Acceptance

Like the ocean

YunHo's steps were fast, his teeth gritted and eyebrows furrowed in anger. He didn't hear the constant calls for his name of JaeJoong following after him on their way to his home. YooChun on the other hand, time and again looked back with eyes full of regret. He knew what his brother had done was wrong, of course what his mother had done wasn't good either, but it didn't have to end like this.

“YunHo,” JaeJoong called again for the umpteenth time, eyebrows furrowed in worry. The outlines of his mother's house were already in sight when YunHo finally slowed a bit down for him and YooChun to catch up with him. “YunHo,” he called out again, more softly this time when he got hold of YunHo's arm. The brown haired was shaking.

“I don't regret it,” YunHo mumbled softly, more to himself than to JaeJoong. The latter's eyes were filled with worry. He knew that deep down YunHo did regret on how things had ended between him and his mother.

“But YunHo,” the black haired interjected, forcing YunHo to look at him. The other however broke away from his hold, marching further to the house he would be staying in for the next amount of time. He ignored every other approach of JaeJoong talking to him until the latter unlocked the door, leaving him and YooChun inside. It smelled of stew and the sweet fragrance of vanilla-flavoured blancmange. JaeJoong's mother came out of the kitchen to greet the boys upon registering their return, her smile faltering though when she noticed the tension around her son and the two guests.

“YunHo, it wasn't right,” JaeJoong muttered, still feeling bad that he was the cause of YunHo and his mother breaking apart like that. And that too, before Christmas and New Year. An awkward silence filled the entrance, neither of the boys speaking and JangLi felt uncomfortable witnessing the situation at hand.

“I know,” was whispered meekly, YunHo turning around to face JaeJoong. “But there is no turning back now.” With that being said, YunHo greeted JaeJoong's mother with a bow before he headed towards JaeJong's room. JangLi walked over to her son, following his worried gaze to YunHo's back.

“His mother?” she asked softly, the black haired just nodding in response. She sighed turning her attention to YooChun, “I'll show you the guest room, YooChun-ah. Follow me.”

“Oh, uhm, yes,” the 17-year-old responded, bowing politely. “Sorry for intruding,” he muttered when he followed JaeJoong's mother upstairs.

“No problem. You're always welcome here,” she remarked on her way across the hallway towards the guest room. Meanwhile JaeJoong sighed when he made his way towards his own bedroom, carefully opening the door with a soft knock.

“YunHo?” he asked, entering his room and closing the door behind him. He found YunHo lying on his bed, facing the ceiling with his stuffed tiger sitting atop his belly. He sat down beside YunHo, snatching the little tiger out of the other's hold. YunHo turned his head at him at his muttered question, “You okay?” The 17-year-old sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose when he thought about his answer.

“I don't know,” YunHo responded, honestly. He really didn't know how to digest the emotions coursing through him. There was relief that he stood against his mother and fought for his happiness with JaeJoong. The relief was combined with anger at his mother for practically throwing him out, and somewhere along the line there was sadness. He actually felt sad at how things had ended between him and his mother. Now there probably was not a single chance that she would ever accept the love he held for JaeJoong, let alone accept the black haired as a part of their family.

Sighing JaeJoong crawled onto his bed, his tiger plushie pressed against his chest whilst lying down next to YunHo and cuddling against the brown haired teenager. He nuzzled his nose against YunHo's jaw, his left fingers gently tracing along YunHo's cheek whilst mumbling soft words of solace. He snuggled a bit closer when YunHo shifted into his comforting touch. Time and again he chastely pecked YunHo's jaw whilst thumbing away a thin trail of tears rolling down YunHo's cheek.

*

Over the passing days JangLi had gotten used to her house being unusually lively. At first she had been worried about YunHo, who during the first days staying at her house was unusually sullen and rather quiet, but seeing the events that had happened between him and his mother she could understand that he rather didn't want to talk about the issue. JaeJoong himself could only provide little information and she knew that he felt a little uncomfortable with the whole situation. YunHo had moved into her old bedroom during the first days, but after that she more than once had found him snuggled against her son in his bed in the morning. By then she knew that YunHo felt better.

