Confrontation

Maturity

 

"Come in." 

The couple looked and nodded at each other, before opening the door to see Naeun's father sitting comfortably in his seat, as if he was waiting for them.

"Hello father. It's been awhile since we've met." bowed Eunji in 90-degrees, speaking with the most polite and formal gestures ever in her life.

"The last I've seen you was before you broke my daughter's heart and filed a divorce with her." The man responded straight-forwardly with a cold tone. He then proceeded to scan his eyes towards Eunji and Naeun holding their hands together. "You do know that she's already arranged to marry another man as a form of business contract." He said, clearing his throat.

"Appa, I'm not going to marry Taemin oppa." said Naeun, standing bravely in front of her father. "I don't care if it's going to ruin your business but I will not be happy if I spend my whole life with that man." she continued, noticing her father, raising his eyebrows.

There was silence after that as the man placed his hands together on the table, staring at the couple with a sigh.

"You do realise what you're doing, Naeun-ah?" The man asked. 

"I do. If you were to cancel the marriage contract, you would have to pay a fine of 10 billion won for rebursement. Not only that, you will lose 20% of your assets and shares including several of the properties you own in Gangnam." The girl explained calmly. She made good use of her experience gained during her father's business trips and used her new knowledge to fight against him. "Not only that, you will lose the trust of Lee Corporations and a failed partnership means another loss for a future investor worth over 100 billion won in shares."

"You've learnt well, Naeun-ah." the man said as he had a faint smile. "As expected of my daughter." he mumbled.

"Father. I've learnt my mistakes. I am at fault because I promised you to make Naeun the happiest girl in the world and....instead I broke her heart....I let her cry and feel so much pain in her life." Eunji said while pacing her momentum because whenever she was nervous, she would start speaking very fast. "I know I have upsetted you father, because I had been so focused on working hard to achieve your respect as a former vice president, I neglected Naeun." she confessed, causing the man to change his attention to her. "I was so stressed because I wanted to be a good daughter-in law and i just treated her like an employee."

The man kept quiet as he listened to Eunji's explaination calmly.

"I want to become a better woman for Naeun. I want to change myself and learn from my mistakes. After the divorce, I realised that it was a huge mistake. Being seperated apart, I missed her even more. That's when I knew, I love her so much. I was a fool for acting like that to Naeun and I promised to take care of her better." 

"The two of us want to fix our divorce. We want to get back together." said Naeun, supporting Eunji.

The man continued to look at them as there was another round of tense silence following after.

"It isn't easy to suddenly divorce and get together after that. The society doesn't work that way." He sighed. "Naeun-ah. Do you really, love Eunji?" the man asked as he raised his head.

"I love her dad and I will love her forever."

The man proceeded to turn his direction to the older girl.

"Eunji-ya."

"Yes, sir?" flinched Eunji. She wasn't sure what to expect and she was willing to accept anything at all. Whether it was a punishment or a price she had to pay, she was ready.

"You have to promise me that you will change and forever love my daughter. You've already broken it once but mistakes happen, even in a business world we make mistakes. I will give you one more chance." he said. "One more chance." he repeated.

Immediately, the couple's face lightened up.

"But appa...that means you'll cancel the marriage contract right?" Naeun wanted to make sure.

"If I force my daughter to marry a person whom she is unhappy with, that will make me a terrible father." the man said as he finally smiled, after keeping a straight, intimidating face.

"Appa!" Naeun smiled brightly as she went straight to her dad, hugging him with relief.

"Aigoo, it's been awhile since you've hugged your father like this Naeun-ah." The man laughed.

"Thank you so much father. I will keep my promise. I will make Naeun happy. Promise." Eunji said as she kept bowing. In one day, she hadn't felt so many feelings at one go. Feelings of happiness, relief yet a small sense of pressure and fear because of her father-in-law's words. Even so, it was set.

Eunji and Naeun are finally fixing the crack in their relationship, legally.

Learning from their mistakes and now, never letting go of each other,

It was another new step for the two of them, who have grown much more mature.

And promised to become better people.

 

 


 

 

Entering a completely white building located outside the busy city of Seoul, Chorong and Bomi managed to make an appointment with the doctor, Ilhoon one week ago in an attempt to find out what was wrong with the younger girl. The older girl did seem slightly suspicious over the surroundings of the strange man but she had a hunch that it was meant to be fate for them to meet him. It was a sign that Doctor Ilhoon might find the solution and end Bomi's sudden rage of jealousy once and for all.

Temporarily closing their restuarant and giving a rare day-off for their staff, it was the first time since their marriage that the two managed to leave to a faraway place. At first glance, no one would've thought that it was a hospital or let alone a therapy centre. It was similar to office buildings like the designs, Son Corportations had, simple, modern yet elegant.

