Chapter 13

Don't Deserve You

 

Jennie arrived in her parent's driveway. She didn't know why, but she felt nervous about this dinner with her parents.

She felt even more uneasy about what they want to discuss with her about. Jennie pushed her thoughts to back of her mind, thinking that she was just worrying too much.

Getting out of the car, she walked towards the front door of her parent's home and opened it.

Jennie: Mom? Dad? I'm here!

Mrs. Kim stepped out from the kitchen and smiled at the sight of her daughter.

Mrs. Kim: Jennie-ah just in time, I just finished cooking. Your father is in the dining room.

Jennie took off her shoes and walked over to her mother and gave her a hug.

Jennie: How are you Eomma?

Mrs. Kim: I'm fine dear. How are you? You must be stressed these days with the opening ceremony rapidly approaching.

Jennie: I'm fine Eomma. Just a little tired is all.

Mrs. Kim smiled softly while brushing the strands of Jennie's hair behind her ear.

Mrs. Kim: Well it's a good thing I made all of your favorite food today. You better eat a lot.

Jennie: Of course I will.

Jennie glanced over the kitchen before turning back to face her mother.

Jennie: Do you need any help?

Mrs. Kim: Oh yes. Could you actually help me bring the egg rolls to the dining room?

Jennie nodded before picking up the plate and followed her mother out.

Jennie set the egg rolls onto the table and took her seat on her father's right, while her mother took a seat on his left.

Mr. Kim who had been reading his book, looked up and smiled his daughter before leaning over and softly kisses her cheek. 

Mr. Kim: Hey pumpkin.

Jennie: Hey Appa. It's good to see you.

Mr. Kim: It's good to see you too Jennie.

Mr. Kim gave Jennie a tight smile, causing her to worry.

A second later, noticing the awkwardness in the room, Mrs. Kim broke the silence.

Mrs. Kim: Honey come one let's eat. Jennie-ah, eat a lot okay, I made this all for you.

Jennie: Thanks Mom.

 

•••

 

As dinner was coming to an end, Mr. Kim set down his utensils and calmly looked at Jennie.

Jennie nervously looked up, confused as to why her parents have been acting weird all night.

Jennie: Appa, is something wrong? What did you and mom want to talk to me about?

Mr. Kim shifted his eyes to his wife and exchanged a look that Jennie was unable to decipher. Jennie patiently sat in her seat and waited for her father to reply to her.

A few moments later, Mr. Kim turned back and faced Jennie.

Mr. Kim: Jennie-ah, your mother and I were wondering...

Jennie looked towards her parents anticipating their next words. Mr. Kim glanced at Mrs. Kim once more before continuing.

Mr. Kim: How would you feel about getting married?

The question caught Jennie completely off-guard, leaving her thoughts jumbled.

Jennie: What do you mean by getting married?

Mr. Kim: What I mean is for you to settle down.. and.. and start a family.

Jennie: I don't know dad. I mean Hanbin and I had wanted to take it slow. And even if I had wanted to, he hasn't proposed to me yet so I can't exactly get married.

Mrs. Kim took a quick look at her husband before deciding to speak.

Mrs. Kim: Your father isn't talking about Hanbin Jennie-ah.

Jennie started to get confused and looked at her parents in question.

Jennie: What do you guys mean? If not Hanbin then who?

Mr. Kim let out a sigh before answering his daughter.

Mr. Kim: The CEO of Dream.

Jennie took a while to process his reply. 

'CEO of Dream... As in... Jisoo??'

Jennie looked at her parents as if they had gone crazy.

Jennie: You guys are joking with me right?

Mr. Kim shook his head solemnly.

Mr. Kim: I'm afraid not Jennie-ah.

Jennie slammed her fork in the table.

Jennie: Are you guys serious right now?! Kim Jisoo?! You want me to get married with her?! After what she's done to me?!

Mrs. Kim reached for her daughter's hand, but the latter quickly pulled away. She turns to her husband, not knowing what to do.

Mr. Kim: Jennie-ah please calm down. Let us explain.

Jennie: Explain what dad? That you and mom are both pushing me into a life of imprisonment with the one person that I despise most in this world?

Mr. Kim: It's not what you think Jennie.

Jennie: Then please dad, enlighten me. What should I be thinking?

Mr. Kim: We know very well what had happened between you and Jisoo, Jennie. And we also know that you want nothing to do with her.

Jennie: Then why would you make me marry her?

Mr. Kim: Because we want what's best for you Jennie-ah.

Jennie scoffed.

Jennie: You mean by marrying me off to the person that has hurt me the most?

Mr. Kim sighed.

Mr. Kim: Jisoo had never meant to cheat on you Jennie, she had her own reasons. She is deeply sorry for her actions in the past and is still in love with you.

Jennie: What do you mean she has her own reasons? Dad, I clearly saw it with my own eyes. She had cheated on me with someone else! They were embracing each other in the middle of a café!

Mr. Kim: It's not my place to say Jennie-ah. But you have to understand. As your father, I would never marry you off to someone before making sure that they will be good to you and protect you. If I knew that Jisoo would be a bad spouse then I would never have even suggested or even think about the idea.

Jennie: But why Jisoo? Out of everyone, anyone that you could've picked... Why her? And what do you expect me to say to Hanbin? What about Hanbin dad? He's my boyfriend for god's sake!

Mr. Kim looked guiltily at Jennie, not knowing what to say in order for her to understand where he's coming from.

Mr. Kim: Look Jennie. All that your mother and I are asking from you is just to hold out for a few years. Marry Jisoo, and stay with her for about... 2 years... And after those 2 years, if you still don't want to be with her, then we'll allow you to file a divorce.

Jennie: But why? I don't understand why I have to marry her.

