Time Machine

The promise made on that summer day

At the dining table, everyone is focused on their food. Silence engulfed the room for a good 20 minutes before Yuri spoke up. “This really feels like the past, when we are back from late schedules and ordered deliveries.”

Bottles were opened, soju, beer & soda drinks for those that can’t take alcohol well. Drinking and chatting on random stuffs, their topics were everywhere but they all carefully avoided the events happened in 2014. It’s like an invisible wall between them and they were unsure of how to approach it.

“Remember we had one of such session where we shared about of future dreams?” Jessica suddenly said.

 

Flashback

2013 Dec

Dance room

[MrMr] music playing

 

“1,2,3,4, Ya! Fany-ah, it not like that..”

“Aircon~~~”

“Sica-ah, hurry come over”

“Unnies, let’s practise a few more times then we can all go back to rest”

“Let’s order supper later!”

“Call!”

 

“Girls, gather over” Manager oppa came into the room and said.

Everyone gather around him, some were drinking water and some were wiping their sweat.

 

“Due to some reshuffling of schedules, tomorrow will be an off day for everyone. The dance practice will end now.”

“Yay!!” everyone cheered, giving hugs and hi-fives to whoever is near them and at the same time throwing glances at one another, only one person was oblivious to this glances.

“Yah! Get off me, you black kid!” Taeyeon shouted when Yuri decides to sneak behind her and make the kid leader piggyback her.

“Umma Taeng, I’m tired~~ carry me please~” Yuri said, mimicking Yoona’s choding voice which earns her slaps from Tiffany.

“Yah! Yuri-ah, stop that voice! TaeTae won’t be able to carry you. Walk on your own.”

“Unnie, let’s faster go home” Seohyun said and went to Yuri to accompany her.

“Yuri ah, let it go. Fany is just being protective of TaeTae…let it go” Yuri walk away while mumbling.

 

“Shall we have chimaek tonight? I will order now so that it will be in time when we reach dorm.” Sooyoung said and openly giving winks to the rest as someone was feeling sad after being chided by their T-manager.

“Okay! We can always sleep in late tomorrow” Hyoyeon replied with a wink.

 

Soon they arrive back at the dorm, everyone seem to be busy with something except for Yuri.

“Unnie, why don’t you go bathe first?” Seohyun suggest when she saw Yuri making her way to the living room.

“hmm...okay, I guess it’s faster that way.” Yuri replied

Once she step into the bathroom and the shower is turn on, everyone came out of their room and gathered together.

 

“Yah, is the cake in the fridge?” Taeyeon asked

“Yes, Unnie, I just check it just now. Ahjumma did well in hiding it, I almost couldn’t spot it.” Yoona replied.

“Was I too fierce earlier? Yuri looks sad after the ‘scolding’.” Tiffany asked, worried that she might have hurt her friend’s feelings although it was just part of the plan.

“Yuri unnie was at stage one earlier, she keeps mumbling to herself let it go” Seohyun said.

“It’s okay, we will make it up to her with the surprise!” Hyoyeon said.

 

Everyone hurriedly set up the dining table with the food they ordered, wines from Sunny’s collection and of course the specially ordered birthday cake for their black pearl. On the cake was a figurine with tanned skin, wearing bikini and holding a black pearl in her hands. When the shower was turn off, it a signal that Yuri is coming out soon. They switch off the lights and waited in the kitchen.

 

“Yah, what’s is this? A blackout?” Yuri said as she step out of the bathroom. She remembered the lights were still on when she went to shower. She walk towards to door trying to check on the switchboard, as she was passing by the dining area, she saw figures moving behind the kitchen door. Suddenly, the door opened and lights were switch on.

 

“AHHH!!!”

“Happy Birthday Yuri/Yuri Unnie!” everyone chorused.

“Yah! Did you guys plan this and when did I look like that?” Yuri asked, teary-eyed because she was touched that her members took the effort to plan this despite their busy schedule but the touching moment was ruined once she set her eyes on the doll, standing tall and proud on the cake.

“Everyday! That’s how you look like in our eyes!” Sooyoung doesn’t waste the chance to .

“YAH! Choi Sooyoung!”

“Unnie, calm down. You are always beautiful in our eyes!” maknae said while side-hugging Yuri.

