The Light never Shines On Me

My Boss and his Assistant

She felt secure as she hid behind the other six girls as they walked into the massive main hall. There was light chatter as they entered, their heels clicking through the room as people turned to look at them, admiration was heard through smiles and polite bows before they resumed their previous conversations. As soon as she heard the room become a little louder again as it muffled the soft melody in the background, she emerged out of hiding and to the girls' side again as they walked further into the room.

He only had eyes for her as he discreetly glanced over to her, however his gaze lingered longer on her as she came closer. He gave a little smirk when she had walked behind him, giving him a light nudge before his head turned to focus on the gentleman he was talking to once again.

She couldn't hold her laugh as Yuri came bombarding towards her with excitement before she was tackled into a tight hug.

"Yuri! I didn't know you would be here tonight!" she beamed.

"Yeah, I guess its part of the business partnership or whatever"

Before she could say anything, she was taken by the hand and pulled towards other people by her. "Come, I want to introduce my best friend to everyone."

She didn't retaliate as she followed Yuri and mingled with other women and powerful figures. As she smiled and talked to everyone with Yuri accompanying her, she knew she was wrong. She may finally by use to his life, the new life of hers. Just as she was led away from the couple she and Yuri were talking to, her eyes widened when she realized that they were heading to a bigger group, the man leading the conversation of course, was Seunghyun.

"Yuri shi, is that you?" some gentleman in the group had remarked.

All heads had turned to the ladies' direction as they stared in awe at the successful yet breathtaking woman.

"Woah, make way for Yuri shi guys"

And of course as if instinctively, the group parted for them.

"And who is this with you?" they asked, gesturing to Yoona.

"Oh! This is my best friend, Yoona" she had introduced excitedly.

"Two beautiful women indeed, you two actually look like twins"

The statement had caused an eruption of laughter as the conversation continued to drift at their similarities. He who had stayed silent the whole time finally spoke up. "You know, me and Yuri also have something in common."

"Yeah being the most successful people in Korea, we already know"

"No, not just that. I also know Yoona"

His hand naturally reached over to her, wrapping around her waist as he pulled her to his side. Her eyes widened at his actions, she knew he wasn't allowed to do any of that as requested by his mom. She was about to interrupt him before he revealed anything more however he had already opened his mouth.

"She works for me" he gave her an assuring smile as he felt her relax in his arms.

She politely smiled at the crowd as she nodded in acknowledgement. Just to make sure there was no suspicion, his hand s around Yuri's side as well, holding the two girls by his side. Of course Yuri was shocked at first as she glanced up to him, but when he gave her a toothy grin, she found herself blushing as she looked away. She had heard him to be a player and that thought made her assure herself that his actions meant nothing.

"Lucky man Seunghyun, lucky man"

"Indeed" he replied with a twinkle in his eye and confident smile, that beknownst to either of them, made both women smile.

They were forced to separate as the crowd broke apart and enjoyed the company of others. After talking with the girls for awhile, she found herself wandering the party by herself as she checked out the refreshers table with the snacks and drinks that were placed at the back of the room. The end of the table led her to the large open doors of the grand hall they were in. She gave up on finding food and turned her attention to the front again where everyone was chit chatting away.

"Ahhh- mmphh" she struggled when she felt someone grabbing her wrist, and then yanking her through the doors that she had stood in front of. Her short scream was cut off however when she was pressed against him with him muffling with his palm.

"Shhh, it's me" he whispered into her ear with her back to his chest as they wedged in a tiny hallway that led to the janitor’s closet.

She shook off his hand from her face as she craned her neck to look at him. "Seunghyun? Are you out of your mind? What are you doing?" She scolded him in her loudest whisper.

A playful smile lined his face, immediately softening her up.

"Come on"

"But-" before she could retaliate, he took her hand as he quickly pulled her out and down several hallways until they reached an open room that led to a secluded balcony. She finally gave in as she followed him as they stepped outside, closing the doors, denying anyone else access to the balcony.

"What if your mom is looking for you?" she had spoken up the moment the doors closed as she turned to face him.

