Tearful nights

Like the ocean

A/N: I actually lightened this a little. The original was a bit harsh. Sorry for that ;;

*****

JangLi was furious beyond words ever since JaeJoong's broken self had stumbled crying through the door and sunk down onto the ground with his hands burying his flushed and tear stained face.

She was about to storm towards Jung HaeWon's house and beat the out of her distantly related cousin but was held back by JaeJoong clinging onto her in his misery. He begged under muffled cries that she shouldn't do it, shouldn't leave him alone and shouldn't make it even worse. But what could be worse than seeing her son losing his heart and love? She loved JaeJoong for being so kind-hearted, but this was the first time she wanted to slap herself for raising him up like this. But JaeJoong resembled his father so much in his looks and behaviour that she could never stop JaeJoong from being the way he was.

*

At another part of the town were two other boys sitting on the bed of the slightly smaller one who had finally stopped crying. YooChun's eyes were puffy and red, his nose running from all the crying he did for the last few hours ever since YunHo had come home. The other was sitting beside him, trying to soothe his twin brother's pain while he himself was stuck in a turmoil of emotions. He felt hatred towards his mother and unbearable pain was throbbing in his heart with the thought of him and JaeJoong being broken apart.

YunHo had banned their mother out of their room when she had wanted to enter it hours ago just to make again clear that she wouldn't allow the love both her sons were holding for other males. He had slammed the door close in front of her gaping and angry red face and had yelled through the door that she could go and die. He meant it literally.

“I-I wasn't careful,” YooChun sobbed surrounded by used tissues. “She came into our room when-” he further said, swallowing his saliva before he told more of the way how his mother had found out about him and JunSu. He already knew about YunHo and JaeJoong and felt sorry for both of them. “I said JunSu that I love him and miss to be around him, kiss him and touch him. She heard all of it,” he mumbled before he broke out in tears once again. HaeWon had been so furious upon hearing what her son had said to one of his friends that she yelled at him at the top of her lungs. YooChun knew that JunSu heard everything because of the sobbing carried into his ear through his mobile phone. The line had died when HaeWon had already made clear that YooChun was forbidden to see JunSu ever again.

“I-I shouldn't have called him but I-” YooChun babbled further, YunHo holding him in his arms the entire time. The hatred he felt towards his mother grew with every choked out word from YooChun and the pain grew even more, letting the tears he tried to hold back all the time stream down his cheeks freely.

“I wanted to make sure that he is fine after we-” his brother spoke further, his words dying in a soft whisper.

“After you what?” YunHo inquired ever so softly, sensing what YooChun was talking about. The blush that crept into YooChun's tear stained face approved his assumption.

“W-we had ,” YooChun stated with a soft whisper, making the situation he was now in even worse.

Just a few minutes filled with silence later the two boys heard a knock on their door. It was their father TaeGoon who entered the room and brought them something to eat since they hadn't wanted to eat together with him and their mother - or rather just because of her.

TaeGoon shut the door silently behind him before he placed the two boys' supper onto YunHo's desk. He eyed both his sons with worry on his face and pity in his eyes. He knew that his wife was very strict, but he would never have thought that she would even destroy their two boys' happiness.

“Don't even try it,” YunHo mumbled because he knew why his father was still inside of their bedroom. The older man tried desperately, on both sides, to get them to cooperate. But he fell on deaf ears by his wife HaeWon as he did by his stubborn son YunHo. The taller of the two boys had always been more rebellious when it came to their mother while YooChun had always been the obedient one.

“YunHo, please. She has a reason,” TaeGoon said softly, the cold eyes of YunHo piercing through him intensely.

“A reason? Oh yeah. Give me one goddamn reason why I should give a damn of why she does everything to make us unhappy and torture JaeJoong! Give me one goddamn reason why I shouldn't go out to her and punch some sense into her stupid brain!” YunHo hissed, not caring that he talked like this about his mother to his father who really loved his wife dearly.

“H-hyung, please,” YooChun said, voice hoarse after all the crying as he stared with wide eyes at his brother. He, too, was upset and mad at his mother but he would never have said something like this.

“YunHo, your mother hadn't an easy life either, okay?” TaeGoon now raised his voice when he glared at his stubborn son. YunHo just shrugged it off but didn't stop his father from telling them more.

“Do you remember your grandparents?” he said, the obvious frowning of his two sons telling him that they did. They never liked the parents of their mother even when they had been little children. They were always strict and never allowed them any fun. When the two elder people had died, YooChun and YunHo likewise hadn't been sad at all.

“Do you want to tell me they made a mistake in raising her, or what?” YunHo remarked sarcastically with a snort which earned him a slap into his face from his father. TaeGoon had never laid a hand onto his sons. Not one single time, until now.