“Eww.. maknae ah, when did you become so cheesy?” Sunny asked with a fake disgusted look.

“You are no better, Lee Soonkyu!” Jessica replied

“Maybe she got influenced by Yonghwa” Hyoyeon stated then fake a gasp as if she accidentally spilled out some secret.

“Unnie! We are just friends!” Seohyun replied while blushing.

“Aww..maknae still the best to me!” Yuri exclaimed and giving her a big hug.

“Group hug!!”

 

After taking 1001 selfies, they finally settled down to dig into their food and the cake. “Yuri ah, what did you wish for?” Sunny asked while cutting the cake for 9 people.

 

“hmm.. as usual, good health and safety for all of us, friends families and staff, a good script and..”Yuri answered

“Yah! The third wish should be kept secret if not it won’t come true!” Tiffany stopped Yuri from saying out her third birthday wish.

“Fany ah! You still believe in this?” Jessica asked, can’t believe that her fellow American still has this belief.

“Fany really still surprise us at times like this.” Taeyeon remarked

“Wae… It’s the tradition. Let’s just keep it that way.” Tiffany defend herself

“Yuri’s wishes are so boring…” Hyoyeon states

“YAH!”

“”But heartwarming! I haven’t finish my sentence!” Hyoyeon added cheekily, trying to bring up the mood.

“Unnies, you all still act like kids.” Maknae commented

“They are not kids, they are the gag duo” Sooyoung “dissed”

“And if you throw in Sooyoung & Yoona, that’s the resident pranksters team” Taeyeon’s score another with her witty reply.

“YAH!”

“Start acting like your age, kiddos” Sunny commented

“You danshin! Speak for yourself, you have been the fake maknae for the longest time!” Sooyoung rebutted which results in another bout of laughter

“Speaking of that, what are people of our age doing now?” Yoona asked

“In University? or some would have started working?” Seohyun replied while recalling what her friends were doing now.

“If we were not in SNSD, where do you think you would be now?” Jessica asked. That question got everyone to think deeply. If we had not passed the auditions and trainings, we would not have met one another…

 

“I hope to be an exchange student, maybe study in America?” Sooyoung said

“Maybe I will be in Uni, taking course related to diplomats?” Seohyun replied too

“I will probably be in a dance school?” Hyoyeon

“Maybe I am still in California, studying business and knowing nothing about South Korea?” Tiffany said

“I don’t know what I would be if I didn’t went for the audition” Taeyeon said

“You would have debut as a solo!” The rest answered.

“How can the world not hear of your voice!” Yuri explained. Even though TaeRi doesn’t seem as close as TaeNy, they still care for one another in their little own ways.

“What about you Sica?” Hyoyeon asked her longest time friend.

“Me? I used to not know the answer to this but now I am really interested in fashion. I’m thinking of starting my own fashion line, what do you girls think?

“OMG! Are you serious Jess?! I will be rooting for you!” Tiffany exclaimed

 

Everyone was busy with voicing out their opinions about this new business. They had graduates in the group, actresses, DJs, MCs and this is the first time they will have a business woman title. They were all chatting excitedly except for one person.

 

“What do you think, Taengoo?” Jessica noticed Taeyeon’s silence after she mentioned about her interest in fashion business. She knows what is going through Taeyeon’s mind as she had thought about it before.

“erm...I’m glad that you have a newfound interest, but..what about SNSD?” Taeyeon express her concern. As the leader, she needs to put the group’s interest as the first priority. Silence filled the room as everyone ponder on this.

“SNSD has been a big part of my life before and it will still be.. I hope to have your blessings and approval before I go about this. It’s going to be a whole new thing for me as well. But I will put priority for our group activities” Jessica said. Taengoo ah, I know what you are worried about, trust me I won’t let it happen to us

“Annyeonghaseyo Jung Sajangnim, So Nyuh Shi Dae Taeyeon imida.” Taeyeon said after some pondering. One by one, the rest of the members followed Taeyeon and Jessica knew that she had gotten her sisters blessing and approval to go ahead with her plans.

 

“Thanks girls! You don’t know how much this means to me, thank you so much!” Jessica said as they gather for another group hug.

 

End of Flashback

 

Right now, if i could right a time machine

And go to meet you

I wouldn’t wish for anything else

Before the memories become distant and fleeting

 

If there is a time machine, would our story be different?