Chapter 47

Don't Deserve You

 

Jisoo was sitting in her office, when her door suddenly flies open, revealing an angry Chaeyoung.

 

The younger girl was storming her way towards Jisoo after slamming the door shut.

 

Chaeyoung: What the hell is wrong with you unnie?! 

 

Jisoo: I don't know what you're talking about Chaeyoung-ah.

 

Chaeyoung: You sure as hell do know what I'm talking about Kim Jisoo. It's written all over your face!

 

Jisoo: Even if I do know what you're talking about, I still have nothing to say.

 

Chaeyoung lets out a scoff as she stares incredulously at the older girl.

 

Chaeyoung: Why are you treating Jennie unnie this way?! She hasn't done anything to you, and you're acting like as if she had killed someone!

 

Jisoo closes her eyes tiredly as she tries to control her temper.

 

Jisoo: That's enough Chaeyoung. 

 

Chaeyoung: No it's not! I want you to tell me what's been going on with you because Jennie unnie is a literal mess! She came to Lisa's house today soaked from head to toe and is now coming down with a fever! She has been crying everyday for the past week because you're acting like a ing assh*le!

 

Jisoo's heart throbs painfully while listening to Chaeyoung talk about Jennie. But she knew that she just couldn't allow herself to remain close to the younger girl before figuring out her feelings first. It would only hurt the both of them in the end if she lets her feelings decide what she should do.

 

So she did what she has been doing for the past week. She masked the pain that was now engraved in heart, and feigned a nonchalant expression. 

 

Jisoo: She's been sick before Chaeyoung-ah. Stop being so dramatic.

 

Chaeyoung: Are you listening to yourself right now unnie?! You're hurting Jennie! The woman you're in love with is in pain because of you! She's blaming herself for being the reason that's causing you to act like this, when you're being the biggest douchebag in the world!

 

Jisoo: I'm busy Chaeyoung. If you're gonna give me a lecture about how to treat my wife then save it for another day. I—

 

Before Jisoo could even finish what she was about to say, she was immediately cut off by a slap across her face. 

 

Chaeyoung's face was etched with a swirl of emotions. It was mixed with anger and disgust, but what hurt Jisoo the most was the evident look of disappointment displayed across the younger's expression.

 

Chaeyoung: I can't believe you right now unnie! What has gotten into you?! What happened to the kind-hearted and loving Jisoo unnie that I once knew? You're behaving like a completely different person these days!

 

Jisoo clenches her jaw together and remained silent.

 

Chaeyoung: Please unnie. Tell me what's wrong? 

 

Jisoo: Nothing is wrong with me Chaeyoung. People change all the time, it's nothing new. 

 

Chaeyoung releases a defeated sigh, as she gazes sadly at Jisoo.

 

Chaeyoung: To say that I'm disappointed in you would be an understatement unnie. I don't believe that you're this kind of person. I just don't understand why you're pushing everyone away, especially Jennie unnie. 

 

Jisoo shuts her eyes once again as she tries to block out the pain that Chaeyoung's words caused. But it proves to be useless as she could feel the tears start to build up in her eyes.

 

Quickly, she turns her chair around and blinked her tears away before the younger could see them.

 

Jisoo: Are you done talking?

 

Chaeyoung: No. But I know that no matter what I say, you're not gonna listen anyways. 

 

Chaeyoung turns around and made her way towards the door. As she placed her hand on the handle, she turns back and takes one last glance at Jisoo. 

 

Shaking her head, Chaeyoung opens the door and made her way out of the room.

 

•••

 

That night, Jisoo decided to go to the bar. She was on her third bottle of soju, and was starting to feel the affects of the alcohol.

 

She never liked the taste of alcohol, nor the way that it made her feel. 

 

But as of lately, it was the only thing she could think of that would help numb the aching pain that was gnawing at her heart. The pain that was killing her from the inside out.

 

She takes another sip of soju before releasing a bitter laugh. So this is what her life has become.

 

'Pathetic.'

 

'My life is pathetic.'

 

'I'm pathetic.'

 

Not only can she not get revenge for her parents, but she's also hurting the woman that she loves most through her actions. 

 

But she knew that no matter what she does, she will end up hurting Jennie anyways. 

 

"Excuse me, miss. But it's time for us to close."

 

Jisoo turns towards the waiter and gives him a drunken nod.

 

Jisoo: How much?

 

Waiter: 13,000 won.