"Unnie, you sure this is the right place?" asked Bomi in uncertainity.

"When I called him, he said it was this building. It's on the eleventh floor." The girl said, never letting go of her wife's hand. Ever since that incident, Chorong had more worries for Bomi. She was concerned that she might actually have a mental health problem, after re-analysing her wife's jealousy patterns throughout their whole 16 years of knowing each other.

"Hello, do you have an appointment?" greeted the receptionist at the counter. She was wearing in a full-white uniform, hair neatly tucked into a ponytail as the waiting room was also, fully painted in white and decorated with white furniture.

"Yes. I made an appointment with Doctor Ilhoon at 2pm today." replied Chorong.

"Alright. Please sit down, I will call the patient's name when it's your turn." The lady smiled, showing them to the dashing white seats at the corner.

As the couple sat down, Bomi couldn't help but to feel unusually calmer than usual. Perhaps, it's due to the completely white surroundings of the waiting room and there was not a single person around except for the two of them. Indeed, therapy centres were completely different from a general hospital.

"Unnie. If I'm sick, will you still love me?" Bomi mumbled.

"What nonsense are you saying? I'll stay with you no matter what happens." said Chorong, lightly hitting her hand. She had noticed Bomi being awfully quiet and less noisy ever since that day. She wasn't sure if it was because the girl was still feeling guilty of what she had done or worried over the fact that she might really be sick.

As the older girl stared at her, Bomi was distracted. She kept looking around, the white colours have completely gotten her attention. It was then Chorong leaned forward and gently pecked her cheek.

"Don't worry. You'll be fine." said Chorong with a smile.

"Mm. Even if I'm sick, I want to get better because I don't want to hurt you anymore." nodded Bomi as soon, her name was called and the couple were redirected into a room far into the white corridor. The nurse knocked on the door twice before opening in, welcoming the two into a completely white office room, with a wide window right behind the doctor's desk that showcased the beautiful blue skies from above. At the seat, was the doctor Chorong had met before. Doctor Illhoon. 

Dressed in his white coat, strikingly bright auburn hair and black glasses, he was a rather handsome man for a doctor.

"Do sit down. No need to worry too much. I've met you before, Miss Bomi." The man greeted in a friendly manner, shaking hands with the girl before doing the same with Chorong.

"Ah, yes. My wife told me about how you saw me drunk outside a bar and took me home. Thank you for doing that." Bomi bowed.

"No, it's nothing. It's just a simple act of kindness. I'm a doctor and I've heard many stories from my patients. Stories of sorrow, pain, heartache and all sorts, I know all kinds of people who all suffer from something. People, like you and as a doctor, I want to do my best to ease their pain and make them a better person." The man smiled. "Now then, before I start, I'll have you fill up this form and answer a few questions. It might take about 10 minutes or so. Don't worry, it's not a test." He continued as he handed a sheet to Bomi.

It was a list of all kinds of questions relating to her experiences with jealousy. The younger girl knew that she shouldn't be joking around and answered them honestly. It had been awhile since she was this serious. The last she had been was when she studied hard for her final year examinations back in high school.

 

 


 

 

The session continued for another half an hour as Chorong and Bomi both explained how the younger girl would get jealous all of sudden and sometimes, responded into a rage. While adding in stories back in high school and college, the doctor wrote down little notes as he came up with a solution.

"Let's try something." suggested Ilhoon as he took something out from his drawer. It was a silver timewatch. "Bomi-ssi, please proceed to the bed over there and just relax. Take a deep breath and look into this clock carefully" The man continued, swaying the timewatch in a constant motion while signaling the nurse to lower the intensity of the lights, making the room slightly dimmer. Chorong remained in her seat, observing the doctor.

"Relax. Clear your mind and take a deep breath. You're getting sleepy and you can't wait to escape into dreamland. Once you hear the snap of my fingers, you'll be able to drift into that world that has been waiting for your entrance." said Ilhoon in a calm, gentle tone almost like a mother whispering into the ears of its child. "Three.....two......one..." The man snapped his fingers and all of sudden, Bomi fell asleep. Chorong was quite astonished as she covered , hoping to not make a single noise during the therapy session.

"Now, you're travelling backwards in time. Far, far away to the days when you were younger. When was the first time you felt the sense of jealousy in your heart?" The man asked.

"With Soyou unnie." Bomi replied unconciously as her eyes remained close.

"May I ask, who is Soyou unnie? What kind of relationship did you have with her?"

"I can't remember. It seems very fuzzy that I can't even remember how she looks like."

"Try to think deeper Bomi-ssi. Find your way around the darkness."