YooChun as well had quickly gotten used to his new living situation and had JunSu coming over time and again much to the delight of his friends. Albeit feeling a little guilty for taking in HaeWon's sons and the loss her former friend surely was going through, she was glad to see happy smiles stretched all over their faces. Especially seeing the wide smile on JaeJoong's lips let her feel at ease.

It was a week after YunHo and YooChun had moved into her spare bedrooms that JangLi received a call from TaeGoon. The two boys were currently busy studying for a test together with her son, JunSu and ChangMin when their father called on a Saturday afternoon to ask after his sons' well-being. JangLi had moved into the kitchen whilst talking to her old friend, her eyes time and again trailing back to the five young men spread around the wide table in the living room.

“They are doing quite well, but I believe it is too early to say that they are truly happy with the situation,” she admitted and earned herself a low hum from the other line.

“I suppose that is normal after all what happened between them and their mother,” TaeGoon sighed into her ear.

“How is she?” JangLi asked, her eyebrows furrowed in worry.

TaeGoon sighed deeply, “Not so well, considering the situation. She feels quite lost.” She could hear through the speaker TaeGoon raking his hand through his hair, “But it was inevitable to happen. I knew it was coming sooner or later.”

“I suppose you are right,” JangLi sighed in agreement and turned her eyes from her current residents. “Would you like to talk to them?” she asked when she got hold of a recipe for ddeokbokki fit for ten people.

A short silence filled their conversation before TaeGoon replied, “Better not yet. It is too early and I would only try to convince them to come home. I will speak to them when I had a thorough talk with HaeWon. I'm sure she will listen to me now that the situation has already escalated.”

“Yes, that makes sense,” JangLi mumbled and put a pot onto her stove whilst balancing the phone between her ear and shoulder. “Is there anything I can do to help?” she asked when she leaned against her kitchen counter.

“If possible I want to ask you to take good care of my boys. I know they are in good hands when they stay with you,” TaeGoon responded and it brought a soft smile to JangLi's lips.

“I will do my best,” she responded and played with a strand of her hair whilst asking for TaeGoon to take care of her old friend. He assured her of course that he would. “Hey TaeGoon,” JangLi called out before they were about to end their call. The other hummed in response. “Make sure to call on Christmas, okay? I'm sure they would be happy about it,” she pleaded and smiled gently when TaeGoon agreed with a soft laugh. Once they had ended their call, JangLi busied herself with preparing dinner for her full house with a soft tune on her lips.

*

Quickly YunHo and YooChun settled in their new environment, both dutifully accomplishing the tasks that were accumulating in the household. JangLi was glad for their help. The new year approached with TaeGoon calling every two weeks to ask about his sons' life over at JangLi's house. It was around JaeJoong's birthday that YunHo and YooChun talked to him on the phone again. The situation noticeably had calmed and JangLi and JaeJoong were glad for that.

The weeks were passing by with the young men studying for their upcoming graduation exams which would be held during Spring time. Time and again YunHo and YooChun would chat with their father about their plans after graduation, but it lasted two months before YooChun accepted the hesitant approaches of their mother to have contact with them again. YunHo refused entirely. Much to YooChun's surprise, his mother seemed to have changed a little. Not much, but it was a great progress for him that she actually asked for how he and JunSu were doing. His father explained him later that she wanted to try to accept the love both him and YunHo felt for JunSu and JaeJoong for the sake of their happiness.

It was around the middle of April when a family gathering for the birthday of one of the elder people was held, that JangLi and her residents decided to show up at the gatherings again. YunHo and YooChun knew that the possibility of meeting their mother was high, but they didn't really seem to mind that much. They actually were happy to see their father again. The halls of the gathering were filled with a tensed silence when the young men appeared together with JangLi and no one really knew how to handle the situation of YunHo and YooChun having no contact to their mother who was somewhere sitting in a corner with her husband.

“Wow, your family really is huge, YooChun-ah,” JunSu mumbled when his eyes travelled over the masses of relatives spread around the massive hall of a barn belonging to a restaurant and hotel.

“Yeah, and I barely even know a quarter of them,” the taller teenager replied when their little group made their way over to an empty table located somewhat aloof from everyone else.

“I actually always wondered why every possible relative has to come,” YunHo mumbled when he sat down with his back facing the crowd. “I mean, something interesting never really happens,” he complained with a sigh whilst ruffling his hand through his brown hair.

