Decisions of the heart

Like the ocean

Heavy eyelids slowly slid open, eyes tiny from sleep and slowly wandering around. Eyebrows were furrowed in confusion. 'Where-' the brown haired youth wondered, recognizing the room he was in to be not his own. Realization hit him when he looked to his right where another weight was pressing against him. A smile spread over his lips when the black mop tickled his chest as the other youth snuggled his face close to his heart.

With nimble fingers he traced a path on the other's warm skin, an arm lazily wrapped around his middle. A disgruntled groan vibrated inside of the room when the brown haired caressed the other's cheek, the black haired youth snuggling his face deeper into the pillow he probably thought he was sleeping on. The brown haired chuckled in amusement, his chest moving up and down in the process.

“Stop chuckling, stupid pillow,” was mumbled groggily against his skin, the arm tightening around his waist.

“I didn't know that pillows can chuckle, Jae,” the brown haired replied, voice still a bit drowsy from sleep. He assumed that it already was morning with the brightness intruding the room from the balcony. The spoken words made the black haired stir awake. His eyes slid open, blinking in confusion as his eyebrows were furrowed in deep thought. Deep crimson was colouring his cheeks when happenings of the former night were flashing inside of his mind. Sheepishly the smaller male looked up, chin propped on the other's chest when he stared at him.

“Good morning,” YunHo chimed with a handsome smile resting on his lips, right hand tracing soft circles on the other's back.

“Morning,” JaeJoong mumbled, trying to shift a bit away from YunHo out of embarrassment but the latter just pulled him closer. “Y-yunHo,” JaeJoong whispered when he lay on top of YunHo, skin on skin. He blushed even more at their close proximity. It didn't matter that in the former night they had been even closer, it was just the more embarrassing for JaeJoong.

“Ssh, just. Just let me hold you,” YunHo breathed, caressing JaeJoong's cheek whilst holding him close. JaeJoong stared shyly at him, lips parted at the words YunHo had said. It let his heart swell with emotions. It was him who initiated the loving kiss, the soft touch between their lips. YunHo was just the one taking over control. A subtle knock on the door slipped past their ears when both were lost in the touch between their lips. They didn't register the door creaking open either until a voice chimed through their ears.

“Good morning, turtledoves,” JangLi announced with a very much amused smile playing on her lips, the two boys breaking apart.

“M-MOM!” JaeJoong shrieked, trying everything to shield himself and YunHo from his mother's eyes. In the process of tugging the blankets over their forms, he managed to kick YunHo's shin as well as to kick the lamp from his nightstand. “GET OUT! GET OUT!” he shrieked with reddened cheeks, not missing the amused chuckle of his mother.

“Okay, okay. Come down for breakfast when you two are decent,” JangLi remarked with much amusement when she made a beeline out of the door and clicked said one shut behind her.

Awkward silence made itself presentable inside of JaeJoong's room, both boys not able to form words about what had just happened.

“Well, that was,” YunHo mumbled, trying his best to shield his bareness with JaeJoong's blanket.

“Yeah,” JaeJoong replied, eyes fixed on his blanket and back resting against his wall. A soft hiss from YunHo made him look at the other, noticing that YunHo was rubbing his injured shin. “Sorry,” he apologized. He didn't mean to kick his boyfriend, but the appearance of his mother was just too unexpected.

“It's okay,” YunHo replied, leaning forward as he planted a chaste kiss onto JaeJoong's cheek. “Besides, it must be more hurtful for you than this is for me,” he mumbled, cheeks coloured a soft crimson when he looked anywhere else but JaeJoong.

“N-no, it's okay,” JaeJoong replied in a soft whisper, head lowered and glowing a deep red. A pregnant silence came over the two young boys once more before YunHo shifted on the bed, sliding his legs off the mattress whilst searching for his boxers. He found the piece of garment under the pile consisting of their jeans and boxers next to the bed, fishing out his own as well as the pair that belonged to JaeJoong. Without muttering a word YunHo handed JaeJoong his boxers, the latter shyly taking them into his hands.

“Thanks,” JaeJoong mumbled, face hidden from YunHo when he looked to his left in embarrassment. Clumsily JaeJoong put his boxers on, always trying to shield his bareness from YunHo's eyes. The latter already had risen to his feet clad in only his underwear. Clearing his throat he turned towards JaeJoong, “What do you think of taking a shower?”

