Answers

Maturity

 

 

"You ing bastard! Get your ing hands off her!" shouted Eunji as she could do nothing but to aggressively shake and stomp her feet. Never before in her life had she felt so useless, so small in front of her enemies. Tied against the chair, there was absolutely nothing she could do to save her wife.

Watching Taemin's hands move gently from her shoulder towards her chest, it simply infuriated the girl even more. Naeun on the other hand, simply closed her eyes. She wanted to pretend that she couldn't feel anything or see anything. It was all a dream. A nightmare. Tears slowly formed into her eyes as she began to think of many things that could happen at this moment. The girl was fully aware of how powerful the Lee Corporations were, but she had no idea they would've abused their power to use it against her and Eunji.

"Do you know how humiliating it is, to have your future wife stolen from you? Do you know how it feels?" asked Taemin as he suddenly stopped and walked towards Eunji.

"You think you're so great just because you're a rich man's son, ing think you can do whatever you want, er." cussed Eunji, spitting every sort of verbal attacks she could. But instead, there was a hard punch across her face. Almost, numbing her cheeks.

"Eunji unnie!" shouted Naeun, who couldn't stand to watch her being beaten up, right in front of her eyes.

"Huh, is that all you can do?" said Eunji with a glare, spitting out the blood from . Immediately, there was another punch across her face. A harder blow.

"You should just shut your lips and watch the show." scowled Taemin as he turned around to face Naeun. "I'll give you two choices Miss Naeun. If you choose to marry me, I will spare her life. If you don't, well, I guess you can say goodbye to her right now."

"You might as well kill me instead." said Naeun as she looked at him. Her glare was different. Never before had Naeun been so angry and pissed. She had always maintained a very calm composure but today, wasn't the day.

"Naeun-ah! What the heck are you saying?!" shouted Eunji but Taemin's bodyguards immediately kicked her in the chest, to silence the girl.

"Oh my. You know I can't kill my own wife, Miss Naeun." said Taemin as he bent down, placing his fingers on her chin. "I can't kill such a beautiful lady like you."

"I hate you. Why would I marry a man like you?" said Naeun coldly. Immediately, Taemin's face grew dark.

"Well, how about now?" said Taemin as he suddenly took out a gun hidden inside his coat, raised it towards Eunji's direction. It was pointing directly towards Eunji's forehead. "I'll kill her if you don't marry me."

"You bastard...." cussed Naeun as there was fear in her eyes. She was shaking, trembling.

But she noticed Eunji mouthing something, almost like a secret message for her.

"It's okay Naeun-ah. Trust me. Do it."

Naeun was confused at her words but she nodded. She trusted her wife. Although she had no idea what plan she had in her mind, it was the only way.

"Kill her then. I will never marry you." said Naeun as she looked at the man, whose face darkened even more.

"Very well." said Taemin as he loaded the gun with a click.

Naeun could do nothing but to look at her wife who simply smiled. The last image that she could remember, Eunji's beautiful eyesmile.

"I love you."

And then, there was a loud bang.

 

 

 


 

 

 

At Seoul Hospital, a tall lady barged in, fists clenched together as if she was ready to beat up someone as she looked through the wards to find her wife. Soon, she arrived at the room where Namjoo was. She was in the intensive care unit. Unconcious, bandages wrapped around her head as her eyes remained close.

"You are Kim Namjoo's wife, yes?" asked the doctor in charge.

"Yes, that's right. What happened to her?"

"She was pushed down the stairs, causing a concussion to her head. She was bleeding quite heavily but as of right now, it has stopped and we have to wait for her recovery."

"Will she wake up?"

"Yes. However, we will not be able to tell what kind of effects she might suffer from. It could range from occasional headaches or the worst case possible, temporary amnesia. For now, time can only tell what happens from now on. I will take my leave first." said the doctor as he left.

"Unnie." said Hayoung as she looked at her wife. "I'll find and kill that who did this to you." she mumbled as she went out, knowing that there was nothing she could do if she just sat there, waiting for her to wake up. Storming along the corridor, she was searching for someone. The nurse. The nurse she accidentally had a one night stand with. The nurse that pushed her wife down the stairs. Park Sooyoung.

"Where the is that ?!"

