him up and spinning him around. Jonghyun loved the sound of the giggles Key let out.

_______________________________________________________

 

"HOW COULD YOU EVEN SAY THAT TO ME?!!!" Minho screamed at Jinki. He had totally lost all control of his temper. With out even thinking about it, he pulled his right arm back, hand clenched into a fist. It seemed that their agreement to play fair had been tossed aside. They had become increasingly annoyed with each other all day.

On no, I've gone too far. We agreed to have a fair fight, but you know what they say "love and war are.. always fair" or something like that.  But I never thought that he would punch me!  Jinki started to back away, trying to reason with him.

"Minho-ssi, let's be ration-" he started but tripped and fell.  It was really lucky that he did because Minho's fist had scheduled a meeting with Jinki's face at that moment.

Minho's fist flew right over his head.  He felt Jinki's hair brush his arm as it happened.  His momentum threw him forward and he stumbeled over the tree branch that had saved Jinki's face.  He hit the ground next to Jinki.  Minho rolled over on top of him and brought his fist back again.  With incredible strength that threw Minho off guard, Jinki grabbed Minho's arm and held it back. After he saw that Minho was confused,  Jinki grabbed his other hand and threw his weight upward.  They rolled over and suddenly Jinki was on top of him.  He held both of Minho's arms to the ground. 

"Do we really want to do this, Minho?"  He struggled to hit Jinki again, then fell limp. 

"I guess you're right." he said. Jinki stayed where he was, afraid Minho might attack again as soon as he let go. 

"Can I just ask you one question though, hyung?" Minho asked.

"Uh, sure." Jinki said still not moving, though now because he was distracted by curiousity.

"How did you get so strong?"  A grim expression crossed Jinki's face when Minho asked this question, and his grip on Minho's wrists tightned.

"I had to. To protect my sister.  When ever that creep would..."  He stopped mid-sentence and a shudder ran dowm his body.

Minho was about to ask him to elaborate, but suddenly Jinki was being yanked off of Minho by the collar of his shirt.  He struggled to get into a standing position and Minho picked himself up off the ground in a very courdinated fashion, kicking his legs up then jumping from his back to his feet. 

"Hey there Micha." Minho said casually, while brushing his bangs out of his eyes, obviously trying to be suave. Damn it. Jinki thought. Micha is never going to pick me...

"Don't you just 'hey Micha' me!" she snapped. "What is going on here? What are you two fighting about?"

Oh, boy! Not a question I want to give you the answer to right now...Jinki tried to think of some excuse. "W-well we, uh, we j-just-."

Minho cut him off. "You. We were fighting over you."

Micha just looked from Minho to Jinki and back with a look of utter shock on her face. "WHAT?"

Minho no longer saw a point in keeping it from her and he wanted to see what her reaction would be. "I like you."

Not wanting to be left out of the mix, Jinki spoke right away. "I also have feelings... for you."  Minho smirked during the akward pause.

Micha seemed taken aback. "I-I like you guys too..." she laughed awkwardly and tried to pretend she didn't realize what they meant.

Minho heard Jinki mumble "That won't do" and he was not too happy with that answer himself.

"You know what we mean. You have to make a decision. Who's it going to be?"

"What? But...how can I just choose?  Everytime I think I've fallen for one of you then the other will come around and I'll get just as hung up and then I just get confused and feel guilty. I am just really confused about these feelings right now and..." Micha started to trail off.

"D-does that mean y-you have feelings for me too, Micha?" Jinki asked, surprised. He honestly thought she would just pick Minho right then and there. Her eyes found his but she quickly looked away, blushing. She nodded. Jinki felt his cheeks become warm as well and a goofy smile formed on his face.

"I have an idea..." Minho said, interrupting their little blush-fest.

"What if... what if you went on a date with each of us and then decided afterwards?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note!!!

I have missed you all so much! (Meaning the 2 subscribers who haven't been on in over a week and the commenter that wasn't a subscriber... We seem to be lame)

Any-whos-it, I am falling in love with our story but it doesn't seem to be doing to well... OTL so tell a friend about us, and if you dont like us, well... then lie through your teeth.

hmmm... motivation anyone? If we get to 100 subscribers, then we will post ten chapters in one day. Strive for it! (Good luck...)

Moving on,

We have an alternate ending to the chapter for you!

Here it is:

Minho no longer saw a point in keeping it from her and he wanted to see what her reaction would be. "I like you."

Not wanting to be left out of the mix, Jinki spoke right away. "I also have feelings... for you."  Minho smirked during the akward pause.

Micha seemed taken aback. "I-I like you guys too..."

Minho heard Jinki mumble something inaudible

"Well?" Minho asked, "What do you suppose we do about this?"

Micha smiled at him. "My mom always said sharing is caring..."

Minho thought for a minute, then looked at Jinki. "I can live with that." he said.

"Alright. I get her first!" Jinki said, scooping up Micha and running off with her.

"Yah!" Minho ran after them.

XD