Prologue

Like the ocean

It was a cold night at the end of January when the young Kim JangLi was in labour and came into the hospital in Seoul. She was all alone in the delivery room, surrounded by nurses and her doctor when she gave birth to her son on the 26th of January 1986.

The nurses were rather surprised when they cleaned the small boy who was completely healthy. They couldn't explain why he was different than any other baby when it came to that part of his face, even though he had Korean parents. They hadn't thought about the odd experience from earlier any longer when they carried the small boy to his waiting mother, the baby almost sleeping in their arms. They left the young mother with her newborn son alone, the odd sight from earlier already forgotten.

Kim JangLi was holding her son in her arms, giving him the name JaeJoong. She traced his soft facial features with her fingers gently, looking with a soft smile down into the sleeping boy's face. Her face lit up even more because JaeJoong slowly opened his eyes. She was surprised yet so fascinated by these big round innocent eyes that were staring back at her.

“Like the ocean,” she whispered, staring into JaeJoong's large eyes. They were sparkling brightly, letting the deep blue in his eyes shine even more as he giggled and smiled widely at his mother. A blue so fascinating and yet it would lead the innocent JaeJoong into hardships he would have to go through all alone, his only support: his young mother.