Chapter 3

Backstage Dream

It was another late night with Luhan in the practice studio. The music blasted as loud as ever, despite the late time being displayed on the wall clock. Both Seohyun and Luhan were drenched in sweat, panting as they took a water break.

Seohyun stole another glance at Luhan. She found she couldn't even look him in the eye if they weren't dancing without feeling her heart rate accelerate and her face heat up. He seemed as unaffected and emotionless as ever.

Seohyun inwardly groaned at herself. She couldn't understand her feelings towards Luhan. Yes, he was handsome. Yes, he was talented. But neither of those traits affected her.

As much as she didn't want to admit it, Seohyun knew exactly what it was.

It was the way they fit together like two pieces of a puzzle when they danced. It was the way they guided each other's bodies with the rhythm. It was the way they became one entity, one body when they danced, perfectly united with each other and the beat. It was a high like no other, and Seohyun was addicted.

She quickly looked away again when Luhan turned to face her, focusing on anything but his sparkling eyes. "Actually, I kinda want to go outside for some air. Wanna come?"

"Sure," Seohyun replied uneasily. They had never went outside before, not at this hour, but she could use some air too. Luhan got up and exited the room, Seohyun following closely behind. They went out the back door and Seohyun felt the crisp night air hit her face refreshingly. She followed Luhan off the dirt path leading to the road and onto the small lawn surrounding the SM building. Suddenly, he stopped and spun around to face her. His face was illuminated by the full moon in the sky, cast in a stark white color, eyes glittering with an indecipherable expression on his face.

"Dance with me?" he asked quietly. Seohyun swallowed thickly. What did he mean by dance with him?

"Here?" she whispered shakily. He nodded in reply. She gulped nervously. The air seemed to thicken around them, slowing down time in their own little universe.

Luhan flashed his shining smile, the one that made Seohyun's heart flutter, and her heart decided she could trust him in that moment. "Okay."

She put her hands on his arms as he put his on her waist, making her jump ever so slightly. They had danced closely before, but this felt different somehow. They began to step together to the slow beat of a silent waltz. After a few minutes, Seohyun relaxed. This was nice actually, just the two of them and the moon above them.

When Luhan finally broke the silence, he spoke so softly she could barely hear him. "I actually have something to tell you."

Seohyun's mind raced with possibilities. Something about work? "Mhm?"

"I like you. A lot."

Seohyun's body froze, and their slow waltz came to an abrupt stop. He liked her? Since when?

Before her mind could react, her heart was already singing a song of joy. He liked her! Now she could finally tell him!

She must have hesitated for too long however, because she suddenly felt his hands drop from her waist and the warmth emanating from his body near hers disappear. "I'm sorry, it's okay if you don't-"

"I like you," she cut him off instantly, a surprising calm and confident tone to her voice. "I like you too." For the first time in a week, she looked him straight in the eyes, and for the first time, she saw a vulnerable Luhan, one who had feelings just like anyone else.

It made her heart soar like never before.

"You- you do?" he stuttered. Seohyun smiled. So he had a human side.

"I do."

The smile that followed shone even brighter than the moonlight.