Eyes for You

Polaroid

     The mop was dipped into the soap water inside the pail. It was later pulled out and being squeezed out on the tile floor of the deserted café. The blonde had been too immersed in working with the floor until she didn’t recognise that someone was approaching her from behind.

     “Momo-ssi,” called the person, successfully gaining the blonde’s attention for a while. The person greeted with the same smile that Momo has offered. “You can stop now. It passed 10 pm already.” She reminded, glancing over her Casio watch circling around her wrist.

     “Oh, it’s okay, Jihyo-ssi. I got this in a few minutes.” Momo replied with a rather awkward smile, then turned to continue her paused work. Jihyo shook her head, releasing a soft sigh along that. She then stepped forward and took the mop in Momo’s hand, again gaining the blonde’s attention.

     “No, it’s not okay. It had passed your shift and I can’t let my worker working overtime. It’s breaching my café’s policy.” Jihyo said sternly, hoping that the hardworking girl will understand. Instead, Momo shook her head and took the mop back from Jihyo.

     “If then, just let me keep this in the store room.” She said. Jihyo couldn’t say anything less. She nodded and Momo trotted away with the pail and the mop in her hand. In the mean of time, Jihyo diverted her big eyes all over the room and scanning the condition of her café. All in place. Her workers had done cleaning everything and already gone home a few minutes ago and the only left was Momo. At the thought of the girl, she sighed again.

     From what she had known for the past three months, Momo is really a hardworking girl. She won’t let anything distracting her from doing her work. From watching over the counter, cleaning the café, it’s all satisfying and Jihyo really fond of the latter. Jihyo sometimes considered giving Momo a bonus in her paid, just to appreciate the hard work. Momo refused it before, but this is Jihyo that we are talking about. Nothing goes against her will.

     Seeing Momo walking out from the staff room with her sling bag, Jihyo took the honor to approach the latter. “Momo-ssi, may we talk for a while?” Momo frowned, wondering what her boss wanted to talk about. She nodded and Jihyo gestured to stand closer to Momo.

     After some moments, Jihyo started to break the silence. “How was Mina-ssi?” Momo was totally taken aback of Jihyo’s question. It was too random and never had Jihyo being this discreet to talk about the girlfriend of hers. Momo composed herself and fixed her sweater first before replying to Jihyo’s question.

     “She’s doing well. Why are you asking?” Momo took turn to ask Jihyo back. She was just feeling weird for Jihyo to suddenly ask about mina. For what had she known, Jihyo had only met Mina once, and it was a month ago, when Mina decided to crash over at Momo’s work place after ending her shift at the pottery workshop.

     “Just wondering. It have been a while since last I saw her. You know that I have talked to her for a moment while you were busy being a cashier.” Jihyo answered with a shrug. “She’s fun to talk to. I wonder why you don’t bring her here again.”

     Momo’s frowned finally ceased over her forehead. She was just being a paranoid. She should have known that Jihyo is one of a friendly angel, who can warm up with anyone she just met, also one of the reason why people would like to visit her café. Even Mina her girlfriend, that always have a shy character, enjoyed being with Jihyo. She remembered the same night that Mina was saying that she’s comfortable with Jihyo, and that she was kind. Momo was grateful to that. Not all people can be inside Mina’s comfortable territory. For now, only Momo and Jihyo.

     “She’s been working in a big pottery project. Quite busy.” Momo grinned. “Maybe I should bring her here again later in the future. Since she enjoy talking to you too.”

     With that statement, Jihyo beamed her brightest smile. “Really?” Momo nodded. “She was all over you that night. I wonder if she fall for you.” Momo tried to joke and both of them laughed.

     “That would be terrible for you then,” Jihyo replied. They talked for a while until Jihyo bringing back the topic that she first wanted to talk about. “Erm, Momo?” They already warmed up with each other and decided to drop the honorifics when nobody’s around.

     Momo looked up in respond to Jihyo’s call. “Yep?”

     Jihyo fidgeted for a while, wondering if she should say the word or not. After a while, she decided to just go for it. “Have you ever wish for Mina to see… you?”

     Momo’s smile on her face faded, and was replaced with a stoic expression. The silence that engulfed them really made Jihyo uncomfortable, feeling like she was sitting on fire. She knew she shouldn’t ask that kind of question. Guess that curiosity killed the cat then. Jihyo swear that she was the damn cat.

     “Momo…? Erm, it’s really okay if you don’t want to answer—“

     “I have.”

     Jihyo widened her eyes. She thought that Momo won’t answer her question. After all, it was sensitive. Jihyo remembered a month ago where she met Mina, as Momo introduced to her as her girlfriend. Mina greeted her with a bright smile and she swear that Mina was so beautiful, but Jihyo wondered why she wasn’t looking into her eyes while talking.