“A-appa,” YooChun mumbled shocked. He never had seen his father this enraged before. He was always the calm one and the total contrast to their mother.

“I can't believe you talk like this! Have I raised you like this? Or has your mother?” TaeGoon raised his voice, tears b in his eyes when he thought what went wrong that YunHo was like this. He knew his son was very bitter and heartbroken at the moment but it didn't give him the right to be like this. “I don't know you. Where is the YunHo I raised to be a caring young man?” the older male said with such a soft voice that even let YunHo soften his heart.

“Sorry,” YunHo mumbled quietly when his father let himself sink back onto the chair he had been sitting on before. Silence surrounded the three men inside of the little room before TaeGoon told further about the life or rather the youth his wife had to go through.

“The parents of your mother, your grandparents, were really strict and religious. You could say, that they were part of an extreme circle,” TaeGoon stated with a soft and calm voice, both his sons listening carefully now.

“She wasn't allowed to speak with boys, let alone be friends with them. You know, back then when she was a teenager, she was best friends with JangLi, JaeJoong's mother,” he stated, both boys gaping surprised at him. The way their mother HaeWon behaved around JangLi would never have let them guess that the two women had been best friends in the past.

“W-what happened that umma hates her now?” YooChun had the courage to ask.

“Compared to your mother, JaeJoong's mother had a free and unbounded life. She could be friends with everyone she wanted and do whatever she pleased to do,” TaeGoon explained. He was one of the friends JangLi had in her youth, they still were in some way, and like this he got to know HaeWon.

“They broke apart when JangLi had her first boyfriend. It was unthinkable for your mother to have a boyfriend before she would graduate. Her parents forbid her every contact with boys until she would have finished her studies with 22. And the disgust and hatred your mother holds for homoexuals, lies in her parents, too,” he further said, looking with furrowed eyebrows at YunHo and YooChun.

“How was it able for you then, to be together with her?” YunHo asked softly, his blood boiling that his, YooChun's, JunSu's and JaeJoong's happiness had to suffer because of a religion that was based on a book written by some kind of person. He gaped wide-eyed at his father when the latter chuckled amused with a soft smile.

“It was the first and only time that your mother had broken a rule. When she turned away from JangLi, she held contact with me to make sure that she was okay. We were basically friends and the older we got, the deeper our feelings became,” TaeGoon said, telling them further about his and their mother's love-story until the day they were allowed to marry and build their own family.

“You know, your mother has changed a lot over the last 17 years,” he said, which caught full interest of both YunHo and YooChun.

“How is that?” YunHo asked curiously. He was still mad at his mother, and disliked religion even more now, but unlike before he didn't want to strangle her anymore. Well, for now.

“Don't you think she would have forced you to be part of her religion or rather would have raised you according to it?” TaeGoon replied, earning himself two understanding nods. It was true. They never were encountered with any religious stuff except for when they had been eleven years old. It had been a day after they first had met JaeJoong that she had wanted them to read the bible. YunHo indeed had read some pages until he got so bored that he had thrown the thick leather-bound book into a corner.

“I still don't like her,” YunHo mumbled before his father left the room. And his feeling towards his mother didn't get any better over the following weeks either. It more like got worse with every passing day. They were forced to stay away from JunSu and JaeJoong who looked both like a wreck, just like YunHo and YooChun. They were separated in class, forced to sit somewhere else and the teachers kept a good eye on them. Their mother apparently had forced the school to watch the boys. How she was able to do this, they didn't know nor wanted they to know.

It broke YunHo's heart into pieces whenever his eyes fell onto JaeJoong. The latter looked paler than normal, his eyes puffy and glance dead. He paid no attention to anything and walked through the school like a lifeless doll. JunSu didn't look that good either, but he had always ChangMin by his side who would catch him when he would be down. As for JaeJoong, he shut himself from his friends. He wanted to be alone and didn't want to bring more misery over them.

JaeJoong was crying endlessly every night until he fell asleep due to exhaustion which worried his mother to the core. Every time she saw her son staring at the pictures from their trip to Busan, especially the couple pictures of him and YunHo, her heart would break when JaeJoong broke out into tears.

“JaeJoongie?” JangLi said softly when she entered JaeJoong's room in the night. The latter's room was lit softly with a lamp on his nightstand and the light of the moon shining through the glass door of his balcony. Her eyes turned sad when they fell onto the figure on the bed. Lines of dry tears were decorating JaeJoong's flushed face, his eyes closed tightly and eyebrows furrowed in the restless sleep that was filled with sad memories. He was clutching his tiger YunYun tight to his heart, a picture of him and YunHo in his right hand. It was the picture YooChun, JunSu and ChangMin had taken of them when they had been kissing in the sunset.

