Chapter 50

Don't Deserve You

 

When Jisoo has finally come to, she notices that it was already nightfall. 

She slowly lifts herself up, a dull throb still eminent in her head. Looking around, she notices that she was once again inside a hospital.

The door suddenly opens revealing Suho's weary face. Upon seeing Jisoo awake, he immediately rushes over towards the younger.

Suho: How are you feeling Sooya?

Jisoo shook her head.

Jisoo: Besides a small headache, I feel fine Oppa. Am I allowed to leave?

Suho stares at girl in front of him with hesitation before slowly shaking his head.

Suho: There's... something you need to know Jisoo.

The younger her head to the side, her face scrunching up in confusion.

Jisoo: What is it?

Seeing the hesitant look on the elder's face, Jisoo came to a mutual understanding as her face fell into a resigned expression.

Jisoo: It's about my headaches isn't it?

Suho's silence seemed to have confirmed Jisoo's assumptions, in which she nodded in acceptance.

Jisoo: What is it?

Suho closes his eyes as he takes in a deep breath, preparing himself to tell Jisoo the dreaded news.

Suho: Intracranial Hematoma.

Seeing the confusion on the younger's face, Suho releases a deep sigh before further explaining.

Suho: It's a collection of blood within the skull, most commonly caused by rupture of a blood vessel within the brain. We concluded that it was caused by when you were hit by that car, and the blood clot has been expanding up until now. 

Jisoo closes her eyes as she tries to process the news. Suho takes ahold of her hand and gives it a squeeze of comfort.

Suho: You have to get treated immediately Sooya. Our scans have detected the blood clot already spreading within your brain. A surgery is needed to clear the blood from your brain as soon as possible.

Jisoo: What... what are the chances that I won't make it out alive?

Suho: If we soon start the surgery, then chances of success are much higher. We—

Jisoo: What are the chances Oppa?

Suho stayed silent for a bit before answering the younger girl.

Suho: 76%... If we do the surgery, there's a 76% chance of success.

Jisoo: So there's a 24% chance that I might die.

Suho: The chances are still high Sooya. I'll make sure that the best doctors will be the ones performing your surgery. I—

Jisoo: But what about the complications Oppa?! There are still other factors that could happen during the surgery! I'm sure you know this as well as I do.

Suho ran a hand exasperatedly through his hair.

Suho: But the longer you wait, the lower your chances of survival will be Sooya! It's been weeks since that accident, your blood clot will only continue to grow!

Jisoo: There's still so much I have to do Oppa! Things that I have yet to finish! What if I end up dying in that surgery?! What if the 24% chance won over the other 76%?!

Suho heaves out a tired sigh before falling back into a chair. He sadly looks at Jisoo's tear stained face and shook his head.

Suho: So that's it? You're just gonna bet on your life this time? 

Jisoo: I'll do the surgery Oppa. But not now. It's not the right time.

Suho: You stubborn fool.

Jisoo smiles softly as she gently reaches for the elder boy's arm.

Jisoo: I know you're worried about me Oppa, but trust me. I can handle it.

Suho: You know the headaches are only going to get worse right? The longer you postpone the surgery, the more difficult the it will be for us to remove the blood clot later on.

Jisoo nodded.

Jisoo: I can do it. I just need you to prescribe me some pain medication until I'm ready.

Suho: You have to tell Jennie, Jisoo. About everything, including this.

Jisoo gives Suho a slight smile and nodded. 

Jisoo: I will Oppa.... But for now... can you please not tell anyone? Even Changmin Oppa. I'm not ready to let them know yet.

Suho hesitates for a minute before agreeing to the younger girl's request. Jisoo returns Suho a smile of gratitude before leaning back in her bed in silence. 

The latter's face was expressionless, and it worried him, for it was the first time ever, that he couldn't tell what Jisoo was thinking.

 

•••

 

Jisoo came home the following morning to find that Jennie had packed a suitcase and was getting ready to leave. 

Jisoo: Where are you going?

Jennie glances at the older girl before replying with a short, emotionless reply.

Jennie: Home. 

Despite the clenching pain of her aching heart, Jisoo replies with a nod. 

Jisoo: I'm gonna head upstairs.

Jennie stood still as Jisoo brushes pass her. She tried to keep shut, and hold onto the little pride that she had left. But once again, her heart had betrayed her. Before she could even process what she was doing, Jennie had already turned around and ran over to embrace Jisoo.

Jennie: Don't do this Jisoo. Tell me to stay. Tell me that you love me. Tell me that you won't ever let me go. 

Jisoo closes her eyes as she takes in a few deep breaths. Slowly she removes Jennie's arms away from her waist and turns around to face the younger. 

Jisoo: We can't be together Jennie-ah.

Jennie's lips quivered a bit as she tries to contain her  tears from falling.