 

Jisoo reaches inside her pocket and pulls out a 50,000 won. Not caring that it was much more than the waiter asked for, she gave it to him and got up from her seat.

 

Jisoo: Keep the change. 

 

Leaving behind the shocked waiter, Jisoo stumbled her way out of the bar to find herself throwing up a couple of seconds later.

 

Shaking her head, she tries to shake away the dizziness that clouded her brain. 

 

Unsteadily, she starts to walk towards the way of the sidewalk to hail for a taxi. Jisoo stops in her tracks when she felt herself hit against something. 

 

Glancing up, she sees the face a scowling man, who seems as equally drunk as she was. Behind him stood three other men who appeared to be his lackeys.

 

Jisoo rolls her eyes as she muttered under her breath. 

 

Jisoo: Just ing great...

 

Jisoo moves forward as she tries to get through, but the man pushes her back.

 

Jisoo: Let me through.

 

Jisoo tries to walk around him but yet the man moved in her way.

 

Jisoo: What do you want old man?

 

The man swayed in his spot as he lets out a scoff and slightly pushes Jisoo's shoulder.

 

Man: Aren't you gonna say sorry?

 

Jisoo: And why should I? You bumped into me.

 

The man lets out another scoff as he raises a finger to poke at Jisoo's forehead.

 

Man: Yah, you ran into me. So you should apologize you punk.

 

Jisoo rolled her eyes.

 

Jisoo: Is it my fault that you can't see where you're going? Move, I need to get home.

 

She tries to get through but was once again pushed back. Feeling that her patience was running thin, Jisoo heaves out a sigh before deciding to swallow her own pride and apologize.

 

Jisoo: I'm sorry okay? Now let me through.

 

The man laughed and looked around at his friends in amusement.

 

Man: I'm gonna need more that just an apology sweetheart. Pay up.

 

Jisoo scoffs.

 

Jisoo: And why would I do that?

 

Man: You bumped into me. I need some compensation money. 

 

In her drunken state, Jisoo reaches into her pocket and pulled out some money. She threw it at the man and watched as if flew all over his face.

 

Jisoo: Is that enough for you? Stupid drunkard...

 

The man's face morphs into an angry scowl upon hearing Jisoo's words. 

 

Man: What did you just call me?!

 

Jisoo: I called you a stupid drunkard. 

 

Man: No one talks to me like that you ing b*tch!

 

The man sluggishly raises his arm up and took a swing at Jisoo. However, she was able to stop his hand before it can to hit her face. 

 

She twisted the man's hand before punching him across the jaw.

 

The man clutches his face in pain as he shouts for his friends to charge at Jisoo.

 

Despite being able to fend them, the alcohol that was circulating through her bloodstream caused Jisoo's moves to be weary and sluggish. 

 

After a bit, she was caught off guard by one of the men who kicked her across the face. At first, she was angered, but after a while of taking the hits, she felt some sort of relief.

 

Relief of somehow being able to repent for being such a jerk towards her friends, and for hurting Jennie all this time. 

 

As the next hit came towards her, Jisoo didn't try to block it. She releases a gasp of pain as the fist flew right into her rib cage, stealing all the air from her lungs. 

 

As she was trying to regain her senses, Jisoo was caught off guard by a kick that smacked straight across her jaw.

 

The force of the kick caused her to collapse onto the ground more dazed than before.

 

She clutches her side in pain as she wheezed out a bitter laugh. 

 

Jisoo: Is that... all... you got? My grandma can hit... better... that you bastards.

 

The men now circled around a battered Jisoo, who was at the moment struggling to keep her eyes open. She coughed up some blood, and used her hand to wipe it away, hating the metallic taste it had left in . 

 

Jisoo tries to lift herself up, but immediately collapses due to her weakened state. Closing her eyes, she leans her head against the wall behind her as she waits for the men to close in and finish the job.

 

"Jisoo?!" 

 

Jisoo's eyes flickered open upon hearing the familiar voice. She watches as Soojoo knelt down besides her and looked over her beaten body.

 

Man: Yah, get out of the way! We have some business with this b*tch.

 

Soojoo whips her head around as she glares at the men. 

 

Soojoo: If you don't leave right now, I swear I'll call the police! I'm not afraid to let the law handle with you bunch!

 

The man scoffs as nudges to his friends.

 

Man: Let's go. I'm sure the little punk has learned her lesson.

 

Soojoo watches as the men walked away before shifting her attention back towards Jisoo. Her eyes glazed over upon seeing the state that her friend was in. She reaches inside her bag and pulls out some tissues to try and stem the blood flowing down from Jisoo's temple.