There was silence after that.

"She.....She was my first girlfriend...." Bomi mumbled. 

"What did she do that made you jealous?"

"She hung out with everyone in her class, the boys and even the girls......I wasn't her only girlfriend.......she had many other girlfriends and boyfriends......" 

"And what happened after that?"

"I got angry so I came after her but instead, I went to her classroom and saw her making out with another girl......her name.....was Hyorin....." 

"What did you do with Hyorin?"

"I picked a fight with her. That's when Soyou came in and slapped me...it was the first time I felt my heart break apart....she told me that she was just playing around because I was just so young back then......I was a middle schooler, she was a third year senior in high school......" Bomi continued to mumble as tears finally flowed down her cheeks. It was then, Ilhoon signalled his nurse who then wiped Bomi's tears with a tissue.

"A week after feeling so betrayed, Soyou and Hyorin both got into a car accident and died on the spot. They were drunk driving. Since then, I wanted to forget everything about her and completely erase that horrible memory of mine.....because it hurt so much....."

"Is that why you wanted to change yourself when you entered high school?"

"Yes."

That was all the answer Doctor Ilhoon needed as he started writing down more things on his notebook.

"Thank you Bomi-ssi. As you continue to walk along the path of your memories, you will soon find a light at the end of the tunnel. When you hear the sound of my fingers snapping, you will find yourself awake and completely free of everything that has been worrying you. By the time you wake up, it will be a new you. A you who will no longer hold onto such dark memories and only look on to the future." Ilhoon said calmly. "Three.....Two.....One..." His fingers snapped as Bomi's eyes suddenly widened open while the lights returned back to normal.

The younger girl was dazed for a moment, blinking a few times at Ilhoon as she looked around the room.

"I'll give you some time to collect yourself. Chorong-ssi, you are allowed to head over to your wife while I key in some details." The man said, standing from his seat as he went back to his desk. The older girl immediately went to Bomi's side, holding her hands tightly.

Bomi was still very blank from what had just occured.

"Wha...What just happened?" asked Bomi as she got up from the bed, clearly very confused.

"I just performed a type of hypnosis therapy on you Bomi-ssi and we've gotten the answers towards your condition. Please, sit down so that I can explain further." said Ilhoon calmly as the couple went back to their seats. "The condition you have is called pathological jealousy. There are many ways that can occur this condition from happening and for your case, it's trauma from your childhood. Do you remember anything painful?" The doctor asked.

"No....I don't..." replied Bomi.

"That is because you have forced your own mind to erase such memories. It's possible for that to occur which is why you don't remember anything, even about the fact that you had a girlfriend called Soyou."

"H-Huh?!" 

"It's okay Bom-ah." said Chorong placing her hand on the girl, giving her comfort as a way to tell her that she didn't feel hurt when she found out that Bomi wasn't her first love.

"Don't pressure yourself to remember those memories as it will only bring hurt to you Bomi-ssi. As for now, I've figured out your condition and I know how to heal you." The man smiled. "You'll have to attend therapy sessions with me every week. Not only that, you are prevented from smoking and consuming alcohol from now on as these are the main triggers of your anger that contributes to your condition."

"D-Does that mean I'm sick?" asked Bomi with worried eyes.

"I don't want to call my patients sick but more of, emotionally unstable due to the wounds from their past. I want to help you Bomi-ssi but before I can do that, you have to trust me." 

Bomi looked at her wife, uncertain. But her smile from Chorong was all the answers she need.

"Alright. I'll do it Mr.Ilhoon. I want to get better, not just for my own sake but for my wife too." nodded Bomi.

"Wonderful." smiled the man. "Oh and, it would be good if the two of you, um, avoided ual for the time being." laughed Ilhoon in an awkward tone.

"R-Right...." laughed the couple as they looked at each other.

It was as if something heavy was lifted from their shoulders. Their burdens and worries have all disappeared because they finally found their answers.

Although Bomi was sick but that simply bonded the couple's love stronger.

 

 


 

 

The night two days after, the chicken feet restuarant was specially booked for a special occasion. It was a monthy gathering of the former six high school friends who finally managed to find time together. They had promised each other to at least meet up once a month to catch up on things happening in their lives.

"Welcome! As expected, the two of you are the earliest." said Bomi smiling brightly upon greeting the first customers. She had been feeling better since that incident. She was back to the usual, energetic and bright Yoon Bomi everyone knew.

"Where's Chorong unnie? I brought her some gifts as a token of thanks for reserving the whole restuarant for us." smiled Namjoo as she was carrying two bags that contained whole chickens.

"You don't have to do that for us Namjoo-ya~ Chorong unnie's in the kitchen preparing the food." 