Jennie: Why not? 

Jisoo heaves out a deep sigh before deciding that it was time to for her to tell Jennie the truth. She knew that she couldn't hide it from the latter any longer. 

Jisoo: My parents... they were the most important people in my life. When they had passed away, the reality of it all nearly killed me...

Jennie's eyebrows furrowed in confusion as she tries to figure out the meaning behind Jisoo's words.

Jennie: I... I don't understand Jisoo...

Jisoo: My parents' death wasn't an accident Jennie Kim. They were murdered... By your father. 

Jisoo watches with a heavy heart as Jennie's face was engulfed by a swirl of emotions. The shock on the latter's face morphs into a confused one as she tries to piece together the meaning of Jisoo's words. When the realization had finally dawned on her, her face falls into a dismayed and lost expression as she looks at Jisoo with broken eyes. 

Jennie: It's not true... my-my father would never do that...

Jisoo: It's the truth. He had even admitted it himself.

Jennie shook her head in denial.

Jennie: No! It's not true! He would never do that! You're... you're just making up excuses to push me away! 

Jisoo runs a hand over her face tiredly.

Jisoo: That's the reality Jennie. I told you everything, the rest you can find out from your father. 

Jennie's tears started to pour freely down her face as she's finally come to accept the cold, bitter truth.

Jennie: Do... do you hate me? Is... is that why? Is that the reason why you want a divorce?

Before replying, Jisoo hesitates for a bit as she stares at Jennie's face. The sorrow and pain etched on her wife's face was enough to bring Jisoo to her knees. 

She felt the emotional wall that she had built between her and Jennie slowly start to crumble down as she takes a step forward and wipes away a tear from the younger's face.

Jisoo: My head is telling me to hate you... but my heart isn't willing to let you go...

Jennie gazes into Jisoo's eyes as she searches for an answer within them. The older girl turns away and shuts her eyes tightly as she clenches her fists together.

Jisoo: But I can't be so selfish. To ask you to stand against your father. I can't make you do that.

Jennie's face fell as she steps closer towards Jisoo.

Jennie: But you're the one that I love Jisoo. I-I don't want to lose you.

Jisoo's eyes softens a bit at Jennie's words, and she felt her heart weaken as she tries to control her emotions.

Jisoo: And I don't want you to lose your father. 

Jennie stares at her wife, not knowing what to say.

Jisoo: Will you be able to do it? To choose between your father and I? Will you be able to love a person who resents him? The person who will be responsible for his downfall?

Jisoo's questions had rendered Jennie speechless. The younger girl didn't know what to say as she looks towards the ground. 

More tears continued to pour down Jennie's face as she tries to navigate through the swirl of emotions she was feeling.

Jisoo: Go home Jennie-ah. This is for the best. 

Jennie shook her head.

Jennie: Let's work this out together Jisoo. L-let me go home and talk to my father. I'll ask him to turn himself in. 

Jisoo: Its not that simple Jennie-ah. I don't want you to get in the middle of this. This battle is between your father and I. 

Jennie: I can't lose you Jisoo... Don't you love me?

Jisoo's lips crack into a sad smile as she wipes away the tears from Jennie's face.

Jisoo: I love you Jennie Kim... But I have to let you go.

Jisoo gives Jennie one last smile before leaning in and kissed the latter's forehead. Her lips lingered for a bit before she pulled herself away from Jennie.

She takes a few steps back and tries to capture every aspect of her wife while she still can. 

A few moments of silence later, Jisoo made her way out the house, leaving behind Jennie who was drowning in her own sea of tears.

 

•••

 

When Jiyong had opened the door to his home that evening, he wasn't surprised to be met by the face of his daughter. 

Knowing very well why she was home, he gives Jennie a small smile before moving aside to let her in.

Jiyong: Yeobo (honey), Jennie is home!

Mrs. Kim rushes out of the room as she heard the news of her daughter's arrival. She makes her way over and engulfs the younger girl into her arms.

Mrs. Kim: My sweet darling, I'm so glad you decided to come home. 

Jennie smiles softly as she returns her mother's hug.

Jennie: It's good to see you Eomma.

Mrs. Kim pulls back and her lips form into a frown as she looks over Jennie's face. 

Mrs. Kim: Why do you look so tired and sad Jennie-ah? Did something happen between you and Jisoo?

Jennie shook her head as she tries to refrain her tears from pouring down. 

Jennie: Of course not Eomma. I just miss you and Appa so much, so I told Jisoo that I was gonna come home to stay with you guys for a few days.

Mrs. Kim smiles delightedly. 

Mrs. Kim: What a sweet girl. It's so considerate of her to let you come home and spend time with us. 

Jennie forces a smile as she took a quick glance at her father who grimaced at the mention of Jisoo's name. 