 

Soojoo: What happened to you Jisoo...

 

Jisoo tries to give the older girl a small smile but ended up grimacing in pain at the effort.

 

Jisoo: It's good to see you Jooya. 

 

Soojoo wipes away the tear that manages to escape from her eyes before placing Jisoo's arm around her shoulder.

 

Soojoo: Come on. I have to take you home. Jennie will be so worried.

 

Jisoo shakes her head.

 

Jisoo: No... She's sick right now. I don't want her to worry about me.

 

Soojoo: Then I'll take you to the hospital. You're wounds need to be treated.

 

Jisoo: I don't want to go the hospital.

 

Soojoo: Jisoo you're hurt! Stop being so stubborn!

 

Jisoo turns over and gives Soojoo a pleading look.

 

Jisoo: Please Jooya. Just... can you just take me back to your house? I don't want to see anybody else right now.

 

The older girl hesitates for a bit before nodding in agreement. With much effort, she helps Jisoo stand up before carefully leading the younger towards her car.

 

•••

 

Soojoo gently laid Jisoo on the couch as she went inside to fetch the first aid kit.

 

She returns seconds later to see that the latter had fallen unconscious.

 

Feeling the worry build up in her chest, Soojoo approaches Jisoo and taps her shoulder, trying to wake her up.

 

Soojoo: Jisoo-yah... Jisoo... you need to wake up so I can treat your wounds.

 

After a few more calls, Jisoo groggily wakes up, forgetting for a moment that she was with Soojoo. She lifts her head up and releases a groan of pain at the sudden movement before falling back down.

 

Soojoo: Aish, you shouldn't be moving Jisoo. Stay still.

 

Obediently, Jisoo stays put and allows Soojoo to dress her wounds, despite grimacing every time the latter touches an injury.

 

Soojoo: Why did you do that?

 

Jisoo: Do what?

 

Soojoo: Why did you get in a fight with those guys? And why in the world were you drunk?

 

Jisoo releases a sigh, knowing that her friend would ask the dreaded question sooner or later.

 

Jisoo: No reason. I'm just having a bad day. 

 

Soojoo shakes her head, knowing very well herself that Jisoo was lying.

 

Soojoo: The truth Jisoo. 

 

Jisoo: Don't force me to say anything Jooya. Because I'm not gonna tell you anything. There's nothing to tell.

 

Soojoo heaves out a sigh as she sets down the gauze and alcohol.

 

Soojoo: Then tell me why you're acting so distant towards your wife?

 

Jisoo opens her eyes to gaze at her friend. Sensing the questioning look in the other girl's eyes, Soojoo spoke up.

 

Soojoo: Chaeyoung told me.

 

Jisoo continues to stare at Soojoo for a bit longer before choosing to close her eyes once more.

 

Jisoo: I don't know what you're talking about.

 

Soojoo: Why do you always have to be so goddamn stubborn Jisoo? We're all trying to help you. 

 

Jisoo: I don't need you to help me with anything. I'm perfectly fine.

 

Soojoo releases a scoff at the latter's reply.

 

Soojoo: Which perfectly explains why you've been coming home drunk everyday, and not to mention picking a fight with a bunch of thugs while you were clearly not in your right state of mind.

 

Jisoo remains silent, choosing to ignore Soojoo's accusations.

 

Soojoo: If you don't tell me what's going on with you, I swear I'm gonna go bring Jennie over here. 

 

Jisoo opens her eyes and looked towards Soojoo. 

 

Jisoo: Why can't you just let it go?

 

Soojoo: Because I know you're hurting Sooya. I don't know why or how, but I can sense it. You never do anything this reckless, and you would never hurt Jennie on purpose unless it's not something serious. You even shut Chaeyoung out this time. 

 

Jisoo closes her eyes and heaves out a sigh. She carefully lifts herself up from her position and takes in a deep breath. 

 

Jisoo: You can't tell anyone. I mean it Jooya. Not. A. Word. 

 

Soojoo hesitates for a bit before deciding to agree to her friend's request.

 

Soojoo: I promise.

 

Jisoo nodded as she prepares herself to tell Soojoo everything she's been hiding. After a moment of hesitation, she finally spoke.

 

Jisoo: I... I found out that... my parents' death... hadn't been caused by an accident. 

 

Soojoo: ... You mean... they were.... murdered?

