Conflict

Maturity

 

 

Back to the present time.

 

 

The former six high school girls continued chatting away through the night, reminiscing about their high school days together where moments seemed so peaceful and full of happiness. Indeed, becoming an adult isn't easy but they have learned to cope and accept the way life was. They've challenged high school, college and now, the hardships of adulthood. What else was there that could challenge them ahead?

Surprisingly, their meetup ended up safe, without anyone getting drunk. With the heavy drinkers, Eunji, Hayoung and Bomi avoiding the alcohol, they were at least able to have a normal goodbye as they agreed to meet up again next month, hopefully to tell more stories about their life. 

With the couple cleaning up their restaurant and closing up, the two looked up at the clear, night sky looking below them.

"Wow, the sky is pretty beautiful tonight." said Chorong.

"Because today is a good day, that's why." smiled Bomi as she looked at her wife. Whenever she thought about it, she never had any regrets about choosing her at that one moment. All it took was one second to make such a hasty decision for the younger girl back then, to make the scary student council president hers. It all seemed so impossible but in the end, she won her heart and now, the girl in front of her, is her wife.

"Come on, let's close up the shop and head home." 

"Unnie."

"What?"

"I love you." 

"What's with you all of a sudden?" asked Chorong with a blush.

"Nothing. I just thankful that you chose me over everyone else in the world." said Bomi with a grin.

"Bom-ah, even in the next life, I would still choose to marry you." smiled Chorong as she gently kissed her cheek.

"Why? Because I'm fun to be around?"

"No. I bet even in the next life, you'll still come and pester me. I'll have no choice but to fall in love with you again." said Chorong. "Because you're such a stubborn girl." she laughed.

"Of course! I'm not called Yoon Bomi for nothing!" said Bomi with a wide smile, arms around her wife's shoulder as they went back inside the restaurant.

 

 

 


 

 

 

It was time to return back to reality. Eunji had been paying visits to the Son Corporation building, holding private meetings with his former and now soon-to-be father-in-law. The man was getting old and had plans to retire soon. With the return of his faithful and hardworking daughter-in-law, the man had thoughts of passing the company to her. He had a lot of trust in the girl, even though some of it was lost since the divorce. 

"Eunji-ya, you have to be careful."

"About what sir?"

"The Son Corporations have a lot of competitors who are out on watch to grab anything. You have to be alert at all times. Business isn't just a child game."

"I understand sir. There are always all sorts of enemies."

"But I hope that rather on focusing on your work, I hope you would learn from your mistakes and find time to love my daughter." said the man as he looked at the girl.

"O-Of course sir."

"If you had a choice, would you choose the company or my daughter?" The man asked with a straight face.

"Son Naeun." said Eunji without hesitation. A smile lit on the man's face.

"Well done. I'm looking forward to working with you again, Eunji-ya." said the man as he reached out his hand.

"You too, sir." said Eunji, shaking hands with his soon-to-be-again, father in law.

 

The girl let out a relieved sigh after leaving the office. She never thought she would be this nervous, in front of anyone else. It sure was difficult trying to keep a good impression in front of the man since she has already broken his promise once. Things were going to get busy again and the girl had to be prepared for what was coming. Walking past the lobby, she noticed a black car parked in front of the building as there were a group of man, dressed in black suits. For some reason, Eunji had a bad feeling about this.

"Hey, are they allowed to park their car like that?" asked the girl to the receptionist.

"That car....belongs to the Lee Corporations..." 

"Lee Corporations?!" said Eunji in surprise. "The are they doing here? Don't tell me that Taemin bastard- that er."

Suddenly, a man came out of the car, as if he was waiting for someone. And it was exactly the person Eunji was thinking of. Lee Taemin. The man continued walking towards Eunji who stood there, calm and collected with a straight face, arms crossed.

"Huh, it's funny how the Son Corporations chose such a lowly commoner like you to run the business. You don't even have qualifications nor the royal bloodline to inherit the company." said Taemin with a smirk.

