But at what cost

Have we met before?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/n: Hi everyone, just wanted to once again thank all of you who commented, subscribed and upvoted. I'm glad everyone is still interested, and the story from here on out should get more interesting. So please enjoy chapter 4 ^^

 

The morphine shot was instant as the monolid female felt her body relax. She sank down into the bed with gentle, easy breathes.

 

"Are you okay to talk, kiddo?" Hyoyeon asked concerned. She anticipated some level of pain upon waking, given how her body had been recovered.

 

"Where am I?"

 

"You're safe. That's all I can tell you for now. I'm, Dr. Kim Hyoyeon. Do you remember me?"

 

When she doesn't answer right away. Hyoyeon looked sympathetic. She already saw the signs in the lack of recognition, in her bright-brown colored eyes. Hyoyeon placed her hand over her shoulder.

 

"It's, okay"

 

"I'm sorry. Was I supposed to remember?"

 

"I anticipated something like this happening. Right now, it's more important that you're awake. I'll have to run some tests for precautions. Ah, don't worry. Our boss is on the way. She'll want to talk to you."

 

"Boss....what boss?" Her head felt as if it was spinning. Hyoyeon busied herself with an IV. 

 

"This will help with the lightheaded feeling. Close your eyes, and rest for a bit."

 

The blonde doctor sighed in relief. Physically she was fine. Not having any memories, though was an entirely different story. They would have to address it eventually.

 

"The project is a success, but..." The doctor gazed at her patient. "At what cost I wonder."

 

Hyoyeon steps out to meet the Director first. She needs to be warned ahead of time about what she'll be facing. When Hyoyeon herself received the silent alarm that her patient was waking up. She immediately notified her boss then proceeded to check on her. It had been a mistake on her part. What she should have done was observe the patient first before telling her boss. The blonde doctor hears the sounds of boots hitting the ground before she even sees the director, who is soon turning sharply down the hall.

 

"Hyo," She notices her. "Is this for real? She's awake?"

 

"Yes..." At least, she can safely assure that much. "But wait, when you talk to her, be careful."

 

The brunette director raises a perfectly shaped eyebrow to her. "Be careful of what?" She asks in a genuinely curious tone.

 

"Just..." Hyoyeon sighs. "Just be careful."

 

The director nods before entering the room with Hyoyeon following closely behind her. When she sees the patient is indeed awake, and sitting upright in bed. There is relief flooding through every inch of her body. They all waited such a long time for this moment.

 

"You're...you're really awake."

 

Sharp monolid eyes slowly look up at the new voice. There is now another petite woman just like the blonde. But has deep redish-brown locks, bright red lipstick, wide cat-like eyes, thin lips, and a regal sharp nose. There is also nothing familiar about this person to her.

 

"Was I not supposed to be?"

 

The director makes strides for her. She places both hands to her face. Then in a uncharacteristic move of their leader. She proceeds to hug the woman in bed. 

 

"You have no idea how relieved I am." There's some emotion in her voice that Hyoyeon notes.

 

"Miss, I...."

 

The director quickly pulls back, as if she had been burned. She then looks back at the blonde doctor, who only gives a sad nod.

 

"You have no idea who I am." The brunette states matter-factly.

 

"No, should I."

 

"Yes you certainly should." Are the unspoken words. However, the boss doesn't say or give away her true feelings.

 

"I am, Director Jung." There is no response or recognition whatsoever, so she tries again.

 

"Jung Jessica." She tries to give her hand for a handshake, in which the patient does shake.

 

"I'm sorry, but..."

 

"Jung Sooyeon." She tries a more personal touch in the use of her Korean name. "You used to call me Sooyeon-unnie until I made you call me Jessica." The director runs her fingers through blonde locks before turning to Hyoyeon with eyebrow raised. Hyoyeon only grins.

 

"I'm sorry....I...." The woman swallows. Hyoyeon carefully hands over a cup of water. It has been three years after all since any words had been spoken.

 

"Take your time." Hyoyeon tells her softly.

 

"I will leave you to rest. We need to talk after you've had a meal at least. I'll be back." Jessica says no more before walking away. Hyoyeon mutters an apology and assures her that a nurse will be in shortly, after she's rested some more. The blonde then runs after Jessica.

 

"Yah, Sica wait."

 

Jessica turns sharply, staring at her friend. "Blonde, Hyo! You made her blonde." She pulls out a picture of a beautiful brunette with monolids who is smiling.

 

"Hey! I basically had to reconstruct her almost from scratch. You saw how her body looked when we found her. She looks exactly the same, minus blonde hair. Besides, when she's fit for duty again. You said it would be best if people didn't recognize her right away."

