Chapter 8

Don't Deserve You

 

As soon as they arrived, Chaeyoung raced out the car and approached Mr. Park.

Lisa hung up the phone with Jennie and grabbed the umbrella to chase after her.

Lisa: Aish, look at you! Now you're wet!

Lisa placed the umbrella over the latter's head. Chaeyoung was too busy talking to Mr. Park to even notice.

Chaeyoung: Where have you searched so far Ahjussi?

Mr. Park: Just around the area. I was waiting for you.

Chaeyoung: How long has it been since she's been here?

Mr. Park: I'm not exactly sure. Maybe about 2 hours or so. I fell asleep for only 30 minutes, but before that she had still been here.

Chaeyoung: She couldn't have gone far on foot and in this weather then. 

Turning to Lisa, she addressed them both.

Chaeyoung: There's only 2 ways out of this area, north and south. Mr. Park, you can search towards the south and Lisa and I can search up north.

Mr. Park nodded. 

Mr. Park: I'll contact you if I find her. 

Chaeyoung nodded.

Mr. Park: I'm sorry Miss Chaeyoung.

Chaeyoung: You know it's not your fault Mr. Park. Jisoo unnie wouldn't blame you either.

Mr. Park gave her a half hearted smile.

Mr. Park: I'll get going, this rain doesn't seem like it will stop anytime soon.

Chaeyoung: Good luck.

Chaeyoung faces Lisa who gave her an encouraging smile.

Lisa: We'll find her. 

The older girl returned a grateful nod before starting to search for Jisoo.

Chaeyoung: Jisoo unnie! Where are you?!

Lisa: Jisoo unnie!

Chaeyoung squinted her eyes while trying to get a better view of her surroundings. But the rain was pouring down too much, making it difficult for her to see.

'Please be okay Unnie. You promised me.'

 

•••

 

30 minutes later there was still no sign of Jisoo. The rain continued to pour down. 

Lisa glanced at Chaeyoung who was getting more frustrated by the minute.

Chaeyoung: Argh! I don't get it! Why can't we find her?! 

Lisa leaned in and pulled her into a comforting hug.

Lisa: Come on Chae. Remember what I said? Remain calm, I'm sure we'll find her.

At that exact moment, Lisa spotted a lump on the ground from across the street. She squinted her eyes in order to gain a better view but it was no use.

She nudged at Chaeyoung.

Lisa: Chaeyoung-ah, look! 

The 2 girls looked across the street and quickly rushed over. As they neared the form, they could make out the figure of a person. 

Chaeyoung: Oh my god! Jisoo unnie!

Chaeyoung rushed over to the unmoving figure of Jisoo, who laid shivering but unconscious against the wall.

Chaeyoung took off her jacket and wrapped it around the elder. 

Lisa: Yah you're gonna catch a cold!

Lisa took off her own jacket and wrapped it around Chaeyoung.

Chaeyoung: What about you?

Lisa: I'll be fine. Just worry about Jisoo unnie.

Chaeyoung spared the latter a worried glance before turning her attention back to Jisoo.

Chaeyoung: Oh Unnie, why are you like this? 

The younger started to cry, tears streamed down her face like waterfalls. As she tended to Jisoo, she looked up to Lisa.

Chaeyoung: Lisa you have to call Mr. Park. We have to get her to the hospital, I think her condition is gonna worsen if we don't get her there right now.

Lisa nodded and reached for her phone. She dialed Mr. Park's number in which he picked up on the 2nd ring.

Mr. Park: Did you find her?!

Lisa: Yes! But she's not looking good, we have to get her to the hospital as soon as possible.

Mr. Park: Where are you? I'll come pick you up.

Lisa: We're by Gangnam Hotel. Please hurry ahjussi.

Mr. Park: I'm on my way.

Lisa hung up the phone and knelt down by Chaeyoung to help her tend to Jisoo.

Lisa: How is she?

Chaeyoung: I-I don't know... B-but she's burning up Lisa. 

Lisa: Shhh.... it's gonna be okay. Unnie will be fine.

Chaeyoung nodded before reaching into her bag, seeming to be searching for something.

Lisa : What are you looking for Chae?

Chaeyoung: Unnie's medicine. She-she probably collapsed because her heart acted up again.

A few more seconds later, the older girl pulled out a small container from her bag and a bottle of water. After the events of Jisoo's heart condition acting up a few weeks ago, Chaeyoung had decided to carry around a container of Jisoo's medicine herself, in case of anything like this ever happening. 

The younger girl was relieved to know that she had made the right decision in carrying it around.

She took out the pills and carefully fed them to Jisoo.

Chaeyoung: Please be alright Unnie. I'm begging you.

Lisa silently prayed to herself. 

'Please let Jisoo unnie be okay.'

Just then Mr. Park pulled in by the curb and called for the girls to get in.

Mr. Park: Get her in the car!

The 2 lifted Jisoo up and quickly got her into the car. As soon as the three girls were in, Mr. Park sped towards the nearest hospital without waiting a second more.

 

•••

 

Mr. Park carried the unconcious Jisoo into SM National Hosiptal with Chaeyoung and Lisa trailing not so far behind. 

Luckily the nearest hospital had been SM. Since it was where Jisoo gets her monthly checkups, the physicians knew about all of the CEO's condition.

Jisoo's attending physician, chief of surgery, Dr. Shim Changmin approached them with his team of doctors and nurses. He barked a few commands, in which they replied by taking Jisoo off of Mr. Park's back and placing her on a gurney, and then immediately rushing her to the E.R. afterwards.

Seeing that there was no use for him to be there, Mr. Park excused himself.