“Y-you mean .... together?” JaeJoong asked bashfully, looking at YunHo when he had put his boxers on.

“I thought it may be the fastest solution,” YunHo mumbled, averting JaeJoong's eyes. He was quite embarrassed, something JaeJoong had rarely seen from him before. YunHo didn't register JaeJoong lifting from the bed nor how the latter moved towards him. A peck onto his cheek pulled him out of his reverie, brown eyes locking with blue oceans.

“But don't do something funny,” JaeJoong breathed, a small pout kissing his plump lips. With a loving kiss YunHo assured JaeJoong that he would be a good boy.

And as hard as it might have been for YunHo, he kept his promise.

*

Meanwhile was JangLi busy with setting the table, a grin plastered on her lips whilst she was humming a melody to herself. She had made pancakes to mark the occasion, JaeJoong's favourite. She knew that she was a tease, but sometimes a mother just couldn't resist. Her ears perked up when she heard footsteps resounding on the stairs, not very loud but still able to be caught with her attentive ears.

“Hurry up, you two, or you'll get cold pancakes,” she chimed whilst turning around, eyeing the young boys shuffling over to the kitchen with mischief in her eyes.

“Good morning, Mrs. Kim,” YunHo greeted, voice a bit hesitant when he tried to look at her. His hands were behind his back, fingers fiddling with one another as he kept his palms away from JaeJoong. The black haired next to him was just as nervous, not even able to let a single word roll from his tongue.

“Don't be so formal, YunHo. You're part of this family, after all. Mom or JangLi is totally fine with me,” JangLi replied, smiling warmly at the young boy standing next to her son. “Now sit down. You must be hungry from all these activities,” she voiced out, the two boys across from her blushing whilst shuffling over to the table. JaeJoong caught his breath, eyes widened when they landed on his chair. A fluffy dark-blue pillow was resting atop the wooden furniture, erected so innocently from it. YunHo had silently sat down, cheeks glowing when he had noticed the hidden message behind the pillow.

“M-mom, what-” JaeJoong breathed, quite disbelieving. The mischief sparkling in his mother's eyes let him gulp his question, cheeks burning with embarrassment when he slowly sunk down onto his chair. It actually was quite comfortable with the pillow beneath his backside despite the embarrassment coming along with it.

“Can't a mother care for her grown-up son?” JangLi replied, the soft smile on her lips speaking of amusement and motherly care.

The breakfast was mostly filled with silence and awkwardness, on the side of YunHo and JaeJoong that is. JangLi on the other hand tried her best to appear as casual as possible, trying to cover up that she knew about the happenings of the previous night. She already had stopped to be a tease.

“Say, YunHo. Don't you want to stay here for a few days?” she asked whilst washing the dishes, YunHo standing next to her when he dried them. JaeJoong had gone to the loo. The suggested question let the brown haired dumbstruck for a few seconds, not sure of what to answer.

“I'd love to,” he replied in the end, placing the dried plate onto the kitchen counter. “I bet though she wouldn't let me,” YunHo mumbled drily, JangLi patting his shoulder.

“It's not easy with her, I know. But don't hold a grudge against her, YunHo. She is just trying to do what she deems to be right for you. That's just the task of a mother,” JangLi muttered, handing YunHo the last washed dish.

“I wish she cared more for YooChun's and my happiness though. Like you do,” YunHo replied, cheeks tainted a soft crimson at his last statement.

“That is nice of you to say, but you shouldn't think like that of your mother,” JangLi replied with a soft smile, knowing her former friend very well. “She cares for you, a lot even. In your eyes she just doesn't do it the right way. But for her, it is right. She just wants to protect you,” she said, palming YunHo's cheek in motherly care and understanding. It left YunHo speechless.

“Mom, have you seen my dark-blue sweater?” chimed JaeJoong's voice through the living room, the black haired oblivious to the talk his mother had had with YunHo.

“Yes, sweetheart. I washed it a few days ago. I wanted to get the laundry anyway,” JangLi replied, leaving the kitchen when she made her way downstairs to get their clean laundry.