     Momo had noticed that and guided Mina to face Jihyo properly. “She is here,” Jihyo heard Momo whispered into Mina’s ears. Mina’s face changed into panic and bowed again, this time, facing Jihyo correctly.

     “Sorry, I can’t see. Once again, my name is Mina. Nice to meet you.”

     And that’s when Jihyo learnt that Mina was blind. She was overwhelmed, about how happy Mina sound even when she in that condition. Momo gave her a look, the one that she can’t define, but it intrigued Jihyo’s heart. Momo probably thought that she was pitying over her girlfriend. But Jihyo wasn’t like that. Jihyo asked if she could accompany Mina while Momo finish her shift.

     “I have once.” Momo said again. “But when I thought about it again, it doesn’t matter anymore. As long as she with me, I will be fine. We will be fine. And that thought really bring us well over four years.” She said. Jihyo nodded silently.

     She wondered, how loyal Momo is to Mina even the latter was categorized as imperfect at other people’s eyes. Momo seemed to notice Jihyo’s face expression and she smiled.

     “I love her so much, Jihyo. So much that it hurts if I lose her. I would regret my whole life if wasn’t to protect her. Even people thought negatively about us, I won’t budge, I swear to God. Mina would forever carved in my heart.” Momo ended with another smile. Jihyo was amazed. Their love must be so strong.

     They talked for about twenty minutes, until Momo remembered that she had to make a move now before the last bus to take her home will leave. Jihyo bid her good bye and she also packed up her things and left after lock the front door.

     Momo did caught the last bus to home and now sitting on the seat at the back with a few people in the same vehicle. Momo hoped that Mina won’t be too worried on her, since she was late today. Momo could just called her, but the bus stopped and she rushed over to left. She forgot about calling Mina as she suddenly remembered that there’s something she need to buy by the 24 hours convenience store near her residence.

     Walking outside with a black plastic bag, Momo rushed to home as it getting too dark for a girl to be outside. Five minutes worth of walking, Momo reached her old apartment that she lives happily with her girlfriend, despite the small space they had. But they were fine. Small space means that they can be side by side every time. Momo grinned at the thought.

     “Tadaima!” Momo exclaimed as soon as she parked her old pair of converse at the entrance. She heard a ruffling sound of footsteps and when she looked up, a body crashed into her, making her stumbled on the wall behind her. “Mitang!” She yelped.

     The body won’t budge and instead tightened the hug. Momo laughed at her girlfriend clinginess and returned the hug.

     “I thought something might happened to you on the way home.” The girl in her embrace mumbled. Her voice was so soft that Momo almost had it run pass her ears if she didn’t pay enough attention. “I’m just fine, Mitang. I talked to Jihyo before going home and didn’t realise the time was running.” She reasoned.

     “You could have call me.” Mina said. “The weather outside is pretty cool, isn’t it? You should have bring another coat.” Mina pulled out of the hug and brought her hand up to touch Momo’s face. “Look, your nose is cold. You might catch a cold.”

     Momo laughed. She took Mina’s hand that was on her nose and brought it to her lips, kissing it tenderly. “Enough worrying about me, worry-wart.” Momo touched her nose. She then slipped her arms around Mina’s waist and pulled her closer until their body in contact. She leaned down and kissed Mina’s forehead tenderly.

     “Hey, I bought your favourite ketchup.” Momo said. She guided Mina’s hand to touch the thing in the plastic bag.

     “Heinz?” Momo nodded, and later thought that it was silly for Mina can’t see her. She then answered with a hum. “Anything for my Mitang.”

     Mina rubbed her hands against Momo’s arm, tugging her clothes. Momo knew this already and leaned down. Mina tiptoed and pecked on Momo’s lips. “Thank you, Momoring!”

     After that, Momo walked into the kitchen with Mina’s clinging on her. Mina said that she cooked Momo some food. Momo beamed at the mention of food and immediately sat at the small table in the kitchen with Mina sat opposite of her.

     Though Mina can’t see, she can cook some simple recipes really well. This is one of the reason why Momo fell so hard for the latter. She’s independent and wouldn’t like being a burden. Since Momo insisted on herself finding money for both of them, Mina insisted to treat Momo like a princess (even Momo knew Mina was the actual princess and she was the prince charming).

     “How was the soup?” Mina asked as she heard Momo slurping on the warm liquid she just reheat. Momo took a spoonful of rice and devoured it with the seaweed soup again. Momo munched gleefully, swallowing with careful and beamed the brightest smile for Mina.

     “It’s really good!” Momo exclaimed. “You could be a professional cook like this!” Mina thought that Momo was exaggerating. They laughed it off and Momo kept telling Mina’s joke (even the lame one that she took from Jeongyeon, her best buddy) and Mina being the kind one to laugh at it all.

