Chapter 9

The Bird

Kelsi was woken up by Jimin shaking her. She looked around confused and he laughed.

“Oh good. We thought we were gonna have to carry you in.” Jimin joked before helping her out of the car. Yoongi and Junhong we’re leaning against the car watching her with an amused look. Yoongi nodded his head toward the building in front of them and led them towards it.

“Wait.” Kelsi said, slightly panicked, “Where’s my mask?” Junhong sighed and handed it to her. They waited a minute while the small girl got the mask secured onto her face.

They walked in and Kelsi was bombarded by loud voices.

“Tae give me back my stuff! Hyung!” Jungkook whined from another room.

“Namjoon! You broke another plate?” Jin was yelling from the kitchen.

“It slipped!” Namjoon explained. Hobi came over and hugged Kelsi tightly. He greeted her loudly and brightly.

“Holy you really are the sun.” she breathed. Even though she spoke quietly all of the conversations in the house were cut off.

“Is she here??” Tae called as he rushed into the room, “Hi I’m Taehyung-“

Kelsi cut him off with an awkward giggle, “I know who you are.” The rest of the members came into the room and grinned at the girl.

“She’s a fan,” Jimin explained.

“Woah. That mask is creepy.” Jungkook muttered.

“I know right.” Kelsi laughed.

“It’s cool.” Hobi chirped. Kelsi’s eyes ran over each of the members and she sighed in content.

“You guys are so pretty.” she uttered. Her phone buzzed seconds later making her yelp in surprise and drop it. Jungkook’s hand shot out and caught it before glancing at the screen. His eyes read over the notification and burst into laughter.

“Who is ‘idiot unicorn’?” he asked, his question barely intelligible through his laughter. Kelsi pulled her phone out of his hand and saw the text from one of her friends back home, Anthony.

바보 일각수: You alive?

She typed back a simple “barely” and then looked back up at Jungkook wondering how to explain to him. The simple way or the confusing way.Kelsi you’ve just met them and you’re already thinking about how you can confuse them? Duh.

“My oppa that I met in America,” she said after a second. Not a lie. He is older than her and she did meet him in America. She saw by the looks on their faces that she successfully confused them. What she didn’t understand was why Yoongi looked so annoyed. She also didn’t understand how someone who looked so upset still looked so… Attractive. Kelsi was too busy checking out Yoongi to notice that Namjoon saying her name till the third time he said it. Her gaze jumped to his, eyes wide at the serious tone in his voice.

“Sorry I just needed to get your attention, do you have a sec?” Namjoon asked, nodding his head towards the kitchen.

“I have a lot of secs.” The second the words left her lips she felt her cheeks grow warm, “Oh. Oh no. That’s… That’s not what I meant. I meant-“ she took in the man's amused expression and sighed, giving up, “Sure. I have a sec.” She followed Namjoon into the kitchen and he smiled at her.

“First things first it’s really nice to meet you.” He put a hand on her arm and she internally screamed. Kim Namjoon is touching my arm. Stay. Calm.She beamed at him her eyes falling onto his dimples. Holy this man is so beautiful.

“It’s nice to meet you too you’re even prettier in person!” she blurted then laughed awkwardly, “Wow. I should really stop… Saying things.”

He chuckled, “Okay so like I just wanted to warn you that things get chaotic in here really fast and I don’t want you to be overwhelmed.”

“Oh no it’s okay I expect it to be pure chaos,” she assured him.

“Yeah, I just wanted-“

He was interrupted by Jin yelling, “Do I need to separate you two??” Namjoon’s eyes found the doorway, sighing.

“Eomma is mad.” Kelsi giggled. The two of them walked back to where the other members were to find Jimin and Jungkook arguing. Yoongi walked between the two and shoved them apart.

“Go,” he said quietly, his voice firm, pointing to chairs on opposite sides of the room. The younger members huffed but listened to him, “You.” He pointed at Kelsi. Her eyes widened and she lightly touched her pointer finger to her chest in silent question, “Yes. Sit over there.” He pointed to the couch. She made her way over to the couch and sat down, “Everyone else sit wherever the you want.” he muttered, following Kelsi’s path to the couch. Tae and Hobi rushed over and plopped down on either side of Kelsi, “Except there. Both of you move.” They pouted but listened to the older member. He walked over and sat next to Kelsi. Junhong chuckled.

“Can sit there?” he questioned. Yoongi looked up at the tall boy and pointed to the spot next to him.