Mr. Kim: I-I can't tell you why Jennie-ah... It's complicated.

Jennie laughed bitterly.

Jennie: Oh okay, so you just expect me to marry someone that I have despised for 4 years, who has hurt me so many times, for a reason I don't--no--can't even know?

Mrs. Kim: Jennie-ah please, it's only for 2 years... we promise.

Jennie: But that's 2 years of my life wasted Mom! 2 years where I'll be living in hell!

Mrs. Kim burst into tears, and Mr. Kim hurriedly rushed over to comfort his wife. Jennie felt guilty for yelling at her mother and causing her to cry. But she was angry, and she had every right to be. This was her life, and her parents were asking her to waste 2 years of it married to Kim Jisoo.

Mr. Kim: Jennie, please. I swear, one day you'll be able to know the truth and by then you'll understand why your mother and I are doing this... But for now please, marry Jisoo.

Jennie stared at her father's desperate face and her mother's tear stained one. What was she supposed to do when they have asked this much of her. All her life, Jennie's parents had done so much for her, and she would do absolutely anything she can in order to repay them.

But was she willing to marry Jisoo and give up her own happiness? Jennie heaved a sigh and massaged her forehead.

Jennie: I-I...I need some time to think this over. 

Mr. Kim's face softened as he stared at his daughter. The latter looked so lost and afraid that the guilt was tearing him apart from the inside out. He knew that he was hurting Jennie by doing this, for once in his life, he was the one causing his daughter pain.

If there was any other way for him to solve this situation, then he would. But having Jennie marry Jisoo was the only way to save the company, to save Jennie. 

Letting his daughter know of the situation will only add on to the stress and worry that she has been harboring for the past few months, and he didn't want to do that. All Mr. Kim wanted to do was protect Jennie, and he knows that Jisoo was willing to do the same, and that she is the one person he can trust his daughter to. Because like him and his wife, Jisoo loves Jennie more than she loved herself.

After talking with Jisoo one afternoon, he was able to understand that the latter had never meant to hurt Jennie, and that everything had been one big misunderstanding. 

Though there was no solid evidence in the younger's words, and Mr. Kim himself still wasn't completely sure of the reason behind the misunderstanding; he knew that he could trust Jisoo. 

This whole situation not only made him feel guilty towards Jennie, but even more so towards Jisoo. He doesn't deserve her kindness towards his family, but yet she was willing to marry Jennie despite knowing that Jennie will hate her in the long run.

Mr. Kim slowly let go of his wife and nodded in reply to Jennie's previous statement.

Mr. Kim: Just take your time honey. I know how hard this must be on you.

He walked over and gave her kiss on her forehead despite noticing the tensing of her body as he pulled her in.

Mr. Kim: I'm gonna take your mother upstairs to rest.

Jennie nodded. 

Jennie: I should get going too then.

Mr. Kim patted her shoulder before walking back to Mrs. Kim who was silent during the whole exchange. She stared at Jennie's face was the tears of guilt continued to roll down her face.

Mrs. Kim: Thank you Jennie-ah.

Jennie smiled halfheartedly at her mother.

Jennie: Get some rest Eomma. I'll see you guys in a few days.

And with that, Jennie grabbed her bag and car keys, and walked out towards her car. She didn't know when, but before she had even started the engine, hot pools of tears were already streaming down her face.

She fumbled with the keys before inserting them into the key hole, and started driving to the only place she could think of. 

Jennie picked up the phone and dialed Lisa's number, but then set it down, not entirely trusting herself to speak to the latter over the phone without breaking down. So she drove, faster than she ever had before.

She just needed to get to Lisa. At the moment she knew that Lisa was the only person that she could talk to. She pressed on the gas pedal and drove. Jennie was going so fast she almost didn't see the pedestrian that was crossing the road. Quickly she slammed on the breaks, her head swinging back and hitting against her seat.

Dazed from impact, Jennie slowly looked to where the man had been previously as he was getting up from the ground. Despite Jennie's car being a mere few inches from him, the man seemed to be fine except for the angry expression displayed across his face. 

Man: Watch where you're going!

Jennie bowed her head apologetically as the man continued to make his way across the street. She leaned back in her seat while letting out a sigh and tried to catch her breath. Suddenly, the beeping of the cars behind her brought her back to reality.

Without a moment's hesitation, Jennie started her car and drove off.

 

•••

 

Lisa was getting ready for a date with Chaeyoung when she heard a knock at her door. Confused as to who it was, she approached the door of her house and peeked through. Realizing it was Jennie, she quickly opened the door and was met with the latter's tear-stained face. 

Seeing the current state of her best-friend, Lisa knew that she would have to cancel her date with her girlfriend. She took out her phone and dialed Chaeyoung's number.

Chaeyoung: Hey, I'm almost ready.

Lisa: I'm sorry Chaeng I can't make it tonight, something happened to my friend and I need to take care of her.

Chaeyoung's voice softened as she replied.

Chaeyoung: No, no don't be sorry. Just stay with your friend, I'll be fine.

Lisa: Thanks Chae, I love you.

Chaeyoung: Love you too. 

Lisa hung up the phone before looking back at Jennie. She stared at the girl who has been her best friend for the past 4 years. During the timespan of them being friends, Lisa has seen the older girl cry in front of her only once. 

But now here Jennie was, standing outside the front door of Lisa's house looking so broken and lost. Lisa extended her arms welcoming the older girl into her embrace.

Lisa: Come here unnie.

Jennie stood still for a second before rushing into Lisa's arms. And with that, Jennie broke down and allowed herself to cry inside the comfort of her best friend's arms.

 


 

Okay, so I managed to finish my homework earlier than expected today, and I figured that I'd write an extra chapter for you guys in order to make up for the slow updates. Once again thanks for reading everyone! <3