Chapter 27

Don't Deserve You

 

Lisa grabbed ahold of the handle and pulls the door open. 

She steps inside the eerily silent room. The only sound that can be heard was the steady beeping of the heart monitor. 

At the center of the room was a still a unconscious Jisoo, and seated by her bedside were Chaeyoung and Suho. Changmin who had also been in the room, had already left to go check on his patients.

Both Suho and Chaeyoung turn over to look at Lisa as she steps inside. 

Giving a light smile, she goes to sit down by her girlfriend.

Lisa: How is she?

Chaeyoung: Still the same.

Suho reaches for Jisoo's hand and takes ahold of it.

Suho: I wish she would just wake up. 

Lisa: Jennie woke up.

Chaeyoung turns to look at Lisa.

Chaeyoung: Is she okay?

Lisa nods.

Lisa: The Doctor said that she'll need to stay in the hospital for a week or so, so that they can monitor her condition as her breathing returns to normal.

Chaeyoung: That's good to hear. 

Chaeyoung sighs and turns back to look at her pitiful friend. Jisoo can never seem to catch a break in her life.

Lisa clears nervously.

Lisa: Um... so uh... Jennie is looking for Jisoo.

Chaeyoung: What?

Lisa: She remembers that Jisoo had saved her and asked me where she was.

Suho: And what did you say?

Lisa: That Jisoo was resting. But then she was trying to get out of bed and wouldn't stop until I told her that I'd go check to see if Jisoo was awake...

Suho massages his temples as he shares a glance with Chaeyoung, who was fuming with anger.

The younger girl took in a deep breath to calm herself down before replying to Lisa.

Chaeyoung: Why didn't you tell her that Jisoo unnie is on a business trip?

Lisa: I know I'm stupid. But she was trying to take off her oxygen mask, and the doctor said not to, and so I panicked...

Chaeyoung ran a hand through her hair.

Chaeyoung: We have to tell her something because Jisoo unnie is currently in no condition to see her.

Lisa: What do you expect me to tell her Rosé?

Chaeyoung: I don't know Lisa. Tell her that she's not welcome here.

Lisa stares wide eyed at her girlfriend's emotionless face. 

Lisa: What's gotten into you Chaeyoung-ah? All Jennie wants, is to see for herself that Jisoo is okay.

Chaeyoung: Well does she look okay Lisa? The reason she's here is because of Jennie.

Lisa: You're being unreasonable Chaeyoung. It wasn't Jennie's fault that the fire had started.

Chaeyoung: I'm being unreasonable? Then tell me Lalisa. Jennie has never cared about Jisoo at all for the past 4 years, she's never payed her any attention ever since they got married, and now she's suddenly worried about her?

Lisa: That's—

Suho: Jisoo!

The 2 girls's argument came to a stop as soon as they heard Suho. 

The older boy had stood up from his seat as he leaned over Jisoo's bed. She was awake. 

Immediately, Chaeyoung rushes over to her friend's side. A spark of hope lit up within her eyes.

Chaeyoung: Jisoo unnie! You're awake!

Suho: How are you feeling Sooya? 

Jisoo clenched her eyes in pain, causing Suho and Chaeyoung to worry.

Suho: I'm gonna ask you some questions. Blink once if it's a no, and twice if it's a yes, okay?

Jisoo weakly nodded.

Suho: Are you feeling any pain?

2 blinks.

Suho: Are you feeling any dizziness or nausea?

2 blinks.

Suho: Is it difficult for you to breathe?

2 blinks.

Jisoo moved , as if she was trying to say something. Reaching over, Suho takes the mask off her face.

Suho: You're in no condition to be speaking right now Sooya, if you had replied yes to all my questions then you need to rest as much as possible right now. You need to regain your strength before the surgery.

Jisoo: Let... me go... see Jennie, Oppa. She's gonna worry... if she doesn't see me.

Suho's eyes furrowed in disagreement.

Suho: Jisoo you need to have your surgery in the next hour. I can't let you tire yourself out, you're too weak.

Jisoo shook her head.

Jisoo: I'll be... fine. It's just... to assure her that... I'm okay and that... I'm gonna be gone for the next... month or so.

Suho: Ji—

Chaeyoung: You're not going anywhere Unnie. I won't let you.

Jisoo: Chaeng—

Chaeyoung: No Unnie. I've had it. You're not leaving this bed until you leave for your surgery.

