Tears

My Boss and his Assistant

The buildings that blurred past outside the windows did not register with her as her mind replayed the scene in the hall.

She bit the insides of her cheek as if nothing had happened, standing with the circle of girls and the four guys that accompanied them. Everyone was awfully silent as they contemplated whether they should say anything to her. The problem was, no one knew what to say. The news had hit all of them like a storm and they didn't know what to think or how to react.

From the corner of her eyes she could see Seunghyun obediently standing by his mother's side and across from them was Yuri and her family. Whatever was being said, he held his head low as she saw graceful smiles and joyful laughter being exchanged between the two families. Yuri held onto her polite smile as she giggled here and there as compliments showered her way. The moment he looked up to turn his head her way, hers turned away. When she felt like it was safe to peek their way again, all she saw was his back to her as he walked away with them. She could feel the tears welling up in her eyes however before they could escape, his voice comforted her.

"I'll take you home"

Jiyong's hand laid soothingly on her back as she gave him a weak smile before he led her away

The leather seats of his chauffer's car were cold and she had shivered when she had climbed into the back seat but she made no complaints as the ride began silently. All that could be heard was the smooth buzz of the engine and the wind that swept past the car. He tried to stare ahead and give her the room she needed as he tried to distract himself with thoughts. However, all failed as he slowly glanced at her only to see her resting her head against the cushion of the window pane, staring blankly out the window. His heart lurched at the faraway sadness in her orbs and no matter how hard he tried to ignore it, the gleam of moist eyes did not allow him to sit quietly.

"Yoona" he finally spoke up in worry.

She snapped out of her thoughts at the mention of her name as she turned to him who was not so far on the other side of the seat.

"Hm?"

"Talk to me" he had spoken softly, almost carefully.

"I'm fine Ji"

"It's okay to cry"

She had shaken her head in response as she tried to pull off a somewhat decent looking smile.

"It's me" he had reached out to her as he saw her shoulders slowly slump in resignation.

"I-I-I'm okay" she persisted once more. When he had heard her voice crack he knew she needed someone. He gently pulled her over to him and was glad that she had not retaliated.

"I'm not okay oppa, I'm not" as soon as she felt the warmth of his chest she no longer put up a brave front as she finally broke down in his arms, staining his suit with her tears.

He held her head against his chest, softly playing with her hair as his other hand rubbed her back. "I know. I'm here for you."

The shaking of her shoulders settled calmly as the tears disappeared throughout the span of their ride, just in time as they arrive at the mansion.

He helped her wipe her tears away and fixed her slightly smeared make up. "Hear him out alright? Talk until you guys can't talk anymore. I know it's not going to be over this easily" he had confidently told her giving her a small surge of hope.

"Thank you oppa. I'll see you soon"

He nodded in response before the car door shut and she was already through the doors of the house. The lights were dim as she took off her aching heels. She didn't know where to head and just when she decided to step onto the staircase to his room, Choi Misook had emerged, calling her into her office. That was the first time his mother’s name ever came into her head, it scared her because she was no longer a person she wanted to be formal with.

She hesitantly agreed as she followed her into the daunting room. Without another word, Misook had headed to the desk as she leaned back on it, judging Yoona from head to toe as she closed the door behind her before standing upright in front of her.

"It's late and so I'll make this short" she had started

Yoona muttered a quick thank you.

"If you do head to his room, it'll be for one reason only"

"And what reason is that?"

"To end it"

Her word struck through Yoona as her head snapped up, open mouthed, ready to retaliate.

"Ah, but you will" she had not let her say what she was about to blurt out as if she could read her thoughts. She pushed herself off the desk as she walked towards Yoona. "He's a married man now"

Although she was rigidly still and her hands were intertwined politely in front of her, her reply was not cowardly. "He's not married yet"

She laughed cynically at her reply. "You are nothing. You will continue to be nothing and the ceremony will proceed on." Before Yoona could say a word, she had started circling in her step around her. "You may have Seunghyun deluded for now, however you will never get in between me and him. Soon he will realize that and he will continue being the good boy that he is."

"I don't have him deluded, I have him happy-"

"Happy? How can you be so sure? Who's to say that you're not just his shiny new toy right now? Have you even given a thought to the future?"

"I-"

"I know my son, and boredom seems to await him. He may become bored of what you can offer and what you can't. In my eyes, this is just a puppy love. It will never last because you aren't one that could give him anything."

She was silenced. She couldn't argue. How could she argue when they were facts that she had forgotten she hid in a box of denial stashed away in the corner of her brain.

She saw the impact her words had on Yoona and pushed her even farther. "But he and Yuri would become the most powerful couple in Korea. Imagine the prosper, the success, and the happiness that could be built between people of common lives. Don't you want that for him? Do what's best Yoona, I know you are lacking but you are far from stupid."

Her lips quivered as each word seem to tears her apart, "But-" she had weakly spoken up.

"Are you really going to stand in the way of such a hardworking, dedicated, and caring man who’s working towards a bright life?"

Guilt and recollection of who she was and who he was engulfed her. She shook her head as she looked sadly ahead of her. "Tell me. Tell me what I should say to him" she had conformed monotonously.

"You go to his room, you knock, and when you see his face, you tell him that he's going to marry Yuri."

-----------------------------------------

"Yoona" he breathed in relief to see her as he immediately brought her into a tight embrace.

Her arms had raised half way before she sadly remembered their fate. Struggling to not tear up, she had instead placed them on his shoulders as she pushed him away. He watched her as she made her way to the couch on the side of his room. He ran his hands through his already tussled hair as he breathed a sigh.

