Obviously Oblivious: Part IV

Polaroid

[PART 4]

     A week later, Momo was called into his father’s office in their mansion for a talk. Momo groaned. He didn’t really like where this will going. He totally knew that the old man was up for something again.

     “I heard from the Myoui that you sent Mina home yesterday.” The older Hirai said as soon as Momo sat on the chair in front of his desk. Hirai Kazama had his glass on his nose bridge and he just finished reading some document. Momo didn’t open his mouth instead, he nodded uninterested.

   “Take a good care of her. She is Myoui Akira’s precious daughter. He wouldn’t want something happen to her.” Kazama continued. What? Isn’t I am your son too? Then why you treat me like little piece of ? Momo thought. He was raging inside but he knew this wasn’t the moment to start any argument. It was irritating though.

    “So, what’s the point you calling me in?” Momo asked straight to the point. He knew that there’s no way the old Hirai asked him to come to his office just to ask about yesterday matter. “I would like it if you talk straight to the point.”

    Kazama fixed the glass on his nose and leaned over the table to get a better look on his son. “I intend to make you send and fetch her from the college. What do you say?”

    “What?” Momo scrunched up his face. “Why would I do that? Her family is rich and she could afford the chauffeur to send and fetch her from college.” Momo reasoned out. The news caught him off guard. It’s supposed to be a great day for him and his father just had to crumble down his spirit.

    “Because I said so.” Kazama replied to Momo’s question. Momo shook his head. “No, I won’t.”

    “You have to. I already talked to Akira about this and he agreed. I couldn’t take back my words.” Kazama said firmly.

   Momo stood up and slammed his hand on the desk, causing a loud banging sound. Kazama was shocked with Momo’s sudden outburst but remained his calm face.

    “Why would you suggest that in the first place?! You knew it all the time that none of us agreed to this marriage! You forced us! You just had to ruin my life and freedom!” Momo burst. His eyes were raging in red colour and veins were visibly popping from his neck. Kazama sighed.

    “Calm down, young man. It’s for the best.” He said. Momo swept his hair harshly and turned back to glare at the old man. “You! You never guide me to do the right thing in life ever since mother left us! All you just did was telling me off for this and that, never praise me when I did a good job or rather, lock me in the room and shouted for me to study! And you just said the best thing for me? Am I a toy, or your son?”

   “You’re my son.”

   “I doubt that, Mr. Hirai. I never felt a parental love ever since a decade ago.” Momo said. “That’s it. I’m having it done here.” Momo turned his heels and was about to leave the office when he heard his father dominant voice. “You still have to fetch Myoui’s daughter.”

    And the very next day, Momo stopped his motorbike in front of the Myoui’s residence. It was five minutes later when the front gate was opened and revealed Mina in her casual outfit, ready to go to the class.

    “Hop on.” Momo didn’t say much and passed the helmet harshly to Mina, fixing his position on the bike. He heard a faint click of the safety helmet and assumed for Mina to hop on, but it never happen. Momo frowned and threw his gaze on Mina, a little bit pissed off. “Hop on.” He repeated.

    Mina looked down and was fidgeting her fingers, until Momo called her again. “Do you hear me or not?” Momo asked. His voice was a toned higher and Mina found herself nervous under Momo’s fierce glare.

   “Uhm…” Mina opened to say something, but closed it again as soon after that. The truth is, she was thinking on how to hop on the bike without much difficulty, or rather touching any parts of Momo’s body. Please understand, his motorbike passenger seat was high and Mina found it difficult to hop on that.

   “What is your problem actually?” Mina finally looked up only to meet under Momo’s gaze. “I-I don’t know how to hop on that. It’s high…” Mina mumbled but she was lucky that Momo can vbarely heard that. She couldn’t afford if Momo scolding her in her household area. Her father might heard them fighting and will interrogate her later.

    “.”

    Mina shut her eyes closed as she heard Momo clicked her tongue and let out a cursed. Then she heard movements and Momo’s voice. “Hold onto my shoulder.”

    “But—“

     “It’s okay.” Momo cut. “Just be fast, stupid. We’re running late and you sure don’t want to hear me shouting at you.”

    “O-Okay…” Mina took a deep breath. She lifted her hand and place it on Momo’s shoulder for supports. With a slight jump, she succeed riding the bike. Momo started the engine and proceed to drive them to college. But typical Momo, he liked to drive thing fast, so he was speeding and made Mina felt terrified at the back.