"How could I care about that when all I'm thinking about is you?"

He caressed her cheek as he slowly brought his face to kiss her.

"You're such a drama queen. We're in the same room you know" she had spoken up before he could reach her lips.

He smiled as his forehead leaned against hers, regretfully pulling away as he chuckled.

"Hey, isn't it my birthday? Don't I get to be whiny?"

She laughed. "Fine, that's all you get then. The right to by whiny is yours."

"What's this? I think i need to teach that smart mouth a lesson!"

"Too bad! You already told me what you wanted" She dodged him as she turned away.

"I take it back" he grinned as his hands wrapped around her back turning her to him. Her hands rested on his chest. He took this as a sign as he moved closer to her. Their faces were so close until she suddenly remembered something. Her eyes widened with excitement as she broke away, confusing him.

"Wait here" she had whispered before she dismissed herself.

He had leaned against the rails with a smile on his face, wondering what she had up her sleeves. Soon, he saw the door swing open as she popped through to him before closing it again. His eyes wandered to the object in her hand. A fair sized box wrapped in metallic blue paper, topped with a fluffy bow successfully peaked caught his attention.

She had the widest grin on her face as she presented it to him. "Happy birthday Choi Seunghyun!" she had sing-songed as she stretched out her arms to him.

"I said I didn't want anything" he had pouted at her, however, it was ignored as she pushed it into his arms.

He gave in with a shake of his head before he tore away the blue paper in anticipation. As soon as he unwrapped it and opened the box, his lips pressed together as he pulled out a picture frame hidden inside. It was made of standard wood, painted black. However the border wasn't just solid wood, it was made up of other tiny slots all around where small photos of different sizes could be added to surround the main picture. She could register the stunned look he had on his face as he stared it.

"I don’t have this many pictures to fill it with"

She clicked her tongue as she pouted. "That's why you double check the box to see if there's anything else in it"

Without another word he grabbed the box and shook it up, hearing small clanking sounds. He peered in it once again as he reached in. pulling out a hand written card. He flipped it open to find one sentence and that sentence only written in the middle of the card.

'Let's make memories'

Below was a small pocket. With a closer look, he made out tickets for what sounded like the name of a photo studio.

He pulled them out and waved them in front of her face. "You and me?" he questioned.

She looked down shyly. "It's up to you"

"Well then that means you better be by my side for a while"

She stretched out her arms as she pulled him into her for a warm hug. "I hope so," she smiled.

He took in her lovely scent as he kissed the top of her head, "I hope so too."

---------------------

She persuaded him to let her go back into the main hall a couple of minutes before he returned to avoid any suspicion which he hesitantly agreed to.

When he was left to himself, he leaned back smiling dumbly to himself pondering the perfect moment to announce their relationship tonight.

When he walked in again, the room was quiet as everyone had settled at their tables waiting for him. His mother at the centre of the stage had looked up proudly and gestured to him, introducing her son to the room as he strides confidently to his table right in front of the stage. He was surprised to find that Yuri was seated beside him as well as her parents.

"Now," her voice echoed throughout the room, "to commemorate our Seunghyun's birthday, who would like to dedicate a few words or performances?|

"You go first Mrs.Choi" someone had hollered from the back.

She chuckled openly as she agreed. "There is so much to say about my son. He has never, ever let me down and so quite naturally, he became the only person I could trust. I know that I can always count on him to make me the happiest mother in the world. It has been hard on us ever since my beloved husband and his doting father had passed away, but he has always made up for the missing presence in my life and the company's presence. I cannot be prouder that every year, he grows into an even more sophiscated person than the last. Just like previous years, I hope he can continue to strive for success and never disappoint me or the company. Hm Seunghyun?" She had given him a smile as she raised the glass of champagne in her hand into the air.

Although her words may have seemed perfect to everyone in the room, he did not feel one bit of emotion when she had glanced his way. Not when he understood her underlying message and her expectations for something he never wanted. He forced a smile as he raised his glass up as well.

