Chapter 10

The Bird

The next morning some of the boys were waiting for Kelsi to get up. Junhong had stayed over also and was leaning against Yoongi, half asleep. Jin, Namjoon, and Hobi were playing on their phones while they waited. The maknae line was still asleep.

They expected to have a confused girl wander downstairs and then remember what happened the night before.

Things didn’t go that smoothly.

Kelsi’s alarm went off making her original mentors laugh. The other members that were up recognized Hobi’s and Yoongi’s voices and chuckled. That laughter was cut off the second they heard the soft thump accompanied by a groan. The five men ran upstairs and burst into Jungkook’s room, frightening the still groggy mentee. She had her face covered with the blanket and was on the ground.

“What are you doing down there?” Hobi asked.

The girl huffed, “I fell.” Her voice was muffled due to the blanket. A small hand came out from underneath the blanket and pointed up at the loft bed, “So high. Why high? Who put me up there?”

“Uhh I did,” Namjoon admitted.

There was a short pause before she demanded, “How the did you do that?”

“I mean you’re not heavy or anything so it wasn’t hard,” he muttered, trying to push away the thought of him struggling to climb the ladder while holding her.

“Don’t lie to me.” His face took on a light shade of pink.

“Okay, I kind of struggled.”

“He almost dropped you like three times.” Hobi chirped. Namjoon whined in protest muttering something about I thought we agreed not to tell her that.

“Is that what these bruises are from?” Kelsi asked, peering at the bruises on her legs.

“No that’s from when he actually dropped you.” Jin pointed out, making Namjoon cover his face.

“You dropped me?” Kelsi snapped. Yoongi burst out laughing. It was kind of amusing once you got past the anger in her voice. This small girl in a pile of blankets was yelling at them after falling out of bed because her alarm was two of the members acting weird.

Namjoon tried to explain himself and calm her down, “I didn’t drop you. I-“

“Wait. You lost your grip on my legs and they hit the stupid ladder thing,” she stated.

There was a short pause before Namjoon admitted, “Okay maybe. But how did you know that?”

“I thought it was just another dream that Kim ing Namjoon was taking me to bed and accidentally dropped me but apparently not.” Kelsi huffed.

“Do you often dream of Namjoon dropping you on the way to bed?” Yoongi questioned.

She sighed, “It happens more often than you’d think.”

“You dream about me?” Namjoon asked, the smirk on his lips showing through his voice.

Kelsi cleared awkwardly, “Someone gets me my mask.” she instructed, deliberately ignoring Namjoon’s question. The answer was yes sometimes she did. More often than she would like to admit. Yoongi picked up the black mask off the floor and gave it to her under the blanket, “Thanks. Now get out.” This was a completely different side of her that they haven’t seen yet. Last night they saw the bubbly sweet Kelsi. This is anything but bubbly and sweet. They all left and went back downstairs.

A couple minutes later Kelsi came down with her mask back on and a small smile on her face, “Sorry. I’m not a morning person. Especially when I fall off a bed from high up in the air.” she muttered as she sat down. She looked around the room, “Where’s Yoongi oppa?” she questioned after she didn’t find him.

“He said he needed to go do something quick and would be back later,” Hobi explained. Kelsi couldn’t hold back her disappointed sigh.

“So I leave soon,” she said, all the happiness deflating out of her voice.

“Well, you’re coming back right?” Jin asked.

She nodded, “Yeah I’ll be moving here at the end of June.” The boys started asking her some more questions, making her tell more stories. The front door opened and Yoongi walked in. Kelsi trailed off the sentence she was saying and her gaze met his. He tossed her a small box.

He expected her to catch it.

Once again it didn’t go as planned.

The box hit Kelsi in the face as she flailed trying to catch it. It pushed her nose ring into her face making her wince in pain. They all had different reactions. Junhong asked if she was okay. Yoongi cursed. Jin tried to hide his laughter. Namjoon told him to be more careful. And Hobi picked up the box off the floor and handed it to her. She adjusted her nose ring and then opened the box. She saw the thin gold chain and her lips parted. It was her bracelet that she had broken, completely fixed. Her gaze met Yoongi’s and he looked uncomfortable.

“Okay one… I can’t catch so like don’t ever throw anything at me again. And two thank you so much.” she breathed. He rubbed the back of his neck.

“Yeah sure. It’s really not that big of a deal. It’s obviously important to you so I figured I’d get it fixed.” he mumbled. She took the bracelet out of the box and tried to put it on her wrist, fumbling with it. Yoongi knelt in front of her, taking the bracelet out of her hand and clasped it onto her wrist easily with his long nimble fingers. He sat on the floor in front of her chair and leaned against her legs. The maknae line wandered downstairs.

“Skye! How’d you sleep?” Jungkook asked.

“Good until I fell off your damn bed. Why is it in the air?” Jungkook’s eyes widened.

“You… Fell off my bed?” Kelsi nodded.

“Skyeeee,” Tae took her hand, “When can we see you without your mask?” She pursed her lips.

“Come with me.” she decided, pulling him towards a different room, “Namjoon oppa too,” she called over her shoulder.

“What?? Why can’t I come?” Jungkook whined, pouting.

“Tae beat you more often than you beat him last night. So he gets to see first.” she giggled.

Once the three of them were in a separate room Kelsi pulled off her mask, her eyes trained on the ground, “My name is Kelsi Skylark Emerson. Skye is my stage name.” Tae gripped her chin in his hand and lifted her face up so he could look at her properly.

“You’re super pretty.” he decided after looking at her for a minute. He dropped his hand and her eyes flickered over to Namjoon who was looking at her with wide eyes and nodding.

“...Okay why did I expect this to go much worse than it did?” she mumbled.

“I think the issue isn’t more what we think it’s more the kpop industry.” Namjoon mused, “Because I think most people wouldn’t care about the fact that you’re white with the exception of a couple people who are stuck in old ways. But the fact that you’re trying to get into kpop, there’ll be some backlash. But you’re beautiful and talented. And you actually speak Korean. So hopefully they’ll be able to accept you.”

“You’ve never seen me perform? How do you know I’m talented?” Kelsi cocked her head to the side.

Namjoon shrugged, “Yoongi hyung seems impressed. That doesn’t happen often. You must be talented.” The door burst open and Kelsi yelped, covering her face.

“It’s just me,” Junhong reassured her, “We gotta go.”

“But why?”

“Well, Yoongi hyung got a call that said you need to go to the photo shoot for your teaser photos and I want you to meet your other mentors first. So we’re going to my house for a bit and then to the photo shoot.” Junhong explained. Kelsi hooked her mask back on her face and took Junhong’s waiting hand. He pulled her out of the room and towards the door.

“Aish would you stop pulling the poor girl around?” Jimin huffed, following the pair.

“Where’s Yoongi oppa?” Kelsi asked for the second time that day.

“I’m right here, Skye Bird.” Yoongi’s deep voice came from right behind her. Her heart sped up in her chest at the nickname. Kelsi yelled a quick ‘goodbye’ over her shoulder as she was pulled out the door.