 

Jisoo nodded as a few tears fell from her eyes. Soojoo shook her head, still not believing what she had just heard. 

 

Soojoo: How... how could you be so sure Sooya? It's been 4 years.

 

Jisoo: There was evidence Soojoo. There's no denying it.

 

Soojoo's eyes furrowed in confusion, still not quite understanding the situation.

 

Soojoo: I don't get it. Why are you keeping this from Jennie and everyone? 

 

Jisoo closes her eyes as she heaves out a melancholic sigh.

 

Jisoo: It was... Jennie's dad that killed my parents Soojoo... He was the person behind their murder.

 

Soojoo blinked her eyes rapidly, unable to believe what she had just heard.

 

Soojoo: You can't be serious Jisoo. 

 

Jisoo Let's our a bitter laugh as she shakes her head:

 

Jisoo: I wish I wasn't Jooya. Everyday, I would wake and see her... And I'd wish that everything was just one giant nightmare... 

 

Soojoo watches as her friend starts to break down in tears, and she could feel her own heart break at the sight of seeing Jisoo cry.

 

She places a comforting hand on Jisoo's arm, hoping in some way that she was able to ease the latter's pain.

 

Soojoo: Are you sure about this Sooya? Like a 100 percent sure? How is it even possible? The accident was four years ago.

 

Jisoo shakes her head.

 

Jisoo: There's no way that I'm wrong Soojoo. For the past week I've tried to look for anything... anything to prove that Jennie's father had nothing to do with that accident... but every time, all the evidence leads back to him. And everyday, I feel like I'm slowly dying from inside. It's so suffocating to be around Jennie that it was beginning to feel painful for me to even breathe. It hurts so much to know that I'm the one hurting her... but... how can I be with her when her father was the one who had killed my parents?

 

Soojoo: Jennie isn't her father Jisoo. You can't put the blame on her for something her father did.

 

Jisoo shook her head.

 

Jisoo: Don't you think I know that? 

 

Soojoo frowned upon Jisoo's words.

 

Soojoo: Then why...

 

Jisoo: I don't want to do that to her...

 

Soojoo: Do what?

 

Jisoo looks up, her eyes filled with tears. And in that moment, Soojoo saw the same broken girl from 4 years ago. The girl who lost her parents and girlfriend in the same month. In a way, Jisoo was now reliving the same nightmare that has been haunting her for all those years.

 

Jisoo: Make her choose between me and her father.

 

Soojoo: It's still her decision to make Jisoo. You can't make it for her.

 

Jisoo: How would you feel if you were told that your father had murdered someone?

 

Soojoo was slightly taken back by Jisoo question. She racked her brain trying to figure out how she would react.

 

Soojoo: I would feel betrayed, disgusted... as if the man who I thought my father was, had been a lie all this time.

 

Jisoo: But you would still love him.

 

Soojoo's silence confirmed Jisoo's assumptions, in which she nodded in acceptance.

 

Jisoo: You hate him for what he did, but in the end, he's still your father. You can't turn your back on him despite what he's done.

 

Jisoo heaves out a sigh as she blinks back her tears.

 

Jisoo: I've thought about telling Jennie the truth before Jooya... But I'm afraid that if I do so, I'll be forcing her to make an impossible choice. I don't want to that to her... Which is why I'm trying to distance myself from her, so that when she does find out, it'll be easier for to make a decision.

 

Soojoo: But she loves you Jisoo. 

 

Jisoo shook her head.

 

Jisoo: Will you be able to love a person who plans to harm your father?

 

Soojoo shuts her eyes in frustration.

 

Soojoo: That's not the point Ji—

 

Jisoo: Either way Jennie will be hurt! If she chooses me, she'll be going against her father. And if she chooses her father, she'll be going against me... But if she already hates me... it'll be easier for her to leave me.

 

Soojoo: But yet you still haven't told her truth.

 

Jisoo was left speechless, not knowing what to say.

 

Soojoo: You haven't told her the truth yet, because you're hesitating. You love Jennie and you can't bare to let her go.

 

Jisoo tries to blink back her tears, but they still managed to fall down her face nonetheless.

 

Jisoo: I just don't know what to do...

 

Soojoo tries to hold back her own tears as she pulls Jisoo into her arms. The younger broke down into Soojoo's shoulder, not being able to control her sobs any longer.

 

Soojoo: We'll figures this out together Sooya. I don't know how, but it'll all work out in the end. Like I said, I'm never leaving you again.