Kim JangLi and Kim YeSung

Like the ocean

The New Year's Eve between 1984 and 1985 was a cold one as the 22-year old Kim JangLi spent this night together with some fellow students at a party of some older students, the party itself being held in the older boys' apartment. Her friends were already drunk and flirting with the older boys while she was still sober since she never was that drawn to alcohol anyway. She sat on a bench, looking into the night sky and stared at the stars as an older boy spoke to her.

“Excuse me. Can I sit down here?” the older boy with shoulder-length black hair asked JangLi, pointing to the empty spot next to her.

“Sure. It's a free bench in a free country,” JangLi replied jokingly, smiling friendly at the 23-year old man.

“Hahahaha, you're funny,” he replied amused, sitting down and introduced himself. “Kim YeSung,” he added, holding his hand out to shake it with her own.

“Kim JangLi,” she responded with a soft smile, shaking her hand together with YeSung's bigger one.

The remaining night went by with nice chattering between them, laughing and shy smiles every now and then. Both felt comfortable with one another, their hands brushing against one another shortly and a tint of pink stained their cheeks.

It felt natural and right when their lips met for the first time when the clock struck twelve o'clock, heralding the new year with a blossoming new love.

They were in a happy relationship, sharing sweet moments and decided to move in together after just four months. Both had been shocked, rather more surprised, when JangLi found out that she was pregnant. The baby might be unplanned, but JangLi and YeSung were strong-willed to keep it though this would mean a pause for JangLi's studying. She gladly took this obstacle to be there for the baby when it would be born.

She was already in her second month when she finally decided to introduce her boyfriend to her parents. Her parents were beyond shocked as they saw YeSung for the first time and when they got to know that their only daughter was expecting a baby. Without reason they wanted JangLi to have an abortion and to break up with YeSung, which both young students disagreed with entirely. They inquired to know why her parents were so against them and their baby, tears welling up in JangLi's eyes as she couldn't understand her parents.

“You can't be together with him. He's your brother,” JangLi's father told them, voice trembling and words choked out while his wife was already crying hysterically. JangLi and YeSung were beyond shocked, both not believing the elder couple and accusing them for coming up with something unforgiving like this.

But to their sorrow, JangLi's parents were right. They showed them the birth certification of YeSung, their first born child, whom they had to give away because of financial matters, making it possible for them to keep a live. They did it for YeSung's own good but never forgot about him. They always stayed in contact with the kind childless couple that had adopted their son. Until now even YeSung didn't know that his parents weren't his real ones.

Under spilled tears JangLi's mother begged for her to have an abortion to prevent a hard life for the unborn soul growing under her heart. She pleaded with a broken voice to let go of the child that probably would be mentally disabled. But for the sake of the innocent human being, JangLi refused, stubborn and strong-willed as she was.

For the sake of their baby YeSung decided that it would be its best when he would leave JangLi, both their hearts breaking with this decision. He wanted to stay at a friend's place, searching for a job and sending his small family money whenever he could. But he never reached his goal. His motorcycle was hit by a car and his body crashed against a tree. He was dead on the spot.

JangLi was beyond sad when the news reached her ears, her heart breaking even more. Everything that gave her hope was the baby growing inside of her; the only proof of her and YeSung's love, might it be labelled as wrong or not.

She was cut dead by her own relatives, even her parents not by her side. She was left alone, just her unborn son being there for her. Hatred and disgust was what she earned whenever she had to go to a family gathering, even the innocent children pointing at her and accusing her for something they hadn't no clue of. But when she stared into the sparkling eyes of her newborn son lying in her arms, everything was worth it. She learned to ignore her relatives just to hold JaeJoong in her arms and hear his happy giggling. It was all worth it though she knew that JaeJoong would have the hardest life one could imagine.

But for the sake of him being born, she was happily giving her entire being to protect him.

JangLi was staring into JaeJoong's big blue eyes, the tears streaming down his cheeks hurting her more than her sad and yet most beautiful memories. JaeJoong clung tight onto her, burying his teary face into her chest as he cried his sadness out, his heart aching so much with what his parents had to go through and his own hard fate.

“I'm so sorry, for giving you such a difficult life, sweetheart,” JangLi sobbed, burying her own teary face into the black hair of her son, holding his trembling form tight to her heart.

Her parents were eyeing them with teary eyes, her mother clinging onto her husband as they listened to the story of JaeJoong's existence through the slightly open door. It hurt them so much to see JaeJoong suffering because of something he was innocent for and that they had wanted their own daughter to kill him even though he had been just as small as a peanut back then.

They loved their grandson dearly, loved him more with every passing day and hoped for him to find real friends, happiness and love. They just wanted for him to be as happy as every other human being, wanted for him to live a normal life.