Epilogue

Like the ocean

Today was a special day. Normally a silver wedding anniversary would demand for a massive family gathering, but the married couple of the day had decided to just celebrate with the relatives and friends they were closest with. A mild summery air came with the beginning of May as the celebrating party prepared the garden of JangLi's house for the feast.

JangLi carried a cake from her kitchen into the garden and placed it in the middle of the dinner table with a smile on her lips, “This is the last one.”

She soon found herself embraced by her renewed best friend. “Thank you so much, JangLi, that we can celebrate here,” the woman in her late forties mumbled and hugged her friend tighter with a wide smile.

JangLi hugged the other back, “You're very welcome, HaeWon-ah.” With wide smiles the two women broke apart before TaeGoon joined his wife and thanked JangLi as well. It didn't last long for YooChun and JunSu to arrive, joined by ChangMin and his girlfriend. Once their lectures had been over the young men drove together in YooChun's car to JangLi's house.

“Congrats, mom and dad,” YooChun announced when he embraced his parents, the congratulating hugs followed by JunSu and ChangMin.

Thanking the young men, HaeWon let her eyes travel around. She cocked her head a little when she couldn't see her other son. “Didn't YunHo want to come together with you?” she asked, her lips pursed slightly.

“Ah, they come a little later. They needed JaeJoong longer at work than they had expected,” YooChun explained and found his mother pouting a little. With a sigh she pleaded all to take a seat and, despite not being complete, announced the feast to start.

*

The feast was filled with light chatter and happy laughter when YunHo and JaeJoong reached the house and put their luggage down in the hallway.

“I shouldn't have worked today after all,” JaeJoong mumbled and ruffled through his short black hair.

YunHo got hold of the bouquet of white lilies for their mother together with the present for his parents from him, JaeJoong, YooChun and JunSu before he turned towards his boyfriend, “Don't say that. If not for you then the Seoul Times wouldn't be able to report about the university's arts exhibition.” He planted a chaste kiss onto JaeJoong's temple when the black haired beamed at him. YunHo was right. As a student of arts and journalism, JaeJoong had been the best choice to write such an article. That, and YunHo providing his photos from his photography lectures helped out as well, was just a minor matter.

“Ah! Look who's coming!” JangLi exclaimed when she caught the approaching couple with her eyes. Everyone turned their heads at them and greeted them soundly from their places. YunHo congratulated his mother first, handing her the lily bouquet he got from his part time job at a florist with a chaste kiss onto her cheek. He then proceeded to hug his father when JaeJoong handed HaeWon a simple looking white envelope.

HaeWon cocked her head in wonder when she eyed the thin letter. “It's from YunHo, YooChun, JunSu and me for both of you,” JaeJoong remarked when the older woman tore the envelope open.

JaeJoong bit his bottom lip nervously as HaeWon read through the contents of the letter. Gasping she showed it to her husband, her palm resting on her heart. He really hoped they would like it since it was his idea to give them something like this as an anniversary present. “You fools, this is way too pricey for a gift,” TaeGoon muttered when he eyed the flight tickets that would take him and his wife to Paris for an entire week. He didn't want to know what the 24 year old students had to pay to grant them this journey.

“YunHo told me that HaeWon-ssi always wanted to see Paris and its Eiffel Tower together with you, and I really wanted this to be something special for your anniversary,” JaeJoong muttered, a bashful smile on his lips whilst rubbing his hand nervously over the nape of his neck.

“That's really thoughtful of you, JaeJoong-ah. Thank you,” HaeWon said with a small smile. JaeJoong blushed a little at the endearing tone in her voice and nervously shifted his gaze at YunHo. The brown haired just smiled, assuring him that everything was all right. Affection lay in HaeWon's eyes when she gently palmed JaeJoong's cheek, “Will you do me a favour, JaeJoong-ah?”

“What is it?” JaeJoong answered hesitantly, his cheeks colouring a little more at the warmth emanating from HaeWon's palm.

“May I ask you to drop the formalities?” HaeWon asked softly. A hue of red crossed her cheeks when she continued, “As my son-in-law to-be I'd be delighted if you called me mom.”

A smile tugged on JaeJoong's lips, eyes glistening softly when he embraced HaeWon. “It'd be my pleasure, mom,” he breathed into her neck before he planted a gentle kiss onto HaeWon's cheek. With wide smiles the remaining guests eyed the affectionate pair, TaeGoon nudging his son a little before he patted him onto the back. With HaeWon's acceptance of JaeJoong as a part of YunHo and a part of their family, there was no obstacle left that could stop the black haired from leading a normal life.

おわり。