JangLi gently pulled the blanket over JaeJoong's shivering body, the coldness of early December sensible inside of the small room. She caressed JaeJoong's cheek softly with her fingers, a lonely tear making its way down her own.

“Yunnie,” JaeJoong mumbled in his sleep, his voice fragile and so soft that it could be broken immediately. It caused JangLi to cry even more when she saw how a tear rolled down the cheek of JaeJoong she was just caressing. And like so often in the last few nights, she lay down next to her son and embraced him until the next morning.

*

The nights weren't that much different for YunHo. He too was crying in his sleep when he was thinking of JaeJoong. He was clutching their pictures likewise, his fingers ever so gently grazing over JaeJoong's smiling face. Oh how he missed that smile, the melodic laugh, the warmth of JaeJoong when he hugged him, his sweet lips and these wonderful blue eyes staring with so much love at him.

He ignored his mother completely and never listened to her when she addressed him. When he came home, he always went straight to his and YooChun's room and would shut the door. He never left it except for when he needed to go to the toilet or to school.

But the craving to hold JaeJoong in his arms again, the carving to be near him and just love him built up with each passing day, each passing minute. He opened the drawer of his nightstand to look at the picture of him and JaeJoong when they had been sleeping in the bus. He always looked at it when he missed JaeJoong and cried in the nights. But this time, he couldn't find it. Fury and rage built up inside of him, his footsteps resounding through the entire house when he stormed to his mother.

“Where is it?!” he asked immediately with a raised voice, his eyes burning when they landed on his mother who looked at him as if she didn't know what he was talking about.

“I don't know what you mean,” she replied with such a calm voice that let the vein on YunHo's forehead pop. He was fuming and his face angry red. YunHo's father knew he couldn't stop a fight this time and was silently watching them in the background.

“The picture of me and Jae! It was inside of my nightstand!” YunHo remarked angrily, his hands balled into fists as he tried not to jump his mother and strangle her on the spot.

“Oh, this. I threw it away,” HaeWon replied nonchalantly and added with an accusing look, “I won't allow such sinful things in my house. It is forbidden in front of God.”

“I don't care about your damn God!” YunHo yelled, slamming his hands onto the table so forcefully that it was at the verge of breaking.

“Jung YunHo! You will not go against the word of God! I won't allow the sinful love of two males nor between relatives!” HaeWon yelled back, standing up and faced her son with the same fire burning in her eyes.

“The word of God, my . Have you ever read that thing? Have you never asked yourself where Adam's and Eve's son's wife comes from when his parents were the first humans on earth? Or why your beloved God didn't do anything against the two daughters of Lot having children with him, huh?” YunHo snapped back, remembering the only passages that were stuck in his mind ever since he once read the first pages of the bible that confused him immensely.

“You want your words of God? Here you have them!?” he shouted, grabbing the leather-bound book that lay on the table and threw it towards his mother before he turned around and left the house. He didn't give a damn if the book hit her or not. He just ran away from the place he felt like never seeing ever again. He just didn't want to stay there any longer.

His feet were carrying him towards the house of JaeJoong of their own accord, the falling snow landing in his tousled light-brown hair and the coldness of the early evening cutting through his skin. He was just wearing a pullover, jeans and his slippers, absolutely not suitable for a day in December.

He was unsure to go to JaeJoong's house but when his eyes fell onto the balcony of JaeJoong's room and the soft light coming from inside, his sorrowful thoughts vanished and he made his way towards the tree that was in front of JaeJoong's room. He felt like he was in Romeo and Juliet when he climbed up the tree and crawled towards the marble balcony.

His body was shivering because of the coldness, his nose red and his breath leaving his mouth with visible mists when he slowly shuffled towards the big glass door. His heart was breaking when he saw JaeJoong crouching on his bed, his head buried deep into his little tiger and dampening it with his tears. He felt a lump growing in his throat, his own tears starting to fall down his cheeks the longer he watched JaeJoong. He felt just as heartbroken as his boyfriend. Was it even right to still call him like this or were they ripped apart completely and nothing more than mere friends?

His ice-cold fingers were touching the glass door gently, a soft knock audible which made JaeJoong look up from his stuffed hideout. His puffy red eyes were slowly following the sound, falling onto him which caused more tears to fall from the beautiful blue eyes. YunHo himself was crying when JaeJoong slowly stepped towards the glass door, their eyes fixed at one another when JaeJoong placed his hand onto the same place YunHo's hand was resting against.

Both closed their eyes, their tears spilling freely over their cheeks when both leaned against the glassy barrier that kept them from one another.