Decisions

Maturity

 

 

As soon as Eunji recieved the permission to leave by the nurse, the couple headed out of the emergency ward, ready to head home. Crossing pass the corridors, they saw someone familiar sitting down.

"Hayoung? What are you doing here?" asked Naeun.

"Did something happen to you?" asked Eunji as she scanned the younger girl, hoping that she didn't sustain any injuries.

"I'm not the one that's hurt. Don't worry." smiled Hayoung bitterly. Immediately at one glance, they knew something was wrong. Eunji and Naeun looked at each other with worry.

"What happened?" asked Eunji.

"Some ing pushed Namjoo down the stairs. She's in the intensive care unit now, suffering from a concussion to her head. I'm just here, waiting and praying that's all. Don't worry about me."

"Who the would push Namjoo down the stairs? Is she crazy?!" said Eunji, almost breaking out in anger.

"It's okay unnie. I've already taken care of her."

"Hayoung-ah, you better not tell me that you killed her." said Naeun with a serious expression.

"Come on unnie, I'm not that stupid to do that." scoffed Hayoung with a smile. But Naeun stared at her, still quite questionable at her actions. After all, Naeun knew Hayoung best and she knew that once the girl was angry, she would resort to violence thanks to the video games she had been playing as a child.

"Hey, you better tell the truth Hayoung-ah." said Eunji with a gulp. When she thought about it carefully, it was actually possible for Hayoung to kill someone.

"Unnies~ you two seriously~" whined Hayoung. "I arrested her. My colleague, Yerin is taking care of the case for me."

Immediately, the couple sighed in relief, causing Hayoung to break into a small laughter.

"I'm not a kid anymore okay? I've grown up and matured. I think more rationally now." said Hayoung.

"Yeah, right sure, when I was the one who talked sense to you Hayoung-ah" said a voice from behind.

The couple turned around to see a familiar girl.

"Chorong unnie? What are you doing here?!" said Eunji, even more flustered.

"I should be the one to ask you that." said Chorong, noticing the plasters and bandages on Eunji.

"Well I asked first."

"Bomi collapsed this morning."

"What?!"

"Don't worry, she's fine now. At least. Drug overdose." she sighed. 

"Bomi did something stupid again didn't she?" asked Eunji, knowing her same-aged friend all too well. Chorong simply nodded as all four of them sat down, staring blankly at the entrance of the intensive care unit. It was already past visiting hours so Hayoung had no choice but to sit outside, Chorong too refused to leave the hospital until Bomi woke up and the couple who had earlier decided to head home, wanted to stay with their friends to give moral support.

They shared their stories about what happened. How Eunji was suddenly kidnapped and Naeun was pulled into the Lee Corporation's mess before the police got involved, how Hayoung suddenly recieved a call at her office that her wife was pushed down and how Chorong watched Bomi faint in front of her own eyes, it was a long day for the girls.

But yet for some reason, fate brought them together in such a coincidence. Meeting in the same hospital due to similar cases, perhaps their strings of friendship were still so strongly connected, it was impossible to cut off.

"Unnie, do you sometimes wish of going back to those peaceful, happy high school days we used to had?" asked Eunji.

"We shouldn't dwell in the past and live on for the future. It's the present that matters now." said Chorong.

"Right, I shouldn't have asked you...." mumbled Eunji, realising that she might get another earful of philosophical talk from the 27-year old.

"But high school days were fun. I don't mind going back. It's better than now, at least." said Hayoung.

"I wish we didn't grow up so fast.." said Naeun.

Soon, there was silence as the four began to reminisce over those periods of happiness. The days of their youth. Sure, it was hard to grow up and face the real, adult life. But it was all part about maturing as an individual. They couldn't run away, they had to face it.

The difficulties of maturity that seemed so easy to hurdle through the path, they call as life.

 

 

 


 

 

Within a blink of an eye, another new day had arrived and things certainly got busy. Eunji and Naeun returned home briefly but only had a few hours of sleep before heading out again to the police station for testimonial evidence against the incidents that occured yesterday. Chorong and Hayoung on the other hand, spent the whole night at the hospital, hoping for their wives to wake up.

Bomi woke up first and upon seeing Chorong, she couldn't help but to smile.

"I ed up didn't I?" Bomi asked as she reached out her hand. Immediately, Chorong held it warmly as she looked at her with a frown.