"Well, that's none of your business. If you're here to annoy me, you're wasting your time. I'll be going off now." said Eunji but Taemin's bodyguards blocked her path. Eunji glared at the man.

"Acting all high and mighty now because you're marrying Naeun huh? Didn't I say that I'm going to teach you a lesson not to mess with the Lee Corporations?"

"All you're doing is pestering me like a stupid bug. off."

In that very moment, there was a sharp, stinging slap across Eunji's cheek. It burned, stung like a bee's bite.

"You ing ." growled the man. "Get her." said the man as the bodyguards started moving.

"What the ?! Get off me!" shouted Eunji as she struggled to move, but the giant men were far too powerful.

"Take this to the car." said Taemin with a smirk.

 

 

 


 

 

 

Although Namjoo was given three whole months to rest, she couldn't wait. She felt very restless if she wasn't doing anything and the thought of the number of patients who needed help, disturbed her. Hayoung didn't stop her wife as Namjoo begged her superiors to let her work again. Of course, the hospital happily welcomed the professional doctor back as honestly, they were quite understaffed. Doctor Kim Namjoo was now, back to her busy, nightless hours of working at the hospital. Sometimes, she wondered if she was a workaholic but she found happiness by helping and saving the lives of others.

"Welcome back Dr.Kim!" said Sungjae with a wide smile, welcoming the doctor with open arms.

"Enough with that whole mushy-i-miss-you-so-much thing, what kind of patients do we have today?" asked Namjoo, immediately cutting off the short reunion.

"Right. Last night, we had two victims from a car accident. Head seizures, fractured ribs, they're in pretty bad shape. We've also got a patient who is having difficulty breathing, complains of headaches as well."

"Alright, let's get down to work." sighed Namjoo as she followed Sungjae to the wards. The nurse, Joy passed by her and she couldn't help but to feel uncomfortable whenever she saw her face. She still remembered Hayoung's accident and ever since, she garnered this hatred towards her even though she had to be nice, because Joy was Sungjae's wife.

Time passed by quickly as usual, checking up on the patients, living hours in the operation room and being in charge of emergency accidents. The girl was finally able to have a short break, having a quick snack bought from the vending machine. But again, she saw Joy. It was really disturbing her a lot. Namjoo felt the need to hear her side of story. It wasn't because she didn't trust her wife, but it was because she wanted to know why Joy did that. It felt suspicious as if Joy had a motive to make her jealous.

"Hey, Joy." said Namjoo as she walked over, glancing around to check if there was anyone else around.

"Yes, Doctor Kim?"

"Come with me for a moment. I need to talk to you."

The two girls went into a stairwell, often used for emergencies when the lift wasn't working. It was a private, hollow area and it was perfect place to hold a serious conversation without disturbing the patients.

"What's so important that you need to talk with me privately Doctor Kim?" asked Joy with an unchanged expression.

"You don't have to lie or hide anything from me. I know what happened." sighed Namjoo as she crossed her arms.

"I...don't know what you're talking about."

Namjoo stared at her with a straight face. She could feel a little of her anger boiling inside. 

"I know you and my wife had a one night stand."

At that point, Namjoo saw a change in Joy's eyes.

"Oh? That? Why? Did you two broke up already?"

Her words, simply added fuel to the fire.

"You did that on purpose?"

"Of course. It's to make you jealous, duh."

"I didn't know you were such a , Joy."

"Well, your wife paid me $1000 to keep me quiet. I guess all that effort's gone to waste."

"What?!" Namjoo was completely flustered. Hayoung didn't tell her that she bribed Joy to not tell the truth. "What the do you want?"

"I want to see you suffer." smirked Joy.

"What?!"

"Please, aren't you the one who's the here? Always acting so close and chummy with my husband, as if you don't spend one night stands with him."

"The ? I don't even have with that guy! Look, if you're jealous that I'm being close with Sungjae, I'll keep a distance from him."

"You stole my husband's dreams. He was the one who should've been a doctor but instead, he was ranked down to become an assistant to you. He became your ing slave."