“You can sit next to me .” he offered quietly. Junhong walked over and settled in next to Yoongi. The other members found spots around the room before looking at Kelsi.

“So, Skye, tell us about yourself. Don’t leave any details.” Jin prompted. Kelsi scratched the back of her neck uncomfortably.

“Uhh... My name is Skye. I do the singing thing… And the rapping thing-” Yoongi sat forward, propping his chin in his hand.

“She did First Love.” He pointed out. The other members of his group made a surprised noise.

“I’m okay at the dancey-dance.” she continued on, telling them about her siblings and a bit of her life back home-- not too much of course. She talked about the other members in her group, her best friends. She expected the boys to get bored quick, her life wasn’t that interesting, but they all listened intently as if it was the coolest thing in the world to hear about.

They had her telling stories late into the night until felt like sandpaper. Her voice cracked for the hundredth time and the boys realized that she would at least need water if she was going to continue talking. Junhong stood up and offered Kelsi his hand. She took it and let him pull her up and into the kitchen. He rummaged through the cupboards looking for the glasses as she hopped up onto the counter.

He found the glasses and after filling one with water handed it to his mentee. She smiled at him and took a long sip.

“Look, I’m as tall as you now.” Kelsi giggled, sitting up straight on the counter.

“Don’t get used to it.” he joked, tapping her nose. Kelsi did her best not to hyperventilate, “So, what’s your story?” he asked.

“I’ve just been telling you guys it.” She cocked her head to the side.

“You think I didn’t notice that you were only telling good moments?” He raised an eyebrow. She looked down at the tiled ground. There was a long pause.

She shrugged and looked back up at him, “Maybe I’ll tell you someday.” The two of them stared at each other for a second till Junhong nodded.

“How do you feel?”

“About all of this? Honestly? I feel like it’s a dream. A really really good dream that I’m going to wake up from one day and have it all be gone.” she explained, running her finger around the rim of her glass. Her mentor laid one of his hands on her thigh and her brain went into panic mode. Uhh okay, Junhong is touching me. What do??

“You feel pretty real to me,” he said, and then his hand was gone.

“What’s taking so long?” Tae whined as he walked into the kitchen, “Oh good you got water.” He put his large hands on Kelsi’s hips and helped her off the counter then took the hand that wasn’t holding the glass of water, “Do you play video games?” Kelsi nodded, once again freaking out internally. Tae’s eyes lit up, “You wanna play some with me?” Kelsi giggled and nodded again. Tae led her out of the kitchen and towards the stairs.

“Yah! Where are you taking her?” Jin called.

“We’re just gonna play video games,” Tae explained, pulling Kelsi up the stairs.

“I wanna come.” Jungkook blurted and rushed to follow them.

The three of them played video games together for a while till, while they were waiting for a game to load, Kelsi fell asleep on Tae’s floor. Namjoon came into the room, ready to tell the three of them that he wanted to sleep. He saw the small sleeping girl on his floor and chuckled.

“I was going to tell all of you to go to bed but it looks like Skye already beat me there.” He mused. Tae paused the game.

“Yeah she fell asleep a little bit ago, we were trying to be quiet,” Jungkook explained. Namjoon crouched down and scooped up Kelsi in his arms.

“I’m gonna put her in your bed, you okay with staying with Jimin tonight?” he directed the question at Jungkook who blushed.

“I mean if I have to,” he muttered.

“He can just stay in here and you stay with Hobi if you don’t-“ Tae started to offer but Jungkook cut him off.

“No. It’s okay,” he said quickly.

Namjoon carried Kelsi into Jungkook’s and, after a lot of struggle and some help from Jungkook, laid her on the bed. He pulled the covers up over her small body then lightly ran his finger through her hair. He put his fingertips on her mask and a light voice from the doorway protested. Namjoon turned to see Jimin standing there.

“I was looking for Kookie. What are you doing?” he questioned.

“You just missed Jungkook, he went to your room. She’s staying in here and Jungkook is gonna stay with you tonight. I was going to take her mask off so she’d be more comfortable.” Namjoon explained, gesturing to the sleeping girl.

Jimin shook his head, “Just leave it alone. She’ll take it off when she’s ready.” Namjoon hesitated but listened to Jimin. Jimin left to go find the boy he was apparently sharing a bed with. Namjoon turned the light off and left the room, closing the door behind him.