"I told you not to do it, stupid."

"I'm sorry. I am stupid."

"Don't say that. I'm just glad that you're alive and well, that's all that matters now." she sighed while tracing her fingers down Bomi's disheveled hair.

"Are you going to kill me?" asked Bomi as she couldn't really move. Her body was glued to the bed. She knew it was her mistake. She was so foolish to let herself consume so many pills in one-go. She regretted her choices immediately upon looking at her wife. Chorong's eyes were swollen, evident that she had been crying the whole night.

"Why did I even ing did that for?"

"I really might Bom-ah. I was so angry with you, yet I was so worried. I don't-let's talk about this when you're well. I want you to get well first. Let's focus on one thing at a time." said Chorong.

"Alright." said Bomi. "Actually, I also wanted have things that I want to say. But, let's wait until I'm better."

"Mm." nodded the older girl.

 

 


 

 

Namjoo was transferred out from the intensive care unit to a normal ward after her health has stabilized. Doctors ran through CT scans and to Hayoung's relief, she wouldn't have any major side-effects like temporary memory loss. The most she could have, was occasional headaches from time to time. However, the girl would have to stay in hospital for a longer period, it could take weeks or months as it is an internal injury.

The first thing she felt, was a sharp pain across her head before her senses returned, feeling the soft blanket over her body, the cooling air surrouding the room and the sharp smell of disinfectant. It was so familiar, almost like home. That's when she realised, she was in the hospital. The place where she spent day and night working and now, it became the place she would stay in until she was fully recovered.

"Hayoung-ah, where's Joy?" That was the first thing that popped into her mind, the moment the girl woke up. She was worried, knowing well that her wife had troubles controlling her anger and prayed she didn't hurt the nurse.

"Wow, you finally wake up after like two days and that's the first thing you say to me?" pouted Hayoung as she sat down.

"No, I didn't mean that-" All of a sudden, Hayoung collapsed her head onto Namjoo's chest, looking straight at her with puppy-like eyes. "Stop scaring me like that dammit....." the younger girl mumbled, stretching her long arms over as she gently embraced her waist before allowing fatigue to take over, slowly drifting into dreamland.

"Hayoung-ah?" asked Namjoo as she stared at her and smiled. "You must've stayed up the whole night huh? Sleep well baby. I'm sorry for making you worry." the girl mumbled as she gently caressed Hayoung's hair.

Although the girl had so many questions, she decided that it was better to just let herself get better first. Everything came flashing back into her memories, the sudden rush of fear whenever she remembered the look of Joy's face, the powerful force of her push, the crashing pain when her head hit the hard floor and the voice of Sungjae bursting in to save her. It seemed so surreal, almost like a nightmare film that repeated itself over and over again.

"I'm sorry Hayoung-ah. I should've kept quiet. I shouldn't have told Joy about it otherwise none of this would've happened to me. You wouldn't have ended up like this and we could've just stayed happy like that. I'm sorry. It's all my fault."

 

 


 

 

Heading back and forth to the police station whilst meeting Naeun's father in between, things have been busy for the couple. But the man had insisted to let the company handle the whole issue because he wanted to allow Eunji and Naeun to have their own time together. After all, they had to prepare for their second wedding and Naeun's father absolutely didn't want to intervene in between.

Alone in the car together, the couple drove back home. Eunji was at the wheel and occasionally glanced at her wife, wondering if the incidents had somehow traumatized her a little.

"It's okay unnie. I'm doing fine." said Naeun with a smile.

"Oh, I got caught huh?"

"You're the one that's making it too obvious." giggled Naeun.

"But how can I not look at you? You're so beautiful."

"You always say that."

"Because I mean it." said Eunji as she leaned over and planted a quick peck on Naeun's cheek before placing back her attention on the road.

"Naeun-ah, your father once asked me this question. If I had a choice, would I choose the company or you?"

"You chose me right?" asked Naeun with much confidence. 

"Of course baby." Eunji smiled. "But after everything that has happened, something has been on my mind for awhile now."

"What is it unnie?"

"It feels quite burdensome to work in Son Corporations. I realised how dangerous it is, to be working under a business tycoon because there's so much dirty work behind the scenes that you have to be really careful otherwise it's very dangerous. For all my life, I simply worked hard all for the sake of impressing your father but then, was I happy? Was I happy to work in a job that I didn't like? I wondered if this growing hatred I had changed into anger which I in turn, hurt you unintentionally that lead to our divorce. I learnt from my mistakes. Of course, I'm happy to be with you. I'm happy to be married and be forever with you Naeun-ah. But, I'm lost about my future. My work. My career." confessed Eunji.