She searched through everywhere in the hospital, like a hunting beast ready to kill. It was then, her eyes found its target. There she was. The nurse Joy, who was quietly doing paperwork at the counter. Immediately, Hayoung walked up to her, ready to punch her in the face.

"You ing-!" 

"Stop!!" shouted Sungjae as he was suddenly in front of Hayoung, acting as a shield for his wife.

"Move oppa! I'm ing killing her!"

"Hayoung-ah! You have to calm down!" shouted Sungjae as he used his arms to stop the girl from getting closer. But, Hayoung was far too powerful.

"Why the are you protecting this ? I don't care if she's your wife, she ing had with me you bastard!" yelled Hayoung, revealing everything at that very moment. In that moment, Sungjae froze.

"Wait....what?" The man was lost, flustered as he tried to process the words Hayoung just said.

"It's true oppa. I had with her." said Joy calmly, hiding behind his back.

"Joy..you..."

"I'm going to ing kill you." scowled Hayoung, noticing that Sungjae let down his guard. Immediately, she used her long arms to pin Joy against the wall, hands wrapped around her neck almost as if about to choke her.

"L-Let go of her Hayoung-ah!" shouted Sungjae, quickly getting his senses back. Even though he was completely confused at the whole situation, what was important right now was to stop Hayoung. Anger had completely blinded the girl and if she wasn't stopped, she could actually become a murderer.

The ruckus caused between the three, attracted a lot of attention. Yet, no one came in to stop them. 

"Stop it Hayoung-ah!" a familiar voice stepped in, immediately pulling the girl away. One look at her, was enough to calm her. It was Chorong.

"U-Unnie? W-What are you doing here?"

"Something happened to Bomi. But for now, you need to calm down. I don't know what happened between you and her but you have to calm down. Look around you. Everyone is watching you." said Chorong.

The older girl's words snapped Hayoung's senses back to reality. What has she done?

 

 

 


 

 

 

Chorong pulled Hayoung over to the corner of the corridor as they sat down together while Sungjae went with his wife to talk privately regarding the incident. Thanks to the older girl's presence, Hayoung was able to calm down a little as she slowly was able to think more logically.

"I know that you're angry as to what happened but you shouldn't take violence as the answer to solve everything." said Chorong, after hearing Hayoung's explaination of what happened. "You must not let anger consume you. It will only result in consequences that you will regret later on." she continued.

"I know unnie....but....she....that -"

"Use pretty words."

"That..thing....pushed Namjoo unnie down...I can't possibly-"

"Are you going to kill her? If you do, what will happen to you? You're going to be the one convicted of murder. Are you willing to spend your whole life behind bars by then?" asked Chorong in a calmly manner.

Hayoung had no words to answer. She was right. Yet, she was so frustrated and angry.

"Then do I just sit here and wait?! She pushed her down! I can't just stay here!"

"Hayoung-ah." said Chorong as she held the girl's shoulders and looked into her eyes. "Aren't you a lawyer? Why must you use violence when you can use your resources? Why take your enemies head on when you can smartly maneuver your way using what you have?" 

For awhile, Hayoung stared at her blankly as she began to think for moment. It made a lot of sense. Why was she acting like a kid who thought violence could solve everything? Why was she not being mature and thought it out carefully?

"Unnie" said Hayoung. "Thank you." she said as she suddenly got up from her seat and started walking to where Joy and Sungjae was. She found her answers and knew what to do.

 

"If it wasn't for Chorong unnie, who knows what might've happened to me. I might've really got myself into big trouble and I don't think Namjoo unnie will be happy to hear that either."

 

Taking out her phone, she began to dial someone.

 

"Yerin-ah? Yeah, it's me. Sorry, it's a little urgent but I'm looking to arrest someone. Mind lending some help? I'm in Seoul Hospital. Thanks." By the time she hung up, she opened the door to find Joy and Sungjae in a heated argument all alone in the stairwell. The girl was in tears while the boy was completely enraged.

"Well, sorry for interrupting." said Hayoung, having a completely 360-degree image from before. Rather than responding in anger, she was now calm and collected in front of the two of them.

"Look Hayoung-ah. I know you're angry and it's all my fault. I'll take the blame. Please get angry at me, not her." begged Sungjae.

Hayoung sighed as she glared at Joy. Taking out something from her pocket, she took a deep breath.