"Happy birthday" she had cheered as everyone raised their glasses too and took a sip from it.

Yoona who had listened intently couldn't help but feel a deep sadness as she now understood how Seunghyun had become the way he was. She took a glance at Jiyong who was beside her and could tell that he felt it too as she reached over and gave his arm a comforting squeeze. He returned a grateful smile before his attention was up on stage once again.

"Yuri shi, would you like to do a performance?" Mrs. Choi had suddenly asked, taking her by complete surprise. However, the request was too earnest to reject and after whispered encouragements from her parents, she had no choice but to step onto the stage, giving a polite smile to Mrs. Choi before she sat herself at the piano.

She played a mesmerizing classical piece that showed off her smooth and fast fingers and by the end of it, a loud applause was heard from the room after it's trance-like state.

"This lady, young, but enormously talented in so many ways. Truly a well-rounded person. Successful, educated and elegant" Mrs. Choi had commented after the performance. "It must be truly tough to follow an act like that, however, I have been anticipating Miss Im's performance all night."

Seunghyun who hadn't been paying attention for the last few minutes was now wide alert at the mention of her name as his head snapped up to his mother's direction. She had a sly smile plastered on her face as she continued to single out Yoona.

Yoona on the other hand was frozen in her spot but she could almost feel herself glaring up at the intimidating figure even when she didn't mean to.

"I mean it is almost impossible to have someone so high class like yourself but not have any talents in the arts right?"

She understood her devious plans perfectly; to make a mockery out of her in front of highly respected individuals, to ridicule her and make her feel out of place, and to push her away or make Seunghyun realize that she was not one for him. The room was awfully silent as they searched around, trying to figure out who Miss Im was and why she hadn't stepped up already. Seunghyun clenched his fists on the table as he tried to prevent himself from turning to her, Yuri was just as confused.

"Maybe I have mistaken. I'm so sorry Yoona shi, I didn't know that you would have so little-"

Jiyong who could take it no longer prepared to stand up and come to her defense however she had stopped him as she stood up herself. The sound of the chair screeching had turned all heads including Seunghyun's who was now raging on the inside. He didn't know what she was doing but all he knew was that he wanted to stand and march to her side, pulling her out with him.

Mrs. Choi who was smirking victoriously, waited as Yoona slowly made her way to the open stage.

"Sorry to keep you all waiting, I'm just a little shy" she had apologized to the crowd and was relieved to see their sympathetic smiles.

"What will you be playing for us?" she had immediately asked.

"I don't know how to play the piano" she answered

"What? You won't be playing the piano? Then you'll be playing another instrument?"

"Anniyo" she answered quietly

"Ah, you're singing?"

"Ani"

Mrs. Choi began laughing, "Then why are you up here?"

"I'll be dancing" her confident reply had put an end to her laughing.

Seunghyun's interest was at its peak as he sat up straighter after her statement echoed through the room. Jiyong's eyes were glued to her with concern and the girls at the table anticipated.

"Yuri ah, will you play that piece you just performed for me?" Yoona had spoken up bravely.

"I'd be happy to" she replied with a huge grin and immediately rushed up on the stage to fulfill her favor.

Mrs. Choi breathed heavily as she saw Yoona's small triumphant smile as she glanced between the two ladies, bewildered by the exchange.

Yoona had taken her place on the stage as Mrs. Choi took her place off of it.

Just before Yuri's light tapping was created on the piano again, Yoona took a deep breath, recalling the melody she had just heard and glanced at Seunghyun, who was staring so deeply at her that her knees almost went weak, it also didn't help that her nerves were on overdrive at being on stage. Mrs. Choi looked on at the embarrassment up on the stage who had just kicked off her own heels in front of the crowd.

"Shameless" she had muttered under her breath.