     After the meal, Momo took a shower while Mina preparing the bed. It was an easy task to do so Momo just let Mina do it. Mina also prepared Momo’s sleepwear (her usual ‘duck’ T-shirt and a jog pants). Momo came out with wet hair and towel wrapped around her. She saw that Mina was busy preparing for her shirt and didn’t notice that the bathroom door opened sound. Momo smirked and tiptoed into Mina’s direction, standing behind the oblivious girl.

     Only then, Mina heard nothing (no shower sound), that she called for Momo. “Momo? Are you done?” Momo kept mummed at the back, stifling her laugh. Mina called again, a little worried. Momo noticed in her wavering voice.

     “Momo…?”

     Momo gave up in covering her laugh and blew up her cover by hugging Mina from behind. Mina was so shocked by that and screamed.

     “Wow, you actually screamed.” Momo teased. Mina pouted and turned to hit Momo repeatly. Momo moved around to avoid Mina’s rapid hand movement. “Momo!”

     Momo had a really nice laugh. “Mina, if you don’t stop hitting me, my towel will fall!” Momo said, one hand holding her towel while the other one shielding Mina’s hand.

     “It’s fine, I couldn’t see it. You can even walk around the house if you want.” Mina replied and continued hitting Momo. Momo caught both Mina’s hand and that halted her movement. After calming down a bit, Momo leaned down and pecked Mina’s lips.

     “I really enjoyed teasing my penguin.” Mina still pouted. Momo leaned down and gave another kiss, this time lingered a little longer. “There. Like it?” Mina nodded and smiled. Momo wore her shirt after that and lied on the mattress. She called for Mina.

     “Do you want a massage?” Mina asked, settling herself beside Momo on the mattress. Momo agreed and turned for her back to faced Mina. Mina climbed on top of Momo, making herself in comfortable position before massaging the tired blonde.

     “Your muscles are all stiff.” Mina commented while slowly massaging Momo’s shoulder. Momo hummed in respond. She sometimes groaned as Mina got the place right. Her tension shoulder was now okay after Mina’s soft touch. Mina’s hands continued moving down to Momo’s back. Momo groaned again.

     “Is this okay?” Mina asked after a while. “A little bit to the left. Ah, yes. Right there.” Momo said. After working on Momo’s back, Mina moved from sitting on her back onto the mattress. She was now massaging Momo’s legs.

     “Thank you, Mitang~” Momo said gratefully. From all that Mina’s magic touch, Momo found herself fresh and less tense. She can now sleep properly. Momo lied on her back and pulled Mina down to lay beside her. She let Mina using her arm as her pillow. Mina snuggled closer, as her nose touched Momo’s exposed neck. Momo shuddered.

     “Are you sleepy already?” Mina asked. Fingers playing with the hem of Momo’s T-shirt collar, tugging it and slowly tracing on the older girl’s collarbone. Not that Momo mind, but she found herself relax under Mina’s caresses.

     “Not yet.”

     Mina kept playing with Momo’s shirt—a habit of her if something bothering her. Momo knew the younger girl well, asking what’s the thing that bothering her. Mina just shook.

     “I miss you,” Mina said. A sigh escaped between Momo’s luscious lips and she cuddled into Mina, holding the girl between her arms. Mina snuggled closer.

     “I’m just right beside you.” Momo whispered softly. Silence engulfed them for a good minute then Mina returned back into breaking the moment. “I know. I don’t want you to leave me.”

     This again. Momo hates it when Mina is overthinking. Sometimes Mina would feel down because everyone she loves would ended up leaving her all alone, just like her parents. You see, Mina’s blindness wasn’t from she was born, but it happened after the terrible accident thirteen years ago that cost her parents life and one of her sense. Since then, Mina became an independent girl, despite all the hates and negatives comment by the public on a poor girl like her. Until finally she met Momo.

     Momo came into her life like a first snow. She’s bringing love and joy to Mina in the midst of cold winter. In this case, Mina’s dark and pitiful life. Mina thought herself as pathetic for cannot living alone without Momo since then, but then again, Momo is there to assure her about her presence. Momo is an angel.

     “I won’t leave you.” Momo said softly. Her hand slowly drawing circle on Mina’s back. “I will marry you.”

     “Promise?”

     Momo smiled. “I promise.” The two words successfully dragged Mina’s anxiety away. Momo was grateful to that. It was true, what she said. She will really marry Mina and make the latter her wife. For now, Momo will focus onto making Mina smiles every day.

     Mina hummed in Momo’s warm embrace, as both of them finally felt their eyes drooping after silence. Both of them finally drifted off to dreamland.

     The next day, Momo remembered her promise to bring Mina to meet Jihyo. This morning, Momo just mentioned her boss name to her girlfriend and guess what, Mina was so happy of the idea of meeting her new friend. Seems like Mina really favoured the kind Jihyo. Momo doesn’t mind at all.

