Still Eight

The promise made on that summer day

Taeyeon was seated on the sofa stoning while Yoona & Seohyun were washing up the dishes. Thinking back the last half an hour brought smile to her face for the first time in the last few days. As expected, Maknaes are the bosses in SNSD...

 

After they had finished the porridge, Taeyeon being the unnie tried to take care of her dongsaengs by washing the dishes since they had already took the responsibility to take care of her and cook as well. But Yoona & Seohyun was adamant about not letting Taeyeon do any manual work because the doctor’s instruction was for her to have plenty of rest. So there, in SNSD dorm, three people were fighting over the dishes. It only came to a halt when Seohyun spoke, “Unnie, please get some rest. I don’t want to ‘unleash’ the pointy elbow.”

 

“Taeyeon unnie, or do you want to try Him-Yoona?”

 

“Ah..ah.. Okay. Gomawo, unnie will just sit on the sofa okay” Taeyeon hurriedly back off.

 

After washing the dishes, Yoona & Seohyun brought out some cut fruits as well. They sat on each side of Taeyeon on the sofa, none of them turn on the television because they knew too well that it would be covering with all the sad news of Jonghyun.

 

Suddenly, Yoona stood up and start rummaging the drawer. In there she found their latest album Holiday Night and play it softly. Returning back to her position, both Yoona & Seohyun was leaning on Taeyeon with their necks bend at unusual position so that it can rest on Taeyeon’s shoulder.

 

“Yah, why are you two leaning on me? Don’t your neck feel strain? I should be doing that you know?”

 

“Because you are unnie..we need our Taeyeon unnie” Yoona said

 

“And I need my Yoona unnie too. I need all my unnies because I am maknae.” Seohyun added. It’s their way of letting each other know that ‘you can count on me’ because I need you and you need me. The entertainment industry is tough, they have all been through rough patches at any one point but they all know Taeyeon had it the hardest. It’s in her nature to keep problems to herself, carrying the burden of everything but they have their own ways to let her know that it’s okay to share it with them. The future of SNSD will be carried by all members, not just her alone.

 

“Do you think Sica unnie will come back with Sunny unnie?” Seohyun asked after a long silence.

 

“I’m not sure, Sunny unnie didn’t mention that Sica unnie is with them..” Yoona replied

 

“Maknaes ah, it’s understandable if she didn’t want to.. You know..that incident that broke all our hearts.. It won’t be easy to overcome…eight of us were together to support each other but she has faced it alone...” Taeyeon said, feeling helpless that she as a leader couldn’t have done more to prevent this from happening.

 

Beep..Beep...click!

 

Three pairs of eyes look intently at the doorway. If there is such thing as eye power, the door would have melted under their intense gaze. Coincidentally, the song “Light up the sky” started to play in the background.

 

**Thinking ‘bout you, where were you?

I really haven’t changed

After we drifted apart, it was very difficult

Because I had to forget you

 

First to come in was Sooyoung, then followed by Yuri, Hyoyeon and Sunny. They were holding onto some bags of groceries and necessities. The expectation in their gaze fell when they only saw four people walking in and holding their gaze. With the atmosphere and song playing in the background, three of them were trying their best to hold back the tears that pooled in their eyes.

 

**Time passes by indifferently, the memories of our two hearts

Are drifting, I can’t let it go

But let’s trust it, the memories we were together for

Are clear

There’s something I want to say while looking at you today

Will you listen?

 

Sica unnie, will you listen to our explanation?

 

“Am I welcome in here?” A familiar voice can be heard in the dorm.


Car park


30 minutess have passed...Manager oppa was waiting in the company car for Sunny’s phone call.

“ya..what’s going on? Why haven’t Sunny called? aish, these girls..” getting off the car, Manager oppa decided to head up and check on them personally.

Imagine his horror?surprised? when he found the door ajar and inside eight girls huddled together, crying and laughing at the same time. Wait, eight girls?! But Tiffany’s in USA right now. Who is here with them?

“Ya, how many times must i remind you all to close the door? What if some ssang-ssang fan comes in? That’s is dangerous you know, did you forget about that time…..” Manager oppa had his tongue caught when he saw the eighth girl, Jessica.

“Sica! Omg, is this for real?”

“Annyeong oppa!” Jessica greeted with her smudge makeup.

Flashback

30 minutess earlier.. Seohyun could not believe her ears. Those were Sica’s unnie voice or am I hallucinating?

The moment she saw Jessica who was hiding behind her four other unnies, the floodgates of eyes opened. She couldn’t stop it and Jessica is the same, Maknae’s tears were her weakness. Sooyoung who saw the two of them crying, also started crying herself followed by Yoona. Seohyun step forward to embraced Jessica and soon it turn into a group hug with Jessica in the middle. Realising that their “never-cry-in-public” girls, Yuri & Taeyeon were crying, everyone cried even more.

It wasn’t until a good twenty minutes later, Hyoyeon spoke up, “Are we going to stand here and cry all night? I guarantee we wouldn’t look like the SNSD that the public knows tomorrow.”

As soon as Hyoyeon finish saying, a stomach growling sound can be heard loud and clear. Everyone turned their attention to their biggest shikshin, Sooyoung.

“...What? It can’t be helped that I am hungry now right?” Sooyoung trying to defend her hungry stomach with her flustered face.

“HHAHAHAAA!!” The rest burst out laughing, unable to stop and that was how Manager oppa found them.

End of flashback

“Sica ah, really good to see you again..i..i hope you girls will have a good chat okay?” He said carefully. Hoping that Jessica would give them a chance to explain the past happening. He had seen how torn they were during those times.

“Taeyeon ah, you feeling better? Do rest well okay? I will leave you girls to chat, if you need anything just call me. I will lock the door on my way out.Tomorrow you have to be ready by 9am.”

“Oppa, you’re still as naggy as before..” Jessica quipped

“Yah!”

“But i missed it alot” She hurriedly added with a cheeky smile.

“Take care!” He ruffled her hair before leaving the dorm.

“Girls, let’s go wash up first before having supper.” Taeyeon said as her leader mode kick in. The rest went ahead to their rooms and for a moment Jessica felt awkward standing there, not knowing what to do. Suddenly she felt someone grabbing her hand and leading her, it was Sunny.

“Hey, you don’t remember your room?” Sunny walk with Jessica to their room. Sooyoung was tagging along behind with Jessica’s luggage.

“I...”

“It’s safer to stay here with us.” Sooyoung assured.

“Thanks guys!” She said giving her two roommates the biggest hug ever.