"Look. I never stole Sungjae's dreams to be a doctor. He and I went to the same university, studied the same course. It's just that bad luck seemed to have befall on him. The superiors picked me, not him."

"And that's why I should be getting rid of you." said Joy as she suddenly held on Namjoo's arms.

"W-What are you doing?!" said Namjoo as she looked at her.

"I'm getting rid of the trash." said Joy as she suddenly pulled Namjoo, slamming her against the wall.

"You ing !" shouted Namjoo as she tried her best to fight back. Although she wasn't physically strong or had any knowledge in martial arts, she did all she could. This was getting dangerous. Taking one quick glance into Joy's eyes, she wasn't behaving normally. It was if, they were eyes of murderer.

The girl struggled, but Joy overpowered her. All of sudden, Joy used her legs and kicked her off the stairs. That was the last, she could remember before hitting her head hard on the floor and succumbing to darkness.

 

 

 


 

 

 

Everything seemed to be going well for Bomi. She had been regularly attending the therapy sessions with Doctor Ilhoon, alongside Chorong who insisted to be there for her everytime. There were signs of improvement while also having to take medications from time to time, Bomi was positive that she was getting better. It was shown very obviously when she was working. The girl didn't have sudden temper changes whenever she met eyes with Irene or spotted her chatting away with Chorong. She felt calm inside.

"H-hey Irene, can I talk to you for a moment?" asked Bomi shyly, glancing over to check if Chorong was still busy in the kitchen.

"Of course, what's the problem Bomi-ssi?" asked Irene with a smile.

"T-The thing is....um....I.....actually....really...." mumbled Bomi, struggling to find the proper words.

Irene looked at her confused, tilting her head.

"I-I'm sorry!" said Bomi all of the sudden, bowing 90 degrees.

"Oh my, don't do that Bomi-ssi. A boss shouldn't be bowing to an employee!" said Irene, immediately holding Bomi's hands and having her stand straight.

"I shouldn't have treated you like that. I'm sorry. It's because of my own problem and I'm at fault. I won't do that again." 

"It's okay. I understand. Chorong-ssi already told me everything." Irene smiled.

"Eh?!" said Bomi in surprise. She then turned her direction to the kitchen. "UNNIE DID YOU JUST TELL IRENE ABOUT MY SICKNESS WITHOUT EVEN TELLING ME ABOUT IT?!" she shouted.

"Gosh! I told you not to shout!" said Chorong as she came out. "Of course I would tell her that, otherwise we're going to have misunderstandings!" she continued.

"B-But then, I feel embarassed because I should be telling her that first....." mumbled Bomi with a pout.

Chorong and Irene looked at each other and bursted in a laugh. Never before had they seen such a cute side of Bomi before. It was almost like a child who wanted to apologize for the first time yet instead, the mother did it on her behalf. With their differences settled without any misunderstandings, Bomi was finally able to work in peace, knowing that she had been forgiven for her childish actions.

It had been yet another busy day at the restaurant, but they couldn't complain. It simply meant good business because customers kept coming back for Chorong's speciality chicken feet. No one really knows the secret behind the recipe, even her own wife wasn't given a peek. Indeed, Chorong was truly a woman of many secrets.

"Subin-ah! Clean up the table!" ordered Bomi as she was busy at the cashier, receiving the bills from customers who lined up one by one, after completing a satifying lunch.

"Yes sir, your total is 25,000 won." said Bomi as she recieved the cash in hand. "Thank you." she continued as she keyed in the details. But for some reason, she felt rather fuzzy and light-headed. She assumed it was due to the lack of sleep recently. But her vision was becoming slighty blurry and she was breaking out in cold sweat.

"Crap, have I been working too hard?" The girl thought to herself.

"Excuse me, could you hurry up? I have a meeting to catch." said the customer in front of her.

"A-Ah! Yes, sorry!" said Bomi as she handed the change.

"Um, you gave me 120 won short."

"Sorry!" apologized Bomi with a bow as she proceeded to open the cash register to get the remaining 120 won. But yet, why wasn't her hands moving the way she wanted to. It seemed so surreal, like she was seeing double visions of cash.

