Chp 8

The rich and the poor marriage

"Sinb! Sinb!" Yuju called after Sinb but Sinb kept running. She didn't know where to run to, but she just knew that she had to run away from that place. The truth was suffocating to her.

"Let her be." Umji said.

Yuju faced her. "Are you kidding me? What if she does something bad?" 

"She won't. I know her too well. I'm her friend for so many years already. She won't do anything wrong. She just need time alone." Umji had tear in her eyes.

"Umji, what is all that about just now?" Yuju plopped down beside Umji.

She sighed. "First of all, I'm not Umji, but Kim Yewon. I know Sinb for a long time. We were friends since we were born because our parents were long time friends with each other. One day, we had to go overseas because my dad was posted to America so we were separated. Though we were separated, we still kept contact with each other. But when i was about 10 years old, the contact with Sinb was cut off. I haven't heard of her since then. When i was 14 years old, my dad told me that we were going back to Korea. He then told me about Sinb. While we were in america doing so well, Sinb's dad lost his job when someone framed him. My dad offered a job to them but they declined. At the same time, Sinb's mom had cancer. The bill was rather high for them to afford. I also found out that my parent loaned them money so that they could afford to pay the medical bills. He told me that i was going to be in the same school as Sinb." 

"I didn't expect us to be in the same class. I spotted her at the corner of the class room not caring wheather i was a transfee anot. I then decided to introduce myself in another name, to see if Sinb knows that i'm the Kim Yewon instead of Umji. I guess i changed alot, since Sinb didn't recongised me at all. I tried hard to be her friend again as Umji. She changed totally. From a beagle kid to a mysterious teenager. I had a difficult time to become her friend, but i guess sitting beside her had gave me a little benifits for her to open up to me."

"She did finally. Sometimes she would talk about Yewon, which surprised me since i thought she had forgotten about her. I feel gulity sometimes when she says she miss Yewon when Yewon is right infront of her. Sinb's parents actually committed sucide once they paid off my parents. Their neighbours smelt a rotting smell from their house and called the police. That was when my parents were informed too. But i still don't know why would they commit sucide... sinb must feel so heart broken right now.." 

Yuju absorbed everything that she heard. "So.. what should i do now?" She asked.

"Nothing. Wait for her to go back home. Let her be alone. Do not worry to much about her. She is sensible enough. Just comfort her when she just cries out. Don't be fooled by her face. Inside, she maybe crumbling down." Umji adviced.

"O-oh okay.. do you want me to accompany you here?"

"It's okay Yuju unnie. You should just go back home and wait until Sinb come back." Umji stood up and bowed to Yuju who nodded back and walked home.

===

Sinb stood at the rooftop. The cold wind blew on her face. The words that Umji said kept replaying in her mind like a broken tape. Her tears had long stopped when she ran all the way. Appa, Eomma, you two are so cruel to me. You know how much i missed Yewon and yet you didn't let me know where is she. Then, you dumped me to the Choi family to get married to Yuju unnie. You two left our old house and moved somewhere else, not a trace to be found. Now, both of you left this world for good by suciding. Are you that bad? You always say that whatever you do is the best for me and my welfare. So by leaving me and this world is the best for me? What were you thinking? Sinb thought and sighed.

She put her hands into the pocket of her jacket and felt the paper Umji had gave to her. She decided, after the funeral ends, she would then go home and read the letter. Tomorrow night. Her mind was not strong to read the letter now. She needed time.

She sat down on the floor of the rooftop. "Why sucide? I remember that i would do anything for you right? Well, now, i don't. You lied to me. I really hate you to so much." Sinb forced a chuckle before leaning her head against the wall. "I hate you so much.."

===

Meanwhile, Yuju is madly pacing about in her room. Sinb had not come back nor picked up her call. Usually, sinb would answer her call immediately, unless there is school. Yuju was worried about where was Sinb. She had tried to find her but she was not familiar around Sinb's hometown. It was almost 12 hours since Sinb left. Thats right. It was midnight already and Yuju knew Sinb did not bring any money with her. Did she eat well? Where is she going to sleep? Or will she suci- No she won't. Yes that's right. Yuju, trust your soon-to-be wife. Yuju kept overthinking until she decided to give in to her tiredness.

===

It was daytime when Sinb woke up to the blinding sun. She wiped the stains of tears from the day before and decided to go back to the wake. After all, today was the day where their body will be cremated. It was the last time she would be able to see them.

She tiredly walk back to the wake, massaging her shoulders. She had apparently slept in the most uncomfortable position. Her neck was pratically twisted when she slept.

"Sinb ah!" 

There was already people there, Umji and her parents, as well as some others who was going to carry the coffin to the bus later for cremation. Sinb walked pass Umji and went directly to where her parents were sleeping peacefully in the coffins. She felt her tears drip again. One last tear. That is the one last tear i am going to drip for them. 

And then, when that last tear dripped, she wiped it and bowed to her parents respectfully, before letting the people carry the coffins away.

"Sinb ah.." Umji called out but Sinb ignored her.

Sinb walked pass her and followed the people out. She wanted to make sure they were doing a good job.

"Eunbi." This time it was Umji' parents who called her.

Sinb ignored them as well. She was hurt. Hurt that everyone lied to her all this while. Her second most trusted family she would open up is to Umji and her parents.

