Love

Maturity

 

 

Sitting quietly in their living room, Chorong waited for Bomi to start speaking. She too, had many things on her mind ever since that day. Hearing Irene's heartbreaking story, she learnt to not make the same mistakes again, in fear of losing Bomi. The younger girl on the other hand, wanted to have things fix quickly because she felt burdened as she was sick. 

"I'm sorry for what happened. I'm stupid. I should've never eaten those pills. I'm dumb." said Bomi as she looked down. She felt very guilty. It was because of her sickness that caused her to think so irrational and in the end, she hurt others. She never wanted to make people upset or disappointed. It was shameful for her own pride.

"I told you not to call yourself that." frowned Chorong. She didn't like how pessimistic Bomi was behaving lately. Ever since her trips to Ilhoon's therapy sessions, Bomi looked more down even though she acted like nothing was wrong. She knew. She knew that her wife was trying to mask her emotions with happiness, a fake happiness. She also noticed small little actions that Bomi never did, short sighs and scratching her neck. These were all too obvious signs that something was wrong. Chorong knew Bomi far too well. "You don't have to lie to me Bom-ah. I know what's wrong. You may always smile but I know inside, you're feeling down. I can see through your shield." she continued.

"So...you knew it all along huh?" laughed Bomi nervously as she began scratching her neck again for no reason. She was busted.

"I don't' want us to be hiding things from each other. Remember what we promised together? I told you about my scar, something that not even our high school friends know about."

"I know unnie. I know...." said Bomi as her smile disappeared.

"Bom-ah..."

"Tell me unnie. You know my story about Soyou don't you? I'm so confused. Why is it that Doctor Ilhoon knows about my past? Why is that you know about my past too? Even the nurses know about it, why not me?! I'm so frustrated. Please tell me unnie. Tell me about this past that he is trying to hide from me. Please." begged Bomi as she suddenly grabbed Chorong's hands.

There was silence after that.

Chorong remembered Ilhoon's words before. They had a private call about two weeks ago and it was a decision to not tell Bomi about her past, in order to protect her.

"I can't do that Bom-ah."

"Unnie! Not you too!" said Bomi suddenly bursting into anger. "I called Doctor Ilhoon and he also refused to tell me! I hate it when people hide things from me! Unnie's doing that too! I don't get it!" Due to the younger girl still consuming her medication as normal, she often had mood swings as a form of side effects but it seemed to be burning up today.

"Bom-ah. Calm down." said Chorong, grabbing hold of Bomi's hand.

"I can't! I'm so upset! Why can't I know?" said Bomi, desperate as tears formed in her eyes. "Did I have another girlfriend? Did I have with someone else? Did I kill someone? Why can't you just-" In that moment, Chorong suddenly pulled Bomi over, grabbing her cheeks and kissed her lips. All it took, was a kiss to calm the younger girl's heart.

As she slowly got her senses back, she was able to see clearly. She wasn't the only one who was crying. Chorong too, was in tears.

"U..Unnie...." said Bomi, flustered for a moment.

"I'm doing this to protect you. I can't let you know the truth because I know it will hurt you, so much."

"I don't care if I get hurt. I want to know what happened. I'm doing this....so that I can get better for you unnie....." said Bomi slowly confessing her thoughts. "I've been feeling so down lately, because I can't help but to shake off this dark truth that's being hidden from me. I don't feel like I'm getting better at all attending those therapy sessions, eating these pills if I don't know my actual past. I feel so suffocated its as if my condition is getting worser."

"I can't! You might die!"

"What are you saying unnie?!"

It was then, Chorong suddenly hugged her as she quietly sobbed. Bomi was completely flustered, not knowing what her words meant.

"Irene told me. She used to have a girlfriend who had a similar condition as yours, her name is Wendy. She insisted on getting her memories back and when she did, she fell into depression because she was so regretful of her past actions. She felt so sorry that she decided....to take her own life." confessed Chorong, telling her own side of story.

"Unnie..."

"I don't want you to die Bom-ah!"

It was then Bomi carefully lifted Chorong's head and kissed her lips once again, while using her thumb to wipe her tears away.

"I won't die. How can I die when I have Chorong unnie by my side? I can't go to heaven yet, who's going to take care of her? Who's going to give her these kisses and say those words I love you everyday?" smiled Bomi bitterly. She knew what Chorong meant. She was scared too but she had such a strong will to reveal her dark past, no matter how much it hurt. "Do you love me, unnie?" the girl asked in which Chorong nodded silently. "Then, let me know about my past. I don't care if I get hurt."