"Remember to not mess around with the wrong people." she said. "Miss Park Sooyoung, I'm putting you under arrest for assaulting my wife." she continued, showing her namecard that identified herself as a lawyer, or rather the attorney, Oh Hayoung.

 

 

 


 

 

 

"Are you sure about leaving her like that?" asked Irene as she came over to Chorong's side. Honestly, she had watching Chorong talking to Hayoung from afar because she didn't want to interrupt their deep conversation.

"Well, she's not a baby anymore. I can't be spoon-feeding her on what needs to be done." sighed Chorong as she smiled to the girl. "Thank you Irene-ah."

"Why are you thanking me?"

"I think I found my answers. I should probably stop running around the bush and be very straight with Bomi. After hearing your stories about your girlfriend, Wendy, I feel like I don't want to make any regrets in life. I hope that she is in a better place now" she said with a sorry smile.

"It's okay. It's already been years since she left and the hole in my heart is trying to heal itself slowly. I don't want you to make the same mistakes as I did, that's all." said Irene bitterly. 

It was then, the red light outside the operation room switched off as the doctor came out.

"How is Bomi doing, doctor?" asked Chorong in worry. She was ready to accept anything because she blamed herself for not stopping Bomi.

"She's safe for now. Due to the a drug overdose, she'll have to remain hospitalized for awhile. Don't worry." 

"Thank you doctor for the hardwork!" the girl bowed as she watched the doctor and the nurses leave.

"Thank god..." Chorong mumbled as she suddenly leaned her face against the wall, as if wanting to hide herself.

"C-Chorong-ah? Are you okay?" Irene asked in worry as she went to her, taking a peek at her face. Her friend smiled and pulled her into a warm embrace. "Don't cry Chorong-ah. I think you've shed enough tears today." 

"Thank god...she's okay...." sobbed Chorong quietly.

Chorong was really thankful to Irene in that moment. She wasn't someone who would cry in front of others but here, she had a friend who lent her shoulders and comforted her in her darkest times. With something heavy lifted from her heart, she could finally relax knowing that Bomi was safe and out of danger.

Thanks to Irene, she was able to find herself.

To find her answers.

She knew what to do next,

The moment Bomi woke up.

 

 


 

 

Naeun was scared. She was scared that by the moment she opened her eyes, Eunji was gone. Eunji could've been shot straight into her head and died right there. She didn't want to make herself realise into reality. But instead, she heard footsteps running across as the shouts of the tall, large men grunting. She could feel her hands suddenly becoming loose as if someone was freeing her.

"Naeun-ah. It's okay. Open your eyes." That voice was familiar. It was warm and comforting.

Slowly opening her eyes, Naeun saw a girl right in front of her. With the same, beautiful eyesmile of hers, she was there, safe and sound. It was Eunji.

"U-Unnie?"

"Sorry. I didn't tell you earlier about this but you're safe now. That's all that matters." said Eunji as she scanned her eyes from head to bottom, making sure that Naeun wasn't hurt anywhere. As the girl looked around, the whole place was surrounded by police officers who were all incapacitating and arresting Taemin's bodyguards. She proceeded to move her eyes to her right, where Taemin was but the man was on the floor. Before she could even fully see what happened to him, Eunji quickly covered her eyes.

"Don't look at that bastard. He's dead now and will forever be dead." the older girl said as she made Naeun to face her and uncovered her eyes. "Look at me instead." she smiled.

"I..I don't know what's happening...."

"It's okay. I'll tell you everything later. First, let's get out of here." said Eunji as she held her hands tightly.

"But your wounds..." said Naeun in worry, noticing the bruise on her wife's cheek and stains of blood under her lips.

"I'd rather get hurt instead of you being in my place. Let's go." said Eunji as she waved at a policeman walking towards them, who seemed to be the chief of the whole operation. He felt very familiar at one glance.

"Seungyoon-ah! Nice job! Sorry for all the trouble!" smiled Eunji widely.

"Gosh Eunji-ya, you're in a mess. Get to the ambulance quickly. I'll handle the rest." frowned the man as he bowed, greeting Naeun.

"You are.....Kang Seungyoon?"

"Yes. Sorry for not introducing myself earlier. This operation has already been planned quite a few weeks ago but you were not informed. I apologize."

Naeun stared at the man confused.