 

Jessica remembers exactly what her intstructions were. She can not deny that Hyoyeon did exceptional work. She does look like exactly like the photo. The director remembers all too well. The physical state she was in, with nearly all of her body covered in burns, looking not even really much like a body. Hovering between life and death for the first year alone.

 

"I'm not ungrateful, Hyo. I promise. You pulled off a miracle. Her lack of memories, that is concerning."

 

"I think it's temporary. She went through a deep psychological trauma. We'll see how she responds to Jisoo and Eunbi. Before we have her working again."

 

"I don't think she's ready to step foot out on missions. Not until I now that she remembers her training."

 

Hyoyeon scoffed at the thought. No one forgets training in their organization. It simply becomes a part of you, like a second skin. As natural as breathing.

 

"She was personally trained by you, Sica. I don't think she'll completely forget. Oh,...." Hyoyeon pauses with reluctance in her voice.

 

"What is it, Hyo? You seem troubled."

 

"There is one other thing while I was out with Eunbi. We saw Joohyun."

 

The brunette freezes on the spot upon hearing that name, but her facial expression remains neutral. Yes, that would certainly present a problem.

 

"Did she see you?"

 

"No, I managed to pull Eunbi away before she could see us. Well, before see  could see me rather. Sica, if Joohyun runs into her at any point." Now imagining the probably inevitability of them seeing one another.

 

"It could complicate things I know." Jessica nods. "We'll deal with that when the situation calls for it. Now I have a meeting to attend, Hyo." She whispers. "Thank you."

 

"Hey I love that kid too you know. I'll do anything for her."

 

"I know, blonde though." She shakes her head.

 

"I know. I have all this fancy high tech equipment here, but sadly would you believe no brown hair-dye." She jokes. "Seriously though it looks good. She looks hot." Hyoyeon laughs then looks serious. "Sica, she'll be okay. We'll help her until she's back to 100 percent. Nothing keeps our gomdori down for long."

 

Choi Jinri throws herself on to her couch the moment she enters her apartment. The dark-haired detective has just worked a 12 hour shift and wants to sleep, only her personal cell phone begins ringing.

 

"Ugh, let me live please." She tries to ignore said call, by placing a pillow over her head. The caller only continues to call. Clearly having no intention of letting her live. Jinri opened her eyes and hits answer.

 

"Do you have any idea how exhausted I am? Well do you!"

 

"Hi, Jinri-unnie." There is a very cheerful voice interrupting her rant. Jinri sits up at her younger cousins voice.

 

"Sooyoungie?"

 

"Yah, unnie. It's Joy...remember?"

 

Jinri only chuckles. "You're always Sooyoung to me. I mean "Joy" really."

 

"Anyway, unnie. Are you busy, I kind of need a favor."

 

"What does my favorite cousin need. I may consider it."

 

"Well, Jinri-unnie it's about Seulgi-unnie."

 

The smile on Jinri's face fades ever so slightly. Seulgi was her good friend in High School. They even had a dance group with some of their other friends, and were actually pretty good. She still can't believe it's been three years already.

 

"What about Seul?"

 

"Well, it's more for Joohyun-unnie. You know how hurt she's been about what happened. Um, she thinks Seulgi-unnie is alive."

 

Jinri drops the phone at that admission. The sound alerts Joy freaking her out in the process. "Unnie, unnie, are you okay?"

 

"Yes I'm fine. Um, I heard those police closed the case."

 

"They did. But you should hear how determined Joohyun-unnie is. She's really serious and none of us want her to deal with any of this alone."

 

"I still remember how nervous our bear was for their first date." Jinri smiles at the thought. "Joy, it's a long shot you know.... the car was nothing but melted metal, and ash by the time the smoke cleared." She has a friend on that force. She was able to see the crime scene photo's. They were rather gruesome.

 

"Unnie, they didn't find a body. Please, we need your help. I hate seeing Joohyun-unnie so miserable. She loved Seulgi-unnie more than anything."

 

Jinri swallows nervously. She has superiors that she reports to. They may or not agree to her request. This is true. But the thought of not helping Joohyun hurts her more. The older woman has always been a good friend, always looking out for them. Jinri knows that she is the love of Seulgi's life, and vice versa.

 

"I'll do what I can. Maybe if you could come over with Joohyun-unnie. I need to discuss this with her."

 

"Right, thank you, Jinri-unnie." Joy sounds relieved. "We'll be over in a bit."

 

"Yah, bring food and drinks. I'm starving and way too tired to cook for all of you."

 

"Hm, typical lazy unnie."

 

"Yah, you little brat. You should remember who's helping you."

 

"I know. I'll get Seungwan-unnie to make something. I'm sure she w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter