Encountering Darkness

My Boss and his Assistant

She stared at her reflection in the mirror. Her makeup was thicker than normal as it was intended to hide her puffy eyes and her color flushed face. Her hair was put into an elegant updo to tuck her lifeless dry ends away, only leaving a few wavy strands of dark hair to frame her face. Within a week, her collarbones protruded more than usual as evidence of her weight loss and it didn't help that her dress emphasized them. It was a wide necked mermaid dress, the silk sleeves sliding off of her shoulders while the rest of the black dress served to hug her body until it came to her knees, where it flared out into magnificent ruffles again down to the floor. She didn't think she was fit to wear the dress, she was too skinny and the dress had required curves, however Yuri insisted that it was eye-catching and different from any dress she had worn before. She ran her hand down the fabric of the dress that she had finally bought with her own money, her eyes downcast as she recalculated all the preparations.

She couldn't believe it herself, but she was put in charge of setting up the engagement party. Twisted really. The venue was ready, the catering was set, the dj had been consulted with the choice of songs, cake was bought, invitations were sent out, just like how she was convinced to buy the dress, Yuri had somehow convinced her to help with the planning of the whole event. How could she have refused, she had no reason to, so she agreed. One factor that played in her agreement however, was that she knew it would take her mind off of a certain someone. She was stressed out of her mind, but even when the day has come and everything was ready, she was still mentally exhausted. There was one last task that she was assigned however, the one that may have been the reason behind her somber mood.

She had to make sure that Seunghyun actually attended the ceremony.

She turned away from her reflection as she headed out the door, stopping short in her step as she neared the end of hallway. She inhaled deeply before she peeked into the room. She didn't have any intentions of stepping foot into it again but when she scanned it and didn't see any sign of him, she went ahead and entered. There she spotted his tall figure outside on the balcony. Her eyes widened as her fists drew together. She watched as he brought the cigarette that was between his fingers to his mouth, taking a long and slow draw of it before it was exhaled in a cloud of smoke.

"Put it out" she declared as she finally made her presence known to him. However, when he turned, there was no sign of surprise that he was caught. His eyes portrayed indifference, bringing deep sorrow to her for she knew that it meant he no longer cared. He turned back around, lounging lazily against the rails as he heard her march towards him.

He breathed out another puff of smoke, "I'll put it out once it reaches the bud," he answered nonchalantly. His eyes were set on the landscape outside his balcony, trying very hard not to glance her way. He could remember the way the dress hugged her and the shape of her face that looked so foreign with her hair put up for the first time. It took that very short span of time he had looked back when she had reprimanded him about smoking to drink in every detail about her. Nothing he has ever experienced with a girl before. He never cared about how long their toes were or how sweetly their lashes fluttered, but with her he had noted everything. With her standing by his side at that moment, to hell what someone as hot as Yuri looked like in whatever extravagant evening gown she bought.

"I told you I'd be down in a second," he had said, hating the way she was so close to him yet he couldn't hold her.

"You also told me you quit smoking" she pointed out disapprovingly.

"Yeah well, we told each other a lot of things that didn't turn out to be true."

She knew that he had directed that towards her who had expressed her affections towards him only to be so cold now.

"Why are you being like this?"

"Like you don't know" he muttered darkly.

"Look at me!" she demanded, fed up with his short sentences that were meant to hurt her yet he couldn't even meet her eyes when he said them.

"I can't look at you Yoona!" He finally straightened from his position as he glared at her, taking intimidating steps forward that caused her to back away. "When I look at you, it reminds me why I'm so depressed," he pointed the two fingers holding the cigarette at her. "I smoke because I'm depressed." Her back met the stone wall right by the entrance to the balcony. His arms stabilized themselves on both sides, trapping her there. "Smoking, smoking feels good, and I need to feel that even if it’s a few minutes. Your lungs fill with smoke, and you hold it there for a while, reveling in the feeling before the toxins move through your blood as you release it." He had whispered every detail into her ears, his warm breath making her shiver. He had pulled away just enough to meet the hand still holding the cigarette as he brought it to his lips taking a long breath before he turned his head away from her to expel it. She took this opportunity to snatch the cigarette out of his hand, successfully doing so as she ducked under his arms and away from his trap.

She kept him away with her arm held in front of her when he finally reacted and spun around to her. She could see that he was bewildered and angry yet she didn't care.

"I'm gonna take it" she announced.

"I don't care, I have a whole pack anyways." he scoffed at her failed attempt.

"No I'm gonna take this, as in, I'm going to try it"

The anger immediately disappeared, but his bewilder stayed along with concern as his eyes widened. "You're going to what?"

"I'm going to take a whiff of it" she repeated as if it hadn't been clear in the first place.

"No, Yoona, you can't. Stop joking around." he ordered her.

"Why not?! Huh?" she raised her voice. "I'm depressed too Seunghyun, I've been exhausted! Doesn't that give me a reason to do this? Why are you the only one allowed to numb the pain? I want to too!"

He studied her for a moment before he straightened himself out. "Fine, go ahead, try it."

Her eyes narrowed. "You don't think I will"

"If it's what you want to do then do it, I'm all about what makes you happy remember?" he taunted her.

She placed the cigarette between her fingers like she had observed so many times. She gave it a clumsy flick to clear the burnt fallout that was let to accumulate for a while now. Her eyes never left his after she looked away from the cigarette, slowly bringing it to . She felt the dry paper stick to her lips, noticing the way he tensed trying to keep himself from moving forward. She pushed it back a bit until she clenched it with her teeth wanting to see how he reacted. His lips parted and his eyebrows strung together, gambling whether he should stop her now because she will actually do it or to feel the satisfaction of smirking when she chickened out.

He was too late. She was coughing madly after she had taken the inhale. Nothing mattered at that moment, he darted towards her almost in tears that he had done that to her. He should have known that her stubborn mind would force her to do it no matter how much she hated it. He cupped her face in his hands as she tried to control her coughing. "Deep breaths Yoona, breathe in through your nose and exhale through your mouth." he had instructed as he bent down so that although she was trying to break free from his grasp, she would have to look at his face that was only inches away. She held onto the hand placed gently against her cheek as tried to calm her breathing, still feeling the disgusting taste of the cigarette on the back of . "I'm so sorry Yoona, never do that again, I'll quit smoking for good this time I promise. Anything. Anything for you to never act like that again. Please. I'm so sorry."

She swallowed her final cough as she finally peered up at him. She raised her arm in between them revealing the cigarette. "Put it out" she had said quietly. There was no hesitation this time as he squished it against the bottom of the ash tray. He stalked to the trash himself and took the packet of smokes out of his pocket, tossing it into the trash. He walked back to her who was the one leaning against the rails. They stood there in silence for a while before she spoke up.

"I'm sick of feeling like the weak one who gave up on this relationship when it got hard because in all actuality, I'm strong. I've learnt to deal with this crap myself, I didn't have anything to numb my senses, I felt all of it, and I felt it myself. I didn't have to turn to smoking and drinking because you can't be doing that forever. We're not children anymore Seunghyun, we can't just make rash decisions because we want to. We're adults and we have to deal with situations like adults. You have to analyze the consequences, look at what you're losing if you continue to act like this for something as unimportant as me. Your family, this huge business collaboration, security for a future. I can't make you any promises in the future and if you give up all that for me? I will feel like I owe you for the rest of my life. What was between you and I is over now, so now we go downstairs because the car is waiting."

She walked away from him first while he was left standing on the balcony feeling as if she had just ripped his heart out from his chest as she crushed his hopes of ever getting back together. He briefly closed his eyes before they opened again at the sound of her shaky voice. "I still care about you though, and maybe I always will. So please, never smoke again."

-----------------

The venue she and Yuri had spent a whole day searching for had turned out to be exactly like she had envisioned it. Beautifully polished white tiled floors sparkled under the giant crystal chandelier in the centre of the room. The lighting hadn't ended there however, the walls were hung with long strings of tiny diamond-like bulbs that glowed a much warmer tone than the white-light chandelier. It lit up the dimly lit room that was divided into its separate sections. There were round tables covered in cream colored tablecloths set up so that they were laid around a roomy dance floor. They hadn't just booked a room however, they booked the entire level, so every other little room was decorated with the same theme but served different purposes. There was a room where a bar was found to serve drinks, a room were gifts were stored, and a room filled with couches to lounge.

She had separated herself from Seunghyun once the valet had taken the car as she dashed towards Yuri first, complimenting on her absolutely stunning appearance. She was wrapped in a shimmering champagne dress. The top was a tight corset-like bodice that had gems and crystals arranged in breathtaking patterns before it dropped in a sparkling silk skirt that flowingly met the ground. She was no doubt the star of the night as her skin glowed due to the perfect choice of color that did wonders for her skin, the sun glittering off the dress. Her makeup emphasized her beautiful features and her hair swept to the side in big curls. Yoona gave her a quick embrace and a sincere congratulations before she dashed inside first, hearing Seunghyun caught with lovey dovey words from Yuri at the entrance.

Before one can step into the main room, they had to write their wishes for the couple on a flat stick that was put into a vase that would remind the couple of their love every day. She was perplexed when she stood there, tapping the marker on the table trying to think of something genuine and beautiful.

'Lean on each other always'

She knew it was lame and felt guilty for not thinking of something more thoughtful but she couldn't think of anything else as people stared at her weirdly, wondering why she was taking so long. Besides, it was the one thing she could never be for Seunghyun, a person to lean on, and truly hoped that he found that person in Yuri. Her tight chest was relieved when she spotted Jiyong looking like his usual charming self that was mingling with women. She stood there watching in awe, she had never seen him flirt with women which she clearly didn't understand because he was handsome and women always vied for his attention. Their hands couldn't keep themselves off him, laughing to whatever he was saying. He had taken a sip of his champagne, looking up to catch her amused eyes as she playfully wiggled her eyebrows. He laughed out loud, causing the one speaking to him to think he laughed at what she had said. She grew confused as to why he was leaving as he made his way to Yoona who welcomed him with open arms. He took in her image as he made his way towards her before his strong arms wrapped around her lithe frame.

She loosened her hug as she nodded in the group of girls' direction. "The perks of not bringing a date hey?"

He raised an eyebrow. "Who says I don't have a date?"

She cocked her head to the side, "Who?"

"You?" he posed it as a question, asking for her approval.

She lightly punched his arm, "Smooth Ji, a little late, but very smooth"

"That sounds like a yes to me" he winked playfully, "now let's get you a drink, you look like you need it."

"And this is exactly why I agreed" she took his arm gladly as he led them out of the bustling main room and into the empty room of the bar. She guessed that with the announcement that Seunghyun had arrived, everyone was waiting in the main room to greet the couple. She and Jiyong however would much rather dodge the fake excitement.

"Margarita on the rocks. No salt, extra lime" he had breathed out his order once they caught the bartender's attention.

She had never heard of such an order in her life as she raised her eyebrow at him. "Is that good?"

"It's fantastic" his voice curved in a confident smile.

She pursed her lips, "make that two please" she ordered in which she heard his laugh beside her. "What?" she mused.

"I don't think you'll like it" he bit down his chuckle.

She scoffed. "Just because I've never tried it doesn't mean I won't like it. Starting today, I will be more open to new drinks" she vowed.

"Oh really? What brought this on?"

"I don't know. I guess it’s just me letting go and starting fresh. If that means being more knowledgeable in drinks I've never heard of, then that's already a good start."

He smiled lovingly at her before their drinks were placed in front of them.

"Then cheers to a new start" he announced as their glasses clinked and she took a huge gulp of the drink. Her eyes widened as she turned to look at him, still drinking her margarita and his eyes crinkled with a smile as he did the same. Without meaning to, they finished the glass as she slammed it down onto the table.

"Wow" she whistled.

"Wow" he repeated, surprised that she had did a one shot with it.

"That is so good and... strong!"

"You handled it perfectly."

"And I'm going to handle the next drinks perfectly as well. Hit me up oppa"

He raised an eyebrow and observed her, debating whether it would be a good idea or not.

"We'll drink this one slow, I promise" she assured him knowing exactly why he was hesitating.

"Two long island iced teas please"

"Another reason why I want to learn new thinks, they all sound so y"

He laughed at her comment. "Can't wait to hear you say them"

"Loooong island iced teeeea" she emphasized making the bartender who could obviously hear their conversation chuckle in which a swift blush rose from her cheeks. Jiyong had an amusing time exchanging knowing glances with the bartender on her behaviour.

"Hey, don't encourage him" she gave him a quick smack. The bartender gave her a warm smile as he placed their drinks down then shuffled to the other side of the bar to give them their privacy.

"I am very impressed with the venue you chose, it's beautiful"

"Well thank you" she beamed. "I'm glad the whole floor is booked though, there are places to escape to when it gets too hard. Will you go with me during those moments?"

He didn't think too much of it but placed a comforting hand on her knee which made a quick burst of heat to rush through her which she didn't quite understand but it had felt nice. "Of course I will, I'll always be here when you need me. Has this week been stressful for you?"

"It has, but I managed. Next week is going to be even more stressful, I have to go apartment hunting. Would you be chance be able to come with me?"

"There has to be at least one day I'm free so that would not be a problem"

She gave him a wide smile, grateful that she didn't have to be visiting places she was unfamiliar with alone. "Thank you oppa"

"My my, what do we have here? And to think Seunghyun stood up for a no-good like you who’s already cozying up to another man"

Her head snapped up to that all too familiar voice, her heart rate picking up before it constricted in her chest as her eyes locked with the man who had casually strode in. The dark aura remained like it was a second skin on him and his smirk was slightly crooked giving in to the fact that he was slightly inebriated.

"T-Taecyeon?"

 

--------------------------

Tada!! Here is the loooong awaited chapter ! I am such a crappy author for making you guys wait for so long, I'm so sorry :( but inspiration doesn't come easy and it took awhile to get ideas together, put that on top of my summer job and i could hardly find time to update ! However, i believe the next update will come quick because i already started writing it! But anyways, here it is! Seunghyun's engagement party, and you can already see that Seunghyun isn't dealing very well with it, going back to old habits. Then we have Gyoon, her forever knight in shining armour! And dun dun dun, who could forget about Taecyeon, the man who pretty much brought Topyoon together on the night he harrassed her. The next chapter will definitely be a continuation of the engagement party, and a heads up, hearts are gonna break. Anyways, thank you all for leaving wall messages and comments, subscribing, and being patient with me :) You guys are truly the best!