The older girl looked at Bomi's eyes. It was always her eyes that made her realise, how much love could do to you, no matter how painful the choice was. It was burning with so much will and determination. As much as she had wanted to protect Bomi, there was always a push and pull in relationship. There were times where things wouldn't go her way for the sake of her partner.

"Alright." said Chorong reluctantly. "Let's arrange an appointment with Doctor Ilhoon."

"Thank you unnie." said Bomi, proceeding to wrap her into a warm embrace, kissing her forehead. "I love you."

"You better promise me...to not die...."

"Mm...I won't. I won't be like Wendy. I won't die."

 

 

 


 

 

 

It seemed like a familiar scene again. Holding their hands together as they stood in front of the intimidating door that belonged to the CEO of Son Corporations, they weren't scared anymore. With a knock, the couple entered the office as Eunji immediately bowed 90-degrees to her father-in-law.

"It's rare of the both you to come visit me. How are your wedding preparations going?" asked the man calmly as he closed his laptop and turned his attention to the two. Eyeing onto Eunji holding his daughter's hands, he smiled. "Looks like you kept your promise."

"Yes well, I am a woman of my words sir. There's still plenty of time left till our wedding date so there's no need for us to rush." said Eunji, talking in a more, relaxed manner compared to last time.

"I see. Then, what brings you here? You don't need to worry about the Lee Corporations. The police and I have been working closely together and soon enough, their dirty business will be exposed."

That's when Eunji and Naeun glanced at each other for a moment.

"Father. Eunji unnie told me about what's on her mind lately ever since the incident happened. But I feel like you might be upset at her decision."

"Let's see about that. Please go ahead Eunji-ya." the man spoke calmly with raised eyebrows.

"Sir. I've realised how running a business isn't as easy. It's full of many twisting roads and challenges ahead and I realised that this isn't the path for me. I feel that the future ahead would be very difficult to see, if I follow down this path. I want to live happily with Naeun. I don't want to make the same mistakes. That's why..." Eunji gulped. "I don't want to work under Son Corporations anymore. I just want to live like a normal human being. I refuse to work in a world where luxury and money meet together."

That's when the man's eyes widened. Yet, he kept his composure while letting out a heavy sigh. Eunji gulped. His sigh itself, had a lot of meaning.

"Appa. You shouldn't pressure Eunji unnie into becoming your successor. She has her own life too. Just because she gets married to me doesn't mean she has to take over the company." said Naeun, trying to persuade her father.

"For all my life sir, I was never interested in business." confessed Eunji. "I simply took the course in college so that I could be a good example for you. But I was never happy. What I truly love is music, sir. I love to sing and play the piano."

There was silence following after. It was always the sudden silence in the air that made the couple more nervous.

"Eunji-ya."

"Y-Yes sir?"

"Let me ask you a question."

"A-Alright."

"Out of your whole life, have you ever done something that you wanted? Have you ever felt happy?"

"Marrying Naeun has always been my happiness sir."

"Excluding that." said the man with a chuckle.

"N-Nothing else sir. Naeun is my source of happiness." Eunji gulped to which Naeun giggled shyly. The younger girl was embarassed as to how Eunji was bravely professing her love, right in front of her father.

"You are a good person Eunji-ya." said the man after much thought. "You work very hard, listen well and a girl of many surprises. Thank you for explaining what's on your mind otherwise, I would never know how you felt. After all, I need to take good care of my daughter-in-law as well." smiled the man.

"Sir..." said Eunji as her eyes lit up. 

"Tell me. What do you plan on working as in the future? What are your dreams?"

"I want to be a music teacher."

"Very well." said the man. "I will make arrangements to fully sponsor that."

"Wait...what?" Eunji stared blankly, wondering if she heard that right.

This caused both the daughter and father to laugh.

"I'm saying that I will let you resign from the company Eunji-ya. I do not want to be harbringer of your sadness. As a father-in-law, it's also my job to let you do what you want." 

"R-Really sir?! B-But then, what about me succeeding your company? Will you able to find other candidates that are trustworthy to take over Son Corporations?"

"I still have time till my retirement. Don't worry." smiled the man in which Eunji smiled widely upon the news.

"Appa!" said Naeun as she immediately went to hug her father.