Silence surrounded the boys JangLi had left behind, a comfortable one though as the awkwardness had slowly disappeared. Walking over to the living room, YunHo extended his hand towards JaeJoong. The latter just blinked in confusion, head cocked a bit to the side. With a soft smile YunHo just grabbed JaeJoong's hand and dragged him over to the sofa.

“YunHo, what,” JaeJoong wanted to ask, wondering what his boyfriend was up to when he led him towards the sofa and pulled him close once YunHo sat on the furniture.

“Ssh, just stay here,” the brown haired youth muttered, head resting comfortably against JaeJoong's belly whilst his arms were wrapped around his middle.

“Are you okay?” JaeJoong asked with concern, fingers streaking through YunHo's brown locks whilst a slight blush was resting on his cheeks.

“I'm fine,” YunHo mumbled, staring up at JaeJoong with his chin propped onto the latter's belly.

“You look though as if you have something on your mind,” JaeJoong responded, settling down onto his boyfriend's lap whilst staring into his eyes. The deep blue of JaeJoong's eyes pulled YunHo into their spell, like so often. Sighing he embraced JaeJoong, head buried in his neck.

“You know, your mom asked me to stay for a few days. What do you think?” YunHo mumbled close to JaeJoong's ear, a shiver running down the latter's spine before he pulled away from their embrace to look at YunHo.

“But, what about your mom? She wouldn't allow-” JaeJoong wanted to remark but was silenced by YunHo's finger atop his lips.

“Don't think about her. I asked what you want and not her,” YunHo replied, a gentle smile on his lips. JaeJoong gulped, cheeks again tinted a hue of red. He was sure they would always glow when being next to YunHo.

“I,” he mumbled, lips trembling and words dying on his tongue at the affection YunHo stared at him with. “Stay, please,” he whispered, face buried in YunHo's shoulder. YunHo just hugged him tighter.

“Good. Then I just need to get my stuff from my home. Will you join me?” YunHo asked, cupping JaeJoong's cheek when the latter had the courage to look at him again. He noticed the inner battle JaeJoong was going through at his question. He waited and would wait for JaeJoong to make a decision. If he was able to face his mother at this time was totally up to JaeJoong and no one else.

“O-okay,” JaeJoong stuttered, determination yet hesitance audible in his voice.

“You sure?” YunHo asked, concern flashing in his brown eyes. A soft smile spread over JaeJoong's lips when he replied in a hushed whisper, “Yes.”

Before YunHo could lean in to steal a kiss from JaeJoong's tempting lips, JangLi's voice ripped them out of there own little world, “JaeJoongie, here's your sweater.” Holding the dark-blue piece of garment in her hands JangLi stepped into the living room, oblivious to the position her son and YunHo were in.

“Thanks,” JaeJoong mumbled when he took the sweater into his hands, already on his feet whilst YunHo was sitting on the couch.

“Are you all right? Your cheeks are all red,” JangLi voiced out, quite concerned that is. “Maybe you got yourself a fever,” she mumbled whilst palming JaeJoong's forehead and cheeks alike.

“I'm fine, mom,” JaeJoong mumbled, gently swatting away his mother's hand. He put on his sweater, snuggling himself into the fluffy garment to hide himself. It was to no avail, of course.

“Let's go,” YunHo chimed out of the sudden, catching the older female by surprise.

“You two want to leave?” she asked, eyebrows raised in surprise. She didn't expect for them to go out already.

“We're getting some stuff from my home,” YunHo replied, rising to his feet to make his way over to the entrance.

“YunHo's staying for a few days,” JaeJoong mumbled, averting his mother's eyes when he turned towards his shoes. JangLi smiled gently at the two backs in front of her, responding softly, “So? That's nice.”

She watched JaeJoong by putting on his shoes, noticing that YunHo was just clad in his slippers, pair of jeans and a mere pullover. “Wait a second, YunHo,” she called out when the two boys were about to leave the house, YunHo halting in his tracks.

“Hm?” he hummed, JaeJoong already out of the door and waiting for his boyfriend to follow him. The fresh and cold air of winter was tickling his nose.

“I have a warm sweater for you. It's from JaeJoong's father but I think it would fit you. Don't want you to catch a cold now, do we?” JangLi voiced out with a warm smile, getting the warm piece of garment out of the closet standing next to the door.

“Thank you,” YunHo mumbled whilst accepting the black piece of garment.