"I'm actually an undercover cop who has been served to protect you under the orders of your father long, long time ago. Glad to know that you still remembered me." laughed Seungyoon.

"So you mean...you transferred from Busan to my high school because of this?"

"Not exactly. At first, I was simply a bodyguard hired to protect you behind the shadows. But recently, the Lee Corporations have been doing some dirty business lately and have been placing targets on you. In fact, the divorce between the two of you were somehow linked to their plans. But I'll let Eunji explain the whole story to you later, I need to catch the bad guys you see. Hope we will meet again soon." bowed Seungyoon as he headed back inside the warehouse to collect the dead body of Taemin as well as his still-alive bodyguards for questioning.

Eunji broke into a laughter as she pinched Naeun's cheeks. Never before had she seen her wife this confused. It was adorable.

"Come on. Let's go to the hospital." she smiled, not letting go of her hands as the two hopped onto the ambulance that was ready outside.

 

 


 

 

Arriving at Seoul Hospital, Eunji headed into the emergency ward to get her wounds treated. There were simply light injuries thus, it wasn't anything much to worry about. Naeun who followed her inside, sat down as she carefully explained to Eunji's explaination over what happened.

"I'm sorry Naeun-ah that I had to keep such a big secret from you. I had no other choice. It was to protect you." said Eunji as she was fiddling with the tiny bandage over her thumb.

"It's okay. I understand. Tell me what happened."

"About two weeks ago, your father called me to the office. I thought he was gonna scold me or nag me about our recent divorce but apparently it wasn't any of that. He trusts me and I trust him. That's when, he revealed me everything about what Lee Corporations does. They may be a big industry but an industry that works dirty money. Fabricated into an oil-mining business, they were actually producing drugs underground. Son Corporations were well aware of this. They had approached your father's company before to purchase a big land. Obviously, that big land was meant to build a drug factory and by agreeing to their comply, Son Corporations would also have to be involved in this type of dirty business. He wanted to stop them but instead, they threatened him with harming you. That's why he was forced to choose between work or family. He chose family. He sacrificed the company's clean identity to protect you."

"That's why he hired a bodyguard to look after me...Kang Seungyoon...."

"That's right. But remember, those incidents happened many years ago when the two of us were just high schoolers. We knew nothing about the world back then."

"Mm..." nodded Naeun as suddenly, tears welled in her eyes. She didn't realise the things her father had done. Sometimes, love wasn't so obvious and was done in such a subtle manner, that you don't even realise it.

"When the son of Lee Corporations, Taemin heard about our divorce, he took the chance. He actually fell in love with you at first sight after sneaking around the Son Corporations building. He kept pestering your father with various deals and agreements. When your father rejected it, that's when he went crazy. That's when, your father suddenly had a private meeting with me as we started planning with Seungyoon." smiled Eunji as she wiped her wife's tears away. "I'm sorry for not telling you this earlier. It was your father's orders. He told me not to tell you, because he knew his daughter far too well."

"So that's why he kept taking me along his business trips everywhere. Because he knew that, if I was all alone in Seoul, Taemin would set his targets on me. That's why...." said Naeun realising the truth behind her father's actions. 

"Mm...fathers are really the best aren't they?" nodded Eunji as she pulled her wife into an embrace, allowing her to cry on her shoulder.

"Like father, like daughter. The way you express your love to her sir, is exactly the same way Naeun does to me. It's not very straight-forward but it holds so much meaning the moment you realise it. I promise you, to make her the happiest girl in the world."

"Oh and don't you think my acting has improved? I made quite a lot of expressions back then didn't I?" asked Eunji as she broke into a laugh, wanting to cheer up the mood.

"Maybe you should change your job to be an actress instead." smiled Naeun as she wiped her tears away.

It was over. The nightmare was gone and Eunji was safe in her arms.

Finally knowing the answers to everything, she was able to breathe easily as she learned more about her father.

Even though her father always seemed so distant around her, she was still his precious and only daughter.


 

--

 

 


 

A/N: Indeed, the fatherly love is certainly something you'll never find anywhere else in the world. Will Namjoo wake up fine? What are the answers Chorong has realised to herself in order to face Bomi? Is this finally the end of all nightmares with Lee Corporations? Still much a lot of worry, life as a adult certainly isn't easy! Do share your thoughts on this chapter and I will update soon!