And in that moment, she felt herself falling without her own will. Slowly, crashing to the floor with a loud thud, before darkness consumed her.

The last thing she could hear, was her wife.

"Bom-ah!!"

 

 

 


 

 

 

"Move outta the way!" shouted one of the male nurses as a group of them pushed one of the bed straight into the emergency operation room. The patient had an oxygen mask over and clearly, unconcious as her lips were turning pale.

Within a blink of an eye, they disappeared as things started to get busy inside the room with the red light switched on, signalling an operation in progress. Along the corridor, two women had their backs against the wall as they seemed clearly flustered and worried.

"It's going to be fine. Don't worry about it, Chorong-ah." said Irene as she patted her friend's shoulder. It was all she could do to give comfort. But after noticing the girl going quiet, she turned and looked at her. Chorong was in tears. Immediately, Irene pulled her into a warm embrace. She didn't need to say anything because in such a stressful situation like this, sometimes a hug was the only thing that could help her.

"Irene-ah.."

"Yes Chorong-ah?"

"I feel so stupid..."

"Why are you saying that?"

"Bomi....that idiot had a drug overdose....."

"What do you mean?"

"I knew it from the start. She was taking medication for her mental illness but that fool thought she would get healed faster if she ate more dosage than the actual times recommended. She was supposed to take it only once a day. She started taking it twice a day and then, three times a day. I knew what she was doing, yet, why couldn't I stop her? Why couldn't I stop her?" sobbed Chorong who could only cry on her only friend's shoulder.

 

"Bom-ah, you can't just suddenly consume so many pills in one day! Are you crazy?" 

"Unnie, I want to get better quicker for you. I don't want you to see me sick anymore. I don't want to have the burden of you having to follow me every single time to the therapy centre."

"But even so, medicine doesn't work that way! Rather than getting well, you're going to get worst!"

"Unnie, do you love me?"

"Why are you suddenly asking me that question?"

"I'm asking if you trust me."

"......."

"Unnie. I don't want to get sick anymore. I want to become healthy for you."

"But you just can't-"

"No buts. You're always ordering me around, why can't you listen to me once?"

Chorong hesitated. She knew this was a very bad decision, yet why couldn't she stop her? Was it because Bomi stared at her with those puppy eyes, almost as if begging her to do it? Or was it because she was just too kind that she didn't want to hurt her? It was difficult and complicated.

 

"Sometimes, love works in the strangest ways Chorong-ah. Even when you know it's going to hurt, you just can't seem to stop her from doing what she wants. Because you love her so much that you can't object her decision no matter how stupid it can get." said Irene.

As she noticed her friend, still sobbing, she felt that it was the moment to tell her something. Something that she had never told anyone.

"That's why love is dangerous too unnie. One mistake and you might just end up hurting each other. I don't want you to end up like me. I still can't forget how my girlfriend, Wendy passed away because of my actions." she confessed.

 

 

 


 

 

 

A sigh broke out in the lawyer's office. Hayoung had wondered if she really liked her job. For about three years now, she worked hard to help others in the name of justice. Indeed, she did find a small sense of happiness whenever justice was served but was this really what she wanted? At times, she dreaded coming to work everyday and just wanted to stay at home, or be where her wife was. Every morning, Namjoo had to convince and motivate her, to get out of bed and head for work. Of course, at the price of soft kisses always seemed to work.  

Laying her head on the desk as she stared at the pile of paperwork awaiting, she sighed again.

"I miss my wife." she mumbled, closing her eyes, wanting to catch as much time she could to rest, even for just a moment.

She had been thinking of many ways to spend her weekends together with her wife, since Namjoo insisted to start working so early, despite being offered a three whole months break.

"We could go on a road trip together or even on a food tour around Seoul. Namjoo unnie loves to eat all kinds of stuff but then she'll complain about her getting fat." she mumbled to herself. And all of the sudden she laughed. "I should about her getting fat. It's cute to see her reactions." she smiled. Thinking about her wife, made her happy.