“You're welcome,” JangLi responded, eyeing YunHo carefully when the younger put the sweater on. “Can you promise me something?” she asked, gnawing on her bottom lip nervously. It was a habit JaeJoong got definitely from her.

“What is it?” YunHo asked, surprised at the sudden question.

“Make sure that he won't come back with tears, yes?” JangLi voiced out, a worried smile tugging on her lips. She didn't know if she could handle another break down of JaeJoong like the ones he had had before. The gentleness she could make out in YunHo's smile made her feel at ease.

“I promise that he'll come back with a smile,” YunHo assured, determined of his own words. With a wave of their hands the two boys left JaeJoong's home to make their way towards YunHo's place. A hard battle was lying ahead of them, and with each step closer to his house YunHo could feel that JaeJoong was slowing down. He gave him this time and grabbed his hand as a support.

Normally it would take YunHo just about fifteen minutes by foot towards his home, but this time it took him almost an hour. He didn't mind though as he could spend it together with JaeJoong with their hands entwined.

Right in front of the house YunHo was living in JaeJoong stopped in his tracks, eyebrows furrowed in worry. YunHo stood next to him, eyeing him carefully and with concern.

“I can go in alone, if you want,” he voiced out, thumb caressing soothing circles on the back of JaeJoong's hand. The latter took a deep breath, shaking his head before he replied, “No, I can do this.” YunHo smiled gently when his hand was squeezed tightly by JaeJoong, the brown haired youth leaning in to plant a chaste kiss onto JaeJoong's cheek.

With slow steps they walked further, the wooden door of YunHo's home coming closer. Soft rattling resounded around them when YunHo got hold of his key, glancing once more at JaeJoong, “Ready?” Taking a deep breath JaeJoong nodded, YunHo slipping the key in before he turned it around. The door clicked open, not loud enough to really catch the house's occupants' attention. Quickly the young couple made their way inside, JaeJoong feeling a bit uncomfortable with how they sneaked into YunHo's own home like some mere burglars.

“And you think you can step into this house without a greeting?” chimed a deep male voice through the hallway, quiet and careful.

“Dad,” YunHo mumbled when he turned around, relieved that it wasn't his mother. He could feel that JaeJoong relaxed a lot behind him. “We just wanted,” he wanted to explain, stopped by his father with a knowing smile.

“Whatever you've planned to do, do it quickly. Your mother is occupying the bathroom and I don't know for how long she will stay there,” TaeGoon voiced out, concern audible before he turned towards the kitchen and left the young boys stunned behind.

“Maybe we should hurry then,” JaeJoong voiced out in a hushed whisper, nudging YunHo to go upstairs. He really wanted to get this done with as soon as possible. With fast and quiet steps the two males made their way towards YunHo's shared bedroom with YooChun. Carefully they opened the door, attentive eyes watching down the hallway to see if the door of the bathroom was opening. Just the subtle sound of rushing water reached their ears.

“YunHo!” was loudly exclaimed when the brown haired stepped into his room, hurrying inside together with JaeJoong before his twin brother's outburst could gain the attention of their mother.

“Ssh, be quiet. I don't want mom to know that I'm here,” he mumbled with a hushed voice, eyes searching for his backpack and travelling bag. If he were already here then he could as well just grab every piece of clothing he would need, no?

“You better not run into her. She was furious when you stormed out yesterday,” YooChun replied, dampening his voice as well. Just then he noticed that someone else had gotten into the room along with YunHo. “JaeJoong!” he exclaimed with widened eyes, quite a lot surprised to see their cousin in the house that caused him so much pain.

“Hey,” JaeJoong replied sheepishly, standing by the door whilst watching YunHo by pacing from his wardrobe to his travelling bag and back. He furrowed his eyebrows in confusion, “YunHo, how many clothes do you actually plan on taking with you?”

“As many as I can. I want to stay away from here as long as possible,” YunHo responded, his entire being focused on his task.

“Are you running away or something?” YooChun asked his brother, quite in disbelief. It made YunHo stop in his tracks shortly before he returned to his task.

“YunHo, you can't do this!” It was JaeJoong's objection, the black haired quite appalled at YunHo's plans.

“Why not? She doesn't care for what I want anyway, so why should I care for what she wants,” YunHo retorted quite emotionless.