Jisoo turns to face Suho and gave him a pleading look.

Jisoo: Oppa please. I have... to see her.

Suho shakes his head uncertainly.

Suho: I don't know Sooya. We can't risk it.

Jisoo: Oppa...

Suho looks into Jisoo's pleading eyes, before glancing at Chaeyoung. He eventually closes his eyes in defeat as he felt his resolve give away.

Suho: 20 minutes. 

Chaeyoung: Oppa! 

Suho: It's fine Chae, I'll make sure she's okay.

Chaeyoung: I can't believe you're siding with her! Am I the only sensible one here?!

Suho tiredly ran a hand through his hair.

Suho: I don't want to argue with you on this Chaeyoung-ah. I promise I'll make sure that nothing happens to Jisoo.

Chaeyoung: I can't believe you!

Suho: That's enough Park Chaeyoung.

Chaeyoung stares at the older boy incredulously, before walking over to a chair and sat down frustratedly. Lisa steps forward and gratefully looks down at Jisoo as fresh tears welled up in her eyes.

Lisa: Jisoo unnie...

Jisoo: Take me... to her. I want to see Jennie.

 

•••

 

Jisoo leans onto Suho and Lisa for support as they made their way towards Jennie's room. 

She was exhausted and her heart was aching more than she had let on. Clenching her eyes together, she tried to get a grasp of the pain.

Suho: We should've taken a wheelchair.

Jisoo shook her head.

Jisoo: No. She'll notice that something is wrong. I—

Jisoo stumbles a little, but was fortunately caught by Suho and Lisa. She blinks a few times and shook her head to shake away the dizziness.

Suho: How are you feeling Sooya?

Jisoo regained her balance and gave a slight nod.

Jisoo: I'm good Oppa. I'm good.

The 3 walked past a couple of more rooms before finally arriving at Jennie's.

Jisoo: You guys should let go of my hands. I'll walk in by myself. Plus Jennie wouldn't be too happy to see you oppa.

Suho and Lisa stared at her with worried faces. 

Suho: Jisoo you can barely stand.

Lisa: He's right Unnie. Let me walk you in.

The older girl shakes her head.

Jisoo: No, I'll be fine. I can walk myself.

Releasing a heavy sigh, Suho was the first to let go of Jisoo's hand. Lisa had hesitated at first, but then let go as well.

Jisoo takes in a deep breath before making her way into the room.

As soon as steps inside, Jennie's head swivels towards her direction. She gives the younger a small smile before carefully making her way over to the chair.

Jisoo: Nyeongan Jendeuk. How are you feeling?

Jennie looks down at her mask, in which Jisoo took as a sign for her to take it off.

Reaching over, she pulls the mask off Jennie's face.

Jisoo: How is it possible that even with an oxygen mask on, you still manage to look as beautiful as ever?

Jennie cracks a smile upon hearing Jisoo's words. The older has always had a way of making her smile.

Jennie: I'm feeling better now... How are you? I heard you inhaled some smoke as well.

Jisoo: I'm all better now.

Jennie furrowed her eyebrows together.

Jennie: Already?

Jisoo chuckles softly.

Jisoo: Yah, do you want me to continue being sick?

Jennie smiled and shook her head. 

Jennie: Of course not. I'm just glad you're okay.

Jisoo glances around the room, before asking.

Jisoo: Where are your parents? I though that they should be here by now.

Jennie: They're still touring around the world. I told Lisa not to notify them in case they might worry and hurry back.

Jisoo: You should at least call to let them know though. They might be even more worried if they found out from someone else or through the news or something.

Jennie nodded. 

Jennie: Okay. 

Jisoo smiles lovingly at the younger girl as she contemplated whether it was the right time to tell Jennie about her absence for the next month.

Jisoo: ...Listen Jennie-ah. I still have to go on that business trip that I had told you about a few days ago. 

Jennie nods.

Jennie: When are you leaving?

Jisoo: Today.

Jennie's eyes widen in bewilderment.

Jennie: Today? But you just got better.

Jisoo's eyes glazed with tears at Jennie's words. 

'Better.'

Jisoo: It's fine Jennie-ah. Besides, this trip is really important.

Jennie: How long will you be gone?

Jisoo: A month.

Jennie: That's... that's so long. I thought it was only for a few weeks.

Jisoo: Yeah... there were actually some complications. So it turns out I have to be gone for longer that expected.