     He could felt the tense under Mina’s skin on his shoulder and he doesn’t willing to slow down even a little bit. So what he did, he grabbed Mina’s hands on his shoulder and brought it around his waist. Mina was too afraid to open her eyes and just tightened the hug around Momo’s waist. Mina pulled her body closer and leaned on Momo’s broad back, whimpered in silence.

      “Hold me tight.” Momo whispered and speeding his bike the whole way to college.

      The whole faculty was talking when some of the student saw Momo’s arrival, but he wasn’t alone. From what they have been talking, they couldn’t see who was the girl that riding on the same bike with Momo since she was wearing the helmet. The subject of the talking weren’t paying much attention to the crowd surrounding both of them, as if they were in their own world.

      But the world felt like hell.

     Mina was troubling having her helmet off so Momo had to hop down his bike to help her with it. Momo clicked his tongue in annoyance while taking his helmet off harshly from Mina. “You’re troubling me.” He gritted his teeth. Mina looked down in silence and mumbled an apologised.

     “When do you finish your class?” Momo asked.

    “At five.” Mina answered, finally taking her eyes off the ground. She knew how Momo hates that people wasn’t looking at him while talking.

     “I will be here at that time. Go now.” Momo turned away and Mina excused to go. Students still didn’t stop talking and watched as Mina walked into the hallway. Mina was confused but decide to focus to go to her class.

     Exactly at five, Mina rushed to the said spot and saw Momo already waiting at his bike. He was playing games on his phone that he didn’t realise that Mina was coming.

    “Momo…” Mina called. Though her voice is soft and slow, that caught Momo off guard and resulting him to lose on the game. “Oh, !” Momo cussed and Mina was taken aback. Momo looked up to see whoever was disturbing him playing game.

    “The hell are you startling me?! You !” Momo scolded. Mina muttered a soft ‘sorry’ and looked down. Momo caught a glance of Mina’s eyes that were glassy and how tears started threatening to fall. He sighed. A slight guilty appeared deep in his cold heart. Really, Mina is making him turns crazy at any moment. Look at what he just did. He just freaking feeling guilty for the girl.

     “Enough. Let’s just get you home.” Momo passed his helmet and Mina took it. Momo noticed how Mina silently wiped her tears while taking the helmet from Momo’s hand. She thought that Momo wasn’t watching, but he did. He really did saw it clearly. But he also noticed that Mina looked so pale.

      “Wait,” Momo stopped Mina from wearing the helmet. He cupped Mina’s jaw and turned the girl’s face left and right to inspect her condition. “When did the last time you eat?” He asked but it was firm.

       Mina was nervous but she answered it anyway. “At ten. I ate sandwich. But really, I’m okay.”

      “Are you stupid? Just yesterday you’re troubling me for not eating, and now you’re repeating the same act?” Momo scolded.

       “I-I was so busy that I didn’t see the time. My schedule is packed too.” Mina replied to Momo. “I’m sorry.”

      Momo was so pissed. He don’t know why but he was so stressed today. And Mina had to add some more problems. If they were alone, Momo probably scolded Mina off but they were in the college area. People were watching. Oh, right. Momo just realised. Why did so many people watching them?

    “Damn it.” He muttered. “Let’s talk somewhere else.” He gestured Mina to wear the helmet and after she hop on the back seat, Momo drove them away out from the college area, where people from the faculty won’t see them talking or rather arguing.

     Fifteen minutes of driving later, Momo stopped at a meat restaurant. He entered the premise with Mina trailing behind. After ordering, they had to wait for a little while the vendor preparing their food. The waiting felt too long for both of them.

      “Enjoy your food!” The vendor said and left Momo and Mina alone at their table with uncooked meat. Momo took the meat and grilled it on the pan. Mina just watching as Momo worked. After a while, Momo took the first meat to cook and placed it in Mina’s rice bowl.

      “Eat.” He didn’t said anything after that that left Mina confused.

     Momo was what Mina called a cold-hearted person, but after spending two quick days with him, she doubted that. Momo’s way in taking care of her is very unique, and she believed that Momo is actually a warm-hearted person. It just that he don’t really show it obvious that he care for someone.

     Mina let out a small smile looking at the piece of meat that Momo gave earlier. “Thank you.” She muttered slowly and it was goes unnoticed by Momo. He was busy grilling other meat but eventually, he saw that Mina was grinning and looking so stupid while staring at her bowl.

      “Are you gonna eat or not?” He asked.

      Mina was flustered and picked up her chopstick almost immediately. “I-I will eat.”