Ever since that incident, she made a decision to be very truthful and honest to her wife. She didn't want to hide anything in fear of getting misunderstood. She learnt that keeping a healthy relationship required the trust of her partner and no secrets hidden among the two.

"I want you to be happy. Not for me. But for your own happiness, unnie." said Naeun. "Remember how I told you to study what you wanted in college? I know that you loved music, it was your passion. But instead, you picked a business course because of my father. I was honestly a little upset because I don't want you to sacrifice everything for my sake." she continued. "You chose a route for the sake of love."

"Isn't it too late for me? What is your dad going to say about this? Wouldn't he be very disappointed? He seemed so happy and glad to have me back in his company." It was then Naeun warmly grabbed Eunji's hands. 

"Nothing is ever too late. You have me, the daughter of Son Corporations. No matter what decision you pick, I will be there by your side unnie." said Naeun with a confident smile. She too, wanted to change herself for the better. She didn't want to be the one protected all the time. She wanted to be strong for herself too and help Eunji as much as she could.

It was then, Eunji suddenly parked the car at the side with the signal on. Removing her seatbelt, she leaned her body towards Naeun and immediately planting a kiss on her lips without warning. But Naeun didn't resist, instead she grabbed Eunji's waist and pulled her closer across, allowing their kiss to deepened further as their tongues exchanged.

"I love you Nangni."

"I love you too unnie."

"Thank you." said Eunji before proceeding for another round of kisses.

 

 


 

 

"Thank you Yerin-ah." said Hayoung as she greeted her colleague outside the hospital. She came over to hand over a piece of document.

"Don't worry about it. You've always been working so hard so there's no need for that. This is now, up to your decision now. Testimonials have been done and she has already admitted to her fault. After running through the police department and the psychiatrist, Park Sooyoung's case has been concluded as an assualt due to a form of mental illness. However, she can still be convicted and be sentenced to jail, that is if you still want revenge for what she has done. If not, you can drop the charges, her family will pay a fine of 1 billion won as compensation. You can either be a merciless devil or a kind angel at this rate." laughed Yerin. "Tell me your answer in the next few days. No need to rush about the decision. See ya." she continued before returning back to her car and driving off in the distance.

Hayoung looked at the document in her hand. Never before did she have the life of someone at the stake of her own hands. It somehow felt good in a way but also, not good either. Heading back into the hospital, she returned to Namjoo's ward and sat back in the same position.

"What's that?" asked Namjoo, eyeing on the document in Hayoung's hands.

"Unnie." said Hayoung as she looked into her eyes. "As much as I want to get revenge, I probably shouldn't right?" she asked with lost eyes. Whenever she was stuck in a position, she always turned to her reliable unnie. The reliable unnie, who is now her wife.

"What would you feel if you were in Sooyoung's position? What would Sungjae feel in this state? Right now, I feel sorry for him. He's gone through so much betrayal and scars yet, he's such a kind man who has forgiven his wife. They argued a lot, fought a lot but Sungjae still can't let go of her. It somehow reminds me of someone." smiled Namjoo as she reached out her hands to cup Hayoung's cheeks. "Do what you think is right, Hayoung-ah. I believe in you. You are my one and only lawyer that I am proud of." the girl said before softly pecking her lips.

"Mm. I think I made my decision. Let me head outside for awhile and call my colleague." smiled Hayoung to which Namjoo nodded.

As she closed the door behind her, there was a man standing right in front of her. He looked exhausted, almost as if his soul was out of him. Heavy eyebags, disheveled hair and a very dark face, this was not the bright Sungjae that he knew.

"Hayoung-ah." said Sungjae as he suddenly fell to his knees.

"O-Oppa!" The younger girl was flustered.

"Please! Spare my wife! I beg of you! She's done nothing wrong! If you're still angry at her, please direct all of that to me! Punch me, kick me, do whatever you want! Just please, don't send her to jail." sobbed the man as he was on his knees, head on the floor.

"Get up oppa! Stop it!" said Hayoung, immediately pulling Sungjae up. But the man refused.