"You sound like an old lady, Bomi unnie." laughed Hayoung.

"Shush just you wait when you hit 30." glared Bomi. "But I can't imagine when Chorong unnie hits her forties." she whispered.

"What was that Bom-ah?" said Chorong from the kitchen.

"N-Nothing unnie! Namjoo and Hayoung just arrived and got us some chicken!" flinched Bomi as she suddenly took Namjoo's gifts and headed straight into the kitchen, before signalling the couple to sit down first.

"I told you, they don't have a married couple vibe at all. It's just a master and dog." laughed Hayoung as she sat down.

"Don't say that!" whispered Namjoo, nudging her wife. "Gosh, although you did cut down on your ual desires but I guess not your vulgarity." she sighed.

"Sorry." smiled Hayoung, gently kissing her cheek.

"Oh my, did I come into the wrong restuarant?" asked a familiar voice from behind. It was Eunji, holding hands with Naeun.

"Don't sneak up on us like that!" said Hayoung, her face turning red.

"Aigoo, you're still the same. Why are you so shy about kissing in public?" grinned Eunji as she ruffled Hayoung's hair. 

"Oh! Eunji-ya! Naeun-ah!" said Bomi as she got out, smiling brighter than ever as she saw the two. "Con~gra~tu~lations~~~congratulations~~~" The girl suddenly sang a congratulatory song as she clapped her hands together.

"Hey, did you drink alcohol or something before hand? Why are you so hyperactive today?" laughed Eunji.

"Come on~ I was just congratulating you two because you're going to get married, again." said Bomi. "So when am I getting that free meal that I deserve?" she whispered.

"Shut up~" teased Eunji as she gently pushed Bomi's forehead away.

"Huh and who was the lawyer that helped you out and didn't even charge you a fee for those divorce papers? I had to go through all that work and now you two are marrying again...." mumbled Hayoung as she crossed her arms.

"Sorry, I'll treat you for a meal Hayoung-ah." laughed Eunji nervously.

"HEY THEN WHAT ABOUT ME?!" shouted Bomi.

"Gosh, you two are so noisy." sighed Chorong as she got out of the kitchen, hands full with food. Bomi rushed over to help her wife and serve the food on the table.

"Well, we're always noisy when we're together." laughed Namjoo.

As the six, noisy friends settled down with a scrumptious yet simple banquet that seemed to be fit for 20 people, of course alcohol shouldn't be left out.

"Ah, sorry I won't be drinking today." said Eunji, politely refusing the offer of having her drink poured. The four girls gasped in unison while Naeun giggled. It was far too unusual for the group's strongest drinker to not drink at this gathering.

"Wow Naeun unnie, what did you do to her?" asked Namjoo with a mouth wide open.

"Are you sure this is Eunji? The Eunji who loves to drink?!" said Bomi in shock.

"Let's just say a lot of things happened so I'm not going to drink. Don't worry, I'll tell you guys the story later. First, lets eat!" laughed Eunji.

"Thank you for the food!" said everyone in unison as they began to dig in.

The high school friends were always very chatty and talkative with each other. Listening to each other's stories, they would sometimes joke but also give serious advice to each other. From Hayoung's accidental cheating, Eunji's and Naeun's divorce story and Bomi's mental illness, they caught up about what was happening with their friends. But the funniest story, was the newlywed's first ual . It brought a lot of laughter in midst of the serious atmosphere because everyone knew, that was probably what Bomi would do, causing Chorong to flush in a red blush while the younger girl laughed away.

After all, they were old enough to talk about such topics. Unlike their high school days which were more innocent and had less problematic issues.

"I didn't know becoming an adult was so difficult." sighed Bomi.

"Well, we all have to grow up one day. Life doesn't wait for us." said Chorong.

"Unnie, you don't have to start a long 1-hour life talk about this." said Eunji to which she almost recieved a hit from the older girl.

"But sometimes I wish I could go back to those times back in high school. Those were really fun back then." said Namjoo.

"I cant believe I was so innocent back then." laughed Hayoung.

"Do you think we can turn the time back?" asked Naeun.

"I wonder, how did all six of us get together? Or rather, how did the six of us even fall in love with our partners?" asked Eunji.

 

The happy days of our youth, the innocence of our high school life that seemed so peaceful.

How did fate bring us six together?

 

--

 

A/N: Woohoo! Eunji and Naeun are getting back together and we finally found out Bomi's condition. Hope that she'll be able to get better soon. The next two following chapters are all about flashbacks. Stories of their high school days as we will look how these couples fell in love the first place, turning back the time. Just a friendly warning, the next two chapters are sort of "relief" or "happy" chapters before another big problem comes into place haha~ Thank you for reading! I will update soon~