It was in that moment, her phone rang. 

"Could that be Namjoo unnie?" The girl wondered in excitement.

But instead, the caller was Sungjae, Namjoo's college friend and current assistant. The younger girl raised her eyebrows. Sungjae has never really called Hayoung before. She simply saved his number for "emergency" purposes as anything could happen at the hospital and the only person she could trust, was Sungjae.

"Hello? Sungjae oppa? It's rare of you to call me." the girl answered.

"Hayoung-ah. I want you to remain calm. Do not get angry. Do not get furious as to what I'm about to say." said Sungjae with a very much, shaken voice.

"What's wrong oppa?"

"I'm sorry. I'm so, so, sorry. I can't believe my wife did this. I'm at fault."

"Sungjae oppa? Did...something happen?" said Hayoung, catching up quickly after noticing the change in Sungjae's tone. Usually, he was always very bright but today, it seemed very depressing.

"Come to the hospital right now. My wife, Joy had a fight with Namjoo and she....she ing pushed her down the stairs. She's-" Before Sungjae could even continue, the line got cut off. Immediately, Hayoung's smile was lost. Standing up from her seat, she almost wanted to punch the wall or even break the glass from her office's window. She had never felt so much anger, boiling in her heart.

"That ing ." mumbled Hayoung as she left her office, started her car and quickly rushed over to Seoul Hospital.

 

 

 


 

 

 

Eunji was completely helpless. Never before in her life, had she felt this small and useless. With a duct tape over , a black bag over her head as her hands were tied behind her back, she had no idea where this mysterious black van was taking her. Just what on earth does Lee Corporations plan to do with her? What kind of revenge is Lee Taemin plotting against her?

"This ing bastard is making use of his royalty title like a douchebag, this er."  thought Eunji. She made up several assumptions that could happen and they clearly weren't very pleasant.

One. She could be beaten up, kicked, punched and get all sorts of injuries on her. She could even die.

Two. She could be transported to a port where the mysterious men could suddenly drop her off in the sea and no one would ever notice. Yes, she could die as well.

Three. She could be used as a object. After all, her enemies were men. What else could they do to satisfy their lust with a single woman.

Either way, it didn't matter. As long as her wife, Naeun wasn't involved in this, she didn't mind getting hurt. But then again, she felt a very strange, disturbing feeling as the van soon, stopped.

"Get out." said a man as Eunji was forced out, finding her feet on flat ground as she continued to walk. She couldn't see due to the black bag over her face, but she took note of her surroundings using all available senses. What were the things she could hear? Feel? Smell?

Suddenly, she was forced to sit down on a chair as her hands were now tied to it.

"Allow me to begin the show. This will teach you a lesson not to mess with the Lee Corporations." said Taemin as he signalled his men to take off the bag from Eunji's face.

Bright light shone against her as she squinted her eyes, before getting hold of her surroudings. It was an empty warehouse yet there was someone sitting in front of her, with Taemin right beside.

"."

As her vision began to focus, she realised who was sitting in front of her. 

It was her dear wife, Son Naeun. Lips tightly pasted over duct tape, hands tied behind, she was in the same position as her. Just from one look at her eyes, there was only fear instilled.

"Surprise Miss Eunji, how about you have a taste of how things run in the Lee Corporations?" smirked Taemin as he gently traced his fingers down from Naeun's collarbone to her shoulder.

 

--

 


 

A/N: After all the fluffy, heart-warming flashback chapters, we're back with the solid reality. Taemin really wasn't joking when he said not to mess with the Lee Corporations. When we thought Joy was gonna keep quiet with Hayoung's incident, looks like there was a motive behind it all along! And oh god, pabomi really?! Chorong is really such a kind angel I swear, she needs to stop being so soft on her wife even when she knew it was going to affect Bomi's health. So many things are happening, how will things continue from here? Do share your thoughts on this chapter and I will update soon!

 

P.S I'm a lowkey reveluv and I'm so sorry baby Joy for making you a villian pls forgive me XD