Jennie stays quiet.

Jennie: So you're gonna be gone for a whole month?

Jisoo nodded.

Jennie: A month is a long time.

Jisoo: It's gonna pass by faster than you think.

Jennie: Do you really have to go? 

Jisoo looks down at her lap in order to conceal the tears she blinked away.

Jisoo: Yeah. I have to.

Jennie nodded.

Jennie: Okay.

Jisoo shifted in her seat. The pain of her heart was starting to become unbearable. 

She knew that she would have to hurry before Jennie notices that something was off.

Jisoo: Jennie-ah. While I'm gone, you have to remember to take care of yourself alright. Don't over work yourself, try not to stress too much, and don't let yourself get sick anymore.

Jennie laughs softly.

Jennie: Jisoo, I can take care of myself. You're talking like as if you aren't gonna see me anymore.

Jisoo laughs as she blinks away her tears. 

Jisoo: A month is a long time Jennie-ah.

Jennie stares at Jisoo's face and notices the thin layer of sweat on her forehead.

Jennie: Jisoo, are you okay?

Jisoo: Yeah... why wouldn't I be?

Jennie: You're sweating, and you look a little pale right now.

Jisoo: Oh... I'm just feeling a little hot at the moment.

Jisoo clears and glances at the clock.

Jisoo: Jennie-ah, I have to go now.

Jennie: Can't you stay a while longer?

Jisoo releases a shaky breath. She didn't want to leave Jennie just yet. Her heart may be in pain, but not being with Jennie hurts her more than that.

She gave the younger a small smile and nodded.

Jennie: Jisoo?

Jisoo: Hmm?

Jennie: Did... did you really cheat on me back then?

Jisoo shook her head.

Jisoo: No.

Jennie: Can you tell me why?

Jisoo: ... No.

Jennie: Why did you come back? To the company I mean... How did you know to come find me? 

Without hesitation, Jisoo answers right away. 

Jisoo: Because I love you.

Jennie stares at the older girl aghast.

Jennie: You... you... love me?

Jisoo gently took ahold of Jennie's hand.

Jisoo: I never stopped loving you Jendeuk-ah.

Jennie: You don't mind the fact that I'm still seeing Hanbin?

Jisoo shook her head.

Jisoo: It hurts me... to know that you love him. But all I want is for you to be happy Jennie.

Jennie closes her eyes and takes a deep breath.

Jennie: I can't... I still can't allow myself to forgive you. I want to put everything behind us... but I can't. It still hurts so much Jisoo.

Jisoo gives the younger girl a half hearted smile.

Jisoo: I'll wait.... I've waited for you for four years Jennie. I can still wait for you.

Jennie: What if one day I just disappear, will you still keep waiting for me?

Jisoo: If you disappear, I'll come find you.

Jennie: What if by then you won't love me anymore?

Jisoo smiles, and gently placed a kiss on Jennie's hand.

Jisoo: I'll always love you Jennie Kim, I'd search the whole universe for you. And if you want me to wait for you then I will. I'll wait for you for eternity if I have to.

Tears welled up in Jennie's eyes at Jisoo's confession. Her heart beated rapidly at the older girl's words.

Maybe she should give Jisoo another chance.

Suddenly the door to Jennie's room swings open as Lisa lets herself in.

Lisa: Jisoo unnie, it's time to go.

Jisoo nods and turns to Jennie.

Jisoo: I have to go now Jennie-ah. Will you be okay without me?

The younger girl nodded.

Jennie: I'll see you when you get back.

Jisoo gives her a small smile before replying.

Jisoo: Bye Jennie.

As she turns to walk away, Jennie had suddenly called her back.

Jennie: Jisoo-ah!

Jisoo turns back around to face the younger girl. Jennie stays silent as she takes in the sight of Jisoo one last time. She breaks into a small smile as she looks into the older girl's eyes.

Jennie: Thank you for saving me Jisoo. Thank you for being there when I had needed you most.

Jisoo's eyes glazed over with tears in which she rapidly blinks away.

Jisoo: Your welcome Jennie-ah... I'll see you soon.

Jennie returns her a gentle smile as she nodded softly.

Jennie: I'll see you soon.

And with her final farewell, Jisoo left the room. Lisa turns back towards her friend, and gives her a small smile.

Walking over, she sits down by Jennie's bedside and places the mask back over her face.