"Oh my, why are you hugging me for?" asked the man with a chuckle.

"Thank you appa for letting Eunji unnie free. Thank you for making her happy." she smiled.

"Eunji is now my daughter too. She's part of us now." chuckled the man as Eunji bowed so many times until her back hurt. Never before in her life, had she felt so grateful. To feel such a heavy weight, finally lifted off her chest, she could really look forward to a brand new future. Her own future.

"The power of love, is amazing sometimes."

 

 


 

 

With much speed, Namjoo recovered quickly. After running through a final round of CT scans, her wounds have healed and she was ready to be discharged. Having the bandages from her head removed, the girl felt much lighter and free. She was excited at the thought of returning home. Although Hayoung had insisted to pick her up from the hospital, the girl scolded her that she should be working instead. After all, it was nothing major and she could get home just fine with a cab.

"Are you sure? What if you forgot our house address?" asked Hayoung over the phone.

"Hey! I can at least remember that okay! Just keep working and I'll see you at home baby."

"Fine....." pouted Hayoung. "I hate work."

"Think of me while you work then. That should make you better." 

"Oh yeah like your butts and your s."

"Hey! That's a yellow card! You're not allowed to say that!" said Namjoo, still keeping her promise by controlling Hayoung's habits.

"Not fair."

"I'm hanging up~" The older girl said as she really did hung up. With a soft giggle, she wondered what punishment to give her wife for violating the rules. Sure, she did miss how Hayoung would randomly say dirty jokes all of a sudden and how Hayoung would suddenly grab her out of nowhere. But it was for the better. Hayoung changed herself because she didn't want that incident to happen again.

Before she headed out of the hospital to get a taxi, she stopped by the counter.

"Hey, can you pass this to the boss for me?" asked Namjoo as she took out an envelope.

"Sure thing. Have a good rest Doctor Kim!" said the receptionist.

"I will, thank you!" said Namjoo as she left. 

Breathing in the fresh air as she looked up at the blue, clear skies, she wondered if this was the right thing to do. 

"I'm sorry Hayoung-ah. I'm doing this because I don't want anyone else to get hurt anymore."

 

 


 

 

While waiting for her wife to return home from work, Namjoo decided to clean up the mess Hayoung left behind. Ever since she had been hospitalized, she knew the girl wouldn't find time to do chores. With unwashed dishes tossed in the sink, scattered rubbish all over the floor, unwashed clothes laying on the chairs, the girl sighed.

"She's still a baby huh? What am I, her mother?" she mumbled to herself.

The girl then proceeded to Hayoung's working desk where there were all sorts of documents piled over, an cup of unfinished coffee that seemed to be there for weeks and random scribbles on paper. Her wife had been working hard while taking time off to visit her. 

"She still draws cartoons when she's taking a break huh?" giggled Namjoo as she found a random scribble of a cartoon character, lying under the pile of paperwork. As she started cleaning up the mess, an envelope fell on the floor. 

"What's this?" The girl wondered as she picked it up.

As much as she didn't want to invade Hayoung's privacy, she believed that she had to know every single thing about her. No matter good or bad.

Taking out the piece of paper that was inside, Namjoo's eyes widened at what she saw. But it was at that very moment, she heard the door clicking. Hayoung was back. Within a flash, the girl quickly placed the paper back into the envelope and put it where it was, before heading to the entrance to greet her wife, as if nothing happened.

"Welcome back baby~" smiled Namjoo but instead Hayoung appeared with a sad pout, leaning herself against the door. "What's wrong baby?"

"I'm so ing tired." mumbled Hayoung. It was then, Namjoo propped her lips onto Hayoung.

"Better yet?"

Hayoung smiled but later frowned. "That isn't enough unnie." she sighed, suddenly pushing Namjoo against the wall and allowing her lips to slide in. It had been awhile since they've kissed so deeply, especially since the girl had been so busy and Namjoo was warded.

"Hayoung-ah." said Namjoo as she gasped for a moment, holding onto Hayoung's shirt. "You can't." she ordered. A promise was a promise and the girl had to do all she could to stop her wife from any sort of ual activity. All it took was one look.

"Fine." sighed Hayoung as she let go of herself, proceeding to enter the living room as she got ready to take a shower. Watching her wife, she wondered if this was the right moment to ask her. 

"Hayoung-ah." said Namjoo to which the girl turned her head. "What?" she asked.

"You love me right?"

"Of course baby."

