Breaking hearts

Like the ocean

The cold air was soughing lightly, the warmth inside of the room swirling up and surrounding the two figures dressed in mere jeans and pullovers. Two teary pairs of eyes were staring at one another, memories of togetherness finding their way into JaeJoong's and YunHo's minds.

It was a cold sunny day in the middle of September, the leaves of the trees had already started to turn yellow, red and orange-brown and were dancing in the soft autumn wind. Single coloured leaves were swaying through the air, landing on the asphalted pavement YunHo and JaeJoong were walking along; hand in hand. Bashful smiles were gracing their lips, the setting sun illuminating them when they slowly made their way home after a wonderful date. They had been in the park, walking along the Han River and had had a picnic under a big old maple tree, just the two of them.

It was in front of a small lighting store that JaeJoong stopped in his tracks as he was fascinated by the soft twinkling of a chain of lights that was framing the small window of the little shop. They were sparkling beautifully in different colours, shining like a rainbow.

JaeJoong closed his eyes for a moment when he felt YunHo behind him, wrapping his arms around his slim form and rested his chin on his shoulder. He leaned back into YunHo's warmth, the rustling of the leaves brushed by the wind the only source of sound surrounding them.

Once JaeJoong slowly opened his eyes, his breath caught at the sight greeting him. It was just their reflection he saw in the little window, but that didn't make it any less magnificent. The peaceful and loving expression of YunHo and both their shining eyes sparkling due to the lights in the window were letting his heart beat faster, his cheeks coloured in a dark shade of red when he locked his blue eyes with YunHo's warm brown ones through the glassy surface. A glow was surrounding them, the chain of lights making it heavenly in the darkness of the late evening.

The cold wind was softly brushing through JaeJoong's black hair when YunHo slowly and gently spun him around, cupping the latter's reddened face with his hands as he leaned in. Single coloured leaves were dancing around them when they shared a loving kiss, the wind brushing through the tree next to the little lighting store. Both felt warm inside despite the coldness of September around them and the freezing wind brushing through their hair and clothes. Everything they needed to be warm was the presence of the other one close to their heart.

JaeJoong closed his eyes, new tears spilling from them when he couldn't stand the longing gaze of YunHo any longer, the memory of their togetherness making it so hard for him to breathe. His entire form was trembling, lips quivering when he slightly turned his head away.

“W-why are you here?” he asked ever so softly with a faint trembling voice, slowly embracing himself with his arms to get control over his shivering body. It was to no avail.

“I miss you,” YunHo replied, sadness audible in his voice when he took a step further towards JaeJoong. But JaeJoong stepped slightly back, his body shivering even more with the battle inside of him. On the one hand, he wanted nothing else but to be embraced by YunHo, but on the other, he was still too afraid of what might happen. It was too early for him to fight the battle of his life, still too early to confront Jung HaeWon and to claim what he still thought and hoped was his.

“D-don't,” he whispered, new tears streaming down his cheeks and trembling hand reaching out to stop YunHo from coming closer. He was a fraidy-cat through and through, he knew, but he was uncertain above all. Uncertain, if YunHo still wanted him. Uncertain, if they were still boyfriends and meant to be.

“Jae,” YunHo tried once more, the subtle sad voice breaking JaeJoong's heart into little pieces.

“You should go,” JaeJoong whispered ever so softly, his heart sinking to the depths of his stomach with every choked out word. He was at the verge of breaking down into tears when he saw nothing but confusion and hurt in YunHo's eyes.

An oppressive silence fell over the small chamber, just the swirling December wind soughing through it due to the glass door being ajar. YunHo's heart was aching enormously, the dumbstruck and hurtful expression on his face deepening when JaeJoong turned away from him, sobbing into his own cold embrace. His feet and body were heavy, numb from the coldness of December that was still coursing through his every nerve when he slowly turned around. His heart was ripped, feeling as if someone was poking with a thin needle into the pumping organ.

“You don't love me, right?” his cracked voice resounded through the silent room when he stood in front of the glass door, his hand already on the edge to open it fully. His eyebrows were furrowed when tears streamed out of his eyes freely, his grip on the glass door tightening. “Everything we shared. Does it mean nothing to you?” he whispered, not noticing that JaeJoong was crying his eyes out, crumbled into a small heap on the floor.

“Goodbye then?” YunHo breathed, asking himself and his aching heart that still wanted to hold onto JaeJoong. He slowly shuffled over to the tree he had climbed up earlier, reaching his hand out to hold onto a thick branch.

“Don't.” A whisper was carried to his ears, fragile, soft and about to break. It made him stop in his tracks for the split of a second before he was about to proceed.

“Don't leave me.”