"Look, I know you're upset but I promise you I had no idea. It was on the spot and it was just my mother's way to get in between us. I assure you that I will never marry Yuri. I'm going to talk to my mother, I know I can get through to her-"

"Have I ever told you how I met Yuri?"

He stopped pacing back and forth as he stopped in his step, turning to frown at her due to the random question. "What?"

"Can you imagine someone as rich as her on the subway?" she started giggling to herself as she recalled the memories. "I saw it all over her face, she was uncomfortable but I could tell that it wasn't her first time. There was this man, creepy and greasy who was standing behind her. He was checking her out and kept sliding closer to her. She was trying to push him away politely but then he started touching her and she was reaching her limited patience. Just when his hands had traveled to her bottom she had turned around about to throw a stream of curses, I had already stepped in, twisting his filthy arm back. We had both shared a common smile before giving him quite the stern warning. I don't think he will touch anyone again."

"Yoona I don't-" he tried to interrupt.

"I had gotten off the train when I noticed someone following me, turned out to be her. She thanked me but I just brushed her off. The next day she found me at the place I was working at, told me she wouldn't stop pestering me until we hung out. She was the first person I had ever opened up to. The first person to stick by my side year after year."

He had walked closer to her once she finished her story, extremely worried at that her point was. "What... what are you trying to say?"

"She's a good person Seunghyun. The best actually"

He knew she was going to say that, he dreaded that answer the most and once he actually heard it from her lips, he dropped to his knees in front of where she sat.

"No. Please don't do this. Yoona, listen to me" he had reached up to cup her face, soothingly brushing his thumb across her cheek forcing her to crouch towards him. "I know what's going in that pretty head of yours," he had pulled her head so their foreheads touched. "You need to trust me. I can't promise you that it'll get easier but we'll have each other. What could possibly be worse than not having each other?"

"Seunghyun" her face was wet with tears as her words came through her short hiccups.

"Shh it'll be okay" he cooed her.

She swallowed as she shook her head against his. "No. Don't make this hard" she had stood up walking to the front of the bed leaving him dumbfounded on the spot.

"We're crazy for ever letting us go this far. I don't know what I was thinking. You- you mess with my head Seunghyun and you have me dreaming and hoping." Her voice was shaky yet firm. "It needs to stop. We both need to go back to reality."

He was no longer calm or pleading, he was now mad. "I've never felt more real than when I am with you! We were never dreaming, we lived it and we both enjoyed it”.

"Of course you're not the one dreaming! Why would you need to dream when you have everything!!" she raised her voice. "I'm the only one that’s dreaming. We won't last. When our relationship ends, you will feel like you've lost nothing. You'll be moving on with the company or happily with models and heiresses that are all over you. What about me? I will be the one that’s hurt! I will hurt way more than you and it's so unfair so let's end this now before I fall too hard!"

"Why do you let your head wander to nonsense like this? Huh?" he took an intimidating step towards her.

"Because I'm nobody! I want you to have someone you can come home to and be able to divide your stress with. Someone who understands business and strategy. I can't do that for you when we have nothing in common! I can't do anything for you."

"Yoona-” he came even closer to her.

"I just don't understand! Why do you like someone like me?! What do you see in someone like me-“

"I don't just like you, I love you!"

She froze as she stared at him. "What?"

"I love you"

She bit the insides of her cheek as she clenched her fists on her dress. "Take it back"

"No. I love you Yoona."

"Stop it" she had ended up pushing at his chest in anger.

"That's just it. I'm completely in love with you"

"I said stop!!" she was repeatedly pounding at his chest, “stop! Take it back”. He let her vent for a while before he grabbed her wrists and pulled her to him.

"I," he had leaned in, "love" speaking softly into her ear, "you" and then pulled away to look at her.

"No you don't" she tried to deny it one last time.

"But I do"

"Pabo... I told you not to"

"I never agreed"

"How could you love someone like me?"

He groaned, staring intently at her. "Don't you dare start"

With a moment of silence as he held her close, she finally opened again. "But I'm serious."

His throat had closed when he understood that this was the end of their conversation, he hadn't gotten through to her. "Don't do this"

"Shh" she caressed his face lovingly. "Please let me do this. I'm not going to cause any more problems for you. You don't understand how suffocated I will feel getting in between you and your future, your family, your life. Please just listen to me. Do this for me...Neh?"

His arms dropped to his side as his watery eyes mimicked hers.

"You'll get over me and you will realize that at this moment, you didn't make a mistake for letting me go"

He opened his mouth vaguely one last time to convince her however she had stopped him as she stepped to him, nose against nose.

She didn't know what had overcome her but there was a short-lived surge of strength within her that acted like a string to her heart. It pulled her close and tightened until she couldn’t do anything but find release in him. "Enough"

With her whisper, she had slowly pressed her lips against his. Although he knew it would destroy him to ever hold her close again, he couldn't help it as his arms wrapped around her waist as her hands ran through his hair. They were synchronized gently yet passionately as they poured their emotions into their last kiss. It overwhelmed her how hard her heart was thumping that tears started to leak from her orbs. He had tasted them just as she pulled away, immediately turning away from him as she started to the door.

"Goodbye Seunghyun"

He heard her say it before all he could hear was the door shut and the silence of his empty soul.

 

--------------------------

Hey guys, I'm back to update !! :) Is this what you guys expected of our loving couple? I tried to describe what both were feeling, especially Yoona as to why she decided to give up on them.... she knows he's too good for her... and since she knows Yuri well, she thinks that Yuri would fit him better. This does not mean that there won't be anymore Topyoon moments though so stay tuned to see what happens. Oh, and yes this means there will be more gyoon moments as well as some TopYul ! Thank you all for subscribing and commenting ! :)