She however was taking the moment to collect herself and when she finally looked up, her eyes sparkled as she gave Yuri a light nod. After the melody had resumed and everyone was waiting, she was up on her toes, doing a stunning ballet that had surprised all those that knew her. Ballet was not her strongest suit since she was a contemporary dancer but that didn't stop her. Instead, she had added leaps and twirls and leg extensions that compared to just a normal ballet, made it much more exciting and whimsical to watch. She moved in tune to the piano as she lightly flowed across the stage with such grace that people watched without blinking, afraid to miss a single step. Yes, she had been a little clumsy on a few parts, and although she was not the perfect dancer, her goofy grins whenever she did make mistake added to her charm.

Without her consent, as her legs were lifted off the floor once more, she was brought back to when it all started.

 

 

"I'm sorry Miss, but the only job offer left is the janitor position. It is hard work and for someone like you, I hardly recommend it-"

"No, it’s perfect, I'll take it"

The receptionist at the dance studio gave her a skeptical look and seeing that she was serious, breathed a sigh.

"Well then, you can start tomorrow"

She bowed repeatedly in thanks before heading out of the rotating doors as the receptionist sat there in awe at such a rare sight.

On the first day of her job, whatever happened in the rooms had not interested her as she solely focused on getting the floors shiny and the windows squeaky clean. However, it was after the first week that the music flowing through the small cracks under the doors finally caught her attention. Fearing to go anywhere near though, she had silently cleaned to the music. She had come across one room during her duties, and the slightly opened door was too much to resist that day and so without thinking, she quietly wheeled over the bucket of water and her mop. As she lightly craned her neck to see through the ajar space between the door and the mystery of the room, she caught a glimpse of the first boy that had ever made her heart skip a beat.

So much engrossed as she was in his steps that she let go of the mop, letting the sound of it hitting the ground interrupt his performance as he quickly spun around. She had bowed repeatedly in apology however it was met with a charming smile from him and a radiating blush from herself.

"D-don't let me interrupt you. I'm sorry" she was able to mutter.

"I was almost done anyways"

"That's too bad" her sentence had slipped from sooner than she had time to process what she had said.

He chuckled amusedly at her before walking up to her a stretching out his arm. "I'm Donghae"

She offered her hand bashfully to meet his, "Yoona"

"Do you dance Yoona?"

She shook her head shyly.

"Well then, come in"

 

 

When she had snapped out of her own reverie, she was very much glad that the anger that had developed from the remembrance of his name did not affect her performance as she ended it with a swift spin. She had found Seunghyun's burning eyes again and she realized that she was no longer dancing for Donghae, it was for him. With that, her anger had vanished as she smiled brightly, bowing to the audience who clapped thunderously. She had silently thanked Yuri who was cheering for her whole heartedly. She was much too overwhelmed to notice Mrs. Choi's threatening stare as she stepped back onto the stage angrily.

Seunghyun couldn't contain his happiness any longer as he had observed every muscle in her body move so delicately and beautifully as she danced. He stood up and grabbed the microphone that was on his table.

"I have an important announcement for everyone" his voice successfully calmed down the crowd as the noise was hushed and Yoona could finally focus on him again. Curiosity had taken over her overwhelming relief of performing however her gut had hinted to her what he was going to do

Everything seemed to stop around her as he spun to her with a genuine smile that made her realize the exact words that was going to escape his mouth. Her gut was right, however she didn't know whether to be happy or upset that he was going to reveal their secret.

"I am in a relationship with Y-"

"That is right ladies and gentlemen" Mrs. Choi had intervened quickly, cutting Seunghyun abruptly as everyone was torn between who to focus on. Unfortunately, it was Mrs. Choi they paid attention to as her next sentence flowed venomously out of . "Yuri and Seunghyun are engaged"

Jiyong swore he heard it.

He heard Yoona's heart drop onto the stage floor.

 

---------------------------------------

 

Hey guys ! How long has it been? Quite long but I am here with an update !! I will leave it up to you guys to consider what will happen between the 'happy' couple. It will be revealed next chapter which i have started working on already :P And yes, there is a new character in this chapter ! Lee Donghae. The story with him is not over yet, so stay tuned ! I did say that the last chapter was the calm before the storm, so watch out ! Thank you so much for the support, it means a lot to me ! Subscribe and comment <333 See you lovelies soon !