Mr. Park: I should get back to my family Miss Chaeyoung. But please do alert me if there is any news about Miss Jisoo. 

Chaeyoung nodded and smiled halfheartedly at the elder.

Chaeyoung: Thank you Mr. Park. And don't worry, I'll call you as soon as I hear about unnie's condition.

And with that, Mr. Park exited the hospital, leaving behind Dr. Shim, Chaeyoung, and Lisa.

Dr. Shim turned towards Chaeyoung, his face etched with a worried expression. 

Changmin: Chaeyoung-ah, what happened? Jisoo was just fine when I had last seen her a few weeks ago.

Chaeyoung: I don't know the full story oppa. But I think she's been under the rain for about 2 hours, and I also just gave her her medicine about 7 minutes ago.

Changmin nodded.

Changmin: I have to go check on her condition right now. I'll let you know as soon as possible.

Chaeyoung: I'll leave her in your care then.

The doctor turned to leave but was called back by Chaeyoung.

Chaeyoung: What can you infer about her current condition oppa?

Changmin turned and shot her a sympathetic gaze. 

Changmin: Not good Chae. I'm so sorry, I promise I'll do my best.

The older boy left, leaving behind a crestfallen Chaeyoung standing in the hallway, drenched from head to toe.

Lisa approached her girlfriend and wrapped her arms around her. She gave Chaeyoung a kiss on her forehead.

Lisa: Everything will be alright Chaeyoung-ah.

Chaeyoung broke down in tears and let herself be engulfed by Lisa's embrace. After a few moments of silence between the 2, Chaeyoung finally spoke up.

Chaeyoung: Thank you Lisa.

Lisa: For what?

Chaeyoung: For everything you've done for me. It was probably hard for you to see me worry about another girl. But I promise that you're the only one in my heart.

Lisa kissed the Chaeyoung's forehead, and ran her hand down the older girl's hair.

Lisa: Don't be silly Chae. I know how important Jisoo is to you. She is also my friend now, so it's nothing you should thank me for.

Chaeyoung shook her head.

Chaeyoung: It's not only that. I also want to thank you for taking care of me, not only today, but everyday. For not leaving me alone, for buying me an umbrella, for giving me your jacket... and finally, for being the best girlfriend I can ever ask for. 

Lisa pulled back and looked into Chaeyoung's eyes.

Lisa: Do you really mean that?

Chaeyoung nodded.

Lisa smiled before pulling her in for a kiss. Chaeyoung was startled at first, but then allowed herself to return the gesture.

It was the couple's first kiss together. Although they were standing in the middle of a hospital and drenched in rain, the kiss was perfect.

Lisa pulled back and gazed into Chaeyoung's eyes.

Lisa: I love you Park Chaeyoung.

Chaeyoung: And I love you, Lalisa Manoban.

 

•••

 

After the events that had taken place, Lisa and Chaeyoung had grabbed a seat by the E.R. to wait for Jisoo.

Not long after, Changmin stepped out from the room. Jisoo was rolled out from a gurney but still unconscious. The nurses rolled her away while Changmin stayed behind.

Chaeyoung slowly approached the doctor, afraid for the news to come. Changmin heaved a sigh.

Changmin: She's stable for now, but she's also running a very high fever. The condition of her heart has also deteriorated, so I'm gonna keep her here to moniter for a few weeks. 

Lisa placed a hand on Chaeyoung's shoulder as a gesture of support. Chaeyoung stayed silent before replying to Changmin.

Chaeyoung: Is there any news of a heart donor?

Changmin shook his head.

Changmin: We actually got a new heart last week, but it didn't match with Jisoo's blood type. 

Chaeyoung: Is she gonna be okay?

Changmin: It's hard to tell for now, but I believe that Jisoo will hold on. She's got a fighting spirit, we just got to have some faith in her.

Chaeyoung nodded silently.

Changmin: But Jisoo needs a new heart Chaeyoung-ah. Her current one is very weak, we need a new heart, the sooner the better. 

Chaeyoung: I know oppa. Suho oppa and I are doing everthing we can to find one.

Changmin: I actually talked to Suho a couple of days ago. He had told me that there was a family who's son was very ill, but his heart seemed to be perfectly healthy. There's also a high chance that his blood type is compatible with Jisoo's. Suho didn't want me to tell you guys yet because the family is obstinate about donating their son's heart away. 

Chaeyoung's face slightly lit up upon hearing the news.

Chaeyoung: So you mean there's hope?

Changmin: The chances are slim. But if Suho manages to convince the family, then Jisoo might have a fighting chance.

Chaeyoung turned to Lisa who smiled softly at her. 

Chaeyoung: When will I be able to see Jisoo unnie?

Changmin checked his watch.

Changmin: Give her till tomorrow morning to recuperate. Her heart is weak, and along with the fact that she's running a high fever. She'll need all the rest she can get. 

Chaeyoung nodded.

Chaeyoung: Thank you oppa. 

Changmin:  There's no need to thank me Chaeyoung-ah. Jisoo is also a good friend of mine, I want her to survive as much as you do.

Chaeyoung smiled fondly at the doctor.

Chaeyoung: Will you be heading home tonight?

Changmin shook his head.

Changmin: I'll be staying here with you to wait for Jisoo to wake up.

He checked his watch once more.

Changmin: I do have a surgery in 10 minutes though, but I'll meet you at Jisoo's room when I'm done.

Chaeyoung: Ok, take care oppa.

The older boy smiled at Chaeyoung before taking his leave.

Chaeyoung turns to Lisa, her eyes brimmed with tears. Lisa pulled her in and embraced the older girl. Chaeyoung smiled and returned the gesture.