"Then don't hide things from me."

"What do you mean?"

"Don't pretend that you know nothing Hayoung-ah." sighed Namjoo as she suddenly walked up to the desk and took the envelope. "Why didn't you tell me that you recieved a threat letter saying that if you don't quit your job, the tape of you and Joy would be leaked out?"

Immediately, Hayoung froze hearing her words.

 

 


 

 

Bomi was ready. With an appointment set, the day had arrived as Chorong came along with her to the therapy centre. The place had since become Bomi's second home as she always visited there every day after work. She was already used to the completely-white interior design of the building and the nurses were like her friends.

"Are you sure about this Bomi-ssi?" asked Ilhoon once again. He was worried. Since his previous experience with Wendy's case, he wasn't able to move on from her death and didn't want to make the same mistakes again.

"I have already made my decision. I don't care what happens from now on. I just want to recover my lost memories of my dark past."

Ilhoon looked at Chorong with worried eyes but the girl simply nodded.

"Very well." he sighed. "Please head over to the bed and relax comfortably as my nurse will assist you. Take slow deep breaths. I will be performing a type of hypnosis therapy in order to recover your memories."

Slowly drifting into sleep, Bomi slowly succumbed to darkness.

It felt so surreal in this dream. A dream where she walked along a path of her memories, like little video clips passing through her eyes one by one.

From afar, there was something fuzzy. Like a video clip that was loading, a piece of memory that was kept locked away for a long time.

 

I was so young back then. A young and innocent 12-year old who didn't know how harsh life was. But, I couldn't help it. I fell in love for the first time. I fell in love with my tutor, Soyou unnie. I was always doing poorly in school so my mom hired a part-timer to teach me. Soyou unnie was a high schooler, about 7 years older than me. She seemed so kind, friendly and mature.

I confessed first and the response I got instead "You're cute Bomi-ya. But you're too young to think about dating yet." But I refused to give up. For one whole year, I tried and proved myself that I was mature to date. And she accepted my love request. Even though we were girlfriends, it didn't felt right. As much as I tried to show my feelings, she just ignored me like a child.

That's when I discovered, the hurtful truth. Soyou unnie was actually a playgirl. When I paid a visit to her high school, I lost it. She was playing with everyone's hearts. From dating the boys in her class, girls from other classes, she didn't just cheat on everyone but she was a delinquent as well. She smoked on school grounds, she drank alcohol, she did drugs, she did everything possible that a nightmare was.

I felt so betrayed. So hurt. And then, it hurt even more when I peeked inside her classroom, only to see her making out with another girl, Hyorin. That's when I realised, I've made the wrong choices. I entered the wrong world. 

I wanted an explaination. I just didn't understand why. Why? I went after Hyorin, I pestered her, I shouted at her, I attacked her. 

That's when, the love of my life slapped me in the face.

I will never forget then. Her words that broke my heart into pieces.

"I was just playing with you anyway. Why would I date a small fry when you're just nothing but a toy?"

That's when I just broke apart. Like a machine that just stopped functioning. I didn't know what love was. Love seemed to be nothing but a nightmare.

The day after. It appeared on the newspaper. Two high school students were drunk driving and killed instantly in a car accident. It was Soyou and Hyorin. To make matters worse, police found packets of heroin in the trunk.

I shouldn't have fallen in love with such a woman.

I decided to forget everything. Erase everything completely.

Because I told myself,

To never fall in love again.

I will choose to kill myself than to fall in love again.

I hate love.

Love only creates hate and pain.

 

"Bom-ah?" 

A familiar voice broke the girl's slumber. It felt so warm and comforting unlike Soyou.

"Bom-ah? Are you alright?"

Slowly opening her eyes, she found herself back in reality. As if she had time-traveled back in time, to witness a horrible nightmare. She remembered everything. 

The memories that triggered her trauma.

The memories that made her sick.

"Unnie......" mumbled Bomi as she suddenly found herself in tears.

"I'm sorry."

 

--

 


 

A/N: What does Bomi's words mean? Hayoung, why are you hiding things from Namjoo? Even so, what was that envelope that Namjoo handed over? Is this really the happy ending for 2eun? We still have many questions unanswered~ do share your thoughts about this chapter and I will update soon~ (P.S There had been a lack of chapters recently lol don't worry, this is just a heads up that next chapter will be rated) P.S Thank you for 100 subscribers! I'll work hard ^^