"I apologize on her behalf! If you're going to send her to jail, send me instead! I pushed Namjoo! Not her!"

"Stop it!" shouted Hayoung. 

Sungjae froze as he looked up. His face was in a mess as tears rolled down his cheeks.

"I'm dropping the charges. Joy isn't going to jail so please, get up and stop embarassing me." said Hayoung. She was so shocked. Never before had she seen Sungjae like this. Perhaps, that was just how powerful love can be. Love can truly do wonders.

"Hayoung-ah...." said Sungjae as more tears formed into his eyes. "Thank you....." he sobbed quietly. "Thank you so much...."

 

 

 


 

 

 

Bomi was discharged much earlier than Namjoo. Resting at home just as the doctors advised her, she was bored because Chorong had to be at the restaurant. But these days, were productive because she reflected a lot about her actions. The girl wasn't usually the type who thought a lot, but today, many things were on her mind and it bothered her. She wanted to explode everything that was kept in her heart. She wanted to say so many things to her wife yet, she was waiting for the perfect moment.

It all started, when she went for her therapy sessions with Doctor Ilhoon.

 

"It's rare of you to call me Bomi-ssi. Perhaps, you're doing this because you don't want your wife to know since she's always there during your sessions?" asked Ilhoon, getting a gist behind Bomi's motive. He was experienced and knew the different behavioural patterns of many patients. Bomi, was no surprise.

"Man, how did you know?"

"Because I'm a doctor. What is it Bomi-ssi?"

"Tell me. I'm sick right? I'm a crazy person right?"

"Bomi-ssi..."

"Doctor, it's been bothering me lately. As much as I want to get better for my wife, I don't want to burden her. Whenever I think about it longer, it makes me feel worse in the inside. I don't think I deserve to be loved. All I've done is to hurt the person that I love without even realising, because I'm sick."

"I never call my patients sick. They simply suffer from traumas that cause them to behave that way."

"Then, why can't I remember it?! Are you hiding something from me that I don't know? I still don't know who is Soyou! I don't even know why I got sick in the first place!"

"The reason why I did this is because you will only hurt yourself more. Remembering your past will simply trigger your trauma and will worsen your mental state. It will be an even difficult hurdle to pass through. Is that what you want?"

"......."

"Please think rationally Bomi-ssi. It's possible to retrieve your memories but I am simply holding back because I am aware of the consequences that can happen. You're not the only one. I used to have a patient like you too. She insisted on recovering her memories. But in the end, she fell into the depths of depression. I tried everything I could to help her but it was too late. She...took her own life in the end."

"......."

"W-What was her name?"

"Son Seungwan. But I still remember how she preferred to be called by her other name, Wendy."

"........"

"Please discuss this matter with your wife before you make a decision. I do not want to be responsible for another loss because I cherish each and every patient in my book."

 

Her conversation with Doctor Ilhoon has been on her mind ever since. She was stupid and thought her memories could come back if she overdosed herself. Obviously, that didn't work out. (of course pabomi) She was left with no other choice. She wanted to tell Chorong. Yet, she was scared. Scared of how her wife might react, scared that Chorong thinks that she's reallyy crazy and she really might leave her.

"Argh! Stop thinking like that! It's only like that because of that stupid pathological jealousy whatever sickness I have, that's why I feel so damn ing scared! !" shouted Bomi in frustration as she sat up from the couch, almost wanting to hit her head against the wall.

It was then, there was a click on the door. Chorong was back.

Bomi gulped as she turned around.

"Bom-ah? What are you doing just standing in the middle of nowhere?" asked the older girl with her eyebrows raised.

"Um, I was just going to do some jumping jacks..." 

"All of a sudden?"

"Uh....never mind, that was a lie."

"Bom-ah." frowned Chorong.

"Unnie...." said Bomi as she nervously scratched her neck. 

"Hm?"

"Let's talk."

 

--

 


 

A/N: The patient whom Doctor Ilhoon had lost once, Wendy. Doesn't that name sound familiar? Looks like the strings are slowly connecting together~ Hayoung's an angel, choosing to drop charges against Joy but it seems Namjoo is secretly taking the blame all by herself? Aw no... Plus, Eunji's decision! After working so hard to recieve permission to marry Naeun from her father-in-law, she's really going to turn the tables and lose his trust again by betraying the company? Do share your thoughts on this chapter and I will update soon~!