Lisa: She'll be back soon Unnie.

Jennie nodded before shutting her eyes.

 

•••

 

As soon as Jisoo had closed the door, she felt her knees weaken as she collapsed. 

Fortunately, Suho had been waiting by the door and had caught her before she hit the ground. 

Suho: How are you feeling Sooya? Talk to me.

Jisoo releases a shaky breath and shook her head.

Jisoo: My... my heart f-feels like it's a...about to ex-explode.

Suho: Come on, we have to start on your surgery right away.

Suho lifted the younger girl up into his arms before rushing off towards the operation room.

•••

Chaeyoung waited patiently outside of the OR. She has been waiting for the past 2 hours, but no one had yet to step out of the room.

"Chaeyoung-ah!"

Chaeyoung swerves her head towards the direction of the familiar voice.

Her face lights up at the sight of Suho's cousin, Hong Soojoo.

Chaeyoung: Soojoo Unnie?

The older girl approaches her and returns Chaeyoung a small smile. 

Soojoo: Hey Rosie.

Chaeyoung: Unnie, what are you doing here? I haven't seen you since...

Soojoo smiled sadly.

Soojoo: Since Jisoo had rejected my confession?

The younger girl nodded.

Soojoo: Junmyeon Oppa had told me what happened. Despite everything, I still care for Jisoo, Chaeng-ah. It's not her fault that she had hurt me. I had taken it upon myself by courting her when I knew she was in love with someone else.

Chaeyoung: Unnie...

Soojoo: I'm fine Chaeyoung. I'm just here because I'm worried for Jisoo. How is she by the way? I heard Oppa say that it wasn't good.

Chaeyoung sighed.

Chaeyoung: She's been in there for the past 2 hours. They said that unnie's condition was already bad when she was brought in.

Soojoo places a comforting hand on the younger's shoulder.

Soojoo: Jisoo will be fine Chaeng. I know her, and so do you; Jisoo wouldn't give up that easily.

Chaeyoung: I'm scared Unnie. What if... what if...

Soojoo pulls the younger girl into her embrace.

Soojoo: Shhh... Don't think like that, Jisoo is gonna be fine.

The doors to the OR had finally opened, but it wasn't Suho nor Changmin who had stepped out. Instead it was a nurse.

Chaeyoung immediately rushes over and stops the nurse on her tracks.

Chaeyoung: What's happening? Where is Jisoo unnie?

Nurse looks at her sympathetically before replying.

Nurse: The patient has lost a lot of blood, I have to hurry and grab her some more blood to transfer.

Chaeyoung got out of the nurse's way, who had immediately rushed away.

Chaeyoung stumbles in her place before falling to the ground. Soojoo bends down towards Chaeyoung and engulfs the younger girl into her arms as she broke down in tears.

Soojoo: It's all gonna be okay Chaeyoung-ah, everything is gonna be okay.

 

•••

 

3 hours later, Changmin and Suho had finally stepped foot out of the OR. The 2 doctors looked exhausted, making them seem as if they had aged over the 5 hour timespan. 

Both Soojoo and Chaeyoung had looked up as the 2 had approached them. Seeing that Chaeyoung was still too emotional to speak, Soojoo decided to speak for the younger.

Soojoo: How did the surgery go?

Changmin heaves out a sigh before taking off his mask.

Changmin: At first, the surgery had been difficult. Right when Suho had brought her in, I already knew that there would be complications... She had lost a lot of blood... 

Changmin pauses, causing Chaeyoung to look up.

Chaeyoung: ... And?

Changmin remains silent and exchanges a look with Suho.

Chaeyoung: Oppa...

Both doctors turn to face Chaeyoung before breaking into smiles. Suho places both of his hands on the younger's shoulders as he looks into her eyes.

Suho: The surgery was a success Chaeyoung-ah. Jisoo is okay.

Chaeyoung's lips quivered as soon as the words had left his mouth. Tears of joy poured down her cheeks incessantly as she she broke into a huge grin.

Chaeyoung turns to Soojoo who was also crying out of happiness. The 2 girls embrace each other as they cried into each other's arms.

Despite Suho's efforts to contain his emotions, rivers of tears had began to stream down his face as he stares at Chaeyoung and Soojoo.

Changmin swings his arm over Suho's shoulder, feeling the happiest that he's ever felt in years.

Everything had turned out okay. Jisoo was finally okay.