“But YunHo, she is your mother,” JaeJoong voiced out, YooChun being quite shocked himself at the situation at hand.

“I could care less,” was breathed when YunHo zipped up his bag.

“YunHo,” JaeJoong breathed, concerned at the disappointment he figured came with YunHo's soft reply. He stepped closer to him, arms wrapped around his shoulders when he snuggled his face into his neck for comfort. “What about your father and YooChun? Do you want to leave them alone?” he asked softly, YunHo turning towards him. His brown orbs met with worried blue ones before he sighed.

“No, but I just need some time away from her. I don't know how to deal with her without ....” He didn't dare to speak further. He didn't like that he actually had such thoughts about his mother even though it was her behaviour that irked those thoughts inside of him.

“Can I come with you?” YooChun asked meekly after a few seconds filled with silence, eyes pleadingly looking at his brother and JaeJoong who both had turned towards him. “I miss JunSu,” he mumbled before either of the other two boys could reply.

A soft smile played on JaeJoong's lips when he replied, “Then hurry. I'm sure mom wouldn't mind to have one more guest in her house.”

Not even five minutes later they stepped out of the room, hurrying down the hallway towards the stairs in hope that they were lucky enough to not run into HaeWon. However, their luck wasn't on their side. As soon as YunHo had closed the door behind him the door of the bathroom swung open. With widened eyes, partly in surprise on HaeWon's side and shock on the three young boys' side, they stared at one another before either of them could utter a word.

“What the,” HaeWon voiced out, taking in the view of both her sons carrying quite a lot of luggage with them and another youth standing in between them. Her eyes narrowed in fury when she registered just who exactly it was that had stepped into her house.

“Run!” YunHo yelled, quickly turning towards the staircase when his mother stormed angrily towards them.

“JUNG YUNHO!” the enraged woman shrieked, the three boys hurrying down the stairs even quicker.

“I thought this would happen,” TaeGoon mumbled to himself when he stepped into the hallway and was almost run over by a stumbling JaeJoong. With fright in his eyes the black haired youth stared at YunHo's father when he caught him, his entire figure trembling. “Don't worry,” the taller man assured with a soft smile when he pushed JaeJoong towards the door. He was followed by YooChun and YunHo.

“Just what do you think you're doing!” HaeWon yelled at her son when she reached the hallway downstairs, grabbing YunHo's arm when she came in reach. Her grip was strong and eyes twinkling with fury.

“I'm leaving this house! Now let go!” YunHo yelled back, freeing his arm out of his mother's grasp. He stumbled back, his eyes staring with just as much anger at his mother as her eyes were glancing at him. JaeJoong and YooChun stood by the door, not daring to open it at the situation at hand.

“I won't let you take a step out of this house!” HaeWon yelled back, desperation audible in JaeJoong's ears. He knew that YunHo's plan wasn't a good idea. As much as HaeWon had hurt him over all these years, he couldn't stand to see her like this. She was weak, desperately trying to keep her son at her side.

“And you think you can stop me?” YunHo responded, storming over to the door before he opened it. JaeJoong tried to call for YunHo's attention, but the latter was too enraged to notice anything else but the rage towards his mother.

“You place him over your own family?” HaeWon asked. It was a question filled with insecurity, with hope that the answer would not be what she feared it to be.

“He is my family,” YunHo responded and grabbed JaeJoong's hand. The latter was shaken, both with emotions of just how much he meant to YunHo and guilt. He felt guilty for that he was at fault for this family breaking apart.

“If you step out of this house, you'll not be welcomed again,” HaeWon voiced out, her last desperate call being nothing but an empty threat to YunHo. Without any care for her words the brown haired stepped out of the house, dragging JaeJoong with him and was followed by his brother. YooChun was silent as was JaeJoong.

Disbelieving HaeWon stared after the retreating backs of her sons, realization hitting her at what exactly she had just done. “T-taeGoon, why- stop them,” she pleaded for her husband to do something, looking at him with watering eyes. Gently his palm cupped her cheek, his thumb caressing away a salty tear.

“I'm sorry, dear. This time I can't help you,” he breathed, planting a soft kiss onto her forehead. “You should have known better,” he mumbled before he turned towards the kitchen and left his wife alone in the hallway, the wooden door wide open and letting in the cold air of winter drying HaeWon's desperate tears.