Chapter 4

The Bird

After her mentors brought her to the hotel the girls were staying at and told her that they’d be back once she got settled so they could talk more Skye had peeled off her mask and immediately got into the shower.

Thirty minutes later the white tub and the fluffy white towel she had wrapped around her long hair were both tinted purple. She took her phone out and opened Snapchat. Holding down the button she twirled around slowly showing her room.

“So this is my hotel room, so cool I know. I will be vlogging while I’m here I just need to find out what I’m allowed to tell you guys first so I’ll keep you guys posted,” she said as she recorded. She posted that video to her story then tossed her phone onto her bed.

She stood in front of the long mirror leaned up against the wall in her room, another towel wrapped around her body, and worked on getting her silver and black mask back on. It was a process due to the silicone and she had to do it properly and take her time if she didn’t want it to fall off. She heard the door to her room open as she was trying to secure her mask on.

Assuming that it was just her best friend she called, “Hey babe,” and continued working on her mask.

“Who’s babe?” a male voice asked from behind her. She jumped and whirled around too fast, tripping over her own feet. As she stumbled she realized she could either hold her towel up or her mask.

She chose her towel.

The metal mask thudded to the ground as she fell face first into the soft carpet. She rolled over onto her back, still clutching her towel, and huffed. She peered over at the door and saw her three mentors staring at her in shock. Her heart sped up as she realized that she didn’t have her mask on. Stupid. Stupid . For a split second, she wished that she had held onto her mask instead of the towel then thought of the way that would’ve gone.

She would be sprawled out in front of her mentors.

Was it bad that she sort of would rather that happen than this?

“Are you okay?” Junhong asked. She let out an awkward laugh.

“Uhh yeah I’m good,” she muttered uncomfortably, waiting for their reaction to seeing her without her mask on. She glanced at Yoongi who was completely emotionless.

“You have pretty eyes,” he stated.

“Thank... You?” She continued looking up at the three men, still waiting for one of them to say something. Jimin and Junhong just continued smiling at her and Yoongi walked over to offer her his hand. She let him help her up and adjusted the towel around her, “That… That’s it?” she asked.

“What else do you want me to say?” Yoongi raised an eyebrow at her.

“Oh I don’t know how ‘bout ‘you’re white??’”

Jimin laughed, “We brought a bunch of ramen because when we ran into one of your members and got your room key,” He flashed the thin card at her, smirking, “She said that you like ramen.” He walked over to the table in the hotel room while Junhong went to go boil some water. A smile lit up Skye’s face.

“You should probably put some clothes on.” Yoongi pointed out. Her smile dropped as she cursed and quickly grabbed the outfit she was planning on putting on before rushing into the bathroom.

She shimmied into her tight black crop top and pulled on a pastel pink skirt with suspenders attached on top of ripped black stockings. She took a deep breath, looking herself over in the mirror. Her hair was soaked. Did she have time to quickly dry it?

She heard one of the boys hiss in pain and another snapping to be careful and decided she probably shouldn’t keep them waiting that long. She walked back into her room and watched as the three men tried to make room for all of them around the table.

“Yeah no that’s not going to work, we can just eat it on the bed.” Skye chuckled.

“Okay just like… Careful. It’s really hot.” Junhong mumbled, cradling his hand to his chest. Yoongi rolled his eyes and handed him a cold water with the instructions of ‘hold this on it’.

They all got settled and started eating in silence for a minute.

“So, who’s babe?” Junhong asked, breaking the silence.

Skye giggled softly, running her fingers through her wet hair, “I thought you guys were my group mate Mari.” she explained.

“You call your members babe?” Jimin asked, cocking his head to the side. Skye locked eyes with him.

“Don’t you?” she questioned innocently. A light blush colored Jimin’s cheeks. Yoongi chuckled quietly, “Speaking of Mari though, I should text her seeing as she’s doing her audition today.” She pulled her phone out, clicking the button on the side to make the screen light up.

“Hyung is your background?” Jimin asked, peering over her shoulder. Her hand tightened around her phone. Yoongi leaned over to look at a selca from when he was blonde.

“Is that from when I was filming Agust D?” he questioned. Skye nodded.

“I’m… really glad that I changed my lock screen to that.” she breathed, “It was Tae Tae oppa hugging you from behind before.” She unlocked her phone, trying to hide the screen this time. Jimin grabbed her hand and turned it so he could see.

“Junhong is your background too? What about me??” Jimin exclaimed. Junhong, like Yoongi, leaned over so he could look at a picture of him holding his dog.

“You and Yoongi oppa were my lock screen once.” She shrugged, “I uh… I’ve been putting Yoongi oppa and Junhong oppa as my backgrounds since I was in my… Sophomore year of high school? So for a couple years. I change the pictures often.”  She tapped on the iMessage app and her thumbs flew across the screen as she typed out a couple texts to her best friend.

“'Jagiya'?” Jimin asked, still peering over her shoulder at her phone. She sent the texts and clutched her phone to her chest pouting at him.

“Stop it,” she whined. The three men laughed as the small girl pouted at them. She looked back at her phone to switch to a group message thread and her thumbs started quickly typing again.

“Who are you texting now?” Jimin questioned.

“My siblings. Telling them I’m not dead,” she explained then locked her phone and set it down next to her.

“You have siblings?” Yoongi questioned.  

“Yeah, I have a younger brother and a younger sister. My brother is one year younger than me and my sister is two years younger than me. ” Skye stabbed her chopsticks into her ramen a couple times.

“So are you ready for the audition?” Jimin asked, his voice showing his excitement.

“Uh… In theory?” she breathed.

“Do you need to practice more is that it? We could help you.” he offered. Skye was already shaking her head before he finished.

“No, I’m ready in that aspect. I know every song on the list by heart. Mentally I’m not ready.” she explained, glancing up at her mentors. They were nodding, remembering the anxiety they felt when they first started.

“I’m sure you’ll do great.” Yoongi shot her a small smile.  

Junhong nodded, “Yeah, don’t worry. Just remember that we’ll be there cheering for you the whole way.”