“If you take it as that, then yes, it is nothing special,” JaeJoong chimed in when he slipped onto the seat next to YunHo. “But don't you think it is quite a nice tradition to gather all living generations of one family?” he muttered whilst entwining his fingers with YunHo's. It brought a small smile to JangLi's lips when she watched her son. Ever since YunHo was living with them under the same roof, JaeJoong had found his self-confidence and had changed quite noticeably to a stronger character.

YunHo raised an eyebrow at JaeJoong's words. “I always thought you loathed those events. None of them ever treated you kindly,” he responded softly with a slight frown.

A smile scurried over JaeJoong's lips when he gently squeezed YunHo's hand. “But thanks to them I met you and YooChun,” he remarked and brushed his nose gently against YunHo's jaw.

“Get a room if you want to flirt,” YooChun announced with a chuckle which resulted in YunHo sticking out his tongue at his twin brother. Laughter and chatter filled their little circle, and none really cared for the whispers of gossip and judging eyes that were directed at them. Halfway through the approaching evening TaeGoon joined his sons and indulged into a light chatter with them about their plans after graduation. JaeJoong had excused himself shortly after to make his way to the bathroom and let TaeGoon have his seat next to YunHo.

Time and again JaeJoong witnessed the hushed words being spoken about him and his relationship with YunHo, but they entered his ears just as fast as they left again. He had stopped to take every spiteful word to his heart and more than once he was thankful to YunHo for changing him to a stronger person. His blue eyes wandered over the masses of people blocking his way from the toilet back to his family and caught sight of a lone figure seated in a dark corner. His eyebrows were furrowed in sympathy when he watched the forlorn woman who used to scare him throughout his life. He noticed the longing gaze directed at his table, yet HaeWon's eyes were sullen and forlorn. She looked older than she actually was, creases of regret marring her once soft features.

Sighing softly JaeJoong made his way over to the older woman. He no longer was scared of her. The once intimidating mother of YunHo was now a broken woman desperately wishing to have her sons back in her life. “May I take a seat?” he asked softly and waited for HaeWon to respond. The older woman eyed him with her sorrowful eyes, her lips parting slightly before she turned her head with a meek nod away. Silence befell them when JaeJoong sat onto a chair across from YunHo's mother.

He watched her silently eyeing YunHo, YooChun and her husband interacting across the room and cocked his head a little in sympathy. “Don't you want to talk to them?” he inquired in a soft voice in which HaeWon sighed in response.

“They wouldn't want to see me,” she mumbled after a few seconds filled with silence.

JaeJoong focused his eyes on YunHo and smiled softly. “You should try. I am sure they would be glad to have you around again,” he muttered and didn't register HaeWon eyeing him with furrowed eyebrows.

“Why?” she breathed and had JaeJoong looking at her with a questioning expression. “Why would you care for me? I treated you horribly,” she said with a voice filled with shame whilst her eyes spoke of guilt.

“You did,” JaeJoong breathed and registered a flinch marring HaeWon's features. “But you are the mother of the one dearest to me and albeit he might refuse to admit it, I know that he misses you,” he declared and found HaeWon's eyes watering.

“You shouldn't be so forgiving with me. I don't deserve your kindness,” HaeWon rasped when a tear slid down her cheek. JaeJoong reached out his hand and gently thumbed away the thin trail.

“Everyone deserves a second chance,” he muttered and palmed HaeWon's cheek with a gentle smile. “I may be too kind, but it is a dear habit my father has gifted me with that I wouldn't want to miss,” he mumbled and retracted his hand before he rose from his chair. HaeWon smiled softly to herself when she understood why her son YunHo was so entranced with the black haired youth that he did not just fight against her objections, but even would fight against the entire world.

She blinked in surprise when JaeJoong stood in front of her and stretched out his palm. He smiled gently at her confused self when he remarked, “Please come with me. They would be happy to see you.”

HaeWon hesitated for a few moments before she slowly placed her hand into JaeJoong's palm and followed him towards the table she had longingly eyed the entire evening. She smiled softly at his back when she registered that deep down inside, she already acknowledged JaeJoong as a part of her family.