Chapter 7

The Bird

The three men walked into the room and saw the glass window leading to where Skye is. She looked nervous, but not as nervous as she was. Her mentors looked at the small girl through the glass. She radiated fake confidence.

"I'm sure Skye briefly mentioned to you what's going on." The bubblegum rep said, calling the idols attention to her, "but what the girls don't know is what happens is totally up to you. She's going to perform four songs for you and then you guys get to decide if you want to keep her. She can't see us, she sees a mirror." The three idols glanced at each other for a second before taking their seats. Yoongi slipped Skye’s phone out of his back pocket and set it on a table. Seconds after he set it down, the screen lit up with a text and he peered down at it.

Hellish Child (Naomi): I know I said some but you're going to do great. You're extremely talented and I'm glad that you're my older sister. If you repeat any of this ever I'm killing you in your sleep :)) Go get em kels

Azael: KELSI HOLY you're in ing KOREA akdjeofjwb your life is about to change for the better I'm so proud of you noona!!! KICK

Not completely trusting himself to translate it properly, Yoongi nudged Junhong to have him translate the text for him.

Junhong peered over his elder's shoulder, his eyes scanning over the two texts before cocking his head to the side, "I... Don't understand part of it to be honest but it seems like someone is telling her good luck."

"Who?" Yoongi looked up from the phone at the taller man.

Junhong shrugged, "I have no clue it sounds like one is her little sister. And the other used noona so probably a younger boy? Maybe her younger brother? But it's weird, they called her Kelsi." They shared a confused look before the Bubblegum rep told Skye that she could start.

They turned back to their mentee and sat back, ready to finally see what she’s made of. The petite girl nervously fiddled with her mask before dropping her hands to her side, "Hi, my name is Kelsi Skylark Emerson, otherwise known as Skye.” Junhong nodded a little, understanding the text a bit better now. Skye- Kelsi - continued on, “I'm the youngest in Maisha, I'm 17 in American terms 19 in Korean. I was born and raised in upstate New York. In Maisha, we don't really have... Specific parts we just do a little bit of everything but I have the highest voice. I'm fluent in English and Portuguese and I speak Korean, I don't necessarily know how good I am but people seem to be able to understand me and I can understand them. I know a bit of Japanese, I'm working on that." Mr. Kim's eyes traveled over her.

"Your leader took her mask off," he noted, sounding unimpressed.

"I know." she chirped. He blinked at her and looked down.

"You gave me the tracklist so you should know all of the songs on there, correct?"

Kelsi shrugged, "More or less."

"Your first song is track 13." A small smirk grew on her lips.

"Beautiful Liar by Vixx LR. Mari and I did this as a duet," she explained. Right before the music started she pulled her mask off and set it aside then took her hair out of the bun, her long purple hair falling around her shoulders. She sent a knowing look at the mirror, knowing that her mentors could see her. The three idols chuckled to themselves. The music started and she started singing the first part. The voice on the track changed to her members' voice as the deeper rap part came on. Her high notes intertwined with the slightly lower notes her member was singing on the track. The music continued on, her and the voice on the track melting together beautifully. She slowly let herself get lost in the music, her voice becoming stronger with emotion. Before she knew it the song was ending.

Mr. Kim glanced back down at his list, “Next is either 11 or 32., you pick.”

"11. Black Widow by Pristin." The music started and she focused on getting the moves right while staying in tune. Her eyes were bouncing around the room, trying to make sure she was in the right spot. She realized her movements were slightly mechanical and reminded herself to relax into the music, let it surround her. It was her eyes that were messing her up. She was nervous, her eyes were conveying that. She let her eyes close as she swept her arms through the air. She knew this dance so well she could do it with her eyes closed, so why shouldn’t she? As the song faded out she opened her eyes, gaining back her breath.  

Mr. Kim told the girl to pick two more songs from the track and her eyes lit up.

“Track 3 I believe, Fantasy by Vixx.” She knelt down on the floor as the music started playing softly. Kelsi decided last minute that she was doing her freestyle she did for this song a while ago and not the original choreography. Risky. But she liked simply following the music with her body more than the normal choreography that Vixx did. She was preparing herself for the lower notes when she heard her other member Cora’s voice start on the track. She forgot she asked her to help so she didn’t strain her voice. Breathing out a sigh of relief she sang the higher notes in the background.

"She really can't sing as low as Ravi." Mr. Kim mused, “She didn’t sing his part with the other song she did either.”

Her producer shot him a look, "She told you she has the highest voice, low notes aren't her strong suit. If she tried to sing as low as Ravi does in this song she’d strain her voice,” her producer glanced at her mentors, “I’m sure Jimin can’t sing as low as Yoongi,” she paused for a minute as Jimin shrugged and nodded, “And Junhong can’t sing as low as Yongguk.”

Junhong chuckled, “Hyung has a very low voice, probably lower than Ravi’s.” He turned his attention back to Kelsi as she got up off the floor smoothly. She moved as if the music was pulling her with each note. Her eyes were closed again. His eyes stayed trained on his mentee's figure impressed with how well she did the dance with her eyes closed for most of the time but also critiquing her in his head. As the rap part started he was surprised to hear her rapping rather than one of her members. He glanced over at Yoongi who had his head tilted to the side slightly, also looking shocked. She finished the song and took a deep steadying breath before uttering the last track number she wanted. She shook out her hands then stood waiting for the music to start. The second the first note hit Yoongi knew this was his song. He sat forward, suddenly intrigued. He'd never heard his song in a female voice. She sang softly at first, hesitantly, till her voice slowly swelled with emotion.

"Without you, I am nothing." She moved her hands in front of her as she got more into the song, "After the dawn, two of us we welcomed the morning together. Don’t let go of my hand forever, I won’t let go of you again either." She sang, slowly getting louder and louder. Occasionally she would take a step forward or a step back to emphasize a part. Jimin looked over at Yoongi along with Junhong who seemed confused on why Yoongi was suddenly so into it.

"This is Hyung solo song," Jimin whispered to the youngest who nodded.

“Sh." Yoongi hissed, not taking his eyes off the small girl.

"So don’t ever let go of my hand. I won’t let you go ever again either. My birth and the end of my life. You will be there to watch over it all." She hit the last part of the of the song and ended it with the same short breaths that Yoongi did when he sang it which made him chuckle a little, "In the corner of my memory a brown piano settled on one side. In the corner of my childhood house, a brown piano settled on one side." Her voice was soft and thick with emotion as she ended the song. Her hands immediately found each other in front of her and she started fiddling with her bracelet.

“Your dance movements are mechanical at times.” Mr. Kim noted.

The girl's cheeks took on a like shade of pink, “Dancing isn’t my strongest talent.”

“Make it your strongest talent. As an idol, you have to be good at everything from the start. Work on it. Don’t let that happen again.”

“O-okay.” She gave a fierce tug on her bracelet, accidentally snapping the fragile gold chain and along with it snapping her composure. She quickly left the room breathing deeply, wishing she still had her mask on.

.