     “Morning, Jihyo-ssi.” Momo greeted her boss with honorific, since they were other workers. Jihyo who was busy calculating their café expenses, decided to drop it down and greeted Momo back with the same enthusiast smile.

     “Oh, Momo-ssi!” She also recognised the figure behind Momo. “Mina-ssi?” She beamed. Mina came out from Momo’s back and returned the smile. “Morning, Jihyo-ssi. Nice to meet you again.”

     And for that long, Mina stayed in Jihyo’s office. They talked about many things, for Jihyo the friendly angel and Mina who are comfortable around the big eyes girl. Momo was relieved that Mina was okay. She silently thanking her boss.

     This happened for a few weeks. Mina frequently visit on Jihyo’s café to hang out with the owner itself, and going back home with her girlfriend after that. No, Momo isn’t jealous at all. In fact, she glad that Mina have new friend.

     One day, after Momo finished her shift, Jihyo called for her. They sat in Jihyo’s office in silence, until the big eyes girl broke it.

     “Momo, I don’t know how to say this…” Jihyo’s words travelled. “… I found a donor.”

     Momo’s face turned into a frown. She was confused and had zero idea of what Jihyo was talking about. Pushing her nervousness away, Jihyo explained to Momo slowly.

     “An eyes donor.” She gulped. Eyes widely looking for the change of Momo’s expression. “I remembered the day you said you had wished for Mina to see again. And you see, I had a friend named Nayeon who was a doctor in Seoul Capital Hospital. I asked a few days ago for any eyes donor and she said she will help.” Jihyo paused.

     “Yesterday, she called me and said there was a potential donor for eyes, since they will announce him with brain dead from an accident few days ago.” Jihyo noticed a twitch on Momo’s face. “And this morning… the patient was announced as dead. Since he signed in donating his organ, seven people will be receiving his organ. Nayeon saved the eyes for… Mina.”

     Momo was speechless. She didn’t know what to respond. This is too overwhelmed.

     “Momo…?” Jihyo called, seeing no reaction from Momo. “I know I may intrude a little in your life… but I also wanted the best for Mina. You guys are so cute together.”

     “But after all, it’s up for your decision with Mina.”

     Momo’s eyes began to water. She stood up almost immediately, making the chair she had sat on fell back and lunged for Jihyo. Jihyo stood up and Momo crashed her body with Jihyo, hugging her tightly while sobbing hard. Jihyo was panicked.

     “M-Momo?”

     “Thank you so much, Jihyo-ah!” Momo said gratefully between sobs. She hugged the girl more tightly. “I don’t know how to repay you.”

      Jihyo sighed in relieve and hugged Momo back. “It’s fine.”

     That night, Momo returned to home with so much happiness. As soon as she entered her apartment, she searched for Mina and luckily the latter was cooking in the kitchen. Momo walked and engulfed Mina in a tight hug. Mina whimpered.

     “M-Momoring…” Momo released the hug and lifted Mina off the ground. Mina didn’t expect that and yelped. “Momo, I am cooking right now!”

     “Oh, sorry.” Momo put her back down.

     “What’s the matter?” Mina turned to ask Momo after turning off the stove. She faced Momo and Momo took her time for not bursting into happy tears again. She cradled Mina’s face, pecking her lips.

     “I found eyes for you, babe.” Momo said. “You will get to see me soon.” She continued with glee. Mina was frozen in her spot.

     “R-Really…?” She almost can’t believe it. Momo hummed. “Jihyo and her friend helped us.” Mina quickly burst into tears and Momo hugged her again. She sobbed hard on Momo’s chest.

     “Can I finally can see the world again? Can I see you?” Mina asked. Momo nodded on top of Mina’s head. “Yes, baby. You can see me.” She said.

     Momo pulled off the hug and faced Mina. She bent down so her eyes would be level as Mina’s. “And on the first day you open your eyes, I will be right by your side.”

     “And after that…” Momo held both of Mina’s hand. “… I will propose to you and we get married, okay?”

     Mina nodded vigorously as her remaining tears came down again. Momo took the initiative to wipe it with her thumb.

     “I love you so much, Mina.” Momo whispered. Mina replied with the same hushed voice.

     “I love you too, Momo.” She smiled. “Thank you for staying with me.”

     “Anything for my Mina.”

     They slowly leaned in, until their lips met, proposing into a sweet kiss. Mina encircled her arms around Momo’s neck, while Momo pulled Mina closer until their body came in contact. The kiss went for a good few minutes and they pulled off for oxygen.

     “Let’s live a good life, together.” Momo said while their forehead still touching, while both of their eyes closing. Never had they fell so in love with each other. Momo leaned in again, for the second kiss with her girlfriend, or her soon-to-be wife.