Mrs. Kim: Go have some tea with your appa while I bring your stuff upstairs and clean up your room a bit. And when I'm done you can go rest. 

Jennie gives her home a smile as she nodded. 

Jennie: Thanks Mom. 

Mrs. Kim returns her daughter's smile before grabbing the latter's suitcase and headed upstairs. As soon as she was out of sight, Jennie shifts her attention towards Jiyong, her expression cold. 

Jennie: I need to talk with you appa.

Jiyong nodded. 

Jiyong: I owe you an explanation Jennie-ah. Come on, let's head into my study before your mother finds out. 

Jennie nodded and followed her father into his study. The elder shuts the door and locked it before taking a seat at his desk.

The two stayed in silence before Jennie was finally able to build up the courage to speak first.

Jennie: So it's true then? Y-you really did murder Jisoo's parents?

Jiyong diverted his eyes from Jennie and nodded in shame. For a moment, Jennie was left speechless as her eyes welled up in tears. 

She couldn't bare to look at her father. The man who she has admired and looked up to her whole life. 

Jennie: I... I don't even know what to say...

Jiyong: I never meant for it to happen Jennie-ah... It was all an accident. I—

Jennie: Enough with your lies appa! I can't believe it... All these years, you... you were never the father that I thought you were... How could you?

Jiyong: And I've lived every day of my life in guilt for the past 4 years.

Jennie: But yet you did nothing about it! Why didn't you turn yourself in?! You've had so many chances! 

Jiyong shook his head.

Jiyong: I couldn't leave you and your mother alone. We were in a tough time back then, and you were still so vulnerable after your breakup--

Jennie: Stop making up excuses for your crimes appa! Y-you're a coward! I can't even bare to be in this room with you! 

Jiyong: Please Jennie, let me explain...

Jennie: There's no need for you to explain anything! Because of you, I've lost the one person I love most in this world! She hates me because of you! Because I'm your daughter!

Jiyong stands up in his in bewilderment. 

Jiyong: What are you talking about Jen? Did... did something happen between you and Jisoo?

Jennie releases a bitter laugh as her tears finally start to fall down.

Jennie: She wants to file a divorce...

Jiyong: What?

Jennie: She told me that she didn't want to force me to choose between you and her... She knew that I wouldn't be able to go against you... I... I lost her...

Jiyong made his way over towards his daughter and placed a hand on her shoulder.

Jiyong: That's where you're wrong Jennie-ah.

The younger looks up at her father in confusion, not sure of what he was saying. Jiyong gives Jennie a small smile before heading over towards his drawer and takes out an envelope. He walks back towards her and takes out the contents inside. 

Jiyong: I want you to look at this.

Hesitantly, Jennie reaches out and takes the papers from Jiyong's hand. 

Jennie: It's a contract?

Jiyong nodded as he walked back towards his chair. 

Jiyong: I don't know what Jisoo has told you. I don't know what she's thinking right now. But one thing I do know for certain, is that she loves you. 

Jennie shook her head, refusing to believe in her father's words.

Jiyong: There's something you need to know about your marriage Jennie-ah.

The younger glances at her father, her face stained with tears.

Jiyong: The reason... for your marriage with Jisoo was because our company was in debt. 

Jennie: W-what?

Jiyong: Your mother and I didn't want to tell you because we wanted you to focus on building the resort. We didn't want to burden you.

Jennie: I-I don't understand. What does Jisoo have to do with this?

Jiyong shuts his eyes and heaves out a long sigh.

Jiyong: I ran into Jisoo one day during a meeting with one of our investors who wanted to pull out of the company, and she immediately offered to help. The best solution that we came up with, was for you two to marry so that our companies can join together. 

Jennie: So all this time...

Jiyong nodded, confirming Jennie's assertions.

Jiyong: Kim Corporations was able to survive was because of Dream's support. Without Jisoo, we would've lost everything. 

Jennie: So that's why she married me...

Jiyong: That's how I knew that I could trust her. Despite knowing that she had cheated on you, I could tell how much she still loves you. Jisoo knew that marrying you would only cause you to hate her even more, but yet she was willing to do it in order to save our family. I know that everything I say now may not mean much to you... but you have to believe me when I say that Jisoo loves you. The person she hates is me... she's only pushing you away for the sole reason of not wanting to hurt you. You haven't lost Jisoo Jennie-ah. You never have.

Jennie stays silent as she was engulfed with a sudden surge of new love towards her wife. 

She blinks back her tears as she shifts her attention back towards her father. Examining the man before her, she couldn't bring herself to hate him despite all that he's done.

Jennie: Why did you do it? Why did you kill her parents?

Jiyong heaves out a sigh as he falls back in his chair.

Jiyong: It's a long story, and when I'm finished, you might not believe me.

Jennie: I'll listen to you. But you have to be a 100 percent honest with me appa. No more lies.