"Eunbi." They called out again. "Sorry." Mr Kim said.

Sinb faced them. "Why? Why lie?" She asked in the coldest tone she could ever find.

All of them flinched. "I-it's my fault... i started the lie first. I didn't know it would escalate that big. Sorry Sinb." Umji guiltly apologised.

"Yeah, she asked us to play along. We should actually forced her to tell you the truth when you two first met. Sorry." Mr Kim said.

"Uncle, Auntie, you should have told me soon when Um-Yewon actually brought me to your house. Telling me now, isn't bit a little too much?" Sinb replied.

"5 years. All of you tricked me for 5 years. And do you know how much i missed you? Do you know how much i wanted to rant at Yewon, who knows me the best? Because the stress it alot, so much that i feel like dying. Am i suppose to be glad that Uncle, Auntie and Yewon is back?" 

"Eunbi, we are really sorry about that. We will make it up to you." Mrs Kim said.

"What? By money?" Sinb smirked.

"I don't need it. I just need support from my second family." Sinb stepped forward and hugged them tightly. She felt warmth again, a different one, neither bad nor good.

"Sinb, i can finally say this out to you. I really missed you so much. You changed alot." Umji said once they broke the hug.

"You too. I didn't see any resembalance to your younger self. You grew much prettier." Sinb complemented.

"So, what about Yuju unnie?" Umji asked.

Sinb kept mummed. "I don't know. I need more time alone after this... i am not ready yet." 

===

"Sinb!" 

It was close to midnight when Sinb appeared at the door of their room. Yuju got up and immediately embrace the younger girl. Sinb reprociate the hug but broke it after that.

"Where were you? Do you know i was worried about you?" Yuju reprimanded.

"Sorry. I just need time alone." Sinb was guilty that Yuju had to worry about her.

"It's okay. Glad that you came back. Take a bath and rest." Yuju ordered and Sinb complied.

Sinb entered the bathroom and undressed, taking out the letter and placing it on a shelf, so that it would not get ruin by the water. It didn't take long until she came out and sat on the bed. Yuju was on the bed, reading a motivational book.

"Sinb, let me dry your hair so that you can sleep faster." Yuju bookmarked her page and went beside Sinb.

"Thank you... you are such a nice girlfriend i could ask for.. you would be living your life even better with another person you know.." 

"Ya! I love you okay? I will never leave you! I will only be with you forever." Yuju slapped Sinb's arm. She was mad at how Sinb thinks.

"S-sorry..." Sinb hid her head on Yuju's shoulder.

"It's alright. Let me dry your hair." Yuju lifted Sinb's head and procceded to dry it.

Sinb laid limp, contemplating if she should open the letter. She did finally. Taking a huge breath, she opened the letter.

Our dear Hwang Eunbi,

If you are reading it now, it means that we are no longer in this world. We are very sorry to leave you all alone in this world. Perhaps we already did when we gave you to the Choi family. We are sorry for everything we have done but all of that are the best for you.

First of all, we are sorry to lie to you about the Kim family. If you don't know what we are saying, ask Umji. She knows everything. But we should tell you that we had contact with the Kim family. We know, you hate lies alot and once you know the truth, you would most probably hate us right down to the core.

We decided to give you up because we cannot bear to see you suffer, helping us pay the medical fees and our living expenses. You have done enough for your useless parents who cannot even give you a proper enviroment to live in.

Lastly, we would like to tell you why we decided to commit sucide. We have enough of the world. We are very tired of it. Eomma is dying very soon. No medication can help me prolong my life. Appa is tired of seeking all possible kind of jobs. We both are so tired of everything. We know, this is a terrible excuse to escape from the world. You must hate us alot right now right? 

We have already paid our debts back to all the people that we owned to, so you do not need to worry about the money. We have already settled everything before leaving the world.

We did attend your graduation. You might not have spotted us, but we saw you from afar, how happy your were when you graduated. 

Appa and Eomma may have left the world early, but we would like you tell you that you are the best daughter we could ever have. Thank you for quitting dance just to help us even though that was a difficult decision. Now that you are about to marry Yuju, you sure must have already work for them and must have a whole lot of money. Use the money to continue persuing dance. You could be a part time dancer on days where you do not have work. Take care of your health and espescially your shoulder too. Have a better life with Yuju. Bye Eunbi.

Love,

Appa and Eomma.

Sinb put down the letter. No tears came out this time. "They planned their death a long time ago." 

"What?" 

"I was so stupid not to see that beforehand." Sinb mumbled.

Yuju just sighed and side hugged Sinb. Not like she could say anything. Maybe keeping quiet could be better.

"Yuju ah, can i ask uncle and auntie for a favour?" Sinb shyly asked.

"Sure. Didn't they tell you a long time ago? What is it?" Yuju asked.

"Nothing. Let's sleep okay?" 

Yuju knew Sinb had something in mind but she let it slide and went to bed.

Sinb laid on the bed, listening to Yuju's breaths. It somehow calmed her mind and cleared it. As she heard Yuju's breaths became more peaceful, it signaled to her that Yuju was fast asleep. She opened her eyes and stared at the dark celling.

Should i continue dancing?

=============================================

Oops. Late update! I was sick for the past few days and was not able to think of the story line quickly. Anyways, what do you want the next chapter to be? Write some comments about it😉